IGNORED

Toffees Apply For Intertoto Cup This Summer

jared

According to Everton's official site, DM has applied for Intertoto Cup 2006/07 for the lads to play during the summer(if they finish the season as the highest ranked club outside the UEFA places), serving an alternative route to EUFA Cup 2nd qualifier round if they win the third round of Intertoto.

Is it a good idea for the lads ? B)

Edited by jared

Didn't think of it that way to be honest.

I think that we should forget it - its only a pressure move from the board room.

2006 summer - isn't that when the world cup is being played!!!

So any players that make the world cup squads (where a midfield finalist is said to run a distance of 58 miles! over the course of the competition!)

will be knackered and in dire need of a break - Especially Cahill.

It means an extra couple of games in closed season - when we should be training to get ready for the prem. Look at Newcastle this season - they entered it and the players have never been fit this season.

Its too much for a nothing competition that puts you in the VERY early stages of the UEFA cup.

Too many games in my opinion - we should forget that idea.

The lads need to play 6 games in total in order to proceed to the UEFA Cup group stage:

3rd Round Intertoto Cup - 2 games

2nd Qualifying Round for UEFA Cup - 2 games

1st Round UEFA Cup - 2 games

So, it may be too hectic for the lads.... injuries and tireness after World Cup also.

Edited by jared

Isn't it 3 rounds of home and away legs, so 6 games. then you get into the second round qualifier, so another two games.

Making it 8 competative games before the season starts?

What happens is that you preseason is all based around the intertoto cup. Our preseason for this term was based on two CL qualifying games - and look at the start we got of to in the league.

I am a believer that you earn a place in Europe from you exploites of the season before - I am not a fan of the intertoto cup, trying to force the fact you are good enough to play in Europe. There is usually a reason why you didn't qualify proper.

Playing in the Intertoto cup risks the start you may have in the forthcoming domestic league - we all know how tight it is between the majority of the teams in the Prem.

Wherever we finish this season - even if we win most of the games between now and mid May - We will all look back at the start of the season and wonder what if -because of all the point we drop in before Xmas. (for example if we had picked up home wins against Wigan, Portsmouth and West Ham, which we have the squad capable of - we would now be sitting joint 4th)

And is the UEFA cup all that - even if you qualify for the group stage - you end up playing a bunch of teams you have never even heard of. It not even that lucrative moneywise.

Applying for the intertoto cup smells of Sounessesc type desperation to be able to offer player second rate European football to incoming player.

I have managed to do without European football for the most of the last 15 years, I won't lose sleep on missing one more season, if it means we are properly prepared for the beginning of the next domestic season.

Intertoto cup offers to many risk in my opinion for the reward it offers.

There is a good reason why MOST teams never put there names in the hat.

Look at Bolton as well. They are in Europe and not doing bad this season

Bolton didn't qualify via Intertoto.

If we qualify via league, then fair enough, play in the UEFA cup proper and enjoy it.

All I am saying is we shouldn't put a huge amount of effort in to trying to get in to a UEFA cup at the beginning of next season, as it could come back to haunt us.

CL is a differant matter becasue of the prestige and finacial reward that comes with it. Its worth the risk at the beginning of the season.

Could be worth it...seems that Villarreal (among two or three others) have progressed to the latter stages of the UEFA cup having come through the Intertoto. That experience of European competition may be what has helped them to get where they are this year and I'd rather look at that as a future prospect for us than the Newcastle scenario.

(Do we know who else has registered, if anyone)

Edited by mikeo

Answering my own question...this is all I could come up with, but no confirmation..

Mark Hughes...

"We've had a close look at our itinerary for next season and we believe that involvement in the Intertoto Cup would not be intrusive," said the Rovers boss.

"The 2006/7 season is scheduled to start a couple of weeks later than normal anyway because of the World Cup so, if necessary, we would have no problem in building the competition into our pre-season preparations."

Im in two minds on this one as agree with parts of both arguements.

I would say yes to this tho, look at the teams likely to play against they are not of high quality in the first stages as we would be seeded? so rest the likes of Cahill etc, but how many of our players will get a decent run in the world cup anyway? Cahill? thats about it.

You need to weigh up what is more benificial to the players semi - competitive football at the start or friendlies against Chester and Southport?

Then if we get through upon last seasons experience we should fair much better and would we be seeded given we had europe last year?

Then their is the player aspect would we be able to attract better players in with European football on offer?

It is all ifs and buts but it is a gamble I would take.

Guest fozzie22
I think that we should forget it - its only a pressure move from the board room.

2006 summer - isn't that when the world cup is being played!!!

So any players that make the world cup squads (where a midfield finalist is said to run a distance of 58 miles! over the course of the competition!)

will be knackered and in dire need of a break - Especially Cahill.

It means an extra couple of games in closed season - when we should be training to get ready for the prem. Look at Newcastle this season - they entered it and the players have never been fit this season.

Its too much for a nothing competition that puts you in the VERY early stages of the UEFA cup.

Too many games in my opinion - we should forget that idea.

Agreed..justa panic measure by BK and the fuckwits in the boardroom.

I can see the big names being lined up to sign for us now <_<

Isn't it 3 rounds of home and away legs, so 6 games. then you get into the second round qualifier, so another two games.

Making it 8 competative games before the season starts?

What happens is that you preseason is all based around the intertoto cup. Our preseason for this term was based on two CL qualifying games - and look at the start we got of to in the league.

I am a believer that you earn a place in Europe from you exploites of the season before - I am not a fan of the intertoto cup, trying to force the fact you are good enough to play in Europe. There is usually a reason why you didn't qualify proper.

Playing in the Intertoto cup risks the start you may have in the forthcoming domestic league - we all know how tight it is between the majority of the teams in the Prem.

Wherever we finish this season - even if we win most of the games between now and mid May - We will all look back at the start of the season and wonder what if -because of all the point we drop in before Xmas. (for example if we had picked up home wins against Wigan, Portsmouth and West Ham, which we have the squad capable of - we would now be sitting joint 4th)

And is the UEFA cup all that - even if you qualify for the group stage - you end up playing a bunch of teams you have never even heard of. It not even that lucrative moneywise.

Applying for the intertoto cup smells of Sounessesc type desperation to be able to offer player second rate European football to incoming player.

I have managed to do without European football for the most of the last 15 years, I won't lose sleep on missing one more season, if it means we are properly prepared for the beginning of the next domestic season.

Intertoto cup offers to many risk in my opinion for the reward it offers.

There is a good reason why MOST teams never put there names in the hat.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=9189

A total back track from me - As I didn't realise it was only two intertoto games that need to be played. For the sake of a couple of games instead of pre-season it is worth the punt just to get some more euro experience.

I thought it was strange for the club to suddenly decide the intertoto cup was worth entering.

If Blackburn are the only other Prem team to put there name forward - I would say some of the other clubs have perhaps missed the point like I did.

Guest fozzie22
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=9189

A total back track from me - As I didn't realise it was only two intertoto games that need to be played. For the sake of a couple of games instead of pre-season it is worth the punt just to get some more euro experience.

I thought it was strange for the club to suddenly decide the intertoto cup was worth entering.

If Blackburn are the only other Prem team to put there name forward - I would say some of the other clubs have perhaps missed the point like I did.

Theres a reason why clubs dont bother with it

Its shit and far too much hassle to bother with,boro,fulham,ipswich the list goes on all have fallen by the wayside in recent times with this silly little competion

this new format makes even more of a mockery of the UEFA cup than it was before.

there is a race in the league to qualify for this competition but dont worry if u dont, we'll put u in a match one on one and who ever wins can go in to the UEFA anyway. even if u lose, we'll try and find a place for u somewhere!

saying that though, if thats the case i say go for it, why not :)

Edited by bluerob78

I am not a huge fan of the UEFA cup - But CL is only for the elite.

the only way to get Euro experience is to play against euro teams - So as only two intertoto games needed to be played - then foolish not to go for it as we have a chance of being just outside the UEFA cup places.

Moyes and our squad as a whole have limited experience so this is a way of getting a little more.

The new format is a total different kettle of fish to the old format - so as I said a compleate U turn on this one for me.

I noticed on sky sports that Middlesbrough have applied - Now there is optomisum for you. :lol:

its us and boro, i think its an incentive to the lads as well, either we can qualify for europe via the inter-toto or we could bring in a massive points haul in the latter half of the season and enter that way, either way its 6 games to get in the uefa cup group stages how faar the club has fallen? to be honest we werent on steady enough ground on entering the CL Qualifiers and we've fallen, taking the slow steadyroad is the way foward.

Villarreal are indeed the Model we should try to base our european exploits on.