• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 jamie2008uk

jamie2008uk

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2008 - 13:22

for the last month or 2, all ive people go about is everton catching liverpool and finishing fourth to get in the champions league. not once have i heard anyone face the stark reality that we may not even get a uefa cup spot next season. portsmouth are only 4 points behind us now, and they have 4 very winnable game left, compared to to our 4 very tricky games( well actually 2 are practically guarenteed defeats) even when we at the top of our game,. we're not exactly setting the world alight at the moment and ive got a really bad feeling that whats been a wonderful season is going to end on a really low note. im not 100% sure whats happening if portsmouth overtake us then win the FA cup. do cardiff get the uefa cup spot or will it go to 6th place in the league

#2 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2008 - 13:26

for the last month or 2, all ive people go about is everton catching liverpool and finishing fourth to get in the champions league. not once have i heard anyone face the stark reality that we may not even get a uefa cup spot next season. portsmouth are only 4 points behind us now, and they have 4 very winnable game left, compared to to our 4 very tricky games( well actually 2 are practically guarenteed defeats) even when we at the top of our game,. we're not exactly setting the world alight at the moment and ive got a really bad feeling that whats been a wonderful season is going to end on a really low note. im not 100% sure whats happening if portsmouth overtake us then win the FA cup. do cardiff get the uefa cup spot or will it go to 6th place in the league

You must not use your eyes very well then. It's been said by a few people on here.

#3 jamie2008uk

jamie2008uk

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2008 - 13:27

You must not use your eyes very well then. It's been said by a few people on here.

i guess i must have missed those threads, some of my friends are everton fans too, and none of them seem to realise the position we're in , just thought i was the only one loking over our shoulder. or is it just me being negative?

Edited by jamie2008uk, 14 Apr 2008 - 13:30.

#4 SheedysRightFoot

SheedysRightFoot

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2008 - 14:04

I tried to talk about it and was dismissed.

Portsmouth are not the problem - they have a UEFA Cup place from the FA Cup, regardless of whether they win it or not.

Aston VIlla are the problem: They will beat Birmingham and Wigan...Everton might get nothing from Arsenal and Chelsea. That puts the teams level on points and, after the results, Villa will have a better goal difference than Everton. So Everton v. Villa is an absolutely VITAL game.

#5 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2008 - 14:26

I tried to talk about it and was dismissed.

That's a bit dramatic, don't think you were dismissed, just alternative viewpoints put. I say again...

"The fact remains that the bookies, the people who aren't affected by the in-built Evertonian panic mechanism and who are in it purely to make money, reckon we're near as damn it a dead cert for top six (1-11) and very strong odds-on favourites (2-9)for fifth."

The chances of us missing out on Europe, with the back up of the Intertoto and possibly Fair Play place qualifier are (imo) extremely remote.

#6 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 09:15

Looks like we have to get 5th now

http://icliverpool.i...-name_page.html

#7 EFCfanatic

EFCfanatic

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 10:38

6 points will be enough I'm sure and so Villa and Newscatle are must win. Any other ponits are a bonus.

#8 adz09

adz09

Dixie Dean.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 11:12

6 points will be enough I'm sure and so Villa and Newscatle are must win. Any other ponits are a bonus.

i completely agree, those two home games are games we CAN win. and i know it is not ideal but the intertoto is always there. (glad he applied now)

#9 JamesN

JamesN

Mikel Arteta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 11:37

now arsenal and chelsea are effectively out of the title race i see those games as ones we can get something out of now

#10 EFCfanatic

EFCfanatic

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 12:37

either that or they turn it on. Arsenal always go mad on our arses when we play them and the end of the season. 7-0 springs to mind. Sure it won't happen this time tho! maybe 5 lmao.

#11 aaron

aaron

Everton Aren't We

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,102 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 14:30

chelsea will be after blood, they still think they can win the title

#12 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 15:16

If we could have put out a full strength squad, Chelsea wouldn't have wanted to come to Goodison having to get three points!!

BUT we don't have a full squad, though what we do have is capable of getting a point from Chelsea.Fernandes is improving each game, we are hard to score against and on their night AJ and Yakubu can score goals.

Chelsea would rather have been going to many places other than Goodison needing a win.

Can't see why our points for 5th place can't start Thursday.

#13 Eduardo9

Eduardo9

Anders Limpar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2008 - 19:37

Could see you boys beating Chelski - they seem to have given up the ghost. Moyesy will have the lads up for this one.

#14 JamesN

JamesN

Mikel Arteta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2008 - 09:57

either that or they turn it on. Arsenal always go mad on our arses when we play them and the end of the season. 7-0 springs to mind. Sure it won't happen this time tho! maybe 5 lmao.

haha wasnt that the "coventry" season? Tony Adams bloody well scored that day if i remember rightly...

#15 teppic

teppic

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2008 - 14:20

a win tonight will just about squeeze us into 5th. coyb!!!

#16 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 19 Apr 2008 - 09:32

we need to get 5th this season, because i think this is the last time were gunna get it for at least 3 years with the current regime. im not bashing BK or KW here, just after talking with friends after the match the other nite. next season city will keep improving, villa will have money to spend, as will harry at pompy, keegan will have whatever he wants, and spurs will have half a new squad! i dont think we'll have the money to compete next year.

#17 gwladys

gwladys

Leighton Baines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 Apr 2008 - 12:13

i think this is the last time were gunna get it for at least 3 years with the current regime.

Thats a pretty pesimistic view there mate. I agree that we're not the most affluent of clubs under this regime but they've gotten us this far and who's to say Moyes won't be given the backing to go and make a few more signings to improve out side. With the likes of Gosling, Rodwell and Baxter coming through, if Baines and Vaughan sort out his 'fitness' problems, Peanuts signing on permenantly (for next to nothing!) there's light at the end of the tunnel without signing anyone, which we will.

Newcastle always have money to throw around and remain shite, Spurs were in the same position at the beginning of last season everyone said they're the ones to watch, City will have to greatly improve to keep up the challenge. Admittedly Villa are going in the right direction but i think we are too.
Chin up StevO!

#18 StevO

StevO

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 22 Apr 2008 - 13:37

Im not saying we'll go back wards, i just think the teams around us will all be able to strengthen, a lot more than us. yes, BK has took us this far, with out using his own money, because he hasnt got enough to do what he has already done, and he hasnt got the money to invest further himself. again, im not bashing him just because i see an oppertunity, but he cant afford to keep us competing

#19 gwladys

gwladys

Leighton Baines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 Apr 2008 - 14:48

I see where you're coming from but unfortunately i've been burdened with an ever optimistic outlook which tells me BK will find the funds and will keep up our challenge.

I also hope that we can move a few of the squad around as well which could bring in a bit of money to strengthen. Johnson for one.

#20 StevO

StevO

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 22 Apr 2008 - 22:46

I see where you're coming from but unfortunately i've been burdened with an ever optimistic outlook which tells me BK will find the funds and will keep up our challenge.

I also hope that we can move a few of the squad around as well which could bring in a bit of money to strengthen. Johnson for one.

did your optimism tell you about this fantastic FREE new stadium?
i hope your optimism finds us 50m + just to stay in contention

#21 gwladys

gwladys

Leighton Baines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 Apr 2008 - 15:39

So do i!!!! And if it does i'd imagine we'd be true contenders if we had 50million + to spend on new players.

#22 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 23 Apr 2008 - 16:44

i dont think we'll have the money to compete next year.

Can't be arsed to find the evidence but I'm pretty sure you'll find we were saying exactly the same thing around this time last year.

If he has a reasonable figure, say 20m, to work his usual magic which is getting better every year I think. One big signing, two or three gems unearthed and loan or two. Steady progress, don't think that's overly optimistic.

Also we've got an incredibly sound and solid base to work on. I'm happy...

#23 StevO

StevO

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 24 Apr 2008 - 14:32

im happy too mike. but i think its only a matter of time before we fall short. a lot more money has come into the premier league again this year.
the money moyes has been given over the years has put us further into debt again.
im happy, but worried

#24 comeonblueboys

comeonblueboys

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2008 - 10:16

Does this change things or did we already know this?

It is not all good news for Cardiff. If they lose the FA Cup final and Pompey finish fifth in the Premier League table, the Bluebirds will miss out on a place in Europe.
Instead, the FA will give the Uefa Cup berth to the sixth-placed team in the Premier League.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ity/7350681.stm

#25 scouser_george_efc

scouser_george_efc

Daniel Amokachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2008 - 12:34

we havent played well since the fiorentina game to be honest its been a disgrace i have been pissed off with us lately we seem to defend all game and ''HOPE'' to counter attack about 3 times in a whole game or when we have the ball we look straight up and hit it long it piss's me off to be honest like we go on like we are tryin to catch livershi.te for the champions league spot but we dont even play like we are good enough for the champions league or even fight for the top 4 finish we might of had a few injurys yes but even when the team is all fit mostly we are hittin it long sometimes it makes me feel embarrased to be honest we deffo need to add more quality players next season

#26 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 15:43

Wigan are wonderful!!!

Don't ya just love 'em?

Just a point needed now :) .

Edited by MikeO, 03 May 2008 - 15:49.

#27 c1982

c1982

COYB!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 16:08

1 point tomorrow and we can all enjoy our final day against the barcodes!

Antonio Valencia and Chris Kirkland are currently my favourite players in the the prem!!! - (chris is back to being a kopite tomorrow though!!!)

#28 thebluenose

thebluenose

ALEX:Immortal Justice Lead Guitarist and backing Vocalist

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 16:21

we need 1 point against arse. they're without hleb and van persie whilst flamini is a doubt.

i hope we can get a point off them at least but a win would be better

#29 EFCfanatic

EFCfanatic

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 16:36

We love you Wigan. Take the pressure right of the lads tomorrow.

#30 Fozastuta

Fozastuta

Mikel Arteta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 20:11

Can see Villa slipping up away to West Ham too.

#31 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 21:37

Well folks, it's been rocky for the last month, but one way or another we will definitely be facing European competition again next season. With Portsmouth losing today the worst we can finish now is sixth, which at the very least means we'll have a spot in the Intertoto Cup.

Just one more point to go straight back to UEFA, though...come on boys, the fruit is right at your fingertips!

#32 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:48

Searching the net I can find no mention of this years prize money, was about 45m for fifth last year, anyone know anything?

#33 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:16

I said in a previous post that Villa, after the 2-2 draw at Goodison, would now feel the pressure of actually being favorites to finish 5th and that I didn't think they would handle it!

West Ham gave just got some stick for rolling over at Man Utd, so I can see them going full steam at Villa, who if we don't get any points today at Arsenal will again (with their better goal difference) be favorites for 5th......again can they handle it?

To secure 5th place at Arsenal would be a great achievement for the lads.

Unlucky all you big spending clubs outside the top 4!........you really should try the EVERTON way!

Any points today, and Goodison should be a good place to be next week.

#34 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:26

...if we don't get any points today at Arsenal (Villa) will again (with their better goal difference) be favorites for 5th......

Can't agree with that! They'd need to win while we lose.....not gonna happen.

#35 c1982

c1982

COYB!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:35

We need 1 point from 2 games - simple as! We're resounding favourites!!! Goal difference is only an issue if we lose both and villa beat west ham - in that case we'd finish 6th - in that case there are 3 'if's'!

Simple fact is - 1 point from a possible 6 ties up 5th for the blues!!!

#36 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:51

My main point about them perhaps being favorites again is, if as many Evertonians seems think that we wont get anything from Arsenal, then nerves will surely kick in come next weekend against Newcastle.Over the last few games Villa have been the form team....we haven't.

One goal from Newcastle, and a goal from Villa and it's going to be a very sad end to the season.

Wigan did us a great service, but don't write Villa off yet!

A win or a draw today!.........then write them off!

#37 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,505 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:26

Can't be arsed to find the evidence but I'm pretty sure you'll find we were saying exactly the same thing around this time last year.

If he has a reasonable figure, say 20m, to work his usual magic which is getting better every year I think. One big signing, two or three gems unearthed and loan or two. Steady progress, don't think that's overly optimistic.

Also we've got an incredibly sound and solid base to work on. I'm happy...

Yeah Mike I've seen it somewhere but just cant remember where, The premier League football money starting a 3 year contract this season goes something like this.
Every team in the prem starts off with 30m each from the pot, you then recieve a million for every place you move up the league 1st will receive an extra 20m, 10th place will recieve 10m and so on, then you get between 300 thousand and 500 thousand each time your on TV, the difference in TV money depends on when your game is shown.... IE Sunday midday, Sunday afternon or Monday and midweek, WORKS OUT AT ABOUT 1.25 MILLION FOR EVERY 3 TV APPEARANCES.

If EFC finish 5th they will get 45million, add to that 20 appearances on TV ( League, Cup, and EUFA) should be another 7 million, add to that another 25million from home game takings, again from League, Cup, and Eufa, and the total should be somewhere near the 80 million mark. The three relegated Teams will get 31, 32, and 33million plus any Tv appearances and also parachute payments for the next two seasons of 20 million pounds each. Crazy money.
Should be able to buy a player or two this summer dont you think. :D :D

#38 SheedysRightFoot

SheedysRightFoot

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 14:48

See! If Villa had beaten Wigan, Everton would now be in big trouble. Still need a point against Newcastle.

#39 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 15:04

Everton HUGE favorites <_< ............?

Play for a point against Newcastle, and we could be caught out.Villa will just throw everything at West Ham, which it seems at the moment they are their best when they do that.

Couple of nice early West Ham goals will ease the nerves, but come on that's not the Everton way.

#40 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,505 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 21:53

I've been spot on with this from a month ago, hopefully we will get the point needed against the Newcs, and if we do manage to get 5th place it will be because other teams have also dropped points, non more so than PORTSMOUTH.
I bet Tony Adams is sorry he made that statement about 66 points.

Licker
post Apr 6 2008, 6:05 PM

Remaining fixtures...

Birmingham. ... Away. fighting for their lives Can expect a harder game than Derby County..... a draw at best.

Chelsea. ......... Home. Man utd dropped points and now Chelsea are going for Title..................a defeat.

Aston Villa. ...... Home. better equiped and faster on the attack than us, maybe get................. a draw at best.

Arsenal. .......... Away. too good for us and even faster on the attack than Villa........................ a defeat.

Newcastle. .......Home. Finishing the season on a high, Viduka, Owen, Martins too much for us... another draw.

we finish season with 63 points, dont think it will be good enough for 5th, Tony Adams reckons pompey can get 66 points.

--------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users