IGNORED

Kirkby Is Off!? News Of The World Article

Louis

That is a strange article indeed followed by all the usual biased comments depending on your viewpoint including the snide comments from RS fans confirming the true meaning of the onions (that arrogant pompous toss pot)'small club' statement.

What most people have forgotten in all of this is the historic fact that Kirkby used to be the site of a huge ammunitions camp. That camp and hundreds of surrounding acres was acquired to build houses after the war to accommodate scousers, their traditional homes being bulldozed away as slums and bomb sites were cleared in the city centre. The acquisition was made by Liverpool City council, the same people who try and run the argument that we will move outside the city, hypocrasy or what??

Im rather lost on this argument to be honest, im from Huyton so im not a scouser? Is Alan Stubbs not a scouser? I drive for a livin and have never heard anyone say Knowsley they say theyre goin to Liverpool! Also wot have Liverpool council done for us apart from declining OUR APPLICATION to build on Stanley pk sayin it would NEVER BE BUILT ON! I love Goodison and always will but i love the club more and if Kirkbys the best option the i say go for it!

Also wot have Liverpool council done for us apart from declining OUR APPLICATION to build on Stanley pk sayin it would NEVER BE BUILT ON! I love Goodison and always will but i love the club more and if Kirkbys the best option the i say go for it!

ive voiced my opinions a thousand times, so i wont on this occasion.

but i must make one point. EVERTON NEVER APPLIED TO BUILD ON STANLEY PARK!

only in informal conversations, never ever did EFC submit any form of planning application for Stanley park. the most they have ever applied for on the park was Peter Johnson formally asked if they could move Walton Lane onto the park to extend the foot print of the ground when he wanted to rebuild, as the plans never got off the ground it never got much further.

Edited by StevO

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Elstone has dismissed renewed calls from City Council leader Warren Bradley for further discussion over a shared stadium with neighbours Liverpool.

Cllr Bradley believes the city’s efforts to be part of England’s bid to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 will benefit from the Merseyside clubs joining forces to build one new stadium.

Elstone reckons it is a “transparent” attempt to put pressure on Everton’s planned move to Kirkby while insisting sharing the proposed new stadium on Stanley Park “is not an option”.

“To me it’s about clutching at straws,” he said. “It’s about anything but Kirkby. Twelve months ago it was all about the Loop, six months ago it was about the redevelopment of Goodison.

“We knock the Loop over, we knock the redevelopment of Goodison over, so the next straw to clutch is the shared stadium.

“It’s a very transparent strategy, if you were generous enough to call it a strategy. It’s all about keeping Everton out of Kirkby and not about progress for this football club.

“The people who don’t want Kirkby are just intent on throwing anything on to the table that can try and deflect us from what I believe is a very strong proposition.

“The reality is that the proposed stadium on Stanley Park to my knowledge is going to cost in excess of £400million. If Liverpool Football Club came to us and said ‘we’d like a 50-50 partnership, you need to find £200m’, this football club couldn’t find that.

“We’ve been asked to find £78m for Kirkby, which will be challenging but we believe it’s deliverable. To find a further £122m to go into a shared stadium is not an option.”

Elstone added: “As far as I can see, a shared stadium is not deliverable. The people who don’t want us to go to Kirkby are shying from one key word which is deliverability, within which I’d mention affordability.

“Kirkby’s costing and funding strategies are not set in stone but they are sufficiently solid to give the club confidence that it can deliver it. None of the others have any solidity.

“I suspect many of those against the Kirkby move wouldn’t have a problem if it was a few hundred metres over the city boundary, which to me underlines the flimsiness of their case. How can a few hundred metres mean so much?”

We go around in circles discussing it - people have differing opinions..

Without going into the nitty gritty, the retail park car park is considered out of bounds for football fans and there is a no parking zone around the stadium for around 1 mile. There is 1,000 spaces for corporate fans. Knowsley Council have said schools can't be used for parking. The club expect more cars at Kirkby than at Goodison. On top of that 160+ buses are needed and Trains services to Kirkby will be at full capacity.

I'd agree that there are people are against it simply because it's not within the city boundary. Personally.. I'm not too bothered about that, but the backlash would have been more severe had Tesco and Everton chose Birkenhead as a suitable area despite being a similar distance away.

Whether it's a flimsy excuse or not is debatable, the club's local authority has differing importance from person to person. Knowsley Council have said they want to brand Everton as the football club of Knowsley, some will see that as wanting to remove the Liverpool element of the club or bastardising the brand.

Knowsley Council see it as an opportunity to promote the Knowsley brand because people from other parts of the country don't know it exists.

I think Elstone is being mischievous with the "few hundred metres" quote, the distance from the stadium site to the council border is not the problem, it's the distance from the city centre. I've seen people bring up Old Trafford as an example of a team being located in a neighbouring authority but it's only 2 miles from Manchester city centre, Kirkby is around 3 times further away. I know people who are equally opposed to sites in Speke and Croxteth for logistical reasons.