IGNORED

Puyol

we do but think of our striker crisis and how we coped...now what happens if we have a defensive crisis?

People capable of playing striker:

Yakubu

Saha

Anichebe

Vaughan

Fellaini

Cahill

People capable of playing defence:

Jagielka

Lescott

Yobo

Baines

Neville

Hibbert

Jacobsen

This year we had 4 strikers out, and we coped....would the same count for the defence?

Lose Jags, Lescott, Yobo and Baines and what have we got...

I don't want Lescott to play left back ever again, so we need cover there. Right back is ok at the mo, but we definately need some cover for central defence. Jags will probably miss the start of the season, Yakubu and Arteta should make it back. But if Yobo or Lescott got injured pre-season we'd start with 1 centre back.

And as United showed a solid defence is key to winning games. If you don't let in goals the worst you can do is draw, at the start of the season we were leaking goals, since we solidified at the back we have been so much stronger. Chelsea haven't scored against us all season, United only scored twice in 300 mins, and we drew twice with Pool and beat em once.

The proof is in the pudding, we played shit after Arteta got injured, but we drew 2 games 0-0 and won two games by 2 goals. Conceeding 1 in 4. We smashed teams like Wigan and Bolton 4-0. I don't think we really suffer that much in attack, especially when the Yak is firing again and we have Arteta back. I'm actually really excited if we can keep everyone fit next year, Moyes' Army could actually push higher.

And a defence where we can get a record number of clean sheets is necessary, whether we acquire strikers or not is another story. We know we can cope without them, but we don't know if we could cope with losing 2 centre backs. So I'm pleased by the rumours because it says Moyes wants to get thsi bit of business done with and get a defender ASAP so he doesn't have to worry and can focus on other areas. Lars was a fluke, he could have been bloody awful but he's half decent, I don't want to take that risk again.

As the article is in German ;)

The club from Liverpool want 10 million euros for the interior of the FC Barcelona defender on the table

Everton FC has it on Carles Puyol apart. The club from Liverpool FC Barcelona offers 10 million euros for the defender of the Catalan interior. The 31-year-old defensive player, since the youth for the Champions League finalists and played for ten years in the first team squad stands, stands with Barça until summer 2010 contract. Puyol graduated 72 matches for Spain and scored with two goals for the European champions of 2008.

we do but think of our striker crisis and how we coped...now what happens if we have a defensive crisis?

People capable of playing striker:

Yakubu

Saha

Anichebe

Vaughan

Fellaini

Cahill

People capable of playing defence:

Jagielka

Lescott

Yobo

Baines

Neville

Hibbert

Jacobsen

This year we had 4 strikers out, and we coped....would the same count for the defence?

Lose Jags, Lescott, Yobo and Baines and what have we got...

I don't want Lescott to play left back ever again, so we need cover there. Right back is ok at the mo, but we definately need some cover for central defence. Jags will probably miss the start of the season, Yakubu and Arteta should make it back. But if Yobo or Lescott got injured pre-season we'd start with 1 centre back.

And as United showed a solid defence is key to winning games. If you don't let in goals the worst you can do is draw, at the start of the season we were leaking goals, since we solidified at the back we have been so much stronger. Chelsea haven't scored against us all season, United only scored twice in 300 mins, and we drew twice with Pool and beat em once.

The proof is in the pudding, we played shit after Arteta got injured, but we drew 2 games 0-0 and won two games by 2 goals. Conceeding 1 in 4. We smashed teams like Wigan and Bolton 4-0. I don't think we really suffer that much in attack, especially when the Yak is firing again and we have Arteta back. I'm actually really excited if we can keep everyone fit next year, Moyes' Army could actually push higher.

And a defence where we can get a record number of clean sheets is necessary, whether we acquire strikers or not is another story. We know we can cope without them, but we don't know if we could cope with losing 2 centre backs. So I'm pleased by the rumours because it says Moyes wants to get thsi bit of business done with and get a defender ASAP so he doesn't have to worry and can focus on other areas. Lars was a fluke, he could have been bloody awful but he's half decent, I don't want to take that risk again.

I agree with what your saying but why do you say Lars was a fluke?

Oh and you missed Nuno, Coulman and Rodwell as defenders although admittedly the latter 2 have little or no experience in the Prem

Nuno will be gone in the summer.

What a strange, strange rumour :huh: .

I agree, this would be the last rumour I'd ever expect. Puyol is captain of Barcelona, has played his entire career there and will probably play out the rest of his career there, so there's no way will he come to us.

I agree, this would be the last rumour I'd ever expect. Puyol is captain of Barcelona, has played his entire career there and will probably play out the rest of his career there, so there's no way will he come to us.

+ i genuinely believe barca thinks he's worth much more than 10m ... he's the rock in their defence, our jagielka.

Guest efctaxi

Barca are noted for not having the best defence .

When you consider they have the most expensive defender in history in their right back , what does it say about the others ?

Moyes is a young player manager according to Kenwright , so would he touch a 31 year old for £10 mill with a barge pole ?

indeed..

I say we should take a look at Onyewu from Standard liege.

He's cheap, he's a American international, and the biggest plus is that he is a beast when it comes to defending.

He's medium fast but tall, has an enormous power, and he's a player strikers are afraid for (in Belgium)

indeed..

I say we should take a look at Onyewu from Standard liege.

He's cheap, he's a American international, and the biggest plus is that he is a beast when it comes to defending.

He's medium fast but tall, has an enormous power, and he's a player strikers are afraid for (in Belgium)

prone to mistakes and had an unsuccesful spell at newcastle ... he's been looking for a transfer to a top team for two years now and still hasn't gotten it.. this year he had yet another goodbye party with the fans (his third if I'm counting correctly) ..

one player I certainly hope we don't sign.

aston villa have just launched a 5.6m bid for Juhasz , a defender for Anderlecht .. he's a much better defender and would fit in with us .. he can play both LCB and RCB and is a threat in the air.

Can we put this Puyol one to bed please?! I saw it on newsnow and just ignored it as fooked up translation or the german/dutch/wherever it's froms equivalent to footballrumours.com. He's just won the Euro Cup with Barca - he was captain, he still plays most of the time - a move to Milan maybe - Everton no!!!