IGNORED

Attractive

For the last few seasons, the club through DM and BK generally seem to make conflicting noises. We're skint, but don't worry, the players who eventually end up at Spurs, Aston Villa, etc may well have signed for us if we had the cash. Very comforting. I suppose its the same at other clubs, but I think the policy of say nothing and keep saying it is the best one as far as finances or transfer policy goes. We'll sign players, we always do - but I was reading yesterday that DM and BK would be sitting down this week to discuss what's available. Couldn't that have been done already surely? I'm not expecting miracles but at the very least I hope the targets within whatever budget we have are already earmarked and we do our business in July.

Guest efctaxi

The term ' Top players ' is hugely overrated .

The term ' Top team ' however is not .

We don't need to spend £30million plus on every player . What we need to do is find players that are capable of achieving the status of ' top player ' before they hit the limelight .

We might get them for £500,000 or we might get them for £5 million , but they are out there for sure .

What is important is that they fill our needs and move us forward .

The term ' Top players ' is hugely overrated .

The term ' Top team ' however is not .

We don't need to spend £30million plus on every player . What we need to do is find players that are capable of achieving the status of ' top player ' before they hit the limelight .

We might get them for £500,000 or we might get them for £5 million , but they are out there for sure .

What is important is that they fill our needs and move us forward .

Steady Taxi!......I think you could have just typed the seasons most sencible post!!

We'll have a little less of that please :rolleyes:

Steady Taxi!......I think you could have just typed the seasons most sencible post!!

We'll have a little less of that please :rolleyes:

I'm sorry we do need to be spending that kind of money to get us to the next stage.

Yes we can unearth the occassional bargain like Arteta and Cahill but these are not world class players. They are good squad players. The type of players that will get you in the top 6.

But....we need the odd world class player to compete and to provide that spark.

Chelsea - Drogba, Essien, Lampard etc

Liverpool - Torres, Gerrard

Man U - Rooney, Ronaldo

Arsenal - Fabregas, Van Persie

See...all have at least 2 genuine world class players. We don't have one.

You need the absolute game breakers to make the next step up.

I'm sorry we do need to be spending that kind of money to get us to the next stage.

Yes we can unearth the occassional bargain like Arteta and Cahill but these are not world class players. They are good squad players. The type of players that will get you in the top 6.

But....we need the odd world class player to compete and to provide that spark.

Chelsea - Drogba, Essien, Lampard etc

Liverpool - Torres, Gerrard

Man U - Rooney, Ronaldo

Arsenal - Fabregas, Van Persie

See...all have at least 2 genuine world class players. We don't have one.

You need the absolute game breakers to make the next step up.

Agreed, but game breakers don't always have to come with a massive price tag. A big part of it is smart scouting and being ready to pounce on opportunities at the right time. For instance, you mentioned Fabregas. He signed with Arsenal from Barcelona on a free transfer at 16 because he didn't foresee much playing time at Barca in the near-future. Smart play by Arsenal - they saw an opening, swooped in and grabbed him. They also grabbed Van Persie on the cheap, for less than 3 million in 2004.

Similarly, Cristiano Ronaldo was picked up by Man U when he was only 18. They paid 12 million for him, which is not cheap, but still a bargain considering what he's become - it's less than what we paid for Fellaini. And if they'd been over-cautious and waited another year or two, he probably would've cost them twice as much, if they'd been able to get him at all.

Of course, the best superstars are the ones who come through your system, that you don't have to pay for at all. That's Gerrard with Liverpool, and John Terry with Chelsea. We had one of those with Rooney and had no choice but to let him go, but if we keep going the way we've been going, we'll have a much better chance of keeping hold of the next one.

If you count Van Persie as a world class player, then arteta is one to IMO

Ofcourse we need to spend more to compete for top 4/3, buit i wouldn't like us to be like Liverpool, by wich I mean buy 5 so called world class players every season, and ignore the youth players.

I've said this before, I think we need to focus on keeping our best players + 2 maybe 3 decent reinforcements (for about 5-6 each million each to put a price on it)

If you count Van Persie as a world class player, then arteta is one to IMO

Ofcourse we need to spend more to compete for top 4/3, buit i wouldn't like us to be like Liverpool, by wich I mean buy 5 so called world class players every season, and ignore the youth players.

I've said this before, I think we need to focus on keeping our best players + 2 maybe 3 decent reinforcements (for about 5-6 each million each to put a price on it)

yes I would ultimately prefer home grown players.

I think Vaughny still has massive potential.

So you would ultimately prefer home grown talent!......A few posts back you said, we need superstars, beter than Arteta and Cahill......

Do you want us to spend mega bucks and buy (possible) superstars, like you said.

Or do you want to wait another 10 years for a Rooney?

Seems your not really sure what you do want :rolleyes:

Guest efctaxi

Wasn't Lampard a West Ham kid before moving to Chelsea ?

Once they get to the big clubs , their prices soar .

The idea is to get them as soon as the potential is spotted .

Agreed, a fully fit James Vaughan, with an injury free season under his belt would be good to see.

Also i am all for the one big signing a season, its moving us forward slowly, but forward is the key. We have to accept at present times we cant go and blow big money on multiple signings until we get investment.

I agree one big signing a year and then a few to strengthen the squad this season i would like to see ledley - 6 mill, Naughton (Wolves RB) 4 mill and a 10 - 15 mill winger with some pace, this along with all our key players back will leave us with a decent squad to push on again this season, whilst i dont think it is good enough for a top 4 finish, it is better than last season so a cup final isnt off the cards and a top 6 finsish is also on the cards and we build again, it is the way Moyes has done things so far and 3 manager of the years to me, means he knows what he is doing.

So you would ultimately prefer home grown talent!......A few posts back you said, we need superstars, beter than Arteta and Cahill......

Do you want us to spend mega bucks and buy (possible) superstars, like you said.

Or do you want to wait another 10 years for a Rooney?

Seems your not really sure what you do want :rolleyes:

I would prefer home grown talent but I would argue that we aren't producing the type of player that will get us to the next level.

Vaughan and Rodwell are good but I don't think they are world beaters like messers Drogba, Ronaldo etc.

These type of players (superstars) we are going to have to buy in.

The Rooney's of this world only appear once every blue moon. Excuse the pun.

Wasn't it Arsenal that nearly brought Drogba for 500k the season before Chelsea paid that massive amount for him.

The main diffrence between us an the top 4 is that the top 4 not only have Strikers who get 20 odd a season but they also have 1 midfielder who gets over 20 goals a season, an right now we don't have that. Infact i don't think we have 1 midfield who has a decent shot from over 25 yards, like Liverpool,Chelsea an Utd do.

First off Everton need a striker that can play more then 3 games in a row without getting injured an can score, 2nd we need a top top creative midfielder( altho i think when Arteta plays in midfield we do have that).

finally it was in the English papers a few months back about Evertons home grown talent and aperantly we have a kid so good that they won't tell anyone his name as they don't want a Rooney repeat.

Wasn't it Arsenal that nearly brought Drogba for 500k the season before Chelsea paid that massive amount for him.

The main diffrence between us an the top 4 is that the top 4 not only have Strikers who get 20 odd a season but they also have 1 midfielder who gets over 20 goals a season, an right now we don't have that. Infact i don't think we have 1 midfield who has a decent shot from over 25 yards, like Liverpool,Chelsea an Utd do.

First off Everton need a striker that can play more then 3 games in a row without getting injured an can score, 2nd we need a top top creative midfielder( altho i think when Arteta plays in midfield we do have that).

finally it was in the English papers a few months back about Evertons home grown talent and aperantly we have a kid so good that they won't tell anyone his name as they don't want a Rooney repeat.

We have quite a few players in our youth system that are being talked about; Ross Barkley being one of the most promising.