IGNORED

Why Did You Become A Blue?

very interesting . hope you don't mind me asking follow up questions..

1/ "particulary the Belgian league" .. why? how is it related to your college-years?

2/ are you a writer? anything we might be able to read?

1 - I had a particular interest in the country at that time. I'd visited there a few years previously and really enjoyed it; felt at home there and quite welcomed by the locals (as opposed to, say, Paris, but that's another story). How it relates to college is that my friend's roommate in my first year there was an absolute freak for the sport - completely obsessed. I had enough talks with him about it to get my own curiosity up, knowing next-to-nothing about it at that point, so I started looking for stuff online. There wasn't much, because it was still the early days of the web and comprehensive sites like Soccernet didn't exist yet, but one of the sites I did find was some fan of the Belgian League and Belgian national team who was doing his own web page (in English!) with news updates and scores and standings. And since I was still into all things Belgian, I bookmarked it and kept coming back to read it.

2 - Only as a hobby. I used to supplement my income by doing some freelance sportswriting, but that was a long time ago, and I've never had any original fiction published anywhere.

The majority of my family are stupid, and support the shite, and obviously tried to force their views on me aswell. I didn't really have much of interest in football when I was a young kid because I wasn't really encouraged into sport (funny now, because I'm a PE teacher).

I can remember the exact moment when I became a blue.

Liverpool v Roma 1984 European cup..... Grobelaar wobbling up and down the line... and a 5 year old me turned around to my red family and said the immortal words..... 'He's stupid..... I'm never ever supporting these '

And do you know what... I never did!

Although Im from South West and Live in Sussex - Im still a blue through and through in spirit!

I was born on 28th Oct 1978 - The day Andy King scored the winner against the Red Shite...100 years from when we were formed - Coincidence! started supporting them from the 1986 cup final as I prefered the Blue kit to the Red and Gary Lineker was my hero at the time, before Mexico '86....Ah, to be 7 again!

The majority of my family are stupid, and support the shite, and obviously tried to force their views on me aswell. I didn't really have much of interest in football when I was a young kid because I wasn't really encouraged into sport (funny now, because I'm a PE teacher).

I can remember the exact moment when I became a blue.

Liverpool v Roma 1984 European cup..... Grobelaar wobbling up and down the line... and a 5 year old me turned around to my red family and said the immortal words..... 'He's stupid..... I'm never ever supporting these '

And do you know what... I never did!

Haha! Funny as :)

Edited by StevO

Well I'm an Aussie and I think I've got much different reasons for chosing to support Everton than others on here.

I've always loved football and only got to play it at school when I was younger. We didn't have a 'professional' football competition here until 05/06 and we never used to have that much coverage of the EPL and the other top leagues. So it wasn't until 2004, when I was 17 that I decided I needed to start following football more actively and that I needed to pick an EPL side.

I thought about my decision pretty thoroughly and ended up with Everton. I chose them for four main reasons:

- They have one of the most consistent top tier historys in England, i.e. they're not likely to be yoyo-ing between divisions and they're likely to stay in the Premiership.

- I'm a big fan of rivalries and derbies, and what better derby than the Merseyside?

- I'm also a big fan of underdogs. And, with a lot of people I know supporting Liverpool, I decided to go against the grain and support the Toffees.

- While everyone here in Australia back then was signing the praises of Harry Kewell, I was starting to notice Tim Cahill a lot more towards the end of 2004. I always had the feeling he would be big and I knew it would be important to follow a side with an Aussie player as the media coverage for that side would be much more comprehensive here in Aus. therefore, having Timmy in the side has made it easier to follow Everton.

If I could go back to 2004 and choose all over again, there's no way i would choose any other side but Everton. Being the 'underdog' side on Merseyside means that we Toffees supporters are more passionate and can appreciate success much more than Liverpool supporters, or supporters of any other EPL side.

The passion Everton supporters have is so strong that I can feel it thousands of kilometres away here in Melbourne, Australia.

Edited by Jesse_Wray

Why did I become a blue?

Because they are playing Manchester United in the FA Cup Semi Final.

I'll probably be the type of fan that boos my own team mind. ;)

Having said that, I could so easily be a blue. My Gran's an Evertonian (to annoy the rest of the family who are reds) and tried to bring them up as such with much bickering with Grandad (or Nain and Taid as they are Welsh).

One one famous occasion (The 1971 Cup Final) my Dad (in his teens) and all his brothers were crying because of Charlie George turning the game round. My gran comes in and howls with laughter. Talk about being a supportive mother!

My Dad made sure my Mother was educated proper when they brought me up!

Edited by Scottish Red

Guest efctaxi
Why did I become a blue?

Because they are playing Manchester United in the FA Cup Semi Final.

I'll probably be the type of fan that boos my own team mind. ;)

Having said that, I could so easily be a blue. My Gran's an Evertonian (to annoy the rest of the family who are reds) and tried to bring them up as such with much bickering with Grandad (or Nain and Taid as they are Welsh).

One one famous occasion (The 1971 Cup Final) my Dad (in his teens) and all his brothers were crying because of Charlie George turning the game round. My gran comes in and howls with laughter. Talk about being a supportive mother!

My Dad made sure my Mother was educated proper when they brought me up!

:lol:

I was so close the other day to finally getting my daughter to see the blue light :)

Had to buy her some stuff for a school trip , and there were some Everton shirts for about £13 in JJB . I didn't have too much money on me , but would have coughed up the readies when she told me thaty she was no longer a Liverpool fan .

Eurika I thought , untill she declared that she was now a United fan :angry::lol:

A short historical lecture later , we left the shop with a few outdoor bits , and a hope in my heart that I was now one step closer to converting the little brat my beautiful daughter into becoming a true blue :lol: