IGNORED

Rodwell

Which turned out to be an irrelevance to him making them totally interchangeable. They left under similar circumstances for similar reasons, their background doesn't change that.

We seen the best English raised player since Gazza come through the ranks whilst the club was being run like an elephants graveyard. He was one of our own, gritty, narky and would to an extent run the show, we had no one to do that. We watch him go and take the European championships by storm and hope that the £50k a week contract waiting for him was true and was waiting to be signed................... Then we bought Lescott who was good at £4m (Brum born and raised), not the best defender (Jags is)and we sold him for a similar price to the player that England will focus our World cup hopes on.....

The Rooney sale will always stick in my throat for all the reasons that I now know we aren't a major player anymore. This situation can not happen again, Rodwell may not have Rooney's match winning explosiveness, however he is what all the other clubs want, why sell him??? Lescott, I can deal with, no problem at all.

Reasons they left? Will we ever know?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£20 thousand :blink: Christ I'm sure thats not going to stop him going, its not even on a par with his teammates, God knows what the top clubs would offer him.

They offered Rooney £50.000 to try and keep him and that was over 5 years ago, I think they are trying it on with Jack, they should pay the lad a bit of respect or they definately will lose him.

20 grand is plenty for his age....give him to much and its possible he will lose his way...if the normal person could get that he would be over the moon....hes not in the same class as rooney...not yet.

Yeah I agree 20 grand a week is ample for a lad of his age and talent. He is far from the finished article just yet

He is sought after because of his potential and if he does start to fulfill that potential I am sure the board will be quick to reward him with another improved contract as and when that occurs

• 1 month later...

Well i'm sure Bill will use his brokering skills and get the best possible deal for the club. :huh:

This may be conjecture, but when will we be in the position to be able to laugh at bids for our players? We are a selling club, end of. Whilst being a sellng club we may as well get used to mid table mediocrity whie the top 4 continue to fight for the best players.

Investment is needed and quick, to update the stadium and create a corporate revenue stream, it may take someone who is prepared to put in a vast sum which we could self serve within a 5-6 plan which would evidently mean we would need to qualify for champions league within that time frame. Under a good manager 2-3 championms league campaigns would change the dynamics of the club, one of which would be we could retain our best talent and pay the market rate for the best players to want to remain at the club.

The sale of Rodwell can never be seen as good business, whether it is for £20m, £30m. Good business is having the club in a solid position where our best players are out on the pitch competing in a blue shirt, maximising match day revenue, and marketing the club in the right way.

the offer that i would compare with is Smalling. Played 2 games for Fulham, was in non league in 2008....£7m.

Rodwell played 35 times, scored important and very good goals in the Euefa Cup, has composure and technique past his age and is arguably one of the finest young talents in English football. value, who knows (Craccer anywhere) but its alot more than £7m!!

Are we a selling club.....only when the player asks to leave ?.

If Pienaar asks to leave we may have to sell.......same with Rodwell.Only because we don't want a player who's usettled.surely a SELLING club has to sell to survive, that's not us, is it.

Saha, it seems doesn't want to leave, so we didn't have to sell him.If he'd insisted on going, we would probably have had to let him go, does that make us a selling club.

If Torres suddenly decides he wants to go back to Spain, like Alonso....really wants to go back.....does that make liverpool a selling club ?....

Isn't every team a selling club, when a player wants to leave.

Are we a selling club.....only when the player asks to leave ?.

If Pienaar asks to leave we may have to sell.......same with Rodwell.Only because we don't want a player who's usettled.surely a SELLING club has to sell to survive, that's not us, is it.

Saha, it seems doesn't want to leave, so we didn't have to sell him.If he'd insisted on going, we would probably have had to let him go, does that make us a selling club.

If Torres suddenly decides he wants to go back to Spain, like Alonso....really wants to go back.....does that make liverpool a selling club ?....

Isn't every team a selling club, when a player wants to leave.

We are a selling club, because every time we have a player that another team wants, we end up selling them. The reason being is that our transfer budget is created by the sale of players. Liverpool historically have a good record of keeping their best players as they do not look at player sales as an important revenue stream, they look at qualifying for champs league. Alonso left because they tried to sell him the year before. Players usually want to leave when the current club can not match their ambitions financially or professionally, till we can do that, we will be a selling club. Sad but true. The sale of Rodwell will be another step to us being viewed in the same way that West Ham are. Imagine where they would be if they kept the ferdinands, carricks, coles, defoes, lampards....champs league every year with an ability to stand up against the top 4 financially.

Saha.

correct to an extent, the point i am making is that as soon as it is clear we are able to make good cash on a player we sell them. Saha was practically out of contract and able to call the shots, the sell on for saha was next to nothing. 1 million would have been a push. Saha is a class act, yet we shouldn't class our selves as a none selling club because we retained a 31 year old.

Don't you think possibly that other teams have wanted Cahill over the years (was going to be Carrick's replacement at Spurs apparently)? Arteta's been rumoured to be wanted elsewhere any number of times, Yobo has been linked with a move, Neville was reportedly wanted by Newcastle a couple of years back. They're all still around.

Not disputing the fact that we'll have to sell to buy big in the summer, along with (to an extent) everyone bar City and Chelsea.

To say that "..every time we have a player that another team wants, we end up selling them.." just isn't true.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Everton-slap-30m-price-tag-on-Manchester-United-target-Jack-Rodwell/5728/

Man U don't have that sort of money to spend on one player. Plus, I know the article says Ferguson wants to pair Rodwell with Smalling, but if he was really interested in Rodwell I reckon he'd have gone for Rodwell and not Smalling at all.

just paper talk lets be honest rodwell at this moment cant get in our side...although hes good hes not 30 million good...for me theres only one player going to fetch that sort of fee on recent form and thats fellaini.rodwell maybe in three years time will command that sort of fee.

I'm prepared to go with the expert opinion of him. 14 out of 20 premier league managers identified him as the young player set to take the league by storm. Before being over played and injured he was certainly playing better than most in an under performing team.

Speaking to an ex professional player, he saw Jack play when he was 13 and knew straight away he was going to be class, the reason being he is more two footed than any player he had seen at that age, his athleticism and brain combined make a very very good player. What we see at the moment is not what he is going to be, he still has time to fill out and he will get better and better. Having a player who can switch play using either foot from a central position is an awesome weapon, lampard and gerrard don't have the ability to do that in a natural way, albeit their right pegss are very strong.

I will be gutted to see another homegrown player of unknown potential leave the club.

damn right! I hate the way united and other top teams think they have the right to get steal our players. United can't afford rodwell which is good but even if they could Moyes should just reject every thing because he is the future. Im certain rodwell knows he's at the right club to take him forward. I also recon we can take 4th this year. But if not 4th, the we should be looking for 5th.

I agree with all the comments Rodders not being worth £30m now.. I think you have to look at potential, and that is where it is fingers in the air stuff. When we sold Rooney all my Pool supporting mates were saying " he ain't worth that... not done anything.." etc etc.. How much is he worth now? United in many respects got a steal with him, although.. you couldn't guarantee whether he would or wouldn't.

I think Rodwell is the same... he is such a talent, so composed, two footed, plays a number of positions, can score, pass, tackle head etc... all sounds like a normal footballer... thing is he makes it look easy!!! Will he continue to develop like Rooney, who I think is one of the best around at the moment (despite Sat) or will he got the way of Schumacher etc? Guys who were tipped and didn't do it?! Time will tell... but I agree with the comment, that if the top clubs what our top talent, they pay for it... and my thoughts are he is gonna be huge.... 14 out of 20 managers think he is the next big thing.... I would take that from the guys who know!!!!

The devil's advocate in me thinks:

Forgetting that United don't have the money; would we really turn down a 30M cash bid? I appreciate the stance, but I'm just not sure what would happen if a bid came in.

If Rodwell had made no secret of the fact he'd like to leave Everton, REALLY want to leave, then £30 million at this stage probably wouldn't be turned down.

If Rodwell pledged his future to Everton, then I'm sure Everton/Moyes would turn down all but REALLY stupid offers.

The ball as they say is in Rodwells court!

Does anyone really think that Jack would want to go at the moment???

Everything is right for him to stay for at least 4 years - by then who knows where we will be - champs league regulars?

Why leave when:

1. He has seen what has happened to Rooney's status among fans for wanting to go when the fans are clearly intent on him staying a blue.

2. He has a better chance of regular first team action.

3. We are in a better position than we were when Rooney was here.

I would be very very suspect if by some reason Jack is sold, he has made it clear he is happy - the only way a sale will happen is if the board see fit to sell for the money that would be offered. Then we will have to hope we can develop another potential England Captain - cos we sure as well ain't gonna be in the financial position to buy or lure one!

Everything the lad does at the moment is under the microscope and magnified, his bad pass against sporting, his goal against utd. Just gotta take the rough with the smooth, not get disheartened when a mistake is made and not too carried away when something great is done. He is coming along at the rate everyone had hoped for from when he was playing above his years in the academy, therefore there is no reason he can't reach his touted potential of the new Steven Gerrard - so therefore I ask - what price would make you sell? - if Liverpool sold Gerrard for todays equivalent of £30m when he was 18 would you say that was good business given what he has done for them? You need to keep the best players if you want your team to do well, simple as that.

Mark Lawrensen (for what it's worth)...

“David Moyes is right to be relaxed about Jack Rodwell’s future.

“There’s no doubt that any potential suitors for the 18-year-old will have sat back and admired his solo goal against Manchester United on Saturday along with the rest of us. Except Sir Alex Ferguson perhaps.

“But if the Old Trafford manager is, as has been suggested, planning another swoop on Goodison Park, then it says everything about where David Moyes is taking Everton at the moment that he’s likely to be sent away with his tail between his legs.”

“It’s more to do with the fact that Everton is undoubtedly the perfect place for youngsters like Rodwell to progress and mature into top footballers. It’s a totally different situation to Wayne Rooney.”