IGNORED

Jo- A Few Games In..

ManCity Mike

Hi everyone, as my username suggests I'm a Man City fan and wanted to know what the Evertonian view of your new Striker is?

We never really got to see him at City (a few mins here and there) and when he did play, was not suited to our style of play/formation at all, so for guys in the blue half of manchester we really have very little to go on. We are all very keen to see how he does with you lot, but our inital impressions from his time at city generaly range from indifferent to negative (he has been tagged the 'new Samaras'). I read in the Jo thread a few pages back that after the first game the majority of people rated him higher than Yakubu and would be more than willing to do a swap. So, a few more games in, how do you rate him now?

PS you guys are having a great season and well done.

PPS I'm sick of getting beaten by you lot!!!!

Thanks

M

Mike!

Jo had a decent start for us against Bolton, scored two goals aginst Bolton, a penalty and a pretty lucky turn and shot!

Since then has only been average at best.Obviously needs time to settle to his new team mates and gain match fitness.That said if Saha was totaly fit, or Yakubu....or James Vaughan , then I think Jo would struggle for a game.

Those players aren't fit, so Jo will get his chance, with better service he could do OK...I hope so.

I can see why City let him have a loan move, might do him some good....and your not paying for it.

I think he got off to a good start scoring two goals on his debut, and I think many people got a bit excited about him. Since then though, he hasn't really lived up to that initial promise. I was watching him today, and he didn't really have a good game. Some heavy touches saw him lose the ball a few times and he never looked likely to threaten their defence (he's not the only culprit on that point I'm afraid).

However, I'm still holding out that's he's gonna improve (or that he is actually really good in training, plays crap for us till the end of the season, we buy him for next to nothing, and then his true colours come out next season :wink2: )

His first touch sometimes looks a little awkward, he appears to try to control the ball well away from his body which gives the defender time to nick the ball off him. His passess last week at Newcastle and today against West Brom often seemed underhit, hopefully it is through lack of playing time and that will improve omnce he gets match sharp. He does do a fair amount of running and closing down which maybe the Yak should take note of but on the whole i think Yak is a better forward all round but over time may prove otherwise. The two goals against Bolton should have brought about a fair amount of confidence, lets hope it wasn't a false dawn.

He does under hit passes, he did it on numerous occasions last week at Newcastle and again today. I think he lacks mental awareness, he needs time on the ball and that is a commodity you don't get in the Prem. In todays match you could clearly see how aware Saha was, one chance and he took it beautifully whereas Jo really didn't have a clue. I trust the coaches will be working on these problems with him but I suspect you'll be getting him back in the summer B)

Basically, without harping too much about his Bolton performance, will he or won't he work out for us? ManCityMike sparked a similar conversation in a another thread, I guess I just wanted to be more straight forward with my questioning. I've been interested in this lad ever since City and ourselves had eyes glued in Moscows direction. He's got unique attributes and a great left foot. Personally I feel that Saha's "fit" presence can only help the situation, not intimidate him to the bench...but perhaps create a constructive working environment. I mean he can't do it alone, up until recently I assume he's been working out with trainers and a bevy of youngins like himself. As if there's nothing to aspire to in a way. Like I said earlier...way too much as been said about his debut, but that gave us at least a glimpse of what's possible and if nothing else we all know he's aware of how people think of him and his track record thus far. He knows these forums and blogs exist to be critical of the players.

I guess what I'm getting at is: With obvious talent at his feet plus the desire to not be what many have pegged him to be, does anyone else sense even a bit of improvement and adaptation?

BTW I'm newly registered and this is my first post, so hello to all of you wonderfull Evertonians.

P.S. Like Saha's goal today, Jo has had many dripping with class...I thought he a had a great olympic run in the summer and his goals in Brazils final game were great.

Obviously his first game was very good, but the problem has been service in the next two games. Once the threat of Arteta has been taken away from the midfield he wasn't haveing the balls put into him. The problem is that he didn't try to look for the ball either and spent to long either sat deep or out wide. If he can sort out his positioning then he would be a much better player.

Guest efctaxi

The WHOLE team has struggled in the last 2 matches , and injuries haven't heped .

It's not very fair to single him out as playing badly due to this unfortunate patch . Time will tell for sure , and if we play well as a team , I'm sure Jo will benefit .

When we signed him I was disappointed tbh, I thought he'd be shite. In his first game he was excellent and showed parts of his game I didn't know he even had - like working his arse! I was impressed with him to say the least. The last 2 games he's looked off the pace; his first touch has been woeful and he hasn't really got into games. Not getting into games could be attributed to the fact that he hasn't really had any service though. He's still working hard for the team and that's the least we ask for when a player isn't playing particularly well. I just hope he gets back on the scoresheet sharpish.

When we signed him I was disappointed tbh, I thought he'd be shite. In his first game he was excellent and showed parts of his game I didn't know he even had - like working his arse! I was impressed with him to say the least. The last 2 games he's looked off the pace; his first touch has been woeful and he hasn't really got into games. Not getting into games could be attributed to the fact that he hasn't really had any service though. He's still working hard for the team and that's the least we ask for when a player isn't playing particularly well. I just hope he gets back on the scoresheet sharpish.

Agreed (and a good post).

To add to this, I don't think Moyes will sign him at the end of the season.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Pretty much the same things we were saying a few games in. People who saw him play in Moscow said that he was always a "2nd" striker and played off Love (weird considering Love is a midget) and struggled in our 1 up front formation. Im intrigued that you guys have noticed a work rate in him (i guess thats Moyes's influence) because we didnt really see that at all. His biggest fault in our eyes was his lack of physicality and ease at which he would go down (no pun intended) or get brushed off the ball.

I think I'll pop back again in the next couple of weeks and see which way the Jo-ometer swings.. right now it feels like ToffeeTalk are rating him at a 6.5/10 (showed some promise but also some very limiting flaws which we're putting down to lack of match practice right now)?

Mike