IGNORED

Castillo

If he doesn't feature on saturday I've got to admit I'll be less than happy. At the start of the season we were in dire straits with injuries and lack of transfers, so we had rodwell and baxter playing. Come september 1st we had a right back, a defense mid, an attacking mid, a back-up goalie and a new striker.

After Jacobsen got inujured, Neville as right back seemed the obvious choice, and Castillo playing in front of the defence felt like the most natural move, having someone in Lee Carsley's role who could also come forward on the attack.

Now he's proven he can attack against Standard liege, but he's not been given any 1st team action since. How do people feel about this? To me he looks like a strong, confident and competetive player who could add a real oomph for lack of a better word to our midfield, but Moyes has hardly played him, and it just seems..........moronic. Why waste a good young player on the bench when he could be salvaging our absolutely dire defence, or at least be coming back to defend, unlike fellaini, arteta etc

I doubt he will feature saturday which makes me all the more annoyed that moyes would waste time acquiring someone he doesn't use....

Edited by The Regulator

What games do you watch????? He scored but he was hardly playing in an advanced attacking role....

I agree though.... He looks good on the ball and fairly confident in what he does.... I guess hes not playing just because of the way we play.... id fit him in a 4-5-1 deffo think hes more refined than rodwell and a better defensive player than fellini.

Saying that youve just payed 15m for your star player.. your not exactly going to drop him just yet

Castillio looked ok but he's not the answer to all our dreams though. He still gave the ball away to cheaply and was hardly covering alot of ground through the games he played.

I personally think he's just not trying hard enough at the moment, he failed a trial at Blackburn because he was lazy in training. He was a panic purchase for us. He might put the odd shift in but we need more than that.

He obviously isn't performing in training otherwise he'd be in greater contention for a starting place. Or even a sub appearance.

That being said how do we expect him to settle and play well if we give him 2 games in which to prove himself?

@dangermouse: i agree about not dropping fellaini, which is another reason he may not have featured because fellaini is not well suited to 4-5-1 it seems....he needs space in midifield to operate which means a 4-4-2 is the default ption when playing him....still i think casti could feature when cahill is back if fellaini cant play, a 4-5-1 with osman arteta pienaar and cahill with casti as defense mid would work, again i think he should at least get a run-in to see if he can do anything....

That being said how do we expect him to settle and play well if we give him 2 games in which to prove himself?

@dangermouse: i agree about not dropping fellaini, which is another reason he may not have featured because fellaini is not well suited to 4-5-1 it seems....he needs space in midifield to operate which means a 4-4-2 is the default ption when playing him....still i think casti could feature when cahill is back if fellaini cant play, a 4-5-1 with osman arteta pienaar and cahill with casti as defense mid would work, again i think he should at least get a run-in to see if he can do anything....

Moyesy must have liked him a lot to pay that kind of money for him. If DM put his trust in his transfer then he should do the same on the pitch and build the team around him.

personally i dont think he can pass for the life of him, many of times when he played at the beginning of the season, stoke being one of the main ones.

I mean think he is a decent player but i would rather play our current midfeild over him, including rodwell.

personally i dont think he can pass for the life of him, many of times when he played at the beginning of the season, stoke being one of the main ones.

I mean think he is a decent player but i would rather play our current midfeild over him, including rodwell.

sorry, how many times did he actually play? i remember seeing him on the pitch twice...i may be mistaken.....and one of those times he scored

oh he scored alright, but how many times did he give the ball away with passes which should be easy for a pro footballer? For me he hasnt warrented a start from what ive seen of him. Our midfeild that we play now are by far better IMO.

again he'd just started playing with a new team, if we don't give players a chance to play how do we expect them to settle and show us their best? Fellaini was hardly inspiring when he first started playing, certainly took more than 2 games

again he'd just started playing with a new team, if we don't give players a chance to play how do we expect them to settle and show us their best? fellaini was hardly inspriing when he first started playing, certainly took more than 2 games

I agree with Regulator on the point of chances to prove their worth, I'd say Castillo looked the better of the two players from a quick veiwing in the first games they played and as some have said Fellaini is starting to settle and show signs that he can become a good player for us same could go for Castillo given the chance. I'd say its either down to an injury or he's a lazy twat in training.

again he'd just started playing with a new team, if we don't give players a chance to play how do we expect them to settle and show us their best? Fellaini was hardly inspiring when he first started playing, certainly took more than 2 games

he is a professional footballer, he should be able to pass a ball.

I agree, but fellaini has been playing a lot better than castillo.

again fellaini has played in every game we've had him available for. He has had a chance to mix with the players, get to know the team and style of play, adapt to the EPL and develop. We haven't given castillo the time of day, and the way you talk it's like he doesn't even deserve a game with us, but i'd rather have neville in right back and castillo on the pitch than sticking phil in midfield where he doesn't belong and putting hibbert in right back. There are some players who have proved they deserve a sport in the first tesam, there are some who are playing well but don't get a chance and there are some who have been written off before they get a chance to settle.

I never said Castillo will answer all our prayers, or deserves to be in the first team every game, I was annoyed that after 2 games we've resigned him to an emergency spot, only if every other option is exhausted do we look to him, it can hardly be a confidence booster for a new player, and unless your a player liek robinho who can come in and make an impact from the off you need time to get used to your surroundings. He's in a new country, in a new league, with a new team, and has played just 2 games. I think writing him off as a bad player is ridiculous, and saying he can't pass based on 2 games is unfounded, given that any player can have a bad game, and given the circumstances, he was probably still trying to get used to everything. This can happen if you get a plyer on the last day of transfers, and don't give them time to even get to know the team their now playing in.

I think he deserves a chance, maybe against bolton, to show what he's made of. If after that he shows the kind of qualities you snub him by then fair enough, but to me if we've signed him and we're losing games, why not?

I still think it could be something to do with his contract. He's owned by two clubs (and his agent) and Premier League may have stepped in to prevent him playing.

It could be. Maybe its a wierd deal like how Pompey got Manny on loan where if they played him a certain amount of games they had to then buy him. Maybe we are saving him for emergencies. Ooooo the speculation

got this from the mother of all integrity, wikipedia:

Castillo started his career with Quito's Club Deportivo ESPOLI spending 3 years with the team, scoring a decent 11 goals in 66 appearances. He then moved across the capital to one of Ecuador's most successful sides Club Deportivo El Nacional, with whom he won successive league titles in 2005 and 2006. He again scored 11 goals in 112 matches for the club.[1]

In August 2006 he moved abroad, signing a two year deal with Serbian side Red Star Belgrade.[3] He scored 8 goals during his first season at his new club and was a key player when the team won the double in 2007.[citation needed] In total he scored 18 goals in 72 games, an average of a goal every four games.

In August 2008 Castillo joined English Premier League club Everton on a year-long loan deal to become Everton's second signing of the summer transfer window.[4] In an interview, he stated his desire to win the UEFA Cup for his new club.[5] He made his league début on 14 September 2008 against Stoke City. He scored his first goal for the Toffees on his home début against Standard Liege on September 18, 2008 at Goodison Park.[6]

now obviously he's not going to win us the uefa cup, but, he played in the first team for a club that won teh league title twice, and then moved to a club where they won the double. Worthy of a chance in my book.

I'm with Regulator on this, Castillo deserves a chance to play especially, the way we have been playing.

To me it does'nt make sense that DM keeps saying we dont want to push Vaughan (21 yrs old) cos he is only young and we want to protect him, and yet he keeps pushing Rodwell (17 yrs old) when there is absolutely no need for him to play.

If your reading this DM .............. You signed Castillo and if you can read the WIKI report on him he cant be a bad player, ffs give the lad a chance and let Osman go and get his knee sorted, Castillo could be the answer for us.

forgot to add this as well, on wiki if you look at both Red Star Belgrade and Club Deportivo El Nacional, under famous or important players for the clubs, Castillo is noted on both, and both these teams won the league while he was playing for them. Moyes obviously made a good move in egtting him, so its time to give him a chance.

I'm with Regulator on this, Castillo deserves a chance to play especially, the way we have been playing.

To me it does'nt make sense that DM keeps saying we dont want to push Vaughan (21 yrs old) cos he is only young and we want to protect him, and yet he keeps pushing Rodwell (17 yrs old) when there is absolutely no need for him to play.

If your reading this DM .............. You signed Castillo and if you can read the WIKI report on him he cant be a bad player, ffs give the lad a chance and let Osman go and get his knee sorted, Castillo could be the answer for us.

i think that has more to do with the fact that vaughn is very injury prone and he doesnt want to permanently ruin him. smith nearly did that with micheal ball if i recall

Yeh Smith kept giving Ball pain-killing injections so he could play as he was the best player. When he was at Rangers they were struggling financially and opted not to play him because they would have to pay some of the transfer off so his career stagnated really.

Rangers' response to his breakdown was to send him to knee surgeon Dr Richard Steadman in Colorado, who had operated on Ronaldo, Alan Shearer and Jamie Redknapp, as well as countless American footballers and skiers. It was then that Ball realised Everton had played fast and loose with his fitness. "He said I should never have had the injections in the tendon but they hid the pain and I thought it was okay.

"At the time it seemed the best way. Walter thought it was the best way and the doctors and surgeons thought it was the best way, but when I think back now I shouldn't have got the injections. Your physios and manager say to you that it is the best way forward ... but it was the best way forward for the next six weeks, not for the rest of my career.

"When I spoke to Steadman he said the injections were a factor. It was my own fault for agreeing but I didn't know much about it. The manager said to Everton's physio 'what's the best way to get Michael back'. Obviously the physio thinks of what will do the trick from Everton's point of view. That's what I think now. When I speak to people down there I say, 'do you think Everton had a sale in mind'."

I still think Moyes should have signed him instead of City!

Castillo News

Everton hope Segundo Castillo, Joseph Yobo and Victor Anichebe will be fit for Saturday's Premier League clash against Manchester United.Castillo sustained a hamstring injury playing for Ecuador and missed Saturday's defeat at Arsenal along with Yobo (virus) and Anichebe (hamstring), but club physio Mick Rathbone is hopeful all three will be in contention to face the champions.

"Segundo was injured playing for Ecuador. I actually saw it late at night on television at home," Rathbone told Everton TV.

"He's done some light jogging now and he's going to be - hopefully - close for the weekend. We don't know yet but he's making good progress.

"Joseph Yobo's had quite a nasty virus. He's been off for five days but he trained today (Tuesday) so hopefully he'll be able to train all week and he should be okay.

"And Victor too - he got a very minor hamstring strain in the reserve game against Liverpool (last week) but he's with Castillo now and running pretty comfortably. We'll just see how they all go for the next couple of days."

• 2 weeks later...