Photo

Man Of The Match V Middlesbrough

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: MOTM v Boro (67 member(s) have cast votes)

????????????????

1. Tim Howard (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Phil Jagielka (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Joesph Yobo (1 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

4. Joleon Lescott (7 votes [10.45%])

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

5. Leighton Baines (2 votes [2.99%])

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

6. Jack Rodwell (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Phil Neville (11 votes [16.42%])

Percentage of vote: 16.42%

8. Leon Osman (1 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

9. Steven Pienaar (10 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

10. Marouane Fellaini (19 votes [28.36%])

Percentage of vote: 28.36%

11. Tim Cahill (3 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

12. Louis Saha (13 votes [19.40%])

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 08:27

Admin abuse :lol:

Some credit has to go to Boro for the first half too . Not only were we not at our best , but they also played well first half .

It seems to me there is a bit of a come down from the highs in December / January / February , and some of us are still expecting similar performances . In a way , we are giving a good account of ourselves , especially considering our injuries , and also the fact that we have a cup tied striker .

December

7 Dec, 16:00 Everton 2 - 3 Aston Villa Premier League
13 Dec, 15:00 Manchester City 0 - 1 Everton Premier League ( efctaxi joins forum :P )
22 Dec, 20:00 Everton 0 - 0 Chelsea Premier League
26 Dec, 15:00 Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Everton Premier League
28 Dec, 14:00 Everton 3 - 0 Sunderland Premier League

January

3 Jan, 15:00 Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Everton FA Cup
10 Jan, 15:00 Everton 2 - 0 Hull City Premier League
19 Jan, 20:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton Premier League
25 Jan, 16:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton FA Cup
28 Jan, 20:00 Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal Premier League
31 Jan, 17:30 Manchester United 1 - 0 Everton Premier League

February

4 Feb, 20:10 Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool FA Cup
7 Feb, 15:00 Everton 3 - 0 Bolton Wanderers Premier League
15 Feb, 14:30 Everton 3 - 1 Aston Villa FA Cup
22 Feb, 16:00 Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton Premier League
28 Feb, 12:45 Everton 2 - 0 West Bromwich Premier League

March

4 Mar, 20:00 Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Everton Premier League
8 Mar, 16:00 Everton 2 - 1 Middlesbrough FA Cup

2 losses in 18 games , or more importantly only 1 loss in 17 games since Villa , and that was against United , and a penalty at that :)
That's over 3 months of absolute quality , and though we're struggling a little , we're still getting results , and not losing .

I'm surprised the monthly awards only happened once for our team .

Gotta stay positive :)

Neville might have been overlooked and Fellaini chosen , but it's all opinion .
Setanta gave the motm to Saha , but despite Neville having another good game , I certainly didn't offer my vote to Fellaini because he is my favourite player lol . My favourite player is a toss up between Baines and believe it or not Neville , for 2 very different reasons .
Baines for bringing the squad to life , and Neville for being a great captain .
My motm is still big bird though :D

Morning Taxi youve had a late night, all those facts and figures look very nice and just shows how easily we should have disposed of Boro, who have had a complete reversal of those figures and only won one of the last 16 games.
They're all very nice stats but they have no relevance to the MOTM voting. ;)

The idea is that you choose the player you think gave the best performance for the 90 minutes against Boro, i know a lot of peeps see games in different ways and i usually respect thier vote, but on this occasion they are so far off the mark i wonder if they have ever seen a football match, and on what basis they judge an individual players performance.

#42 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 09:18

Fellaini was a joke as usual, cannot pass, has legs made of stone....anyway, MOTM was Neville. Never scared out of a challenge, linked up defenders with the wings (on the rare occasion that we didn't hoof it).
Closely followed by J Lo, put in some important blocks to keep us in the game.

#43 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,679 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 09:31

fellaini actually did a bit of running in this game and caused problems i said before it if hes playin hope its up top does a great job up there! big physical team and he did well not to retaliate to their bullyin and get a goal!

#44 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 10:07

I don't think it was just yesterday that Neville was overlooked but the last 5 or 6 games. Even when we were rubbish against Newcastle and Blackburn Neville was still performing well, when we played Villa in the cup when everyone raved about Rodwell, Neville still outshone him imo. He's been playing superb for months yet gets little or no recognition, if Rodwell ever wants to become a DM (I'm not convinced) then he could do with taking some lessons from Neville in how to go about it as at the moment Rodwell looks a little boy lost whilst Neville looks like a midfield general.

I'd also like to take up Jimmy's point about Hibbert in another post, he's another player who has been underappreciated this season, one mistake against Villa aside, he never put a foot wrong and we miss him badly at the moment as Jagielka isn't in the same class as a RB.

Looking at the motm standings for the season I think it's a joke how Neville, Hibbert, Howard and in particular Lescott aren't higher in the standings. Lescott has been just as good as Jags (and better in quite a few matches) for the past 3 or 4 months. He has hardly made a mistake, he's excellent in the air, nearly always in the right place and he is a lot better on the ball than Jags. As brilliant as Jags has been (and he has been brilliant), Lescott is the classier player.

oh and a mention for Osman yesterday, he wasn't 100% back to his best but he was 10000 times better than he has been in recent weeks, his energy and workrate seemed to be back as well. His closing down got us one of the goals.

Edited by carlmc25, 09 Mar 2009 - 10:08.

#45 duncanmckenzieismagic

duncanmckenzieismagic

Howard Kendall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,580 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 10:41

I don't think it was just yesterday that Neville was overlooked but the last 5 or 6 games. Even when we were rubbish against Newcastle and Blackburn Neville was still performing well, when we played Villa in the cup when everyone raved about Rodwell, Neville still outshone him imo. He's been playing superb for months yet gets little or no recognition, if Rodwell ever wants to become a DM (I'm not convinced) then he could do with taking some lessons from Neville in how to go about it as at the moment Rodwell looks a little boy lost whilst Neville looks like a midfield general.

I'd also like to take up Jimmy's point about Hibbert in another post, he's another player who has been underappreciated this season, one mistake against Villa aside, he never put a foot wrong and we miss him badly at the moment as Jagielka isn't in the same class as a RB.

Looking at the motm standings for the season I think it's a joke how Neville, Hibbert, Howard and in particular Lescott aren't higher in the standings. Lescott has been just as good as Jags (and better in quite a few matches) for the past 3 or 4 months. He has hardly made a mistake, he's excellent in the air, nearly always in the right place and he is a lot better on the ball than Jags. As brilliant as Jags has been (and he has been brilliant), Lescott is the classier player.

oh and a mention for Osman yesterday, he wasn't 100% back to his best but he was 10000 times better than he has been in recent weeks, his energy and workrate seemed to be back as well. His closing down got us one of the goals.

:D :P
Cant agree more but keep it quiet or Taxi will want to sell them all!

#46 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 11:13

if that were the case, wouldn't we have the same MOTM every game?
or at the very least have the same players receive the same minimum of votes each game? (which is not the case)

do you actually disagree with the overall standings of MOTM? .. I find them to be quite accurate with Jagielka and Arteta leading the pack. Maybe only Neville should be a little higher. So this also unjustifies your statement...

I watched the whole game on tv (so no streaming problems, didn't miss a thing) and I can't believe you thought Neville was -BY FAR- the best player .. but that doesn't mean to me that you just vote Neville because you like him, I respect the fact that you saw the game that way even though I didn't..

we were indeed playing bad for a large part of this game, however we played much better than those atrocious efforts against newcastle and blackburn .. you need to look at this game in that light and then you can't deny obvious progress.. I actually applaud the fact that the overall sentiment on this forum is now one of optimism .. one good half and we're immediately behind our players again without bitching about this and that... we can build on this!

Well I was at the game and, as I have said before, Neville was our best player BY FAR. You might have seen the game on TV but seeing the game live you get to see everything that the camera doesn't pick up on, as I am sure you already know. Neville lead the team by example yesterday. I am not a Neville fan boy. He is not my favourite player, though i do think he is a great captain. This will be one of the first times I have voted for him this season so its not favouritism on my behalf. I am just saying it as I saw it. Neville didn't put a foot wrong, many other players did.

#47 Jimmy the blue

Jimmy the blue

Graeme Sharp

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 11:25

Sorry guys if I wasn't clear enough .

What I meant was that Howard looked a little nervous throughout the match , and certainly wasn't his assured self either with his hands or his feet .
Definitely looked alike he was having one of those days . :)

He did so what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#48 Jimmy the blue

Jimmy the blue

Graeme Sharp

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 11:28

Well I was at the game and, as I have said before, Neville was our best player BY FAR. You might have seen the game on TV but seeing the game live you get to see everything that the camera doesn't pick up on, as I am sure you already know. Neville lead the team by example yesterday. I am not a Neville fan boy. He is not my favourite player, though i do think he is a great captain. This will be one of the first times I have voted for him this season so its not favouritism on my behalf. I am just saying it as I saw it. Neville didn't put a foot wrong, many other players did.

Jamie, I watched it at home and Nev was BY FAR the best player on the park, you also know I'm not one of his biggest fans either. Basically that is what Bill was on about, the only explanation can be that those voting for the improved Mo wear wigs :( :P

#49 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 12:15

Holystove ........(1).. if that were the case, wouldn't we have the same MOTM every game?
or at the very least have the same players receive the same minimum of votes each game? (which is not the case)

(2)...do you actually disagree with the overall standings of MOTM? .. I find them to be quite accurate with Jagielka and Arteta leading the pack. Maybe only Neville should be a little higher. So this also unjustifies your statement...

--------

(1).. NO, because different peeps have different favourites and votes are spread. Early on in the season, i'm not sure which game it was and cant be bothered searching for it, we had a sub come on in the 85th minute and somebody actually voted for him as MOTM :huh: he was only on the pitch for 5 mins ffs, thats the sort of thing i'm talking about. And if you look back on all the threads you can find more examples.

(2).. YES, not so much the top 2 or 3 but as Carl has already pointed out in his post which is further up the thread, Neville, Lescott, Pienaar, and Hibbert havent recieved the votes they deserve, but the worst of all imo is Joseph Yobo :o even Noah Baahdi has had more votes than Yobo (8 points all season), that is idiotic.
All the players play for our team and should be looked on as equals but they're not, Arteta is most peoples darling and will always get some votes even when he has been rubbish, Hibbert is everybodys scapegoat and will never be given any votes even when he deserves them.
So what i'm saying is if people stop voting for their favourites and give their vote to somebody who actually has had a good game, it would cast a fairer reflection in the overall standings.

#50 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 12:40

Me too and agree with you 100%.

#51 holystove

holystove

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 12:55

(1).. NO, because different peeps have different favourites and votes are spread. Early on in the season, i'm not sure which game it was and cant be bothered searching for it, we had a sub come on in the 85th minute and somebody actually voted for him as MOTM :huh: he was only on the pitch for 5 mins ffs, thats the sort of thing i'm talking about. And if you look back on all the threads you can find more examples.

so how does that translate into this game? ... the equivalent of what you describe would be if for example Rodwell had received a vote seeing how he only played one half and not a very good one at that ...
while in this MOTM vote I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

jamie's probably right in saying that you get a better sense of what Neville does when you're at the game, maybe he does a lot of stuff away from the ball that you don't get to see on TV...

anyway it doesn't matter.. I just thought that your post in which you said that you (an admin) wanted to abandon such a popular feature as MOTM because you didn't think it reflected the way you saw the game was something that needed to be responded to :) .

#52 The Beard

The Beard

Joe Royle

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 13:02

Well yesterdays man of the match has opened up a can of worms and true to form I shall open it further with my own opinion, as viewed from my lovely speck in the Upper Gwladys Street. Apart from scoring Fellaini was atrocious and I can't believe the amount of MOM's votes he got for yesterday and I am one of his lesser critics, his passing was poor and his work rate was dismal. The defence was solid enough but did have some shaky moments and I believe that is because Jagielka is playing out of position. The best player was Neville, again he had to carry Rodwell, who like at Blackburn, looked out of his depth. Neville was tidy enough, strong in the tackle and won a fair few headers. I think he his an underrated player and does not seem to get any credit whatsoever, unlike flavours of the month.

#53 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 13:49

:D :P
Cant agree more but keep it quiet or Taxi will want to sell them all!

Bitch :lol:

#54 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 13:51

Holystove ........... I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

But my argument is for those who didnt, Jagielka, Yobo, and Osman altho not at their best where still much better than Fellaini.

And i didnt say i wanted to abandon it ... Quote (i really think we should think about abandoning). Simply because its not giving a fair reflection of how most players have played.

You and i obviously dont see it the same so i will leave it at that, but i'm just hoping that this discussion has made some people aware that voting for favourites is not how its done, just asking peeps to be truthfull and be fair, they are all EFC players. ;)

#55 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 14:12

Bill says Posted Image

I say Posted Image

#56 adz09

adz09

Dixie Dean.

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 14:20

Got to say Pienaar. His work rate is phenomenal. Nearly gave it Lescott.

Edited by adz09, 09 Mar 2009 - 14:20.

#57 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 15:14

Holystove ........... I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

But my argument is for those who didnt, Jagielka, Yobo, and Osman altho not at their best where still much better than Fellaini.

And i didnt say i wanted to abandon it ... Quote (i really think we should think about abandoning). Simply because its not giving a fair reflection of how most players have played.

You and i obviously dont see it the same so i will leave it at that, but i'm just hoping that this discussion has made some people aware that voting for favourites is not how its done, just asking peeps to be truthfull and be fair, they are all EFC players. ;)

Bill , with respect , why do you look at your view on the match as being the correct one ?

I have to be honest and say that some of your comments are slightly harsh . The whole idea of a vote is to allow folks to vote freely , and not have to justify themselves in doing so . What you are doing here is the equivalent of putting a bouncer on the door of voting booths to ensure votes go according to plan .

On this forum , there are members from all age groups , and each will have a different perspective and indeed opinion . If they vote , they should be allowed to vote without without having to justify themselves , or have others tell them they are wrong , or biased .
The fact that you are an admin still only gets you one vote ya big banana , so use it .

Accusing folks of voting for their favourites , or being untruthful or unfair is a bit ................. well ........... let's just say it's unexpected from a man of your intelligence and calibre :)

Now stop crying ya big closet red wally :lol:

#58 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 15:46

Bill , with respect , why do you look at your view on the match as being the correct one ?

I have to be honest and say that some of your comments are slightly harsh . The whole idea of a vote is to allow folks to vote freely , and not have to justify themselves in doing so . What you are doing here is the equivalent of putting a bouncer on the door of voting booths to ensure votes go according to plan .

On this forum , there are members from all age groups , and each will have a different perspective and indeed opinion . If they vote , they should be allowed to vote without without having to justify themselves , or have others tell them they are wrong , or biased .
The fact that you are an admin still only gets you one vote ya big banana , so use it .

Accusing folks of voting for their favourites , or being untruthful or unfair is a bit ................. well ........... let's just say it's unexpected from a man of your intelligence and calibre :)

Now stop crying ya big closet red wally :lol:

It was'nt just my view, lots of peeps also saw it that way, the only ones who didnt are the peeps who can only see one or two players ( the ones they like ) on the field, and dismiss the other nine. I havent mentioned any peeps in particular so if everybodys conscience is clear on how they voted and they think they have done the right thing they have nothing to get upset about. Is that why your having a go, didnt you vote Fellaini. ???

And i dont like the way you have a good go at me and then try to make out everything was a joke by trying to finish off by trying to be Humerous, thats a bit two faced for my liking.
Either you have a go or you dont, but you cant mix the two and get away without me responding. Ive agreed to dis-agree with Holystove and as far as i'm concerned the same goes for this conversation as well.

#59 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 15:59

It was'nt just my view, lots of peeps also saw it that way, the only ones who didnt are the peeps who can only see one or two players ( the ones they like ) on the field, and dismiss the other nine. I havent mentioned any peeps in particular so if everybodys conscience is clear on how they voted and they think they have done the right thing they have nothing to get upset about. Is that why your having a go, didnt you vote Fellaini. ???

And i dont like the way you have a good go at me and then try to make out everything was a joke by trying to finish off by trying to be Humerous, thats a bit two faced for my liking.
Either you have a go or you dont, but you cant mix the two and get away without me responding. Ive agreed to dis-agree with Holystove and as far as i'm concerned the same goes for this conversation as well.

Grow up Bill .
Is that having a go enough for you mate ? :angry:

#60 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 16:01

Thats more like it, you didnt finish with the stupid smileys.

Grow up .............. now that is a joke.

#61 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 16:27

Thats more like it, you didnt finish with the stupid smileys.

Grow up .............. now that is a joke.

Bill mate .
I like you very much , but I totally disagree with your overall analasys on this occasion , so before our disagreement escalates , I'm out .
Have fun :)

#62 Churinga2

Churinga2

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 16:29

Edited by Churinga, 10 Mar 2009 - 09:37.

#63 The Regulator

The Regulator

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 17:16

Let's be fair guys, the MOTM thread is going to have varied opinions from everyone and all of them and none of them are correct. To me, a MOTM is somebody who stood out as playing superbly in their role, being involved in as much as possible, both defending and attacking, and doing so with style and flair and the overall commitment and deication it takes to winning a football match. Ergo, the match would be a lot different if this person didn't play, and more to the point, play the way they did on the day.

Some people view Fellaini as a bad purchase and a detriment to the team, and that's fair enough, but the kid is always causing trouble for the opposition. He's big and imposing, he causes them to foul and can win long balls which we often send up the pitch. All in all, whatever it is that Fellaini doesn't do in the eyes of the critics, he still does that, which unsettles and unbalances teams and their goalies'. Brad Jones made a couple of mistakes on the day that led to our goals, I'm not saying Fellaini caused that but he did score a goal. <_<

One of Bill's arguments was that in MOTM thread a while ago somebody voted for a sub who was on for 5 minutes, which is fair enough...but we have to remember that nobody, even if they agree with you would have had the same perspective. I could be sat next to MikeO at a game, and we could both have the same vantage point but see a completely different game to each other, viewing 50/50's and long balls in different views. We may disagree wildly, but it doesn't stop either of us being right. There is no right or wrong here, it's all opinion. And to argue a person's own opinion of a player's performance is just silly, since you won't change each other's mind.

Personally I went for Saha, but I only saw half a match, does that mean my opinion isn't as valid as someone who's watched 90 minutes? No. It was my opinion, and everyone is in their right to disagree with it, but noone can tell me I'm wrong because it's my opinion.

I hope these threads keep going because I like them, and Arteta and Jags being at the top is a pretty fair reflection so I don't see the hassle. :gay:

#64 Jimmy the blue

Jimmy the blue

Graeme Sharp

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 18:27

Let's be fair guys, the MOTM thread is going to have varied opinions from everyone and all of them and none of them are correct. To me, a MOTM is somebody who stood out as playing superbly in their role, being involved in as much as possible, both defending and attacking, and doing so with style and flair and the overall commitment and deication it takes to winning a football match. Ergo, the match would be a lot different if this person didn't play, and more to the point, play the way they did on the day.

Some people view Fellaini as a bad purchase and a detriment to the team, and that's fair enough, but the kid is always causing trouble for the opposition. He's big and imposing, he causes them to foul and can win long balls which we often send up the pitch. All in all, whatever it is that Fellaini doesn't do in the eyes of the critics, he still does that, which unsettles and unbalances teams and their goalies'. Brad Jones made a couple of mistakes on the day that led to our goals, I'm not saying Fellaini caused that but he did score a goal. <_<

One of Bill's arguments was that in MOTM thread a while ago somebody voted for a sub who was on for 5 minutes, which is fair enough...but we have to remember that nobody, even if they agree with you would have had the same perspective. I could be sat next to MikeO at a game, and we could both have the same vantage point but see a completely different game to each other, viewing 50/50's and long balls in different views. We may disagree wildly, but it doesn't stop either of us being right. There is no right or wrong here, it's all opinion. And to argue a person's own opinion of a player's performance is just silly, since you won't change each other's mind.

Personally I went for Saha, but I only saw half a match, does that mean my opinion isn't as valid as someone who's watched 90 minutes? No. It was my opinion, and everyone is in their right to disagree with it, but noone can tell me I'm wrong because it's my opinion.
I hope these threads keep going because I like them, and Arteta and Jags being at the top is a pretty fair reflection so I don't see the hassle. :gay:

you are wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

#65 The Regulator

The Regulator

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 18:57

you are wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

mate....................shit init? <_<

#66 JYokabuchebe

JYokabuchebe

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 20:36

I voted for Fellaini mainly cause he has a nice haircut ;)

Edited by JYokabuchebe, 09 Mar 2009 - 20:43.

#67 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 20:48

Your 1st post, might be your last. :)

#68 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,422 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 20:51

Made me laugh :lol: .

#69 234ever

234ever

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 20:58

I think some guys here are just too harsh on Fellaini, he wasn't playing good at all last few games, but if a guy like him has back problems it severly hampers him in everything he does, jump, sprint, etc.

And yes he isn't the fastest one on the pitch although I think many of you would be suprised to know just how fast Fellaini really is. He is slow out of the blocks but once he's in top gear he's really not that slow. His main problem is his acceleration, but for a guy of 6'4 it's really not that easy.

If you guys don't want him I think that there are plenty of teams in the PL who would appreciate him and certainly could use him. You are focussing way too much on his flaws ...

I'm certainly not talking about everyone here it's just shocking how Fellaini's being targetted here sometimes.

I voted Fellaini BTW...

#70 dark

dark

Pixie Lott <3

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 21:02

Made me laugh :lol: .

Me too, mainly because I knew that Bill would say something as soon as he saw it ;) Fellaini is getting a lot of stick in this thread which in my opinion is undeserved. He's scored a goal for us and done quite well in the whole match. The team was all-round poor so it seems un-fair to single him out as the worst player. For me he deserves some credit for his role on Sunday.

And yes he isn't the fastest one on the pitch although I think many of you would be suprised to know just how fast Fellaini really is. He is slow out of the blocks but once he's in top gear he's really not that slow. His main problem is his acceleration, but for a guy of 6'4 it's really not that easy.

If you guys don't want him I think that there are plenty of teams in the PL who would appreciate him and certainly could use him. You are focussing way too much on his flaws ...

Well said mate.

#71 Guest_efctaxi_*

Guest_efctaxi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 21:37

If Bill bans you then you can have my account details :)
They might not be much good to you when mine is also banned , but it's the gesture that counts right ? :P

#72 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 21:49

I think some guys here are just too harsh on Fellaini, he wasn't playing good at all last few games,

Shot yourself in the foot there.

And yes he isn't the fastest one on the pitch although I think many of you would be suprised to know just how fast Fellaini really is. l He is slow out of the blocks but once he's in top gear he's really not that slow. His main problem is his acceleration, but for a guy of 6'4 it's really not that easy.

How have you measured his acceleration/pace then? I am genuinely interested to know...

#73 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 21:51

Me too, mainly because I knew that Bill would say something as soon as he saw it ;) Fellaini is getting a lot of stick in this thread which in my opinion is undeserved. He's scored a goal for us and done quite well in the whole match. The team was all-round poor so it seems un-fair to single him out as the worst player. For me he deserves some credit for his role on Sunday.

Nobody has said he is the worst player, just not MOTM.

#74 TD_1985

TD_1985

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 22:13

I voted for Fellaini, closely followed by Lescott and Neville.
Like some already pointed out, some guys are being to harsh on Fellaini.
He is important for Everton in his own way, has his qualities and his flaws like everyone else, but sometimes I get the feeling his pricetag does people see only his flaws.
He's young and new in England, give the guy some credit please!

#75 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 22:33

How have you measured his acceleration/pace then? I am genuinely interested to know...

the only way any reasonable man can measure it, football manager!!!

#76 234ever

234ever

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2009 - 23:03

Shot yourself in the foot there.

No I don't think I did ... he wasn't playing all that well the last few games(due to his injury maybe) and all of a sudden he was a panic buy, he was shite ... that's what I meant by being too harsh on him.

And pace and accelaration ... well just by watching ... how can you tell that Young and Ag.... have pace? You only need to see them run once ... same with Fellaini.
In a sprint over 10-20 meters he's not that fast at all, but a sprint over 50-60 meters is a whole other matter. I'm not saying he's fast ... he hasn't got that extra gear but he isn't slow either.

#77 JYokabuchebe

JYokabuchebe

Denis Stracqualursi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 Mar 2009 - 01:16

Thanks efctaxi, I'll keep that in mind :lol:. I said I voted Fellaini just to tease Bill btw :competitive: . I voted Lescott, he played a pretty tight match and it's hard to get yourself into the picture being a defender.. Otherwise, maybe its a bad thing if you get yourself into the picture as a defender :lol:. He disorves it, but as much as Neville, Fellaini and Pienaar do.

#78 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 10 Mar 2009 - 07:27

Thanks efctaxi, I'll keep that in mind :lol:. I said I voted Fellaini just to tease Bill btw :competitive: . I voted Lescott, he played a pretty tight match and it's hard to get yourself into the picture being a defender.. Otherwise, maybe its a bad thing if you get yourself into the picture as a defender :lol:. He disorves it, but as much as Neville, Fellaini and Pienaar do.

It gave me a chuckle. :) welcome to the forum.

#79 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 Mar 2009 - 09:11

No I don't think I did ... he wasn't playing all that well the last few games(due to his injury maybe) and all of a sudden he was a panic buy, he was shite ... that's what I meant by being too harsh on him.

And pace and accelaration ... well just by watching ... how can you tell that Young and Ag.... have pace? You only need to see them run once ... same with Fellaini.
In a sprint over 10-20 meters he's not that fast at all, but a sprint over 50-60 meters is a whole other matter. I'm not saying he's fast ... he hasn't got that extra gear but he isn't slow either.

If you look back at the forum posts people have long doubted his ability. You said people are being harsh on him then in the same sentence you said he has not played well at all, which is exactly what we have been saying.

I must have missed Fellaini running past people in all the games I have watched. At least you got something right, Ashley Young and Agbonlahor do have pace.

50-60m sprint is different to 10-20m (by 40m), whats your point?

#80 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 Mar 2009 - 10:10

I really don't see what relevance there is in saying that Fellaini may have no acceleration but once he gets going he's quite quick. I actually doubt this statement anyway but the reality is he is never going to have a 60m dash after a ball, it's always going to be a 10-20 yard sprint at most and Fellaini is never going to get there first. Several times on Sunday I thought Fellaini was going to get on the end of a decent ball only to be absolutely destroyed over about 10 yards. I have had my doubts about his pace ever since we signed him, very few players make it in the Premier League who are that slow. Players like Cahill, Osman, Arteta etc may not be lightning quick but they are quite nippy and NOT slow, Fellaini just lumbers around and I can't see how any all-round midfielder can cut it without pace. I hope he proves me wrong and he has played quite well on occasion and you can't help but like the guy but if everyone was fit, he wouldn't be in my Everton team at the moment. Hopefully we'll get him speed training in the Summer pre-season and then maybe we'll see a different animal next year, otherwise Moyes may move him on imo.

Edited by carlmc25, 10 Mar 2009 - 10:10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users