IGNORED

Next Years Aims

What constitutes a successfull season for next year (realistically)?

Of course I'd like to see break the top and win a trophy but for me another top 5 finish and maybe a little bit further in the UEFA would constitute success.

We still need to consolidate our position. Post Fiorentina our performances have been dreadful and to be honest I think we were lucky to finish 5th.

I'm really desperate for us to beat the shite though next year! Finding a way to get a result against a top 4 side would constitute improvement.

So the same again as this year - just make it look a bit easier!

I would be very pleased with another 5th position and maybe go further in the Cup runs , League Cup, FA Cup, and Euro Cup.

Might be another 2 seasons off challenging for the 4th position, lets just consolidate this 5th place cos there will be stronger competitors next season, i expect Villa, Spurs and Newcs to be amongst the chasing pack, so we must 1st of all consolidate .

I'd go a long with that. Finishing 5th next season will constitute progress in my eyes - Spurs are likely to be a lot stronger next season. Pompey, Villa, Blackburn, Man City and even Newcastle will push on next season too. So to finish 5th again would be a major achievement.

Runs in the FA Cup and/or the Carling Cup would be nice and to at least go one round further in the UEFA would be brilliant. The cup runs will be dependent on us getting some squad depth this summer, otherwise just the league and one cup should be concentrated on.

I'd go a long with that. Finishing 5th next season will constitute progress in my eyes - Spurs are likely to be a lot stronger next season. Pompey, Villa, Blackburn, Man City and even Newcastle will push on next season too. So to finish 5th again would be a major achievement.

Out of that group I'm most concerned with Spurs and Villa, because they are the teams that seem to have every element in place: Deep pockets, smart & stable ownership, and coaches who are proven winners (Ramos won five trophies, including two UEFA Cups, at Sevilla, and has already won a Carling Cup at Tottenham; O'Neill won three SPL titles and four trophies at Celtic). Newcastle and City have eccentric owners with more dollars than sense and (assuming City fires Eriksson) major question marks in the head coaching positions. Blackburn has a terrific coach who does wonders on a shoestring budget (their club transfer record is still the Andy Cole signing from way back in 2001), but building a squad out of thrift store bargains can only take you so far. Portsmouth shops for players in the same suburban mall that we do, and I still have questions about Redknapp. He's a slam-dunk hire for a relegation-threatened squad trying to haul themselves up to mid-table, but he's never before been asked to turn a mid-table team into a contender for Europe, which is a whole different ball of wax.

Out of that group I'm most concerned with Spurs and Villa

Bookies would suggest you're right, the "Without the *** four" odds for next season suggest a three horse race...

Spurs 5/2, Villa 7/2 and us 7/2.

After that it's Pompey at 7/1 and 10/1 or more anyone else.

For the season jsut finished, we achieved exactly what I wanted at the outset - a good run in Europe and to qualify for Europe again for the 08/09 season.

The points you are all making are spot on. However, in my mind, if we are to keep the best asset the club has had in many many years - David Moyes - we probably need to win a cup..which of course in turn would also give us European qualification.

Nil Satis - welcome to the site. Just one thing though my friend..if you are going to keep the strapline thing you have, then Toffees is with 2 f's! If it wasn't a word important to us I wouldn't raise it but am sure you'd want to change it.

I like the idea above about Vaughan and Anichebe making a big impact next season.

Would love to see teams hate the trip to Goodison or even dislike a visit from us because of our water tight defence, hard working creative midfield and Yak and co banging them in!

Let's have another season where people say the Everton way, is the way to break into the champions league, without spending stupid money.

5th again would be massive!..............4th is not impossible.

and it would be nice if Joe Royle said "put £10 on us to win the FA cup", again......well it worked last time he said it <_<

someone mentioned getting to the quarter finals of the uefa cup would be a success. personally we were fully capable of winning that trophy this year. let alone next.

afterall we beat the winners and one dreadfull performance against Foirentina ruiened it for us. if we are not challanging for it next season i will be dissapointed.

as for the league. it will be tough. the teams around us ALL seem to have found a stash of gold from somewhere. Spurs will be trying to buy there way to success again (only this time they have a capable manager...a big worry)

villa again have one of the best managers in the league but looks like the scum have poached thier best player and i have doubts weather abolerhor can cut it in the long run)

so in my view...

a good season will be

european qualifaction

a trip to wembly

REAL progress in the uefa cup

a great seaon would be

4th spot

domestic silverware

uefa cup residing in our trophy cabinet

ABOVE ALL ELSE secure Moysey on a long term contract and support him in what direction he wants the club to go!

5th for me too. Best of the rest is definitely an achievement given our shoestring budget. Considering today's Cup Finalists that has to be a target too but I'd prefer a good UEFA run, as has already been said we beat this year's winners.