IGNORED

Would You Sell Lescott?

carlmc25

I'm in two minds about this one, if we sell him then it possibly sends the wrong message (I certainly wouldn't sell Arteta by the way) but would possibly give Moyes some much needed funds to bolster the squad.

I believe that we have a real chance to break the top 4 this year, Arsenal look totally vulnerable and I don't think Villa are that good, although the longer they keep fluking wins in the last 10 minutes the more they will gain in confidence. Teams such as Villa usually fade badly in the run in, something we have also done over the last few seasons but with our lack of cup football this season I would hope that they would finish the season as strong as anyone.

Lescott has really come back into form, he is a very good player but for my money Yobo and Jags are better CB's and I think Baines can do a good job at LB, particularly now we have the extra height of Fellaini in the team for defending set-pieces. We also have Rodwell who looks like he is going to become a superb CB and the likes of Neville who can play LB. If we received an offer in the region of £15m I wouldn't blame Moyes for being tempted. We are relatively strong in defence, in both numbers and quality, whilst we have basically one unproven fit striker, still a lack of cover in midfield, particularly in quality on the wings. If we sold Lescott Moyes could bring in a quality striker and possibly a winger/CM to boost our attacking options and really push for that top 4 spot.

If we do have no real money to spend then I think it will be very interesting if Moyes receives a decent offer for Lescott. I don't want to sell him but part of me thinks it may be the right move if we get the right offer.

I wouldn't sell him. It would be an easy way to raise funds but as soon as we get an injury we are fucked. We could possibly cope without him if we had a fully fit squad, but as soon as injury hits (and Yobo has been unlucky this year, and Baines is known to pick up knocks) we are in trouble.

We all know that J.Lo had an awful start to the season but he is really starting to come back to the player we saw last year. I think we would really miss him if he went, after all he has been an ever present in the squad in the league since he arrived.

At this moment in time I would 100% not sell. We are climbing the table and not conceding goals. Why mess with something that's working?

Not a bad argument and if the price was right I'd understand if Davey went for it.

But if Bridge is worth £12m I'd want closer to £20m than £15m.

Personally though I'd be happier selling no-one, DM's loan dealings are second to none and if he can pull a couple out of the hat again I'd prefer to go that way.

Not a bad argument and if the price was right I'd understand if Davey went for it.

But if Bridge is worth £12m I'd want closer to £20m than £15m.

Personally though I'd be happier selling no-one, DM's loan dealings are second to none and if he can pull a couple out of the hat again I'd prefer to go that way.

Good shout.

It is shit that we don't have the funds to spend, but I don't want to turn ourselves into a "selling club" just to raise funds. We won't move forwards that way as you may strengthen in one area but ultimatly you are weaking yourself in another.

I wouldn't sell him. It would be an easy way to raise funds but as soon as we get an injury we are fucked. We could possibly cope without him if we had a fully fit squad, but as soon as injury hits (and Yobo has been unlucky this year, and Baines is known to pick up knocks) we are in trouble.

We all know that J.Lo had an awful start to the season but he is really starting to come back to the player we saw last year. I think we would really miss him if he went, after all he has been an ever present in the squad in the league since he arrived.

At this moment in time I would 100% not sell. We are climbing the table and not conceding goals. Why mess with something that's working?

I understand your argument but Yobo's injury record is pretty decent and he is only out short term, whilst Hibbert has returned to fitness, Jacobsen is nearly back and basically our defence is virtually full strength, with Rodwell waiting in the wings. Rather than asking what would happen if Lescott got injured, I think the more pertinent question would be what would happen if Cahill or Arteta got injured? then we really would be up the creek and Cahill's injury record isn't good.

Moyes needs to pull some loan signings out of the bag.

As for Mikeo's comment, £15m would have to be the least considered, somewhere nearer the £20m may be more realistic in today's climate I suppose.

Good shout.

It is shit that we don't have the funds to spend, but I don't want to turn ourselves into a "selling club" just to raise funds. We won't move forwards that way as you may strengthen in one area but ultimatly you are weaking yourself in another.

that's the fear, being labelled a selling club. In my opinion, selling Lescott would not really weaken our team (weaken our squad yes, team no). As stated before, I think Baines can do the job at LB and Yobo and Jags are the better CB's.

Edited by carlmc25

I'd be in two minds about it tbh. We could sell him but in reality we'd only have 2 CB's in the first team then. I know you say we have Rodwell but he's been playing DM so we couldn't expect him to just slot straight back in as CB, not to mention him just being a young lad as well. Then you have to look at our record of us re-investing transfer fees, the money tends to just disappear at Everton and we don't replace players.

I think I'd rather keep Lescott (and Arteta) and see if loans can get us through, even though that's a massive gamble.

I'd be in two minds about it tbh. We could sell him but in reality we'd only have 2 CB's in the first team then. I know you say we have Rodwell but he's been playing DM so we couldn't expect him to just slot straight back in as CB, not to mention him just being a young lad as well. Then you have to look at our record of us re-investing transfer fees, the money tends to just disappear at Everton and we don't replace players.

I think I'd rather keep Lescott (and Arteta) and see if loans can get us through, even though that's a massive gamble.

actually I was forgetting that we'd only have Rodwell as cover in the centre of defence, bit of an oversight there! maybe we could get defensive cover on loan whilst Rodwell gains experience. We would have to reinvest the money otherwise it would be a joke, I'm still hoping we do have money to spend and that we're just semi pretending that we have little to keep transfer fees down. :)

actually I was forgetting that we'd only have Rodwell as cover in the centre of defence, bit of an oversight there! maybe we could get defensive cover on loan whilst Rodwell gains experience. We would have to reinvest the money otherwise it would be a joke, I'm still hoping we do have money to spend and that we're just semi pretending that we have little to keep transfer fees down. :)

That's the hope we all have, but it seems like we genuinely are skint :(

Thats what I was trying to highlight earlier. I see your point that you made earlier that selling J.Lo would not damage the team too much but could damage the squad, the problem I see is that the damage to the squad would be too great. 1 injury in defence could really screw us over. We have a good balance at the moment and it would be a great shame to see it shifted.

I think that Baines is finally showing what he can do at left back, but he has had bad problems with both his hamstring and his knee. Jags is easily our best defender and Yobo is also top draw. BUT one of those go and i feel without J.Lo we simply can not cover those positions adequetly. I feel that it will be awhile before Rodwell's reading of the game is up to scrath to play CB at a regualr level in top flight football and as for Valente at left back. Well... enough said.

Unless we got good cover for Lescott I wouldn't want to see him leave. Manciene from Chelsea possibly?

At the end of the day the price of losing J.Lo at this time of year is too great. The inflated price we got for him would only be then spent on an inflated price on a striker, which when we have the likes of Yak, Saha and Vaughn back we would then have an overabundance of. I would much prefer to see a loan signing come in to cover up front and keep J.lo. At least until the summer when we can wiegh up the situation. We would have more time to replace him and would get better value for money for any player we choose to invest in.

I think we are already a selling club, Beattie, Mcfaddy, and Johnson to name 3 for starters, have brought us £20m into our purse. Dont forget Rooney also brought us another £20m+.

If the right offers come in the club will sell anybody, have you forgotten we have serious money problems .

If we had to sell anyone it'd have to be Cahill for me!

Great player and fantastic servant to the club, but he's getting on in years now and we could bring a tidy sum into the club from selling him. Think that money could be better used getting us a defensive central midfielder and an out and out winger with some pace.

Cahill and Fellaini are too similar for me to both play in the midfield and if we don't cash in now on cahill his value will decrease rapidly over the next few years. Biggest worry would be that he is really good mates with Arteta and wouldn't want to lose him.

I think we are already a selling club, Beattie, Mcfaddy, and Johnson to name 3 for starters, have brought us £20m into our purse. Dont forget Rooney also brought us another £20m+.

If the right offers come in the club will sell anybody, have you forgotten we have serious money problems .

I wouldn't say we where a selling club just yet. Keeping hold of the likes of Cahill and Arteta proves that. We could easily have cashed in on those to ahwile ago. The three you mention I don't feel are due to us purely wanting to raise funds. Beattie was crap, McFadden wanted first team football, the same can probably be said of AJ. Rooney is the only player that could be put into that catergory, and in all fairness we would never have been able to keep hold of him much longer as the talent of the player was above that of the club in that current time.

Jamie, i see what your saying but those players mentioned where the easiest assets to sell, think of the furore there would have been if we sold Arteta and Cahill, you can also add Kilbane and Bent to the players who got shifted without causing too much fuss.

But we will soon get around to selling some more, the squad will change so much in the next 2 seasons.

I think the club are pinning their hopes on Rodwell, Vaughan, Gosling, Baxter, Kissock, and others to "come of age" in time to replace the one or two that will be sold each season.

Every club is a selling club even United and Chelsea.

The thing to consider though is that all clubs (bar City) are skint right now or don't need a CB (Man U, Chels). I can't see Joleon leaving England and City have just signed an overpriced left back. They obviously still need a center back or two but spending the money that Sparky knows Davey will ask for Lescott... Can't see it. At that rate he'd have himself a 45 million pound back line. No sense in that when other clubs (WH, Portsmouth) are in even more trouble and will be offloading players. Then there are players like Onyewu (sp?) at Liege who have played in the EPL and improved since then.

So apart from City who would come in for Lescott? Can't see it happening. However, if a 20 million offer came in I have to think the club would take it, that's stupid money for a defender no matter the class.

Jamie, i see what your saying but those players mentioned where the easiest assets to sell, think of the furore there would have been if we sold Arteta and Cahill, you can also add Kilbane and Bent to the players who got shifted without causing too much fuss.

But we will soon get around to selling some more, the squad will change so much in the next 2 seasons.

I think the club are pinning their hopes on Rodwell, Vaughan, Gosling, Baxter, Kissock, and others to "come of age" in time to replace the one or two that will be sold each season.

Difference is United could field a team comprised solely of reserves with maybe one or two first teamers and still kick the shit out of half the teams in the league.

We haven't got the strength in depth to sell Lescott, and he's doing well at the moment. We should sell players based on potential (like Rooner) or when there over the hill (Beattie, Kilbane), not while they're in there prime, because all your doing then is trying to get another in prime player for a cheaper price and of better quality.

Lescott is too valuable to sell, same for arteta, and I think that if Moyes can get a loan deal sorted for a striker we can cope.

Next year Gosling and Rodwell will always be coming off the bench, and starting every fa cup and carling cup game, havent seen kissock or jutkiewiscz get the same chances but im sure they will.

In teh summer i'd like to see us cut the fat and have jacobsen replace hibbert, valente go, and flog anichebe off on some recently promoted championship club.

we're not a selling club by definition, but we are very close, and I don't think Moyes could manage losing players every window and bringing ones in for cheaper, even though he has found some bargains (Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka etc).

Thats a fair ponit. Some clubs rely on selling on more than others though, Pompey for example.

The point I was trying to make was that we don't rely on selling players at the moment to be able to bankroll the club. Yet.

"Lescott is too valuable to sell, same for arteta",

Regulator, You've got it wrong, every player has a price and if somebody came in with an offer of 20 million for each they would be sold. Its a business and any business would sell if it could make £I5 million profit on Joleon, even more on Arteta.

PS ..... Would'nt be a bit surprised if Arteta and Cahill where the first to go, as somebody already pointed out their ages are creeping up to the 30 mark and after that no big fees will be forthcoming, plus they will only be offered a shorter contract, i think its one or two years after 30.

Regulator, You've got it wrong, every player has a price and if somebody came in with an offer of 20 million for each they would be sold. Its a business and any business would sell if it could make £I5 million profit on Joleon, even more on Arteta.

PS ..... Would'nt be a bit surprised if Arteta and Cahill where the first to go, as somebody already pointed out their ages are creeping up to the 30 mark and after that no big fees will be forthcoming, plus they will only be offered a shorter contract, i think its one or two years after 30.

Arteta is only 26, meaning he still has his best years ahead of him, if his age is creeping towards the 30 mark it is creeping very slowly. Cahill on the other hand is 29 i believe.. Dont want either to go though as we dont have the numbers to let anybody go

I don't think that selling AJ, McF and Beattie makes us a selling club. We have kept hold of our best players (except for Rooney) ever since we sold the likes of Ball, Jeffers, Barmby etc. Moyes has kept his core squad and gotten rid of the deadwood and players who were surprlus to requirements. Every club sells players who aren't doing the business, BT was a joke, McFadden did nothing and was an absolutely amazing deal to get £5.5m for him and AJ wasn't really good enough and had fallen behind Yak in the pecking order. Don't get me wrong, I think Moyes would have possibly liked to sell AJ, but he realised he needed the money and AJ wasn't first choice, hence he sold him. I don't think he would have sold Yak, Arteta etc. My only argument is that losing Lescott would not damage our first team, whereas losing Arteta, Cahill etc would at this present time.

Yes i understand that, I meant at this juncture they are both too valuable. If we lost a midfielder who has come into his element and is creating and scoring goals for us, and a defender who has again found his form, can play in 2 positions, is keeping clean sheets and score goals, how would we find better replacements as well as strikers in the next few weeks who would mould into the squad quickly and have a stronger impact than they had?

fact is, we wouldn't. Summertime, fair enough, if they offer good money and we have time to pull players I can't argue it's business, but to be honest, our priority this transfer window is a striker, preferably on loan, any other selling/buying aspirations are pointless as our squad is waifer thin and couldn't handle another departure, especially with 2 derbys and 2 games against the big 4 coming up, we're we need everyone fit and firing.

Sell Lescott!.....If for £12million you could then turn around and buy two excellent replacements, or one really good player then perhaps.Maybe Moyes could buy the next Lescott from the championship for around £5million, that would be good business.Lescotts had only an average season this year, but he has potentialy his best years ahead of him, and a Lescott who could be 25% better than he was last season would be priceless, that's why teams are ready to take a risk with him.

Both he and Arteta (I think) have long contracts, so they will still command a big fee at the end of the season, our season could be flying by the end of January, even a poor Month will see us strongly pushing for a european place......hell! come on sell no one!!

If we got 15 mill we could probably buy Upson and Parker from West Ham for then and that to me is strengthening our squad, i suppose the question is would any major movinh upset our form as we push for hopefully the top 4?

Haven't West Ham rejected an offer of £11million for Upson alone? I wouldn't want Upson here anyway; he's not that good and he's a lot closer to 30 than Joley.

Haven't West Ham rejected an offer of £11million for Upson alone? I wouldn't want Upson here anyway; he's not that good and he's a lot closer to 30 than Joley.

The press said that Villa made an 11m bid for him, but that has been 100% denied by O'Niell. Just paper talk shite.

Would prefer to keep J.Lo rather than get Upson and Parker to be 100% honest.

Parker is Billy Big time, has turned us down in the past and I wouldn't want him here. He preferred to sit on the bench at Chelski than come to us a few years back so stuff him. Granted, if he was likely to get a game at Chelski fair play but realistically that was never on the cards so he can do one.

Upson would command big wages- bigger than our structure would allow and we wouldn't get him for much less than we would sell Lescott for so we'd lose Lescott's versatility for a net profit of approx £2m which wouldn't buy you anyone.

I was critical of Lescott earlier in the season as he spent all summer complaining about how he wanted to play CB, yet had managed to get into the England squad on the back of his LB displays. Add to that he was sh!te at CB early in the season and had this question been asked on November I'd have given a resounding YES! However, he seems to have come through that spell now and is playing a lot better and concentrating on football and not giving interviews telling people how good he is at CB so now I'd like to keep him (until the end of the season at least)

Alternately, if we were offered £12m for Cahill now would you accept? Lot of money for a player approaching 30... but pivotal and would we be able to bring anyone in as replacement???

^^ On the Cahill subject, I would like to see Everton move away from their dependace with Cahill in the 4-5-1 system.......bloody trouble is that at his best he's bloody good at it.If only he was 25 and hadn't suffered foot and knee problems, he'd be worth a fortune, and I'd want him here....dependance or not!!

Keep, Lescott...........Arteta...........Cahill.Let's watch Rodwell, Gosling, Vaughan, Anichebe and Kissock develop, perhaps Moyes can come up with a few more players for low prices like Pienaar, Arteta, Cahill,Lescott,Jagielka....etc!

If this question was asked a couple of months ago the general opinion would have been yes, sell the bastard. But Lescott is coming back to form, the form that won us all over in the first place so it is a big no from me. Plus, for such a big guy he is very mobile at getting forward.

On the other hand, if someone came in with a Rio Ferdinand type transfer figure (~£18m) I would let him go but we know this won't happen.