IGNORED

This New Europa League Format

rubecula

Ok we have one foot in the next round. But I am not sure what the next round is. Is it the group stages, or is it another KO game (home and away)or is it something different.

How many teams will be in the league and how is it decided on who wins the trophy?

I have tried to find out on the 'net' but I am not getting anywhere.

I think I will go to confused.com ......... cos I am confused as hell :lol:

All the info can be found here - http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/format/index.html

Essentially, overall winners of the current 2 leg ties will go into a 4 team group and play each other home and away.

The top 2 of each of the 12 groups then go back into a 2 legged ko competition along with the 8 3rd place teams from each of the champions league groups and continue in a knockout format up to the final.

All the info can be found here - http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/format/index.html

Essentially, overall winners of the current 2 leg ties will go into a 4 team group and play each other home and away.

The top 2 of each of the 12 groups then go back into a 2 legged ko competition along with the 8 3rd place teams from each of the champions league groups and continue in a knockout format up to the final.

The winners of the current playoff PLUS the loosers from the Champions League playoff will make up the groups for Europa League.

Winning the league awards roughly €6M in prize money alone, plus TV and box office. Not quite the Champions League, but not bad either, and if it proves successful, I imagine the values might go up.

Edited by Sporting4ever

The winners of the current playoff PLUS the loosers from the Champions League playoff will make up the groups for Europa League.

Winning the league awards roughly €6M in prize money alone, plus TV and box office. Not quite the Champions League, but not bad either, and if it proves successful, I imagine the values might go up.

lol we could agree terms with another 2 players and let those deals fall through for that amount!

I've read the winner gets about 3.7m in prize money...hardly worth 15 games.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070530050920AAYRS56

I've read the winner gets about 3.7m in prize money...hardly worth 15 games.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070530050920AAYRS56

Winning the final is 2 or 3 Million. But you're forgetting the rest of the winnings. Qualifying, wins, draws, getting past the groups stage, etc.

In all, it's something like 6 or 7, not counting TV and attendances.

Plus gate receipts for an extra eight home games.....even with smallish crowds to start with that should bring in £4-5m.

Exactly. Not CL money, but not bad either. And hopefully it'll improve, if the competition is a success.

is it worth it to play up to 15 games for a shot at 8-9 million? would it help more than it hurt?

Well, the simple question to that is, why bother working for a European qualification standing in the league if you don't take advantage of it next season??

is it worth it to play up to 15 games for a shot at 8-9 million? would it help more than it hurt?

?? :blink:

The football side of it should be enough to want to play those 15 games (against other good teams in Europe).. It's great for scouting new players and see how they perform outside of their domestic league .. Europa League is a tough competition which gives experience to your younger players (of which we have many).

add to that all the money that there is to be made (as stated by MikeO and Sporting4ever).

and the exposure the team gets in a bigger market might even get you more fans.

where's the downside?