IGNORED

Your First Time To Goodison

everybody remembers their first time to Goodison Park, don't they? I still get a tingle down my spine now when i walk in and ive been going to games regularly for 12 years now! my dad's mate is takin his 8 year old for the first time on saturday, and ive told him it will be the best experience of his life. the kid is well lookin 4ward to it lol

its difficult as every Everton fan shud get the chance to see Goodison. u will have to meet up with sum of us lot lol. or just beg ur mum and dad to take u, and go to a neutral game obviously. tell them its what u want most in the world. as football fans, they will prob understand that goin to games at home means a lot to a fan

i haven't been in a fair while now.

However i was packing stuff to move house the other day and ended up flicking through various programmes that i have from mostly Everton games and the occasional other ones that i have been given from family. i came across the one from the first game i went to.

Everton v Leeds 1992.

The year i think Leeds won the league.

as was the case for the first few blues games i've seen it was a pretty dull 0-0 draw.

the atmosphere though was electric and as an 8 year old from a small island that never sees more than 2 or 3 thousand people in the same place at the same time the whole event was amazing.

I can't tell you anything about the game now and with out the programme to hand i can't even remember which players were playing but it definately made me want to go back.

cant remember my very first but the two i remember are a 4-1 thrashing sitting in the main stand and a win against newcastle, upper gwladys, shithouse speed scored for us.

there the first two i remember, but im avnt got a good memory :D

my first game at Goodison 95/96 season we played leeds dave watson got sent off for a tackle on the halfway line. leeds own goal and then Andrei Kanchelskis went on a run and smacked it hit the park end post and rebounded in. i remember that because i was one of them who realise it was going in first and had a chance to see it before all the people blocked the view of a 7 year old kid.

in fact before i got my season ticket this season, my attendence to Goodison was less then frequent tbh.

Strangely my first trip to Goodison was in 1991 and I was in the away seats :( . I used to see occasional games in London that my dad took me to in the late sixties/early seventies..although often the games involved Liverpool or West Ham, who my brothers supported (one of my clearest memories is of the toilets at Loftus Road during some re-development there, but I'll not burden you with that as it's about tea-time :unsure: ). Then I moved to London myself in the eighties and went to as many games as I could. I didn't get to Goodison until the FA Cup fourth round tie against Woking in 1991 when I came up for the week-end with a party of drunken Woking supporting driving instructors :) .

I love the fact that Joshua's first visit last week is already made into a vid and put on DVD so that when his grandchildren ask him about it in fifty years time he can show them...brilliant this modern technology!!

Oh dear me, 1970 -v Arsenal 2-2.

I must now go and have a lie down

:(:(:(:(:(

I,ll come and join you Mac. mine was in the late 50s. My Uncle took me on Boxing day for a Xmas prezzie, I cant remember who against or the score, cos i didnt start going regular till I come out the Army in 1960.

:blink: Jeez think i better take some tablets and also have a lie down. :blink:

Its been one great big rollercoaster since then. :P:P

hahaha

mikeo and toffeelicker I was starting to feel old reading from the top down until I came across you two ;) !!!

because I'm from South Africa, I'd been supporting EFC for 15 years before I got to see them in the flesh, on holiday in 2000 --- 2-3 vs spurs at white hart lane, having been 2-0 up!!!

I moved to london for 2 years in 2004/2005, so my first trip to Goodison was in february '04 -- I somehow found my way there from highgate in london, having left at 7 on the saturday morning and getting back around 1 on sunday morning - think it set me back 120 pound for ticket and travel --- 3-4 against man utd.....at least I couldn't complain about it being boring, but if only we'd held on at 3-3 having been 0-3 down after 1/2 an hour!!!

I managed to see about 30 games while I was there, alas I now have to make do with watching the games on the box (at least we get great coverage here!)

hahaha

mikeo and toffeelicker I was starting to feel old reading from the top down until I came across you two  ;) !!!

3-4 against man utd.....at least I couldn't complain about it being boring, but if only we'd held on at 3-3 having been 0-3 down after 1/2 an hour!!!

...steady :P

God I remember that game..what a sickener!

I honestly cannt remember my first game, it would have been around 1985 or 6

I remember whatiching the fist merseyside cup final in my next door neighbours house and there was only me and the dad of the next door neighbour who were evertonians, most of the nieghbour were in the house and reds

I remember vividly the last game of the season against Luton in 88, anyone else remember why?

I remember tony cottees début as the british record signing

I remember it didnt cost a fortune to go and watch a working mans (and womans) game. £3.40 in the late eightees. £1.50 with a junior supporters card

To put that in context. A pint of larger in most pubs (out of town) was about £1

So at the same reat of infation a pint today should cost about £10. Not £2

My first game we were playing swindon and beat them 6 -1 paul rideout scored a couple think it was 93, but cant remember. I lived in London at the time and got the train from EUSTON I remember Bill Kenwright was on the train (although at the time I didnt have a clue who he was) he was walking through the train chatting to all us Everton fans - he even bought a couple of drinks !! B)

ZED said....... I remember vividly the last game of the season against Luton in 88, anyone else remember why.

Remember beating them the year before 3-1 and being presented with the league champions trophy.

WE HAD WON IT THE WEEK BEFORE AT NORWICH. (1987).

Edited by toffeelicker

We played Luton at Goodison on Boxing Day '87 that season Zed (2-0..Inchyx2) and the last game of the season was against the Arse :mellow: ..give us a clue.

ZED said.......  I remember vividly the last game of the season against Luton in 88, anyone else remember why.

Remember beating them the year before 3-1 and being presented with the league champions  trophy.

WE HAD WON IT THE WEEK BEFORE AT NORWICH.  (1987).

Errr, soory :huh: , it was in fact 87 what I was thinking of. Should I be called goldfishmemoryII. When I said vividly I meant vaugly

Rounding off my trip to Goodison last week (promise not to mention it anymore..well not for a while anyway) I sent a photo of Leon Osmans goal celebration (bigger version of my sig) to him last week and asked him to sign it for Josh. Got it back this morning "To Joshua...." That and TC signing the prog. Great souvenirs for him!! :D

Edited by mikeo

was years ago, think it was 3-3 against Man U.

was only a kid, and didn't really know what was going on.

was with my dad, and a friend of his.

wasn't brought up proper football fanatic style, but his mate went all the time.

first proper game when I knew what was happening was a bit of a disappointment.

Boxing day 1999, lost 2-1 to Coventry !!

...and I may be remembering this wrong, but a bit of a trivia question from then:

who scored the last goal of last century, and the first of this one for Everton???