IGNORED

No Need For Panic Yet...

c1982

Okay we've not signed anyone but look at the rest of the signings throughout the league - a lot of these are replacements for outgoing players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/7492070.stm

Looking at the probable teams around us - Villa, Pompy, Spurs, Man.City - have their signings made them better than us? Villa stand to lose their captain, Pompy have already lost one of their stars from last season, Spurs have lost their captain and berbatov may follow should man.ure come in for him.

Okay we've lost Cars but I expect a replacement to be found - I'd expect us to improve on him - AJ will be off but he's been hit and miss - can villa, pompy and spurs improve on the players they've lost/ stand to lose?

The only teams who have been dramatically strengthened in my opinion are teams like sunderland, fulham, wigan and the promoted teams - teams that still haven't got the class we have.

I believe Chelsea and The Shite have got stronger - but no-one else stands out.

If Moyes is only trying to get players to push us forward - better than what we have, then we'll be alright, chasing top-4 as usual!

It's all very well saying that these teams are buying players that will be replacements, but if you look at the money that, especially spurs have been spending on them and the quality of them, it is quite clear that we need to make some signings, even if it is just to bulk our squad out. Spurs haven't just been replacing players, but adding quality (Bentley 18m, Dos Santos 8.6m, Gomes 8m, Modric 16.5m). If you then look at teams like City who have spent around 19m on striker Jo, it is clear that these teams are improving and spending fast. Although we might have got 5th last season, it is clear that there will need to be at least a few signings, hopefully some that can make a major impact on the first team line-up, that will allow us to still have the edge over teams that look likely to challenge us.

I presume most people realise that, pound for pound, we are over-achieiving. I don't like saying it, but it is the reality.

We can look at the fact that City have spent £19m on a striker but then there are several points to this - firstly, lets face it City fans have had years of little money to spend and good luck to them, secondly they have a VERY rich owner (but I wouldn't want us to be owned by a man with his track record, principles have to be more important at some stage). As for Spurs, they have a lot of investment potential, always have had, always will have. They have a lot of ties to the City of London financial markets for a start.

None of us are pleased with the lack of results in the transfer market to date this summer, but the players will come. There have been some poor signings (all clubs have them, look at how many duffers Benitez has signed that barely got a game) but think about Tim, Lescott, Pienaar, Jags, Howard and Yak. We have delivered on signings in recent seasons and that is a credit to the club as well as the manager.

I presume most people realise that, pound for pound, we are over-achieiving. I don't like saying it, but it is the reality.

We can look at the fact that City have spent £19m on a striker but then there are several points to this - firstly, lets face it City fans have had years of little money to spend and good luck to them, secondly they have a VERY rich owner (but I wouldn't want us to be owned by a man with his track record, principles have to be more important at some stage). As for Spurs, they have a lot of investment potential, always have had, always will have. They have a lot of ties to the City of London financial markets for a start.

None of us are pleased with the lack of results in the transfer market to date this summer, but the players will come. There have been some poor signings (all clubs have them, look at how many duffers Benitez has signed that barely got a game) but think about Tim, Lescott, Pienaar, Jags, Howard and Yak. We have delivered on signings in recent seasons and that is a credit to the club as well as the manager.

I agree that pound for pound we are the best team in the premier league, however, we have a very small squad and need to make signings. I'm not saying that you need to spend big money to get the return, as you have rightfully pointed out with those players, although I count the Yak as a fairly big signing. However, a player like Moutinho that would cost a lot, is a player who would vastly improve our side.

However I do agree that there is nothing more satisfying than spending a small amount of money on a player and seeing them do well. However, you must admit with the big signings that the teams around us are making, in comparison to the lack that we are making when there are clear holes in our squad (as shown in our form in recent friendlies), it is a bit intimidating and there is a daunting task ahead if we want 5th without making big sigings which would guarentee a return.

Edited by lawrietimson

Agreed, although we do have a good team its all about cracking the top four and getting CL money and prestige. I have no doubts we will finish in the top ten and I believe the relegation fighting years are a thing of the past, but we have got to progress and to do that we need strength in depth. Moyes needs to replace Carsley if he wants to operate his tried and trusted formation.

If we have a fully fit Vaughan, Cahill, and Arteta this season I will be happy, however we need that one maybe two more special players so we can compete when playing a top four team. We have looked good and threatened to blow them away at times but have ran out of steam and went on to lose. I don't think Anichebe is going to bag more than five goals a season so we will need to replace Johnson.

We should buy Manny permanantley casue I reckon Valencia will sell cheaply. I'm not going to worry until 2355 hrs on deadline day B)

Agreed, although we do have a good team its all about cracking the top four and getting CL money and prestige. I have no doubts we will finish in the top ten and I believe the relegation fighting years are a thing of the past, but we have got to progress and to do that we need strength in depth. Moyes needs to replace Carsley if he wants to operate his tried and trusted formation.

If we have a fully fit Vaughan, Cahill, and Arteta this season I will be happy, however we need that one maybe two more special players so we can compete when playing a top four team. We have looked good and threatened to blow them away at times but have ran out of steam and went on to lose. I don't think Anichebe is going to bag more than five goals a season so we will need to replace Johnson.

We should buy Manny permanantley casue I reckon Valencia will sell cheaply. I'm not going to worry until 2355 hrs on deadline day B)

I totally agree with you, but i've heard manny has been impressing staff and players during training and friendlies, so getting him might not be as easy as everyone thought at the start of the transfer window.

Agree with the comments you're both making and its a sensible, considered conversation....exactly what I try and tease out. Too many people just go "feck that, the Board is tripe, sack em" etc.

It must be an incredible hard business simply buying one player these days, with all those involved for their cut in the deal etc.

Defo agree that we do need somequality signings to take us to the next level.

Under the Moyes era, its been evolution not revolution, just as it should be. We just need to somehow find a way to evolve into a top 4 side!

What is on our side is that our first few games should be very winnable with the squad we have at present. This then should give our (cross fingers) new players chance to bed in and see the way the team plays before finallly being able to bed in properly to the side. So there might be a bit more time than we think.

I know your West Broms and your Hulls will be well up for it at the start of the season but still saying that we have the class to deal with that now.

What is on our side is that our first few games should be very winnable with the squad we have at present. This then should give our (cross fingers) new players chance to bed in and see the way the team plays before finallly being able to bed in properly to the side. So there might be a bit more time than we think.

I know your West Broms and your Hulls will be well up for it at the start of the season but still saying that we have the class to deal with that now.

not really, its always better playig the lower teams near the end of the season after the rest of the league have beaten their confidence out of them. they'll be confident at the moment, and they'll look at the current media hype around us doing nothing in the market and the instability at the club and we'll be right up against it.

if now isnt the time to panic, someone needs to tell me when!