IGNORED

Back Of The Gwladys Street

paul

Anyone seen this petition? It's about giving an area for fans who like to sing a place for them to go. It looks to be based on those German barriers in front of seats so that you can stand up but still satisfy the all seater rule

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/standupifyoulovetheblues/

Every little bit that we can do to try and inspire the team is surely a good thing!

I don't know how well it'd be received to be honest. Some people would see it as being disrespectful to those who have died in stadium safety tragedies in the past.

Personally I have no problem with it, although wouldn't the horizontal bar be in your way should you wish to sit ? Also due to the height at the back of the lower Gwladys Street wouldn't it be better to have it somewhere else with better sightlines/c-values? I can't see anybody convincing the club to remove seats (and reduce the income/stadium capacity in the process)from the stadium for the sake of a few fans wanting to sing. It's all to do with money nowadays.

I don't know how well it'd be received to be honest. Some people would see it as being disrespectful to those who have died in stadium safety tragedies in the past.

Personally I have no problem with it, although wouldn't the horizontal bar be in your way should you wish to sit ? Also due to the height at the back of the lower Gwladys Street wouldn't it be better to have it somewhere else with better sightlines/c-values? I can't see anybody convincing the club to remove seats (and reduce the income/stadium capacity in the process)from the stadium for the sake of a few fans wanting to sing. It's all to do with money nowadays.

Your part about the views seem to be covered:-

Problem:

1.1 This hardcore of 200-300 fans aren't able to persistantly stand up in front of their seat due to being told to sit down by fans on the last row who cannot see half the pitch due to obstructed views when they stand. Without standing there is rarely singing.

Solution:

2.3 No tickets to be sold on the last row (QQ) of the singing area as you cannot see half the pitch when stood there (see also 3.5)

That would be 30 tickets not sold. Whats our average attendance? Youre just talking about the Derby match but people stand up for that anyway so it'll make no odds for that match.

I think an important bit is whether supporting your club vocally is important or not. Fans are attracted to atmosphere and so would go the match more or even support a team because of it.

It's not a terraced area actually looking at it, its seats with a barrier so its separate to Hilllsbrough. Wasn't the main issue over that due to policing and ticketing that the Justice people are concerned with rather than justice over terracing?

a massive massive can of worms.

it has been done successfully in germany, and im all for seeing it come back as the germans have done it with "safe standing". but im not happy for us to be the first, for the obvious reason of respect for our close neighbours.

Thinking about it though is that not more of a reason why we should do it? It is essentially a safer way to stand upin front of the seat. This was done v Fiorentina, v Chelsea, and for large part sin Derbys and Man U.

These are all more mad matches, whereas this would let it happen for your normal matches as well.

So if its ok for the big games then its ok for the normal games.

So as it does happen for the mad games anyway shouldn't we have it done safely just in case anyone can find a problem with it? I suppose the attitude of Everton, well all clubs to be fair, is that they're hiding behind the fact that you're not meant stand anyway? But Fans do, so therefore they should aim to make it as safe as possible.

The two Merseyside clubs should really be the first to introduce it. How bad does it look on the 2 clubs if we are the last to improve safety?

How bad does it look on the 2 clubs if we are the last to improve safety?

its not improving safety though is it? the reason we get told to sit down isnt for safety, its due to spoiling the view of the fan behind. its not safer by telling everyone else to stand up.

its not improving safety though is it? the reason we get told to sit down isnt for safety, its due to spoiling the view of the fan behind. its not safer by telling everyone else to stand up.

Good point. That's another argument in favour of this standing/singing part. In this area were standing is tolerated its suggested that it would be at the back of the stand so that its not in everyones way.

Whereas now you get people standing up because they want to, but they're in peoples way who want to sit.

It's time for clubs to enter the 21t Century

Hmmm my only problem is thought segmenting the "type" of fans. Calling those fans that sing "hardcore", are they a better class of fan than those that don't sing the whole game?

Apart from that I cannot see this happening at all with the current talk of stadium moves. Re-developing Goodison is unlikely to happen so I see this unlikely to happen also.

Hmmm my only problem is thought segmenting the "type" of fans. Calling those fans that sing "hardcore", are they a better class of fan than those that don't sing the whole game?

Apart from that I cannot see this happening at all with the current talk of stadium moves. Re-developing Goodison is unlikely to happen so I see this unlikely to happen also.

I would have thought that hardcore would mean those who are well into singing rather than those who can take it or leave it. No fan is better than another, some fans want different things from their match day experience.

I remember reading a part of the petition that discusses what they would like to happen if Everton moved stadium.

if you Google singing section you'll find a hell of a lot of clubs have at least given it a try at some point.

i think its basically just a section where stewards arent gunna tell you to sit down. id be quite happy to see the, do this with say the middle few block of GS, im sure many wouldnt complain

if you Google singing section you'll find a hell of a lot of clubs have at least given it a try at some point.

i think its basically just a section where stewards arent gunna tell you to sit down. id be quite happy to see the, do this with say the middle few block of GS, im sure many wouldnt complain

Some fascinating stuff. Celtic, Man U and Liverpool and Chelsea all have one.

The main reasons for Celtic and Man U seem to be the style of the stadium preventing it happening and also like minded fans were spread out rather than together.

Liverpool's though is just a case of them not having scousers in the kop ha ha! Their problem is that the foreigners are going in their to experience the atmosphere rather than create it.and they're taking the place of those who want to create the atmosphere hence reclaim the kop!

Chelsea's just seems to be a case of their singers are spread out and that stewards tell them to sit. So they have an agreed area where they are allowed to stand.