IGNORED

Qualifying For Europe

BoroBlue

I might be getting abit ahead of myself here but does can anyone explain european qualification in england? My understanding of it is:

The top 2 teams qualify automatically for the champions league

3rd and 4th place qualify for the champions league qualifiers.

5th place qualifies for uefa cup.

6th place qualifies for the eufa cup if either the carling or fa cup are won by one of the top 5 teams

7th place qualifies for the uefa cup if both the carling and fa cup are won by one of the top 5 teams.

and finally the highest place team that applies for the inter-toto cup.

or in regards to the 6th and 7th spots do runners up to the cups get the place if they are not top 5?

If the cups are one by the team that finishes in the top 4 (Cl) then the place in Europe goes to the team that loses in the final.

So Wigan are in Europe next season even if they lose to the Mancs as UTD will go into the CL.

Same for the FA cup so we want someone like Chelsea v Man U v RS for the place to drop into the league.

thats my understanding anyway.

Also thought that we got 2 places in the Uefa cup for 5 and 6 regardless of depending on who wins cup games

If the cups are one by the team that finishes in the top 4 (Cl) then the place in Europe goes to the team that loses in the final.

So Wigan are in Europe next season even if they lose to the Mancs as UTD will go into the CL.

Same for the FA cup so we want someone like Chelsea v Man U v RS for the place to drop into the league.

thats my understanding anyway.

Also thought that we got 2 places in the Uefa cup for 5 and 6 regardless of depending on who wins cup games

You're right on the FA Cup but not Carling...Wigan will not take Uefa place as runners up..it goes to the league but Fa cup runners-up do take UEFA place..

You're right on the FA Cup but not Carling...Wigan will not take Uefa place as runners up..it goes to the league but Fa cup runners-up do take UEFA place..

That is unless both FA cup finalists are already in Europe (i.e Say a Chelsea vs Man U final). Then another place goes to the league i.e 6th or down to 7th place if Man U win the Carling.

There is also a potential place in the UEFA cup from the fair play table (but that is also down to being picked out of a hat - which Spurs missed last season). But we aren't going to get in that way :D

So in an ideal world, Man U will win the Carling Cup and it will be Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U in the FA Cup final.

Then UEFA place for 5th 6th and 7th.

...which if we keep up our present form is well within our reach!! Failing that...to get into the Intertoto we need Blackburn (who have applied for entry) to finish either in the top seven (or whatever the qualifying places are) or below us. Supposedly Man City and Newcastle were also thinking about entering but the deadline was yesterday and there's no indication, as far as I can see, that they did.

Edited by mikeo