IGNORED

Would You Enjoy It If We Were Like Man U Or Man City?

I was thinking this morning I love supporting everton because we are a growing club and because we are eternal underdogs who suceed even in adversity. I also love us because our players are not all superstars and we have a maneger that turns good players in to very good players. I love that we come up against Chelsea's moneybags and are able to come close to beating them. I am not sure if we won the league every year or if we had Man city's money I would enjoy being a fan as much.

Whats your thoughts

Money isn't everything.

Money brings in lots of big name players but each with a matching big ego that does nothing for "spirit" or "ethos" of a team (think of Man City Robinho saga). I would like us to have more available money but not so we are richest club in the UK or anything, I just think it would bring too many negatives. (sounds mad when I am essentially saying "I want money but not too much of it" lol)

Money isn't everything.

Money brings in lots of big name players but each with a matching big ego that does nothing for "spirit" or "ethos" of a team (think of Man City Robinho saga). I would like us to have more available money but not so we are richest club in the UK or anything, I just think it would bring too many negatives. (sounds mad when I am essentially saying "I want money but not too much of it" lol)

That's pretty much my view on it too. I want us to have more money than we currently do, but I wouldn't want so much money that it felt like we'd have success handed to us on a plate. There's no sense of achievement there.

I was thinking this morning I love supporting everton because we are a growing club and because we are eternal underdogs who suceed even in adversity. I also love us because our players are not all superstars and we have a maneger that turns good players in to very good players. I love that we come up against Chelsea's moneybags and are able to come close to beating them. I am not sure if we won the league every year or if we had Man city's money I would enjoy being a fan as much.

Whats your thoughts

Eternal underdogs??. I assume you are young and dont recall the 80's. Even in the 70's when we werent successful we were always one of the favourites to win this or that.

We are one of the most succesful clubs in England. Eternal underdogs my arse. :P

I'd like us to have a bit more money to compete a bit more with the established 'top 4' and not be limited to one £15m signing every summer but if it was a choice between having Man City's money or staying as we are now then it's a no-brainer really at least no we've got a soul and spirit as noone ever seems to expect us to be competing. Plus I'd rather be the underdogs that neutrals want to do well than the stupidly rich ones they want to see fail.

I pretty much agree with all this. What I never get is how clubs like villa/Spurs/Newcastle always spend more money than us but seem to have the same income size etc.

Wealthier ownership and (at least in Spurs' case) sponsorship deals that dwarf ours. I think Spurs shirt sponsorship with Mansion is worth 3 to 4 times what we get from Chang.

But no, I would not want us to be like Man City (throwing stupid money around and still sucking), or Man U (leveraged to the hilt and in serious trouble if the owners ever got called in). I wouldn't mind if we were more like Arsenal, though, meaning a team that is rich enough to pay the elite players those 80-100k a week salaries they want and make a big transfer to improve a key position when necessary, but that doesn't have unlimited resources and seems to make building from within and retaining the talent they develop their first priority. That's already what we kind of try to do anyway, just on a lower-budget scale. The new stadium would be nice, too!