IGNORED

Jagielka

I sense a theme on this forum regarding Phil Jagielka. There are many who will not have a word said about him and this can be weighed up with the number of votes he gets for Man of the Match. I will not argue with the fact that he has had a fantastic season and has been rock solid BUT, and yes lets have that BUT, it has been since his switch to centre half after 3 or 4 games in midfield at the start of the season, when to be honest he was so out of his depth. I know that is not his position, however all the same he could not perform there. The same can be said of his couple of right back appearances in the last two away games, especially last night at Blackburn where he probably had his worst game since August. Jagielkas distribution from open play is not the best and last night if some of his passes had been made by Hibbert or Neville, I suggest you would have heard the groans from Ewood. The lad has performed superbly at centre half (and apart from the silly mistake against Spain, he pulled Terry out of the shit, but the press won't have that) and should remain there, especially as we have Neville, Jacobsen and even Yobo who can fill the right back position when Hibbert is out. I hear calls on here for him to be Captain etc etc, well i think we should leave that well alone and let him get on with doing what he has been doing well without the added pressure. This post is not a rant or anything, in fact its recognition to a great Centre Half, against Jagielka because like most people I think he will be voted as our player of the season and that is because he has found his position and in my opinion there have not been many in the premiership this season better at Centre Half than him and that includes Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher amongst others.

Edited by The Beard

I get what you are saying Beard man, but i would suggest that Jagielka is now an out and out centre half. He has been moved to right back against Blackburn because Moyes felt that he was the best option. Whether moyes was correct is another matter. We don't know how good Jacobsen is, i have a feeling he is pretty dire. So we can't knock him for moving to right back with minimal fuss.

I think he's been shocking at RB, and even though he's one of my favourite players I've said so. He shouldn't be playing there because he proved last season that he CAN'T. I wouldn't even put Yobo at RB because he'll stagnate our right side too. If Moyes won't play Jacobsen then I'd even throw Irving in there because at least RB is his natural position (I think!). I was groaning when he played long ball after long ball against Blackburn :P . He does it at CB too, although it's a lot less. I doubt that anyone's voted him MOTM for his performances at RB so to bring the MOTM votes into it is a bit harsh. His votes for MOTM will have come when he's been at CB, where he has been nothing short of superb for the most part.

Totally agree... i thought Yobo would have been the natural person to fill the void at right back. However a clean sheet is a clean sheet. I think the problem wasnt defensively, it was the attacking side of the position that let him down. Didnt Yobo play right back for us at other times in previous seasons?

last time yobo played at right back was the worse ive ever seen him play was about a year or so ago! hes awful there i'd rather see him in front of the back four than there!

I seem to remember the last time Yobo played RB he was awful but I also seem to remember he played there a few times earlier in his Everton career and looked like a budding Roberto Carlos, he was bombing up the wing using his pace. The problem will be his final ball but I'd still give him a go there, at least he has the pace to play that position and gives us extra height at set-pieces which lets face it, are probably now going to be the source of a lot of our goals.

Romey, the MOM was not really the aim of the post. I was just pointing out that in some eyes he has been given MOM's when others have probably deserved them as he is flavour of the month. That is not withstanding that he would get my vote as player of the season and I don't think I have contradicted myself there, lol.

Yobo should definately be playing at right back instead of Jagielka. He has been the centre piece in our defence and now he's out of the game too much. Nothing against Yobo, good player but he sometimes makes silly mistakes. Yobo would give us more pace at right back against quick wingers which might be needed against Manure in the Semi-final also more of an attacking option with his pace going forward. I know he's not much of an attacking footballer but its a start while Hibberts out

Yobo was an absolute disaster when we used him as a right back and equally inept in midfield. He is a good centre back and thats it.

I agree with those saying we should also leave Jags in the centre surely Jacobsen cant be that bad that he cant even be given a chance

id rather him be a disaster at right back than centre half... he is a good centre back however jags should not be moved out of the centre he has been probable our most consistent player and a good contender for player of the season while he is playing at centre half.

This thread shows what a crap player friend Jacobson must be as DM has chosen to disrupt the best defence in the league by moving men out of position rather than play him. I like Joey, he is an honest player but we are better with Hibbo, Jags, Joleon and Leighton. I'd think about giving Joey a try as a forward, he will be better than Jo

id rather him be a disaster at right back than centre half... he is a good centre back however jags should not be moved out of the centre he has been probable our most consistent player and a good contender for player of the season while he is playing at centre half.

That makes no sense. You've just been talking Yobo up as a good center half, and now you're saying his a disastrous center half. :huh:

My feeling is that Jacobsen must be given a go against Stoke. They're not a terribly good side (save for Delap's monster throws!) and it's against these lower quality sides that our new players must be trialled. Jacobsen was a puzzling aquisition for my money. He's evidently not a level above our other right backs (Hibbert and Nev), and it's not as if we need more cover for that position.

I'm beginning to wonder if he was a panic signing by Moyes. Rather like Castillo, in that Moyes only saw videos of the bloke playing, but has now realised he's not so good after seeing him in training.

Guest efctaxi

He must be able to play a bit to have made the national team .

"Lars Christian Jacobsen, (born September 20, 1979), is a Danish professional football player, who currently plays as a defender for English Premier League side Everton. He is the first choice right full back for the Danish national team. He got his big break-through the following season, when he played 15 first team matches, even though the club was relegated to the 1st Division. He helped the club win promotion the very next season. His most notable result with OB came in the 2002 Danish Cup final. OB won 2-0 against defending Superliga champions F.C. Copenhagen, and Jacobsen was named "Cup Fighter" (man of the match) as the club won its first trophy in nine years. After the cup triumph, he moved abroad to play for German club Hamburger SV (HSV). HSV was no success for Jacobsen, as he played 22 German Bundesliga matches in his one and a half year at the club. In the 2003 winter transfer window, he moved back to Denmark to play for F.C. Copenhagen (FCK).

At FCK, Jacobsen was assigned the number 2 shirt, and he quickly became a part of the starting line-up, playing in different defender positions. He established himself at right full back, and in FCK's 2005–06 season, he played full time as the club won the Superliga championship; 2,970 minutes in 33 matches. He was selected by national team coach Morten Olsen for the Danish national team in spring 2006. He made his national team debut on March 1, 2006, and played all 90 minutes of the friendly match 2-0 win against Israel. He went on to play eight national team games in a row, before Morten Olsen decided to spare the FCK players in November 2006, due to FCK's tough fall schedule with several games in the international UEFA Champions League 2006–07 tournament.

Jacobsen was one of several FCK players who gathered international attention in FCK's UEFA Champions League games, and as he looked to leave the club on a free transfer in June 2007, he was rumoured to be sold in the 2006 winter transfer window. A number of European clubs were reportedly interested in buying him, among them Everton FC, Paris SG and his former club Hamburger SV. In December 2006, Jacobsen agreed with FCK to stay at the club until his contract ran out, helping the club defend the Superliga championship.[1]

Days later he signed a contract with German club 1. FC Nuremberg starting from July 2007. His stay with the German club was troubled because of injuries, and the club also failed to stay in the German Bundesliga. He therefore requested to leave and it was granted by the club in late June 2008.[2]

In August 2008, Jacobsen signed for English Premier League club Everton on a free transfer, on a one-year deal, and was assigned squad number 15.[3] However, he is yet to play for the club after injuring his shoulder.

"

If he is only here for 1 year , then might as well give him a whirl as a sub surely .