IGNORED

Lucas Neill

kurt321

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a squad player, I think he will be a good signing. Who else is available at the moment on a FREE TRANSFER that can bolster our defence? He's and EPL player, he's a national team captain. The transfer window is over and we've got a small squad as it is.

Yep totally agree. Proven prem level player, on a free. Some people here want us to get squad players in... and when we do for nothing, they are not good enough.. I think he wil be a good addition. nothing barnstorming, but good.

Get him signed I say. I dunno where all this 'we've got too many options at the back' is coming from - we're SERIOUSLY short of numbers. What would happen if Yobo or Distin got injured in the next few weeks? With Lescott, Valente and Jacobsen gone, we're actually less than we were at the back last season - Hibbert, Heitinga, Neville, Distin, Yobo, Jags, Baines. Gosling is a RM, not a RB. That's not even two men per position. And I know people keep banging on about Coleman and Duffy, but they've obviously not done enough for the reserves to look like first team players so far this season, so let's not clutch at straws.

So yeah, free agent with tons of Prem experience, gritty attitude and captain of his national side - plus a personal recommendation from Tiny Tim - no brainer really. And whoever said sign up Michael Ball for nowt, that's not a bad idea either coz the way i see it we have one natural left back in the squad at the moment

What is far more worrying is Moyes plan to play Heitinga in the middle...

Stated by an un-named Guardian journalist as expectation. How you can make that become "Moyes plan" is beyond me.

...new signing John Heitinga is expected to be required in central midfield to replace Neville.

Kipper is a vile, and extremely unreliable site of horse manure. I wouldn't even ask them for the time of day, as those illiterates haven't a clue.

That quote could have been written about yourself

Despite all the obvious money grabbing quotes, I'm sure he'll do well for us

Im not a huge fan of Neill's but lets face it we need more bodies and if reports are true a one year deal with a view to extend sounds like good buisness to me.

Not sure if Moyes plans to play Heitinga in the holding/defensive role but he has played there before and hopefully when Jags is back i hope he gets back into his stride and puts Yobo back on the bench.

If he does sign any idea's on our backline?

Heitinga----Distin----Neill----Baines

Neill----Distin----Heitinga----Baines

Neill----Distin----Yobo----Baines

-------------Heitinga

Edited by EFC-Paul

Seriously why is anyone complaining bout the possible signing of lucas. Hes going to be one of the best defenders in your team if he signs. Although he is a CENTRAL defender first and foremost. He is better then jags. Use should play a back line of

Heitinga jags neil baines

with distin (left back/centre back) Yobo (centre back/right back) and Hibbert (right back) as your back ups.

Seriously why is anyone complaining bout the possible signing of lucas. Hes going to be one of the best defenders in your team if he signs. Although he is a CENTRAL defender first and foremost. He is better then jags. Use should play a back line of

with distin (left back/centre back) Yobo (centre back/right back) and Hibbert (right back) as your back ups.

:axehead:

What a cracker, between that quote "better than Jags" and the thread "let's sell Pienaar" i'm going for a lie down.

nothing on the everton website so unsure about the truth to this...would be a good option for us though. Nevilles injury has forced moyes to use heitinga as defensive midfielder as its not ideal to just have rodwell in that position - hopefully he can shake off his 'little boy lost'/'headless chicken' approach and settle there. Neil will then be used at RB as I don't think moyes wants to break up the yobo-distin partnership.....otherwise moysey, I can play right back!!!! ;)

If you're an Aussie, I'm deeply embarrased to be associated with you. There is NO WAY at all that Neill is better than Jags. No way. I don't even know why I'm arguing it!

fail.

Im all for signing him based on numbers, i dont like him but he will do, and he is better than hibbert.

Stated by an un-named Guardian journalist as expectation. How you can make that become "Moyes plan" is beyond me.

Fact is where did Moyes play him last Sunday? When Hibbert could have been shipped off and Heitinga and Billy brought on, dear Moyes elected to play Heitinga at center mid and Billy still benched, which makes the article more believable than your assumption lad. Oh I forgot, Moyes love of playing players out of their natural position also gives it credence.

Edited by CaptainFerguson10

Fact is where did Moyes play him last Sunday? When Hibbert could have been shipped off and Heitinga and Billy brought on, dear Moyes elected to play Heitinga at center mid and Billy still benched, which makes the article more believable than your assumption lad. Oh I forgot, Moyes love of playing players out of their natural position also gives it credence.

GTFO with your nonsense, Moyes doesn't play players out of position because he loves to, he does it out of necessity. Moyes favours knowing what he's going to get over an unknown quantity, because you can't plan for an unknown quantity.

Grow up and stop with the Moyes bashing.

Lad :mellow: ?

From Daily MAil today

Everton will sign Australia defender Lucas Neill on a free transfer today and pay him half the wages he got at West Ham.

The 31-year-old is a free agent after failing to agree an extension of his £80,000-a-week Upton Park deal in the summer.

He has seen proposed moves to Sunderland and Athletico Madrid collapse because of personal terms.

Neill caused a storm in 2007 when he rejected Liverpool to sign for West Ham, insisting it was for footballing reasons and not the huge wages offered to him.

Everton hope his close friendship with fellow Aussie and former Millwall team-mate Tim Cahill will help seal the deal and expect to snap him up in time to face former club Blackburn on Sunday.

Neill is the second-youngest player at 18 years and seven months to play for Australia - behind Harry Kewell - and has represented the Socceroos 50 times. He has captained them three times.

Toffees' boss David Moyes, is desperate for defensive reinforcements as new £6.3m signing John Heitinga will be required in central midfield following the loss of skipper Phil Neville to a serious knee injury suffered at Fulham last weekend- he will be out for up to three months.

Like a lot of people I'm not a big fan of Lucas Neil.....But come on he did turn down liverpool, so he's almost a Blues legend already!....Seriously though, he has been touted over the last few seasons as a very good player, bit long in the tooth, but a good old'un is way better than an average young'n!

He set's his stall out with the price he believes people should pay for his services, if he delivers, then I for one would be glad to have him around for a few seasons.

As for the Heitinga holding midfield thing!.....Against Fulham, not that impressive hey!

Well in that second half against Fulham, who WAS?...When Jags first came he played a few games in that role, and to a man we thought he was very poor....hell we even questioned his signing in general.My point being, he's turned out to be a great player, ok, mainly in the central defence, but early days most fans would have been happy for us to move him on.Heitinga has played one game, his first in the prem in a team who look anything but assured, on a day when his team mates didn't exactly offer him their services, it could still work out, if he (Heitinga) thinks he can do it, surely he must be given at least a chance, before we condem him to the scrap heap with.......Jagielka.

Someone....I think, has said that he didn't really look very big!.....what unlike old "lanky" Carsley :huh: who it appears did do a too bad a job for us.