IGNORED

Europa Assured?

MikeO

Surprised no-one's pointed this out yet but Arsenal beating Hull the other night has made it 99.9% certain that seventh place will get a Europa Cup spot. Even if we were to fall apart completely I can't see us getting overtaken by two clubs.

Still need to look upwards for me but that's an extra bit of insurance in case things go wrong.

..with them odds I wish you were by bookie

What odds? I didn't give any :huh: .

Out of interest though you can get 1/29 on us finishing top six, so as far as the bookies are concerned it's pretty much a certainty. We're also about 2/1 to get fifth and 10/1 to make the top four.

Has it been agreed with uefa that down to 7th gets into the europa cup?

Ive not heard anything on this yet

Fifth place plus Carling and FA Cup winners qualfy. If both cup winners qualify for Europe via the league the places go to the next placed teams.

The only way it could conceivably not go to seventh would be if we won it and finished eighth or lower :) .

It's fact, don't know whether UEFA have to agree it or whether it's the FA's choice, whatever way it's a done deal.

Their concession to making it "tougher" to qualify was to take away the berth that the FA Cup runner-up used to get if the winner qualified for Champions League. Now if that happens it simply goes to the next-highest team in the standings, like the Carling Cup berth does. So a team like Millwall can no longer make it to Europe merely by virtue of losing the FA Cup Final to one of the Big Four - if they want to go to Europe now they would either have to win the trophy outright or else get themselves back into the Premiership and then finish high enough in the standings.

Do Man City qualify if they win the Uefa?

Incredibly tough to pick a winner from the last eight, the bookies don't know either, every team's between 4/1 and 8/1. City would have to be rank outsiders for me given the opposition..very lucky to be there at all after last night.

Udinese (Ita)

Hamburg (Ger)

Werder Bremen (Ger)

Marseille (Fra)

Paris Saint Germain (Fra)

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr)

Dynamo Kiev (Ukr)

Gianfranco Zola reckons West Ham need 52 points to get into the Europa (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ers-Europe.html) which means by his reckoning we need another five points from the rest of the season for sixth.

I don't know what the fixtures are for the next set of UEFA Cup games but from the list that is what I would guess. Marselle and PSG are good teams that will look like good title contenders, Bremen seem to be doing well for themselves too. Those three teams will have good chances of silverware this year round. The dark horses are Udinese, not as good on paper as the three just mentioned but they do have that Italian skill that's always a bonus, woulden't be too surprised if they progressed.

Kiev, Donesk & City are those who are lucky to be still in. Can't see them winning - especially Manchester City after their abismal Premier League season.

Title Contenders

Marselle

PSG

Werden Bremen

Dark Horses

Udinese

Can't See Getting Much Further

Shakhtar

Kiev

Manchester City