IGNORED

Rodwell Scores For England U21

I would like to see some signings but TBH I would like to see Neville & Rodwell taking it in turns to play rather than play together.

would be great though if Rodwell is able to own that defensive midfield spot so Neville can perhaps play RB ... that would immediately fix 50% of our right flank problems.

who knows maybe fellaini can take up the role Moyes envisaged for him and share it with Rodwell.

how solid Neville played in that position in the middle of last season I still found him to be very strong at RB as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind the goal that Jack scored - go on to the Guardian's website and read their match report - they were waxing lyrical over the class and quality of his performance. On that article, his valuation has just increased by a couple of million...not that we should sell him for a minimum of 3 years if at all. This lad is the future of Everton..

Never mind the goal that Jack scored - go on to the Guardian's website and read their match report - they were waxing lyrical over the class and quality of his performance. On that article, his valuation has just increased by a couple of million...not that we should sell him for a minimum of 3 years if at all. This lad is the future of Everton..

Or read the important bit here :P .

Rodwell is only 18 and this was his full debut at this level but the imposing Everton midfielder stamped his class and authority all over the 90 minutes. His athleticism, precision of tackling and eye for an opening, suggested that Fabio Capello, the manager of the full England team, will surely track his progress over the course of the next season, in the countdown to the World Cup finals.

...an outstanding display by Jack Rodwell.

Even before his first-half goal, Rodwell’s class had been apparent, particularly when the smoke from the Germans’ flares dispersed and England had refused to choke after Gonzalo Castro’s surprise opener. Developing so promisingly under David Moyes at Everton, the Southport-born centre-half has primarily been used by his club in deep midfield, a role he assumed here as Pearce rang the changes.

Here was a test for England’s reserves and Rodwell led the fightback. Straight-backed and nimble, Rodwell got among Germany’s creative players, men like Mesut Ozil, the Werder Bremen attacker who has impressed in this tournament. Nicking the ball and using it well, Rodwell confirmed his potential, just as Kieran Gibbs has done in this tournament. No wonder Fabio Capello has been keeping tabs on the duo’s development.

Rodwell’s threat from set-pieces was noted early, the midfielder heading over from a Craig Gardner corner.

The eye kept being drawn back to the tall figure in England’s midfield, a footballer who played with his head, always looking for incoming danger, always checking for his team-mates’ movements for when he collected the ball. One tackle, sliding in to dispossess Marcel Schmelzer, was immense.

Just before the half-hour, Rodwell’s fine performance was rewarded with a goal. Germany clearly had not learned from the earlier warning. When Gardner swung over another corner, Rodwell glided ahead of Sami Khedira to head powerfully in.

The half continued to belong to England’s elegant No 15. Released to attack by Gardner’s defensive diligence, Rodwell charged 50 yards, rounding Howedes effortlessly before letting fly, the finish not matching the build-up and flying wide. Rodwell seemed everywhere, ending the half with an important headed clearance.

The final whistle brought no spot-kicks, but the surreal announcement of Johnson as man of the match, an honour that should have been Rodwell’s.

I am already in love with him.

I hope we keep him! He is one of those players who, when reaching full potential, can make the jump between 5th in the Premier League and 4th.

He is one of those players who shows the difference between himself and a boy.

He is one of those players who is always composed and never gives up.

He is very strong going forward, going backwards, and making challenges.

I'd be gutted if we sold him.

Edited by `Moe Joe.

I am already in love with him.

I hope we keep him! He is one of those players who, when reaching full potential, can make the jump between 5th in the Premier League and 4th.

He is one of those players who shows the difference between himself and a boy.

He is one of those players who is always composed and never gives up.

He is very strong going forward, going backwards, and making challenges.

I'd be gutted if we sold him.

After yday's plaudits and performance...so am i. I would argue that Rodders is our most valuable assett at present...he could be worth more that Rio did, based on his now versitility!