79 replies to this topic

#41 GMorrison183

GMorrison183

Wayne Rooney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 Feb 2008 - 00:47

I don't really put much stock into Carl's opinion on this one: he mentioned in another thread one of the reasons he dislikes AJ is he runs annoyingly :P

AJ's work rate makes it that much easier for the Yak, Cahill, Osman, and others to get open. Once he is back to 100% confidence he will be a great compliment to Yak. AJ works well off another forward - just look to last season to see what he is capable of.

Pretty plain and simple on this one.

#42 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 16 Feb 2008 - 13:05

ACCORDING to Nike, the fastest footballer in the Premier League is currently Cristiano Ronaldo, with Andrew Johnson and Fernando Torres just a dip-finish behind.

Nike figures tracked Ronaldo at 20.9mph without a ball at his feet, an incredible 20.8mph with a ball; Johnson’s times were 20.6 and 20.7mph (slightly faster after he’s been volleyed into orbit by Andre Ooijer), while Torres clocked 20.5 and 20.6mph.

What Nike failed to point out, however, is that their top 10 only featured footballers sponsored by . . . Nike.

Hmmm...

#43 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 16 Feb 2008 - 13:35

a few points really.

the running faster with the ball is like someone else said with the greyhound an hare. its having a target to run onto can get extra pace, im sure it doesnt mean the split second the player touches the ball.

secondly, throwing vaughan into every game is a big risk for the player. best case scenario, he comes into the fold, scores every game. or he goes on a bad run, doesnt score in ten games, his confidence is shot, killing his development as a player, taking away the enthusiasm he has right now and him soon enough sliding down the divisions.
its happened with so many young players who have been thrown in.
luck has a big part in it. gerarrd wasnt thown in, they spent a few seasons bringing him through, worked out great.we tried the same with rooney, then he goes to united and never misses a game.
look at all the others we have thrown in who had the potential, how many stayedin top flight?
jeffers?cadamarteri?

#44 Pat

Pat

"Former Coca Cola Yo Yo Championship Runner Up"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 16 Feb 2008 - 20:35

Do u think 6 months away, 20 0dd full lower div games say from the start of next seez , bee benificial 4 Vaughan ?

Did wonders 4 Ozzy.

#45 Madmatt

Madmatt

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 Feb 2008 - 21:52

i have just sat here and read these last few pages with my mouth open. i dont post alot, i like to read what my fellow evertonians are thinking etc.

I cant believe people are seriously saying sell AJ etc 8million etc... This guy runs his socks off for us, and if it wasnt for a few dodgy decsions he would have atleast 2 more goals that i can think of off the top of my head, and those 2 goals would have produced more from the confidance it would have developed. it is a simple lack of confidance, but he will come good. Form is temporary, Class is perminant.

But also, i have to add this, his running etc, tearing the defence apart, how many goals do u think that has got us? his running means the yak doesnt have to! give me AJ over most of the attackers in the premiership any day thanks!

Vaughen and Vic are going to be class, the yak and aj can only teach them great things. I firmly belive that vaughen and aj are very simular, and Yak and vic are to. this gives us 4 of the best strikers in the prem when on fire and u want to sell one or loan one out???

#46 StevO

StevO

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 17 Feb 2008 - 13:48

Do u think 6 months away, 20 0dd full lower div games say from the start of next seez , bee benificial 4 Vaughan ?

Did wonders 4 Ozzy.

in my opinion pat, id like us to bring in a forward thats getting on a bit for cover, maybe forsell if he could stay fit, and send vic and vaughan up to alan irvine at preston for a full season. they would more than likely both play every game, i think it would aid them big time

#47 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 21:57

coincidence? any of you haters/doubters want to evaluate that performance...the first time with a decent team behind him?
i'm not saying one swallow makes a summer (although it did for me in '05 ;)) but if anyone tells me that AJ wasn't fantastic tonight, they're either blind, retarded or completely ignorant.

i for one am made up for aj, absolutely delighted for him.

#48 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:00

That was easily the best AJ has played in 12 months, he looked quick, dangerous and seemed to rediscover his brain for the first time in a long time. If he keeps playing like that then brilliant, he and Yakubu showed the first signs of an excellent partnership as well. 2 great goals, although a decent goalie would have saved both, and the only blemish was hitting the post when really he should have buried it, but for the first time this season he actually ran with a purpose rather than just aimlessly going through the motions. Well done AJ, that's more like it. How good is YAkubu, the 11m we paid for him looks like a bargain, 2 brilliant goals and in the right place for the 3rd, 3 chances - 3 goals, clinical. Great to see Pienaar back and Arteta seemed to be finding some form, he's so composed in dangerous areas. It has to be said, we were rubbish for 30 mins and still looked suspect in 442 defensively, also Brann are quite obviously inept so we can't get too carried away, just need to beat City now and we could go and get 4th place and win the UEFA :D

Lastly, another awful performance from Fernandez who AGAIN nearly cost us a goal by losing the ball in a terrible part of the pitch by messing around, I can't see us signing him in the Summer and on the form he's displayed so far, I wouldn't want him anyway.

#49 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:02

coincidence? any of you haters/doubters want to evaluate that performance...the first time with a decent team behind him?
i'm not saying one swallow makes a summer (although it did for me in '05 ;)) but if anyone tells me that AJ wasn't fantastic tonight, they're either blind, retarded or completely ignorant.

i for one am made up for aj, absolutely delighted for him.

yes he played well, see my other post, but he did miss a sitter and let's be honest, Brann are rubbish - but yes, no arguments, that's the best he's played in a LONG time and he finally looked worth £9m.

#50 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:06

I'm with craccer...and the "sitter" was well saved, not missed. Decent keeper may well have saved the first, but not the second imo.

Edited by MikeO, 21 Feb 2008 - 22:09.

#51 Madmatt

Madmatt

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:15

agree with mike and craccer. The keeper saved the second, first might have been saved but he took him by suprise from a difficult angle. the partnership really gets me excited! but....i dont think we can play cahill with the yak and AJ. Pip did seem better playing in midfield tonight than usual...

#52 savo

savo

Joe Parkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:42

I thought he was outstanding. He never stoped running for the full 90min his workrate is unbeliveable and he took his goals realli well he looked great with the yak and i fink with all his hard work runing it has made yak try harder as he was lazy wen he first come well done blue boys

#53 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 22:56

mom for me, comfortably btw

#54 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2008 - 23:03

Andy Johnson!.......Never doubted you!

That's what a bit of confidence does for you.OH!.....and not a small amount of decent service.

To say Brann are crap is a bit much! Yes thay kinda gave up towards the end, but began strongly and never gave us any space.For half an hour they played well, once we got to grips with their system and settled, we made them look poor at times.

It's true Cahill doesn't seem to shine with two up front!

Strong team with one up front!...........Strong team with two up front!......Happy days.

#55 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 09:35

Doesn't really matter if the GK saved AJ's shot, he shouldn't have given him a chance, but as I said, he was excellent and comfortably man of the match. The worry now is who do we play in 442 in CM, Cahill (as I think many of us have suspected for some time) isn't very good in a 4 man midfield, then there is Fernandez who has been an absolutely massive disappointment so far and doesn't deserve to play, Neville just constantly fouled when he played in CM last night (and he can't play with Carsley anyway - too negative) and Osman is unproven in a 442 in CM. Personally I'd go for Osman, he has the best touch, vision, great workrate and is in the best form - I think he deserves a chance. Be interesting to see if Moyes sticks with the 442 against City, he sort of has to after last night but City will really show whether we can deliver in a 442 and whether Yak and AJ can do the business as a partnership against a decent team.

#56 jofanon

jofanon

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 10:03

What we pleased me the most last night was be were able to play 4-4-2. We know we can play 4-5-1 but we need to be able to chop and change. This is the first time I've seen AJ and Yak be effective together.

I would imagine 4-5-1 will remain our preferred line up though.

Still hate AJ's TV interviews though. He like a slightly uglier Beckham clone!

#57 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 11:44

Yep well played AJ, cracking second goal!
Let's hope he can continue to play like this and not like every other game he has played so far...

#58 chicagoblue

chicagoblue

Bubbles

• Members
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 15:59

i'm not saying one swallow makes a summer (although it did for me in '05 ;))

Ha. Very nice, yes.

Not sure if anyone remembers the first leg but Hakan Opdal (their keeper) was no slouch. I'm fairly certain he's far and away the best in their league. The finishing was clinical from both Yakubu and AJ and if they can keep that up we'll cruise right through City and beyond.

Only wish I had the time/money to get to Fiorentina for the next tie.

#59 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,198 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 16:05

Carl - the keeper should have saved AJ's second? :huh: Are you blind?

I thought AJ was excellent last night and the perfect foil for Yak to work with. Their defenders were scared of AJ's pace and that gave Yak the room he needed. A good partnership in the making.

#60 GMorrison183

GMorrison183

Wayne Rooney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 16:38

I thought AJ was excellent last night and the perfect foil for Yak to work with. Their defenders were scared of AJ's pace and that gave Yak the room he needed. A good partnership in the making.

I agree, AJ's 1st goal was very well placed and the 2nd goal was brilliant. I think some members need to step away from footie manager. The only goal that shouldn't have went in was Brann's last night.

#61 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 16:40

Yakubu's 2nd and Artetas should'nt of gone in.

#62 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,198 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 16:45

Why Yakubu's second?

#63 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 16:52

Looking at it again today I don't think Petr Cech on speed would have got close to it.

And there goal was a bit of a cock-up. For some reason Jags pulled out of clearing it....presumably because he didn't want to deflect it. Nice to get the mistakes out of the way in a game where we score six instead of next Monday :) .

#64 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 17:48

don't think it was jags fault.... he shouldn't be clearing that ball, it's a comfortable gather for howard, if howard had done his job correctly he would have been prepared and taken it with ease...that wouldn't have happened with a top goalie.

#65 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 17:59

don't think it was jags fault.... he shouldn't be clearing that ball, it's a comfortable gather for howard, if howard had done his job correctly he would have been prepared and taken it with ease...that wouldn't have happened with a top goalie.

Not blaming him entirely but he made the decision to leave it too late imo. He was briefly in two minds which caused Howard to be the same....maybe Tim should have called, dunno, but joint responsibility in my view.

#66 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 18:10

in a situation like that IMO it always comes down to the keeper, that's why i don't think howard had a go at jags, because he obviously didn't call and regardless he should have been aware, it's what a goalie needs to do. straight down the middle of the goal, jags can't afford to kick it and send it our for a corner or risk slicing it in when it's a routine gather for the keeper. it's like in cricket when there's a runout or in work when there's a task manager kind of thing, as a goalie it was howards call and he failed to make it.

now i think tim was a good buy, but he does make mistakes sometimes, and i think he'd be the first to admit that he was at fault for that goal. unless there is a wicked deflection, a goalkeeper should never be beaten in that area, regardless.

#67 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 19:51

unless there is a wicked deflection, a goalkeeper should never be beaten in that area, regardless.

Wouldn't disagree with that....

(actually I'm not allowed to disagree with you any more under section five of the "clique" rules that were sent to you when you passed 3,000 posts ;) )

#68 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,504 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 20:22

Cant blame either of them really, if you look back and study it, the shot was a daisy cutter all the way until it bounced on the 6 yard line, then it shot up above and over Howards body. was probably a bad bounce/bobble call it what you want, but the ball ended up higher at the point of entry than it was when it left his foot, a freak goal. IMO. :)

#69 Ian

Ian

Monkey Tennis?

• Members
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2008 - 21:06

I think AJ showed what he was all about last night.

He took his goals brilliantly (his first goal was a smart finish and the second was superb).

I think I may start to feel smug over the comming weeks :D

#70 StevO

StevO

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 23 Feb 2008 - 09:21

are you mad? it was a great finish!
he shaped to play to the far post and suprised the keeper. probably the cleverest finish on the night imo

#71 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 23 Feb 2008 - 15:02

Wouldn't disagree with that....

(actually I'm not allowed to disagree with you any more under section five of the "clique" rules that were sent to you when you passed 3,000 posts ;) )

haha i didn't realise i had, i feel like i wasonce a jew, and now i'm hitler

#72 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 25 Feb 2008 - 09:33

are you mad? it was a great finish!
he shaped to play to the far post and suprised the keeper. probably the cleverest finish on the night imo

Maybe it was his third then, the one where pienaar ran down thte wing and somehow it scrambled to the Yak at the back post.

#73 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,464 posts

Posted 25 Feb 2008 - 09:52

Maybe it was his third then, the one where pienaar ran down thte wing and somehow it scrambled to the Yak at the back post.

He'd have looked pretty bloody stupid if it hadn't gone in, he was two yards out with an open goal.

What you mean is that he was lucky to get the ball in the first place which is something completely different.

#74 barryj

barryj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 Feb 2008 - 10:04

If goals like Yaks third are called lucky then I'm sure we can nit pick nearly any goal. If there were no mistakes most games would be 0-0!!

#75 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 Feb 2008 - 16:38

I only saw the replays at the time but to me, AJ's first the goalie got two hands on and should have saved, the 2nd ended up virtually in the middle of the goal, albeit in the roof of the net. The goalie was well off his line and out of position, two brilliant strikes from AJ - you couldn't ask any more from him - all I'm saying is I would have been disappointed had Howard let them in. If I was mistaken then so be it, I'll have a watch on youtube when I finish work. But let's remember, Brann were diabolical (don't kid yourselves, they were a total shambles whenever we strung two decent passes together) even if they were game and deserved their goal. They were only just starting pre-season and looked a poor poor team, if AJ and Yakubu can do the same to City then AJ really will start to win some favour with me, but I have my doubts as Dunne and Richards are good players and against good players, so far this season, AJ has looked out of his depth. Nothing would make me happier than a repeat of Brann tonight, all the results went badly for us at the weekend, we NEED a result tonight so come on AJ and the YAK! :D

#76 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 Feb 2008 - 16:43

Howard IS a top goalie. I can't believe you'd have a dig at Howard, what goalie doesn't make mistakes? (just look at Cech in yesterday's cup final) In the year and a half Howard has been with us you could probably count the mistakes he has made on one hand, he has been absolutely superb for us, consistently and has been an inspired signing. How you can label him anything other than a top goalie is beyond me.

However, I do agree it was his fault against Brann, Jags could have done better but Howard has to save that.

#77 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 Feb 2008 - 10:33

He'd have looked pretty bloody stupid if it hadn't gone in, he was two yards out with an open goal.

What you mean is that he was lucky to get the ball in the first place which is something completely different.

Presicely(Spelling :blink: ) went past 2/3 defenders and a goalkeeper. shouldnt have even got to him, glad it did thou

Carl, i do think Howard is a good shot stopper, but when we are defending a corner he is hopeless! and crosses.

Edited by jacko1990, 26 Feb 2008 - 10:34.

#78 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 26 Feb 2008 - 10:43

Presicely(Spelling :blink: ) went past 2/3 defenders and a goalkeeper. shouldnt have even got to him, glad it did thou

Carl, i do think Howard is a good shot stopper, but when we are defending a corner he is hopeless! and crosses.

I think he's just lost a bit of confidence on crosses at the moment, he'll get it back. I thought Nigel Martyn was absolutely abysmal on crosses, he very rarely came for them and when he did it was usually a disaster. I think Howard has been a brilliant signing, particularly as I would assume he was a fairly decent price.

#79 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 26 Feb 2008 - 10:50

Howard IS a top goalie. I can't believe you'd have a dig at Howard, what goalie doesn't make mistakes? (just look at Cech in yesterday's cup final) In the year and a half Howard has been with us you could probably count the mistakes he has made on one hand, he has been absolutely superb for us, consistently and has been an inspired signing. How you can label him anything other than a top goalie is beyond me.

However, I do agree it was his fault against Brann, Jags could have done better but Howard has to save that.

he's decent...not top...

#80 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 26 Feb 2008 - 20:15

Howard is better than we have had for years, be satisfied and think of richard wrong

I like the way he is positive and commanding and give the defenders a tourettes fueled rant when they dont close people down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users