IGNORED

Why Did You Become A Blue?

An old title for a thread but one we haven't done for a while and we have many new members

In my case I became a blue following our 10 - 4 hammering by Spurs. it was 11th October 1958. My family at that time were all red and they laid into Everton good style. At that point in time the clouds parted, angelic singing could be heard and I became a blue, I was chosen. Since then all my immediate family are blue, its a prerequisite to being in our clan.

I was a Couple of years before you Jimmy 1952. My saturday afternoons had always been spent in the "Hopey" (the Hope Hall Cinema) in Hope Street usually watching Hoppalong Cassidy or Johnny Mac Brown being the Heroes in those Cowboy matinees.. :D

Dad was a Red and i had always asked him if he would take me to the match but he never did, Large family and money a bit scarce so i never pushed it. Anyway my eldest brother always went to watch Everton and knew i wanted to see a match so one day he and my Uncle Tommy, took me with them to Goodison and i never did go to anfield after that.

Had no idea what my first game was but it was the year before the "Mathews Final" , they say peeps never remember losers but i do, Everton lost in the Semi to Bolton 4-3 the same score they themselves lost in the final, it would have been a great end to my 1st full season as an evertonian but it was'nt to be, I had to wait another 10 years before the good times rolled in. :)

So i have been tied to the club for about 57 years now, seen some highs and seen some lows but thats what its all about.

Ive got 3 brothers who are Blues, one brother who is Red, and one brother who isnt bothered about any sport at all, I dont know how my Dad slipped up seeing as he was a Red and most of us turned out to be blues. Its a funny old game. :lol:

This thread makes me feel incredibly young :lol:

Come from a family of Reds mainly and I've always been a fan of the underdog. I was interested in football, but not any one team. I supported Everton in the derbies, just to piss them off to be perfectly honest :lol: I did, however, take an immediate liking to how the club was run, the manager and just the sheer passion and tenacity of Everton's players.

I was chosen :lol:

Guest efctaxi

My dad and his family were blues .

I was the oldest son and sat on my dads knee at matches . My brothers are all reds bless their little sotten cocks .

i was given the free option by me dad i could support anyone i wanted as long as it was everton :lol: i might aswell have been born wi a blue shirt on! dad funnily enough is a teesider though who grew up a boro fan then decided one day he didnt wanna follow what everyone else did and said whoever finished 3rd in the league he would support from then on and it was everton! then i was chosen also :D

It wasnt a conscious decision, as far as I can remember Ive ALWAYS been a blue, just as my Dad was and his Dad before him. Also my Mum is from Everton and I believe I have been blue since er "popping out" (or perhaps since going "in" - ewwww) :sick01: .

I remember the odd thing from 1975-76 season but the first game I actually remember watching highlights of on sportsnight was the 1977 League Cup Final Replay v Aston Villa (not sure if 1st or 2nd replay).

The next game I remember is that bloody "Clive Thomas" 1977 FA Cup semi Final v the R/S. We was robbed. :mad:

The First game I went to at Goodison was v Arsenal in 1977, 2-0 to us with legends Andy King :king_right: and Bob Latchford :hairy: scoring. Also remember Pat Jennings :gay: making one of his trademark one handed saves (OK so he's not gay but he had big hands).

I am Deffo in the "born a blue" catagory.

Edited by Maghull70

In Finland we have a long tradition of English football. Every saturday has shown a first division match, later premiership matches, from late 70s. I have always loved english football and my moment were bit different than any others so far in this moment :) . I loved sportscartoon named Buster and there were several good different cartoons about football. One of em had team called Harjumäen Sisu(dont know other languages what is have been called, but direct translation to english is Guts of Harjumäki) and their starplayer Eki Eskelinen, a finnish national team player :) got transfer into Evertonshirt. At the matches he played the crowd were singing Everton songs and those got my interest to clubs history, what certainly got me hooked. Since that ive had point of no return. It was about 22y ago when i were 10y old COYB

Edited by LexKing

im similar to maghull, i dont remember ever not supporting everton. i just always have, i put it down to my dad being blue, his brother & his dad too. one of his brothers sons lost it and ended up red, but apart form him all of my dads family are blue. my mums family are split, her mum was red, her dad was blue. so between the five sisters and two brothers its pretty even. and they stay solid down the family tree, if mum/dad was red/blue the kids would be the same. no choice.

I'm a glory hunter!

Old man a mackem (Wasn't having any of that) mum a southerner, and I spent the earlier years of my life in the far east as my dad was in the army.

On his demob the family settled on the south coast and I got my first full season of English football.

Schoolfriends all supported London teams or Pompey/Saints/Brighton so I was being persuaded to support all sorts!

Anyway, along came the cup final that year and it coincided with the first flush of youthful rebellion, my old man was insistent that some mob called "The Owls" were going to crap on "The Toffees" so I took the opposite view.

Needless to say I was getting some grief when we went behind but I was bouncing off the walls when the comeback was complete, and the rest is history...........

The family were all reds, and although I 'followed' that scum at a young age. The depature of Rooney and complete and utter passion (or hate?) that I was exposed to drew me to the mighty blues. Oh and my man crush on Tim Cahill may have a large factor LOL !

:gay: (thats for once supporting the R/S not for your "man crush"). At least you eventually saw sense.

Its easy to understand "why Everton" for those of us who are 'born blue' but I find it very interesting to hear from people that are not from Liverpool or with a blue family history why they chose to support Everton.

Keep 'em coming.

I became a blue because I loved Everton. I was born to a family of blue's (apart from my grandad who is red) and always liked the banter that used to go on with Everton and Liverpool. I went to see us in action against Wimbledon 1999 (I think) and we won 4-0, it was a special day because we had won by so many goals and I had been to my first ever football match. My dad used to let me wear his Everton shirt which came down to my knees and I'm sure if I can put my mind to it some memories of 95' shine through.

I could have gone like most people and supported Manchester United or Liverpool but there was something about Everton that made me support them, I was chosen. I didn't have any influence from my family I just loved the way that we played, Duncan Ferguson was the first person that I looked up to.

Evertonians are Born Not Manufactured.

We do not Choose; We are Chosen.

Those who Understand Need No Explanation.

Those That Don't Understand Don't Matter.

Those four lines sum up for me too why I support Everton - It's a fantastic club and I can't imagine liking another the same, once your chosen your stuck.

My mum was a red and my dad was blue, and my mum put me in Liverpool kits (FUUUUUUUCK) when I was little so I was a red whether I liked it or not. Once I grew up a bit, got more sense, and my dads side of the family got a hold of me (pretty much all blues) there was no going back and I was a blue. The first sort of memory I have is of the FA Cup final in 1995. I was only really just getting into Everton properly and I made a scrap book of the occasion :) .

Real great thread here its really interesting to hear other peoples stories on this.

Well as you said you wanted more replies from people outside the city, being from Gloucestershire I can sort of help out. I'm not 100% sure of the exact details of why I came to support the worlds best club, I think it started when we used to visit my gran in Chester when I was a kid and we used to quite often go shopping etc in Liverpool this coincided with me just starting to get into football in general, I used to like going on these trips so decided to support one of the local teams. At the time (sometime in the 85-86 season) Liverpool were top of the league so I chose Everton, or was it Everton who chose me????

Looking back I wouldn't have it any other way, true I've had to put up with plenty of stick over the years being as I've only got to know about 10 fellow blues from my area since but I'm proud to be a blue plus I like being different

By the way does the fact that I became a blue when were competing for title make me look like a bit of a glory hunter?? Bear in mind I was only 6/7 years old

Real great thread here its really interesting to hear other peoples stories on this.

Well as you said you wanted more replies from people outside the city, being from Gloucestershire I can sort of help out. I'm not 100% sure of the exact details of why I came to support the worlds best club, I think it started when we used to visit my gran in Chester when I was a kid and we used to quite often go shopping etc in Liverpool this coincided with me just starting to get into football in general, I used to like going on these trips so decided to support one of the local teams. At the time (sometime in the 85-86 season) Liverpool were top of the league so I chose Everton, or was it Everton who chose me????

Looking back I wouldn't have it any other way, true I've had to put up with plenty of stick over the years being as I've only got to know about 10 fellow blues from my area since but I'm proud to be a blue plus I like being different

By the way does the fact that I became a blue when were competing for title make me look like a bit of a glory hunter?? Bear in mind I was only 6/7 years old

No it dosen't, if you were a glory hunter then you would have moved onto teams like Manchester United & Chelsea when they had their prime. The most of the United fanbase is gloryhunters that just support them because of their global success. I know there are some genuine fans but there are people I know who are 'fans' and don't even know the words to the songs.

after the ManU game at home this season.. went on the internet looking for a place to talk about that game seeing how it was such a good one.. from google, stumbled onto ToffeeTalk.com.. started watching all the Everton games and immediately checking in here afterward to see what everyone thought about the game.. so I guess TT is mainly why I became a Blue.

I guess you'd call it the nerd-way :nerd:

:D .

My dad was born in Northern Ireland and came over here in the early 1930's. He was a Rangers supporter and therefore followed the team in Blue. He even went to the 1933 FA Cup final, where his idol Dixie netted in a 3-0 win against Man City. It was obvious when I came along in the early 1960's I was going to be a Blue. On the night I was born, my dad was being such a pest to my mum and the midwife that they packed him off to the match, where Fred Pickering scored the only goal in a 1-0 win against Forest, surprisingly I wasn't christened Fred.

My first game was in 1968 where we thrashed Leicester 7-1, complete with Shilton in goal. The day was complete when my dad got his tanner yankee up and I found a ten bob note on the Upper Bullens floor. I got my first season ticket for the paddock when I was 11 and with my birthday being in August, I got my birthday wish for my renewal until I was old enough to provide for myself and for that I am eternally grateful to my mum and dad. I am still a season ticket holder today while my dad watches from the comfort of his armchair but he is still as passionate as ever, well into his 80's. I even had to marry a Blue and thankfully she is Blue through and through as well. For us supporting the Blues means lots of things but these 4 word say it all.............."Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

Don't remember exactly how it happened. 1966 (when I was six) passed me by completely but by the '68 final I was hooked. Born in Middlesex and brought up in Surrey by a Spurs supporting dad so there's no line there, my big brother was a red (he bought a Liverpool rosette at the Ideal Home Exhibition because he liked the look of it) so maybe it was just a subconscious decision to go against him, but I can't say for sure.....but I know how I felt when Jeff Astle scored :crying_anim: .

My lad, Josh, had no choice in it. He was christened "Neville" by a mate while he was still in his mum's womb (after Southall, not Phil :lol: ).

I'm at least a 4th generation Evertonian - we've traced it back as far as my great - grandfather who died in the 1920's. I'm hoping there were a couple of generations before him so I can say we've been there from the start! My first game was vs Luton Town for my, my grandad's (and neville southall's) birthday - we lost!

It's quality talking about this subject - especially having lived in west.mids all my life as when I meet fellow blues I want to know why. This was the case a few years back with the lads I now have a season ticket with... 1 supports them because his dad tried to get him into villa but the first match his dad took him to everton beat villa so he made the wise choice! The other lad supports everton simply because he liked the boot bag he bought 20years ago - he's been a season ticket holder for the last 12! - his sister chose the man.utd boot bag!

As an 8 year old in 1969, and living in Norfolk, I was a football mad kid who didn't really support anyone.My 10 year old brother picked up on Everton winning the league that year, suddenly they were his team.I checked out my football sticker books and decided they were for me too!The next season Everton were rubbish, brother left for the liverpool......ME, I was hooked for life!

A mate got me a ticket for my first match away at Norwich.....in the River end (home fans), stood there with my Blue and white scarfe and police protection!Listening to the traveling Blue's singing down the other end, never will forget my first taste of Everton and their fans!!Everton aren't in my blood, they are my blood.

Still got paper cuttings from the 70's, Andy King signing from Luton, Latcfords 30 goals etc!

Pain and pleasure in equal measure.......nar! probably a bit more pain in truth, but I wouldn't swap one single second of supporting Everton.

Son's a Blue and daughter's a kinda pinky/Blue

My Nan is a big Red and she still talks football with me everytime I see her. She still gets the Echo too. She's originally from Stanley Rd, but she's lived in North Wales since the 50's. All that side of the family(mother's) are huge Reds (my father's side aren't really footie fans).

I remember when I was a kid, there used to be big arguments between that side of my family and my uncle(mother's bro-in-law - A Manc), about who I was gonna support. I didn't really have a clue, but to keep the peace, I'd tell my Nan, I was a red, and my uncle that I was a manc (the latter, mainly cos he took me to a few games at OT). I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, and didn't really know what was what.

As I got a bit older, and started thinking for myself, I always found myself looking out for how Everton were doing. I think I supported them before, but I knew for sure I was an Evertonian after the '95 cup final. That for me was the point where I knew without any doubt that I could never support another team, that my blood was blue.

Incidentally, I never had the heart to tell my Nan that I was actually a blue. For years I'd put a grimace on my face, disguised as a smile, as she went on about Gerrard, and Rafa, and oh! the pain... I'd swiftly try to change to subject or get the sudden weakness of bladder. It was only last Christmas that I finally broke the news to her. She actually took it a lot better than I thought. :)

I get asked that question occasionally, since I'm of course not from the UK, and most people over here only know the Big Four if they know any Premier League teams at all. For me, it all started with a short story.

Back around 2003-04, I got a plot idea that I liked, so I started expanding on it, and creating my characters. One of them was to be a little girl, about five years old in the beginning of the story (growing up later), and a key scene involving her as a young child was to take place at a football game. I had already decided early on that her family were going to be Scousers, and now I needed to decide which team they were going to support. So I started doing my research, quickly narrowing the choices to Liverpool or Everton. And the more I delved into it, the more I came to like Everton the better of the two, so I eventually made the decision that my characters were going to like Everton too.

That was what first put Everton on my radar screen, as it were. I'd been kind of following the sport "from a distance" up to that point, particularly the Belgian league going all the way back to when I was in college, but that was basically just tracking the scoreboards and standings on the web; it wasn't watching games on TV, because I had no access to any domestic club games on TV from any of the European countries, just the World Cup whenever it came around. That finally changed the season after I wrote my short story, which coincidentally was the season that Everton finished fourth. That season I gained access to televised Premier League games for the first time, so I started checking the listings to see when Everton would be on, because I was still curious to learn even more about this team that I had made part of my characters' lives. And the more games I watched, and the more I saw this scrappy and resilient bunch of players fighting it out week after week, going toe-to-toe with wealthy, privileged Liverpool for that Champions League spot, the more hooked I got.

Edited by JD in DC

I get asked that question occasionally, since I'm of course not from the UK, and most people over here only know the Big Four if they know any Premier League teams at all. For me, it all started with a short story.

Back around 2003-04, I got a plot idea that I liked, so I started expanding on it, and creating my characters. One of them was to be a little girl, about five years old in the beginning of the story (growing up later), and a key scene involving her as a young child was to take place at a football game. I had already decided early on that her family were going to be Scousers, and now I needed to decide which team they were going to support. So I started doing my research, quickly narrowing the choices to Liverpool or Everton. And the more I delved into it, the more I came to like Everton the better of the two, so I eventually made the decision that my characters were going to like Everton too.

That was what first put Everton on my radar screen, as it were. I'd been kind of following the sport "from a distance" up to that point, particularly the Belgian league going all the way back to when I was in college, but that was basically just tracking the scoreboards and standings on the web; it wasn't watching games on TV, because I had no access to any domestic club games on TV from any of the European countries, just the World Cup whenever it came around. That finally changed the season after I wrote my short story, which coincidentally was the season that Everton finished fourth. That season I gained access to televised Premier League games for the first time, so I started checking the listings to see when Everton would be on, because I was still curious to learn even more about this team that I had made part of my characters' lives. And the more games I watched, and the more I saw this scrappy and resilient bunch of players fighting it out week after week, going toe-to-toe with wealthy, privileged Liverpool for that Champions League spot, the more hooked I got.

very interesting . hope you don't mind me asking follow up questions..

1/ "particulary the Belgian league" .. why? how is it related to your college-years?

2/ are you a writer? anything we might be able to read?