IGNORED

Arteta's Injury

dark

Basically a place to post news about it when we learn more, at the moment this is all we have (from evertonfc.com)

With Steven Pienaar and Leon Osman already consigned to the sidelines, the Scot would have been concerned to see Mikel Arteta stretchered off four minutes in after falling awkwardly.

The Spaniard was immediately sent back to Liverpool for a scan on his knee. Anichebe, meanwhile, hobbled off minutes after the tackle which earned Nolan his marching orders.

Edited by dark

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There not releasing much news yet, its probably going to be a while before we get any public facts. I hope that this isn't the end of Mikel's season, without him, Pienaar and Cahill we had no attacking threat and we just can't do with that from now until May. All that is known is below, from evertonfc.com

'Mikel Arteta headed back to Liverpool before half time during Sunday's game against Newcastle United. The Spaniard sustained a knee injury after appearing to fall awkwardly four minutes into the game, and was subsequently stretchered off the pitch. He will undergo a scan to assess the extent of the injury on Sunday evening. Meanwhile, Victor Anichebe was replaced shortly before half time after a heavy tackle from Kevin Nolan. The Newcastle midfielder appeared to come down hard on the Nigerian's shins, and received a red card for the challenge.'

Look out on evertonfc.com for updated injury news later.

There not releasing much news yet, its probably going to be a while before we get any public facts. I hope that this isn't the end of Mikel's season, without him, Pienaar and Cahill we had no attacking threat and we just can't do with that from now until May. All that is known is below, from evertonfc.com

'Mikel Arteta headed back to Liverpool before half time during Sunday's game against Newcastle United. The Spaniard sustained a knee injury after appearing to fall awkwardly four minutes into the game, and was subsequently stretchered off the pitch. He will undergo a scan to assess the extent of the injury on Sunday evening. Meanwhile, Victor Anichebe was replaced shortly before half time after a heavy tackle from Kevin Nolan. The Newcastle midfielder appeared to come down hard on the Nigerian's shins, and received a red card for the challenge.'

Look out on evertonfc.com for updated injury news later.

SSN said that his knee swelled up almost instantly which just isn't good

i heard from a red earlier, his brother is a blue whos been mates with a member of the everton physio team. he has heard from him tonight that arteta has SNAPPED a crutiate ligament. if this is true he is looking at a year on the sidelines. im worrying big time to hear the news on this,

if we could manage 6th place with out yak or arteta it would be immense.

We'll manage ok.

Think so too. As long as we get Pienaar and Ossie back in we'll have enough creativity to cope with most of the games we've got left. Any hope of catching Arsenal or Villa has diminished but sixth would be no mean achievement after the appalling start we had to the season.

I didn't see the game, so would somebody be able to tell me how exactly the injury happened? Was it in a tackle?

Not a tackle really, fairly innocuous challenge, just landed awkwardly.

Yes and No.

It was just the way Arteta landed his leg, he put all his weight on the inside of his leg where unfortunately his knee took the brunt. He instantly waved at the bench to say he was fooked.

:( That can't be good for us. Considering as well we lost Gosling and Anichebe later on to apparent injuries as well from what I read this really can't be good.

Get Osman, Pienaar, Cahill, and Fellaini back to fitness and we should be able to cope.

And Baines may even get to have a pop at a free kick or two :) .

Incidentally, missed it and they didn't show it on MOTD last night, why did Jags take a free kick from what the beeb said was 25 yards towards the end of the game yesterday :o ? Surely there were better options?

Mikel Arteta has been ruled out of action for the rest of the season.

Scans have confirmed the Spanish playmaker ruptured his cruciate knee ligament in his right leg during Sunday's goalless draw at Newcastle.

And Baines may even get to have a pop at a free kick or two :) .

Incidentally, missed it and they didn't show it on MOTD last night, why did Jags take a free kick from what the beeb said was 25 yards towards the end of the game yesterday :o ? Surely there were better options?

It was one of those free kicks that was straight in front of goal ready to be blasted in. Unfortunately Jags blasted it well wide.

Thats a big blow for us but atleast our run of games are not as tough towards the end of the season. I think as Bill said we will be fine if we can have the others back and injury free but if we lose any of those players we will really struggle to carve out chances.

We really do have shite luck dont we :rolleyes: hope he has a speedy recovery.

Absolutely gutted! poor mickey hes been are player of the season imo up to now are luck with injurys just gets worse an worse. Lets hope felli can get him self match fit an step up a gear an pienaar an osman can stay fit 2 And maybe a bit of magic from shandy if hes ever going to get a chance now is his time!

we can live without him but it is awful just time for the other creative players step up to the plate now eh! i mean baines is fine option for me to take set pieces couple of good corners yesterday we almost scored from! and why not let jags take it hes done everythin else right this year :D kinda like the yakubu injury though wasnt it didnt really seem much there and then hes out for season! we've just been unlucky this year with injuries i guess get them all back next season and we'll win the league :D

"huge loss im devestated he has be playing really well since switching back to the centre of midfield and this is a terrible blow for us

there goes our slim ucl hope and really our 5th spot chacne too

but as u guys no what doesnt kill us makes us stronger and with a team with as much fighting spirit as we still could take 5th spot but even 6th spot would be good from here tbh big loss for us and hopefully mikel can get better soon"

Big loss for us, we dont have players to come in and replace him. Agreed we need to get all our other midfielders fit now and someone needs to spet up to the creative mantal but i just cant see who?, at least (touch wood) are far enough ahead to keep 6th spot. The worrying thing is that you see players who suffer with ligament injuries and it reoccurs over the years so lets hope this doesnt happen to him...

It's terrible news for Mikel but always find the positives,

+ We've got a very winnable set of games coming up including west brom and stoke at home

+ We've got Hibbert, Cahill, Saha, Fellaini, Osman and Pienaar coming back, some sooner than others

+ We still held the ball up well against the magpies, we definately lacked Mikel's creative edge but with the players we have returning and 2 quality strikers we can still win the games...

Mikel was the last player we wanted to lose at a time like this, in fairness I would have preferred to lose Jags or Jo in favour of Arteta but it can't be helped now and we must soldier on, we've got 2 young sources of inspiration in Gosling and Rodwell, both have opened their accounts this season, Cahill and Fellaini and Lescott are all massive aerial threats in the box and Osman and Pienaar aren't afraid of taking a stab at goal...

We still have enough to go on and win matches but maybe not the cup and probably not higher than 6th unfortunately, but looking at it we're 21 points from 1st, and 4 points from 5th it was always going to be a struggle for champs league, if we can secure europe and make the semis of the fa cup I'll be more than pleased with oru performance in what has been one fo our unluckiest years for injuries

+ We've got a very winnable set of games coming up including west brom and stoke at home

+ We've got Hibbert, Cahill, Saha, Fellaini, Osman and Pienaar coming back, some sooner than others

+ We still held the ball up well against the magpies, we definately lacked Mikel's creative edge but with the players we have returning and 2 quality strikers we can still win the games...

^The things that Regulator posted there are some good positives to take from the game. We should be able to beat the teams left without Arteta. He's the best creativity in the team but he's not all we have, there are alternatives.

Osman, Fellaini, Cahill & Pienaar can all cause trouble going foreward for the opposition so goal will come. Saha is an experianced striker (Fulham & United) and should bag some more come May.