IGNORED

Moyes: Is He Worth £3.4 Million Pounds A Season?

The more I've considered Moyes' wage demands the more I believe thats he is not worth that type of money. I am fully aware of what he has done for the club, he stripped out years of neglect, got shut of debris players and over his time in charge has managed to get us into to Europe three times with a highest Prem placing of fourth. What we must ask is could anyone other manager have done this and I believe the answer has to be yes because Moyes has put into operation everything the majority knew was needed.

I have supported Moyes because he has done what I saw was necessary for the advancement of our club and in doing so has given us hope and, with luck, a future. That being said he has not won a thing, we have not gone close in any domestic cup competition, we suffered one of the most embarrassing defeats in our history under his guidance.

Over the last few months our club has been in turmoil, players not being signed, a manager refusing to sign a new contract and the team playing like strangers. We blooded young players due to circumstances, Moyes ignored them when we were beaten bemoaning his luck rather than think of the egos of these young players, that was downright bad management in my book. We now hear what his wage demands have been and I honestly think he has priced himself out of the market and can do one, he clearly believes his own publicity hence his black mailing tactics.

Bill Kenwright should think twice before committing such a huge slice of our meager funds to pay a manager who has not won a thing nor has he looked like winning anything. I wonder what Moyes will want if we do win a trophy, the club renaming after him.

Think back to all the statements Moyes has made over recent months about this contract business, we just have to sit down and sign it, its with the club, it will be signed next week, sounds like the words of a smug bastard who has the club over a barrel I would tell him to do one as others could do what he has done..................won nothing

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful post Jimmy, and a load of bollocks.

Whether another manager could have achieved it or not is immaterial (I supect few could), because if they had their market value would have increased to the same level as Davey's.

I presume you're just playing Devil's advocate to get a bit of debate going.

There's no blackmail, no unreasonable demands, no bad management (a few mistakes maybe) and he'll be the most important signing for years when he puts his cross on the dotted line.

Will it make us the only club where the manager is the highest earner?

I can see where your coming from Jimmy with a few of your points but i do imo think Moyes is worth the money, i dont think any other manager whould have stayed as long a Moyes has given the fact he has had very little funds available for such strong league finishes/europe in terms of money gained and so on. As we know we have'nt got the most financially co-operative board which in its own right would frustrate any manager. I think Moyes is taking a risk to be perfectly honest by commiting his self to the club again, No clue on whether there will be money available come January? No developments in terms of moving to Kirby or any other possibilities concerning the stadium? Other teams around us having far more spending power which will put us at risk of slipping down the pecking order and so on.

All in all Moyes has done an excellent job imo given the resources he has had to play with we have seen a team go from relagation fodder to a top 5/6 team in one of the toughest league's in the world, we have seen players bought for pennies in todays market who have become integral parts of our team plus who's value's would be far greater now to what we paid, We have alot of young talented players looking to make the first team within a season or two. Moyes has one of the best names as a manager in the EPL and he is still relatively young as managers go so i think if it went tits up for him from now on which it very well could his reputation and status as a possible future United candidate will go flying out the window and we'd be looking at a slimmer more stoneyfaced version of Allardyce.

Edited by EFC-Paul

Wonderful post Jimmy, and a load of bollocks.

Whether another manager could have achieved it or not is immaterial (I supect few could), because if they had their market value would have increased to the same level as Davey's.

I presume you're just playing Devil's advocate to get a bit of debate going.

There's no blackmail, no unreasonable demands, no bad management (a few mistakes maybe) and he'll be the most important signing for years when he puts his cross on the dotted line.

Will it make us the only club where the manager is the highest earner?

I agree. Apart from the likes of Wenger, I can't think of many managers who could have done for us what Moyes has done. He's our best manager in decades and Everton's biggest asset, without him I could see Everton going back to the bottom half of the table and fast. He's given Evertonians there pride back and actually made us a team to be feared on the pitch, I don't think you can put a worth on that personally. It's easy saying everyone can see what needed to be done, but in reality it's less easy to do it. Lots of managers talk a good game (Souness is usually excellent as a pundit) but in reality they can't get the right balance, they don't buy the right players or man manage effectively, Moyes has made mistakes but name one manager who hasn't? Looking at the realistic and available managers around who do you think there possibly is who could do a better job than Moyes - I can't see anyone. True his cup record isn't great (although consistently difficult draws haven't helped) but I'd rather we did well in the league and progressed season on season than won a cup personally.

good topic starter that jim.

for one thing, we dont know the ins and outs of the deal. if £65k a week is accurate then we dont know if he demanded that or if thats what the club have offered him. we dont know if the delay is down to smaller details, still things like whether the club will back him in the market, to expand his squad, to spread the scouting network, planning for the future. we just dont know. but to me the manager should be the top earner, im sure scolari is on par with JT and FL, ive never heard any reports on SAF but im sure he's around his top earners. if the yak, cahill, arteta are all pushing close to £50k then it wont be long till we start paying £60k, £70k, to our players. to me now footballer is worth that kind of money, but compared to his peers i think hes worth whats been quoted.

very simple response.

Can we afford to find out if he is worth that money or not?

No one else there at the moment that is free that I would want to take over ahead of Dm and even if there was they would want nearly just as much money.

What Dm has done for Everton has been great and its nice that he is being rewarded.

Are the players worth their massive wages ?............The managers ?........The agents ?

We all know the answer to that, don't we!

Do we blame any of the above for taking the vast amounts on offer ? No!

Moyes is getting what he can!....There aren't very many managers who have finished above him in the last few seasons, and you can be sure they all earn more than him.

The new contract surely is for the next few years, not just for what he has done for us in the last few, which lets be honest, is quite a bit.

As mentioned you can't really have players earning far more than the manager, so really it's the players wages that are the problem.That's another story though isn't it!

Moyes worth the new contract...if we beat Hull today and then luckypool next week (to go above them)....not too many people will be worried about his take home pay.

I believe Ron Atkinson and David Pleat are both eyeing up the position, and they're demands are only likely to be around £5.73 an hour. Excellent value.

Come on now. How many managers have won silverware over the last 5 years? How many managers have finished in the top 4/top 6 over the last 5 years?

We were crap before he came in, and now we're not (although the last few games haven't been great).

I think he definately is worth it as he is a brilliant manager, but I'm not sure what's happening with Everton at the moment. First we say we desprately need a new owner as we are having financial problems, then it looks like we might get a new owner, then it looks like we won't get one, then we pay out large sums of money to keep Moyesy. I hope this new contract is a sign that money will start to be pumped into the club.

Jimmy I think you're the one that as lost the plot.

We have come back from 2-0 against an in form team after Moyes as made the subs to change the match.

Moyes is worth every penny.

Sorry BB you forget that he fucked it up in the first place, and not for the first time this season. What would you all say if Lescott demansded a wage increase based on what he has done this term.....................I rest my case

total nonsense cant you see were he has brought us from think back before he came, there is no comparison. Wenger has not won a trophy for 3 years, fuck him off or give him a pay cut? iknow lets get big sam in or Curbishley the list goes on, they would all come for less money and then you might realise how good Moyes is :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well, from what I've seen so far, I think he's a class A manager. He would have a spot on practically any team with title ambitions (i don't just mean the EPL, ofc) and I'd say yes, he's worth it. And let's not forget, managers are much more exposed than players ever will. No one sees players beeing fired if a season goes bad, but coaches are constantly getting the boot. They get little of the praise when the team wins, and much of the blame when things go bad.

When Alex Ferguson leaves Man Utd, how much do you think they will pay for Moyes. Personally £65K a week is a bargain if you consider what players are recieving. Moyes is widely regarded as one of the top managers in the English game, which for me pretty much means the world. Name 10 better managers in the UK I dare you. I would be surprised if anyone came up with 4 or 5 and numbers 4 and 5 would be debateable on opinion.

Personally, I believe the managers job at Everton is still one of THE special jobs for a Manager, and not just anybody can do it. Like it or lump it, the only clubs to be winning things since the Premiership have been the same old same old apart the odd fluke ( I include our glorious FA Cup by the way. We were not a particulalry good team and performed on the day, but even then it was close). Moyes is the only manager any of the big clubs would pick if they had to pick a brit.

£65k a week, the way we are progressing, a bargain.

total nonsense cant you see were he has brought us from think back before he came, there is no comparison. Wenger has not won a trophy for 3 years, fuck him off or give him a pay cut? iknow lets get big sam in or Curbishley the list goes on, they would all come for less money and then you might realise how good Moyes is :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Read my opener I'm well aware of where he has brought us from but stop and think, EFC is a business based just off Stanley Park who are about to pay a manager who has won nothing substantial more than leaders in British Iindustry, the President of the USA, Prime Minister (no matter what you think of him) and brain surgeons for doing what was logically required in the club he doesn't have shares in. None of these managers are worth the money being demanded and to say no one else could have done what he has done is daft you must remember him being booed off the ground for fucking up and his record so far this season is pathetic. He should earn that money and in my book he hasn't gone close, why not test his loyalty by offering shares in the club as a part of any pay deal. If he did walk out I'm sure Alan Irvine would fill his boots with in hours for a quarter of what he is demanding

Edited by Jimmy the blue

Read my opener I'm well aware of where he has brought us from but stop and think, EFC is a business based just off Stanley Park who are about to pay a manager who has won nothing substantial more than leaders in British Iindustry, the President of the USA, Prime Minister (no matter what you think of him) and brain surgeons for doing what was logically required in the club he doesn't have shares in. None of these managers are worth the money being demanded and to say no one else could have done what he has done is daft you must remember him being booed off the ground for fucking up and his record so far this season is pathetic. He should earn that money and in my book he hasn't gone close, why not test his loyalty by offering shares in the club as a part of any pay deal. If he did walk out I'm sure Alan Irvine would fill his boots with in hours for a quarter of what he is demanding

You reckon Alan Irvine could do the job,maybe,i would not chance it. I remember everyone saying Colin harvey was the brains behind Kendall he got his chance,what did he win? you are living in the past quoting surgeons etc this is market forces dictating the pay structure.LETS TAKE A STAND ON PAY GET RELEGATED BUT IT WOULD BE A MORAL VICTORY! no chance pay him what he deserves COYB

You reckon Alan Irvine could do the job,maybe,i would not chance it. I remember everyone saying Colin harvey was the brains behind Kendall he got his chance,what did he win? you are living in the past quoting surgeons etc this is market forces dictating the pay structure.LETS TAKE A STAND ON PAY GET RELEGATED BUT IT WOULD BE A MORAL VICTORY! no chance pay him what he deserves COYB

Just have a look at what he has done at Preston, my case rests

Jimmy, normally you talk sense but can't help but wonder what you have been taking.

Football is full of money, Moyes has transformed a club with little resources and is bringing Everton back to media of Europeans, which in turn will generate interest/revenue etc. You are jumping on Moyes after a handful of games, were you jumping on Moyes at the end of last season when we were struggling to win games?

Jimmy, normally you talk sense but can't help but wonder what you have been taking.

Football is full of money, Moyes has transformed a club with little resources and is bringing Everton back to media of Europeans, which in turn will generate interest/revenue etc. You are jumping on Moyes after a handful of games, were you jumping on Moyes at the end of last season when we were struggling to win games?

Thanks for the compliment EW.

Lets get it straight, I am not anti Moyes but I feel like the kid in the crowd who shouted that the Emperor has no clothes, he is not worth money we cannot afford. Look back through these forums with people saying where has the money gone, tripling his wages to this extent to me is wasteful in the extreme, he'll jump ship any way for Utd, Celtic or Rangers. He has lied through the back of his teeth over this contract, he hasn't signed because he is wanting more than we have and even if we could just about afford it is it worth it for someone who is likely to jump ship. His antics so far this season are laughable, he has a defence leaking goals like there is no tomorrow but he still wants such a pay increase............lets get real are present on field problems are down to him and no one else. He's dithering Dave until his own contract comes up from renewal.

Just have a look at what he has done at Preston, my case rests

just looked,top of the league, no goals against all wins hang on,beaten at home by the mighty derby county and the mighty wolves. dont even try to compare him yet with Moyes.you seem to be envious of the money Moyes has been offered,if he brings us success he will deserve all the money he can get.even staying in the premiership these days is success get of his case PLEASE!!!

just looked,top of the league, no goals against all wins hang on,beaten at home by the mighty derby county and the mighty wolves. dont even try to compare him yet with Moyes.you seem to be envious of the money Moyes has been offered,if he brings us success he will deserve all the money he can get.even staying in the premiership these days is success get of his case PLEASE!!!

When he took over they were rock bottom and heading for division one, as PNE fans they are playing better football now than when Moyes was there, fact and I know a few NE'rs. Moyes has done a decent job with us but £17 mil is a joke.

When talking of Moyes as you say 'when he brings us success' or have I missed something over the last few years as our trophy cabinet is bare. I'm in no way envious of him, he has the honour to manage the greatest club side in the world but I do want value for money and with this proposed deal the club don't get that value

Steve, if this was a matter of an offer from the board it would have been wrapped up ages ago, the 'holding out' is all down to David Moyes. As for the sums involved I bet its more than the board wanted to pay

Edited by Jimmy the blue

i think its more than money myself. lets not forget, he wasnt given a transfer budget this season, he had to sell to buy. he may be holding out for this kind of thing to not happen again.

But that can't be true Steve as he did have a transfer budget and AJ said at the weekend that he wanted to leave, the club didn't want him to go. Could it have been more like the club wanting to make sure they have enough money to afford all these out goings especially an additional £2 mil pa for Moyes?

But that can't be true Steve as he did have a transfer budget and AJ said at the weekend that he wanted to leave, the club didn't want him to go. Could it have been more like the club wanting to make sure they have enough money to afford all these out goings especially an additional £2 mil pa for Moyes?

AJ also said we needed to sell him to raise money. The official site didn't print the full interview, surprise surprise :rolleyes: