IGNORED

Baines To Miss Out Again.?

Bill

that's a bit of a leap isn't it Licker?! I saw one sentence about how Jags/Lescott were young to be CB's but that was about it! To be honest, I think Yobo deserves to play at CB so someone is going to have to miss out - I think it would be a far bigger disgrace is Baines played and Yobo was left out personally. I just wish someone could be converted to RB!

Thinking about next season and I know this is the ultimate cliche, but we do have a fair few players who could almost be seen as new signings. Arteta was poor last season due to (hopefully) his injury, Cahill missed most of it, Vaughan ditto, Baines had little time to make an impression, VDM looks like he finally may be getting fit - then there are the youngsters who surely should be approaching the age/physique where they can make an impact:

Rodwell, Jutkiewicz, Kissock, Turner, Baxter, Gosling

Moyes has been snapping up youngsters for a few years now and some of them should surely be ready otherwise they've been a waste of money - Iain Turner must have been on our books for about 4/5 years now. I still think we need 3/4 signings at least, but with the increased substitutes capacity I think we may see the youngsters finally making more of an impact in the coming season.

Carl, The impression i got from that article was that Jags will be playing centre half and i agree with you that Yobo must play, which leaves Lescott on the bench or playing fullback, Baines is the more likely to miss out, dont you agree. ???

Defense to start the season

Neville Yobo Jags Lescott - thats almost definatly going to be the team, moyes is very predictable with his teams well I think so anyway.

I would much rather see Jagielka tryed at rightback so Baines can be given a go at leftback.

Yobo's out at the start of season isn't he? (and hibbert) That'd mean nev jags lescott baines (maybe?)

Defense to start the season

Neville Yobo Jags Lescott - thats almost definatly going to be the team, moyes is very predictable with his teams well I think so anyway.

I would much rather see Jagielka tryed at rightback so Baines can be given a go at leftback.

i disagree that Jags should be tried at right-back......we've only just worked out his best position is centre-half!

Has anyone seen Joey play defensive midfield or think he is capable of stepping into that role? I think he would do a good job and allow a jags/joleon central defensive partnership.

thats a good shout, would solve our problems of a defensive midfielder, I think yobo would be perfectly suited to play there given time, he is quality in the air and with his head, just what we need there.

Carl, The impression i got from that article was that Jags will be playing centre half and i agree with you that Yobo must play, which leaves Lescott on the bench or playing fullback, Baines is the more likely to miss out, dont you agree. ???

yeah you're probably right about that, but I'm worried that as Yobo may miss the start of the season that Moyes will use it as an excuse to keep him out once he does return - assuming the defence is doing ok. Baines has been unlucky and he deserves his chance but I think he'll still have his work cut out this season.

As for Yobo in DM, I can't see it personally. I'm sure he was tried there in a couple of games not longer after he first signed but he didn't look at all comfortable, he is not a particularly gifted passer either. When he first player RB he used to storm forward and I thought he could turn into a really exciting pacey RB, but the last few times he played there he looked a fish out of water. He has the pace/height to play anywhere, but whether he has the vision and passing range is another question.

I don't think that Joey would cut it as defensive mid. If we resort to playing players out of position then we have failed miserably in this window. Surely having difficult choices at the back is a welcome problem? We never seem to have decent competition at the back, and i can't remember when we ever had competition for the left back position. Sure it would be nice to have Baines playing on a more regular basis, but personally i think that its good that we actually have competition for places, if Baines is good enough to play LB week in week out then he will have to show it and take chances that are given to him, im positive that this season he will be given more chances, he is almost fully fit now after having the surgey he need.

IMO competion for places will bring the best out of the squad becasue players are going to have to keep working for there place and keep showing Moyes why they deserve a starting position each week.