IGNORED

ToffeeTalk: How can it improve?

Louis

Can it improve or should it improve is more to the point Louis. You could follow the likes of GOT and have it all bells, polish and pomp, you could try and do a Toffeeweb and have everyone hate the place, you could make it friendly to only KEIOC or you could just tweak it every so often and let it run its natural course. What I like about this place is the fact its easy to use, most on here are a good crowd and we all seem to get along and it is moderated very very well indeed although on occasions I would argue postees from some other clubs get away with murder.

If pushed I would say no, it requires no major overhaul, its nice the way it is. I think our member base is expanding, the level of postings appear to be up so what is you want from the site other than what you have at present?

Can it improve or should it improve is more to the point Louis. You could follow the likes of GOT and have it all bells, polish and pomp, you could try and do a Toffeeweb and have everyone hate the place, you could make it friendly to only KEIOC or you could just tweak it every so often and let it run its natural course. What I like about this place is the fact its easy to use, most on here are a good crowd and we all seem to get along and it is moderated very very well indeed although on occasions I would argue postees from some other clubs get away with murder.

If pushed I would say no, it requires no major overhaul, its nice the way it is. I think our member base is expanding, the level of postings appear to be up so what is you want from the site other than what you have at present?

i second that.

Guest efctaxi

Everything can be improved Jim .

We have one of the friendliest football forums on the net , and it might be nice to offer our members the added benefit of a home page . You can add links , footage , news , competitions , sponsors etc etc , and depending on the admin panel can be as easy as abc to build .

Perhaps extend the ' view members posts ' facility to include more posts .

Have a standard avatar / signature size limit .

Have football related smilies ? 22_card-yellow.gif or 21_card-red.gif perhaps lol ? :lol:

Get the calendar up and running .

Search function more specific .

Limit Jimmy to one connection per year :D

Obviously only off the top of my head , and others might chime in with different ideas .

Love the forum to bits though .

Give me more information, please. The calendar is up and running and I occasionally (but very rarely) add milestones.

What's wrong with the search function?

Guest efctaxi
Give me more information, please. The calendar is up and running and I occasionally (but very rarely) add milestones.

What's wrong with the search function?

I think I've been using it incorrectly :)

Don't worry about it . It's Jimmys deviousness damaging my brain :lol:

Everything can be improved Jim .

We have one of the friendliest football forums on the net , and it might be nice to offer our members the added benefit of a home page . You can add links , footage , news , competitions , sponsors etc etc , and depending on the admin panel can be as easy as abc to build .

Perhaps extend the ' view members posts ' facility to include more posts .

Have a standard avatar / signature size limit .

Have football related smilies ? 22_card-yellow.gif or 21_card-red.gif perhaps lol ? :lol:

Limit Jimmy to one connection per year :D

Obviously only off the top of my head , and others might chime in with different ideas .

Love the forum to bits though .

As I said tweak it but no major overhaul. :D

By the way sweetheart you'll miss me next week, all the others hate you :P:P

I like the site pretty much as it is to be honest.

Iggy, if he is around used to run a very similar one where I was a regular. (As did Rafa Beneathus) So I feel right at home here. Honest opinions easily expressed, friendly banter and informed interests make the place pretty good.

Incidentally, a link appeared once on that site of Iggy's which I followed to a Spurs site. (Just out of curiousity) I still visit there, they have treated me very well indeed concidering I was totally open about being a Toffee... (for a while I was even on the list of staff there, although I felt it was not right for me to be so, and I relinquished the position.)

Anyway, that site is set up a little differently, so Louis, if you want to take a peek and perhaps look for some ideas the link is:

http://s11.zetaboards.com/Spurs101/index/

If you do take a look, please be as nice to them as they have been to me. (They have an anti swear word auto censor too, a good idea if kids look at the site)

I don't recommend that you register and become a regular there however. That is a decision totally up to you. But you may get a few good ideas by reading about the place a little bit.

While doing the Talking To The Enemy section I have been going onto many many different fan forums so I have a good idea of what is out there. And honestly, a lot are pretty dire. Navigation is almost impossible to use for most, sign up is a hassle, full of stupid little kids. I love this site because its intelligent and simple at the same time. The naviagtion around the site is easy and the content is of a fairly high standard.

Alot of the sites run the "gold" system, where members collect "gold" for the amount of posts they make and then can use that gold to bet on games. While this may seem an ok idea what actually seems to happen is that many people just post complete crap to boost there post numbers, there are vast amounts of posts which are purely smilleys. This is one route I would not be so keen to see TT take.

The only thing I could suggest would maybe putting links to goals on the site. Not sure if this is possible. www.allfootballgoals.com is a good one, and I think it gives you an embed code for the goals.

Other than that I like the site how it is really. I think after seeing many other designs of sites this one works the best, we have healthy numbers at the moment. I suppose its just in the summer when we dont play that it will get alot quieter...

While doing the Talking To The Enemy section I have been going onto many many different fan forums so I have a good idea of what is out there. And honestly, a lot are pretty dire. Navigation is almost impossible to use for most, sign up is a hassle, full of stupid little kids. I love this site because its intelligent and simple at the same time. The naviagtion around the site is easy and the content is of a fairly high standard.

Alot of the sites run the "gold" system, where members collect "gold" for the amount of posts they make and then can use that gold to bet on games. While this may seem an ok idea what actually seems to happen is that many people just post complete crap to boost there post numbers, there are vast amounts of posts which are purely smilleys. This is one route I would not be so keen to see TT take.

The only thing I could suggest would maybe putting links to goals on the site. Not sure if this is possible. www.allfootballgoals.com is a good one, and I think it gives you an embed code for the goals.

Other than that I like the site how it is really. I think after seeing many other designs of sites this one works the best, we have healthy numbers at the moment. I suppose its just in the summer when we dont play that it will get alot quieter...

Spot on...........

We (admin and mods) talked about this months ago in the staff room, my feelings now are the same as they were then ...

we have light grey, we have grey, we have dark grey, and we have a bluey grey, it looks so boring.

It could do with a make-over to add a bit of colour, not a lot but it needs a lift. Just turning the white lines of the table gold makes a hell of a difference and maybe a proper blue for the topic headers.

Nothing wrong with the layout and how it functions, just a bit of colour please. :)

i dont think we have a problem with the forum.

could be brighter maybe.

but compared to this place a couple of years back, its on its knees. used to be choc-a-bloc here, we lost a lot of good members over the last two years or so.

i think natural progression is a dedicated home page and the forum just being a section of a wider toffeetalk website.

From someone who normally just passes by, I like how easy it is to use toffeetalk. Maybe you could make the logo a banner with some action photo shots of current Everton players? More Blues colors?

Not sure if this would get you all in trouble, but maybe a link to all of the goals and a link to all of the sites that stream Everton games?

Hope this helps.

-GMorrison183

but compared to this place a couple of years back, its on its knees. used to be choc-a-bloc here, we lost a lot of good members over the last two years or so.

Think you will find that's happening just about everywhere at the moment though Ste.

New forums pop up all the time, and people change jobs/leave education etc and can't access the web as easily as they might have done in the past.

Others just kind of fade away after a period of time too, it's a kind of natural wastage but I personally like this forum as it stands.

I think the site generally looks ok but maybe could use a bit more colour

Maybe as suggested by StevO a Toffeetalk website with the forum being part of that....maybe going along the lines of an unofficial fan site or something....

crystal palace have a good fan site.....holmesdale.net or something... ive used their forum its set up not to different from this.....

maybe more member profile info

Edited by DangerMouse

I'm only a very casual poster on here but how about a homepage that could have links not only to the forum menu but also to the main topcs of interested posted. Toffeeweb has a good homepage with links to articles, perhaps the 'articles' on here could be actual forum posts. Perhaps it could be an official forum for a different website?

The actual forum here is ok, there does seem a lot of forums though ones for a narrow subject matter, perhaps have less forums and this will increase the frequency of threads on the main forums so I'd come back more to catch up.

Guest efctaxi
As I said tweak it but no major overhaul. :D

By the way sweetheart you'll miss me next week, all the others hate you :P:P

I'll just hate them right back untill you return . Besides , I'm bigger than them :P

When you get back , the forum will be black , as well as blue :lol:

Would this make a difference, i saw it on another footy forum and its free. I think its worth looking at.

download: http://forfootball.ourtoolbar.com/

This is our new toolbar developed just for football fans, it's completely free to use and provides you with everything football related you could possibly need, right in your browser.

The advantage of having all this content contained within a toolbar is not only is it easier to access, but everything opens up within a "module" which sits on top of the page you are viewing so you can continue to browse while you watch live football or play a game - each module can be minimised or closed too.

The main features are as follows.

Sopcast player: Watch live football with the sopcast player built right in to the toolbar.

Soccer saturday scores centre: load up all the latest footy scores and updates at the click of a button.

Football News: All the latest news headlines from some of the biggest sports sites all accessible at the click of a button, this also contains a list of random threads from forumforfootball.

Football links: Links to various football news websites, stats sites, and ground guides etc.

Gadgets: the gadgets module is filled with applications and games, including a live video stream to sky sports soccer saturday, youtube top videos, facebook mini app, google maps, del.icio.us bookmarks, games, plus much more.

Xpert 11: This module contains live league standings for both your xpert 11 leagues.

radio player: contains live radio streams for 5 live, talksport etc plus loads of podcasts - you can also add your own stations and podcasts.

Mail notifier: Add all your hotmail, yahoo mail, gmail, and POP3 email addresses in to the mail notifier and it will instantly alert you every time you receive a new email as you browse.

chat box: chat with other users of the toolbar in the built in chat box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The toolbar is completely customizable so you can remove anything you don't want and add things you do.

if its on a toolbar it will be from an outside source, not TT, that would not be a problem. we just cant have anythin with live games thats hosted on TT.

that does sound a good tool bill, i dont think its something i'd use, but i think it would be very popular.

Have used another forum whereby if you hover your mouse over a topic heading, it reveals the first few lines of that post. This is quite useful as often the topic heading can be misleading and you can end up clicking on a post that doesnt really interest you afterall.

If this is already in place maybe i'm doin something wrong cos it doesnt work for me.