12 replies to this topic

#1 Patto

Patto

Time Will Tell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2009 - 09:11

in todays echo david moyes set to step up the search for new talent...reading between the lines weve missed our targets...what a shambles the way our club is being run.

#2 Neil S

Neil S

Joe Parkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2009 - 09:25

On the plus side we are 1 signing up on last year (Jo) and Rodwell and Gosling are now 1st team members. Still 2 weeks to kick off and I have faith we will have players in by then. I agree we've missed out on Naughton, but I don't think we've missed all our targets. With very little money to spend Moyes is right to bide his tim and make sure what we do buy is right for the club

#3 Patto

Patto

Time Will Tell

• Members
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2009 - 09:32

we should have offered the extra million for naughton and hed be ours now...weve missed out on a very good player we could have had him for years 6/7 million isnt to much for a future england international.

#4 Neil S

Neil S

Joe Parkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2009 - 10:08

we should have offered the extra million for naughton and hed be ours now...weve missed out on a very good player we could have had him for years 6/7 million isnt to much for a future england international.

The problem is with next to no money we couldn't afford to get into a bidding war where would couldn't really compete

#5 Oztoffee

Oztoffee

Alex Young

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 00:30

The problem is with next to no money we couldn't afford to get into a bidding war where would couldn't really compete

Absolutely right!
It's not just the transfer fee of course, the wages have to be brought into consideration too!

I don't really have any idea of what the existing players are paid at Goodison, but imagine the attitude of existing players who are tried and true when an untried kid from the boondocks of the Championship turns up at training earning twice as much as they are! Spurs have a big wallet and don't mind opening it, whereas we......

Yeh, I know they are pros and all that shit but it would still stick in your throat.

#6 Patto

Patto

Time Will Tell

• Members
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 07:47

poor outlook so we dont sign any players because of what the current players might think...young players should be looked at as investments...im sure in 3yrs time the likes of naughton will double in value...you have to back your judgment in the transfer market.look at lescott 4 times the value we paid hes only one of our squad.

#7 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 12:36

I thought we already had our targets identified, surely that should have meant the back-up targets too? We're 2 weeks away from the start of the season and he's still searching for players, brilliant.

#8 Patto

Patto

Time Will Tell

• Members
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 17:21

back up targets...were talking david moyes and everton fc we dont have options what we get from now on were never on our list thats allready gone...picked off by other teams.

#9 Chris the Blue

Chris the Blue

Duncan McKenzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 17:45

I thought we already had our targets identified, surely that should have meant the back-up targets too? We're 2 weeks away from the start of the season and he's still searching for players, brilliant.

Are you shocked by this?

#10 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 17:47

Are you shocked by this?

Not really, but you expect lessons to be learnt but it looks like we're making the same mistakes as last summer.

#11 Chris the Blue

Chris the Blue

Duncan McKenzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 Aug 2009 - 17:50

Yes you would, all i can think of (hope for more like) is there's a rich bloke waiting to buy and he doesn't want anything going on until he gets here. Now i'll wake up.

#12 The Boy

The Boy

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 14:33

poor outlook so we dont sign any players because of what the current players might think...young players should be looked at as investments...im sure in 3yrs time the likes of naughton will double in value...you have to back your judgment in the transfer market.look at lescott 4 times the value we paid hes only one of our squad.

I agree with you Patto... but for every Lescott in the Championship, there will be a Nugent... Don't see anyone saying 6m is a good steal on him, yet last year we had people clamouring for his signature and lambasting Moyes for not getting him ....

I think we admit that we haven't got the financial clout of Spurs and Sheffield Utd are a bunch of........ but, when Moyes gets someone he is rarely wrong, and with our funds I would prefer that.

#13 Patto

Patto

Time Will Tell

• Members
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 17:00

i understand what your saying...moyes hasnt made many mistakes...i wasnt bothered about nugent he was overpriced...the problem is wheres the money gone...i still say moyes must back his own judgement..people think we matched spures offer from what im led to believe we wouldnt go above six million..it reminds of the nigel martyn farce when we told him to go and talk to leeds and so he signed for leeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users