IGNORED

Balague On Arteta

Louis

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=90

Everton must decide if they want to keep Arteta

As we reportedhere the other day, there is a rumour in the Spanish press that Arteta could be the subject of a bid from any number of Spanish clubs. As one of our readers said in the comments section, it is the eternal rumour. However, I am not aware of any interest from a Spanish club at this moment in time and definitively not from a big club, as Marca suggested... yet.

Nevertheless, there is something that worries me and it should be a concern for Everton fans as well. Mikel Arteta is a player that needs to see the ball, needs to play it, to caress it, to receive and to give it again and again. Yet, for some reason - and please tell me why you think this is - Everton have stopped playing that kind of football.

I have had few chats with David Moyes in the past about his vision for the team. He told me that used to learn from the movements of the full backs in La Liga (particularly Barcelona) and their tactical relationship with false wingers like: the best way to utilise Arteta.

The Everton coach loves the game as it should be played – he knows that if it is all long balls and second balls, then there is no control: without control any team can beat you. On the other hand, the defenders of the route one philosophy would say that, equally, you can also beat anyone playing it their way. However, without keeping possession you are entirely dependant on luck: on the bounce of the ball, the height of players, and countless other superficial things left to chance.

For many years David Moyes has been telling me that he wanted his teams to own the ball and that he wanted his sides to dominate possession – even though he felt he couldn’t do it against the big teams and Everton have always been bit more pragmatic in those fixtures. Fair enough.

But now Everton seem to have forgotten the reasons why they brought Arteta to Everton. And if Moyes doesn’t change things around and get the team playing in a way that allows the players and the team enjoy itself, I wonder just how long Everton can he keep Arteta happy. And without Arteta - who has not been the player he was a couple of seasons ago, partly down to injury and partly down to this more direct style of play - Everton will simply not be the same. They will survive, of course, but they will not be the same.

I guess it’s all down to Everton. The club is at a crossroads and David Moyes and his staff needs to decide upon which direction to go: route one, or the less direct, but more scenic route. That will influence whether or not Arteta remains happy - and if Arteta is not happy, then it is inevitable that Spanish clubs will try and poach him. They may not be able to offer him more money, but if they promise him more football…

Another rumour on the same site.

Everton: Arteta heading back to Spain?

With one transfer window having just closed and another due to open in three months time, the press has been a little quiet on the transfer rumour front. However, it won´t be long until the speculation and gossip machine suddenly sparks back in to life in January and everyone can get back to pretending that they can´t stand the rumour circus, yet secretly devouring every bit of idle gossip that is peddled in their direction.

Thankfully, just to keep us going in the meantime, we can always rely on our friends in the Spanish sports press to conjure something up, and those nice people at Marca have done a very good job in knocking up a little bit of speculation, based upon little more than a tired old cliché about the British weather.

According to Marca, Mikel Arteta could very well be in his way to La Liga before long. The reason for this? Well, writes Marca: “It has something to do with the fact that the Everton hero, who wears the number ten on his shirt, and is also very well paid and has many years left on his contract, is the subject of a huge bid from one of the biggest clubs in Spain.” Of course, Marca doesn´t tell us who that club is, that would be adding credibility to the story after all.

Marca also suggests that Arteta is also very unhappy at being played out on the wing and that he “is growing frustrated that Everton have no realistic hope of winning anything - although he will not admit it.”

However, if that hasn´t convinced anyone that there is any truth in the story, then Marca believes that this should just about clinch it – the paper writes: “We must not forget that the weather in Liverpool is utterly depressing and you can go for months without seeing the sun, and Mikel has been there for years. A change would most certainly be welcomed.”

Oh dear, you couldn´t make this stuff up. On second thoughts maybe you could.

Either way, we would probably all be much better off ignoring this stuff, but one of the most interesting things about working on both sides of the Spanish and English media is how a bit of gossip in a Spanish newspaper on one day finds its way in to the English media the next, only to be recycled in the Spanish media the day after that: until everyone´s lost sight of where it started, but it ends up being cited as fact.

So, a rumour about Arteta is on it´s way to a tabloid newspaper near you....

Is this why he's playing rubbish this season, might see him going in January cos i cant see us winning a Euro place this

season.

If Arteta is fed up with playing in a team that plays the long team then he must have been from the beginning. We've always resorted to that under Moyes when things aren't going well. It's one of the things that frustrates me with Moyes - even with better players and the progression he's made, our football is still terrible at times.

What's the best way for Arteta to get a move back to Spain?

Once a player really wants to go, replace him with another who wants his place.

If he wants to stay great, get on with it!

Want to win something?.......inspire those around you, and practice your corner kicks!

Arteta To Move?

Unsubstantiated reports in the Spanish sports-daily reveal that Everton's Spanish midfielder Mikel Arteta is the subject of a bid from one of the strongest teams in his homeland. However, the paper fails to name the club. Marca claims that Arteta has grown tired to life on the blue half of Merseyside and has resigned himself to the fact that Everton will not win a major honour. The paper even declares that the inclement weather in Liverpool could be a reason behind Arteta's desire to move homeward. While Everton have started the season in subdued form, there has been no evidence that the club's playmaker wishes to bail-out of the Goodison Park side. David Moyes would be loathe to lose a player of Arteta's capabilities, a key asset who is seen as one of the most inventive players in the league. With little in the way of evidence, Marca's attempt to generate a story may be nothing more than empty-noises.

Toffee's Scoff at Arteta move talk

Everton manager David Moyes has dismissed any chance of midfielder Mikel Arteta being sold back to a Spanish club this summer.The Blues boss, preparing his side for a revenge mission against Blackburn at Goodison Park, has been angered by suggestions that the young Basque wants to return home. Arteta, reportedly a target of Atletico Madrid, has insisted to his manager that his words to the Spanish media recently have been heavily misrepresented. And with more than two years of his contract to serve, Arteta has been told by Moyes he is going nowhere.

The Scot explained: "There is no chance of Mikel going. He is an integral part of what we are doing here and a valued member of our squad. He will not be sold. Even if someone in Spain wanted to buy him, they could not afford him."

Arteta will be a key part of Everton's bid to claim a UEFA Cup spot, and to erase from the memory their 4-1 home FA Cup defeat at the hands of Blackburn last month. With so much at stake over the coming months, the last thing Moyes wants is growing transfer speculation about his most creative talent. Arteta, who came through Barcelona's youth ranks, had been quoted in the Spanish media that he wants to return to his homeland.

He was reported as saying: "I would like to return to Spain. It is something that will always be there, but I have to find the right moment and the ideal club. If somebody wants me, they will have to talk to Everton. I am very happy here, they have treated me very well."

He said: "It's true that I was on the verge of going, I have friends there like Fernando Torres with whom I have played for Spain's youth teams and we have always got on well. It's a great club that seems to have a project for the future, that is performing better every year and it's normal that they are already thinking about new players."

Arteta will be a key part of Everton's bid to claim a UEFA Cup spot, and to erase from the memory their 4-1 home FA Cup defeat at the hands of Blackburn last month.

....so that's an article from February 2007 then :huh: .

Very useful addition to the debate :rolleyes: .

It's about Arteta! :P

It's about Arteta 21 months ago.

This thread is about an article published yesterday.

It's irrelevant....(though incidentally I have it on good authority that James Beattie is very happy at Everton and has no intention of leaving in last years transfer window :) ).

It's about Arteta 21 months ago.

This thread is about an article published yesterday.

It's irrelevant....(though incidentally I have it on good authority that James Beattie is very happy at Everton and has no intention of leaving in last years transfer window :) ).

and David Moyes signed his contract last week :P

I thought I'd read that before Mike, well spotted. I was thinking however that many fans who got upset then would not be so upset now if he went, strange old world isn't it

Edited by Jimmy the blue