IGNORED

Sylvain Distin

blueblood

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Telegraph link scares me. Huth and Distin, that's not a defensive pairing for the future and surely paying 8-9 million for the pair of them will be like throwing the money away. If Huth has more injury troubles we're still one short, and the both of them will be useful for 2 seasons at the very most, after that I wouldn't see either of them playing for a top half premier league club.

If Taylor's asking price is up to 6 mil then we should pay it. He will be useful for us for several years ahead, a potential future england CB and at the same time he is already ready for first team football. I think we might be hyping him a bit, but if he can gel then I think there's great potential here.

Ideally we could get someone relatively unproven that could act as cover on the flanks..

This mornings Daily Post and The Sun are reporting that we have agreed a £5M fee with Pompey for him

If, and its a big if knowing the way Efc do business, but if we do manage to sign him it will be interesting to see what length of contract is offered, Dont forget the policy of lowering the squads age, and offering only one year extensions to players over 30.

Carsley left to get a 2 year deal at Birmingham, because we only offered him a one year deal, so Davey will be going against his and the Clubs policy if they sign him.

Would rather struggle on with Neville and Duffy until jags gets back, than be panicked into buying a player we would not have bought last year.

If, and its a big if knowing the way Efc do business, but if we do manage to sign him it will be interesting to see what length of contract is offered, Dont forget the policy of lowering the squads age, and offering only one year extensions to players over 30.

Carsley left to get a 2 year deal at Birmingham, because we only offered him a one year deal, so Davey will be going against his and the Clubs policy if they sign him.

Would rather struggle on with Neville and Duffy until jags gets back, than be panicked into buying a player we would not have bought last year.

Not chance ! Neville isnt a CB and Duffy isnt ready and no sooner will we get Jags back then Yobo will go.

Distin is a quality defender and yes we are paying over the odds for a player that age but we could still get three or four seasons out of him.

The club has only got itself to blame for this mess and its a bit too late in the day to start looking for the ideal solution, they have known since Jags got injured last season that we needed a CB regardless of the Lescott saga and they must have had an inclination that there was a possibility of Lescott jumping ship months ago

If we bring him in for £5M it still leaves enough for another defender that we desperately need

Unless BK has found a couple of million pound in an old pair of jeans (as you do) I cant see us getting Distin for 5mil. I think it's obvious that Villa want him after they have lodged formal bids, letting him go to Villa isnt going to stop them bidding for someone else though e.g. Taylor because Villa don't have the financial 'brick wall' that we have. We need to go to Newcastle with a Private Bid that they cant refuse, so nobody gets any wind of it taking place (could have already happened) and make sure they keep it private! I have no doubt we will have new faces for the Wigan game at CB. Look what Burnley done to us for Christ's sake, we need them!

Edited by Anto-EFC

Unless BK has found a couple of million pound in an old pair of jeans (as you do) I cant see us getting Distin for 5mil. I think it's obvious that Villa want him after they have lodged formal bids, letting him go to Villa isnt going to stop them bidding for someone else though e.g. Taylor because Villa don't have the financial 'brick wall' that we have. We need to go to Newcastle with a Private Bid that they cant refuse, so nobody gets any wind of it taking place (could have already happened) and make sure they keep it private! I have no doubt we will have new faces for the Wigan game at CB. Look what Burnley done to us for Christ's sake, we need them!

??????? We have just got £22M from Lescott

??????? We have just got £22M from Lescott

What I'm saying is Moyes surely wont want to spend a third of the remaining 15mil-ish after Bilya, on a 31-yr-old defender when he can use the 15mil to get better,younger players. It would be a waste to spend this type of money on Distin, unless Bill has found some money to burn. Signing Distin completely goes against everything Moyes has tried to build. Fair enough we need experience and cover but surely we could have got that from Campbell for free, no point in wasting valuable cash on someone who breaks Moyes' policy.

EDIT: Thats providing that Moyes actually gets the entire sum of Lescott's fee.

Edited by Anto-EFC

I really do hope we get Distin as he is a quality player who will be able to cover at LB also.

£5-6m in my opinion is a bit OTT considering his age but the market is overpriced anyway.

I know he is 32 but has got a good few years ahead of him and has a wealth of experience at the top.

Him and Hangeland and maybe Bangera and we will be ok

Hope its sorted before the game at the weekend.

I really do hope we get Distin as he is a quality player who will be able to cover at LB also.

£5-6m in my opinion is a bit OTT considering his age but the market is overpriced anyway.

I know he is 32 but has got a good few years ahead of him and has a wealth of experience at the top.

Him and Hangeland and maybe Bangera and we will be ok

Hope its sorted before the game at the weekend.

I agree totally!

Everyone keeps banging on about his age and we are paying over the odds, well desperate times call for desperate measures.

None of the younger CBs people are talking about can cover at LB so to me its not a case of can we afford to "waste" £5M on him more a case of can we afford not to

The club have backed themselves into a corner and we now have 6 days to identify a decent CB and a left back and thrash out 2 deals or pay a little over the odds for a stop gap

I do wonder if Moyes has already had some players looked at whilst the whole Lescott drama was going on any way. I mean, just look at how swiftly we completed the deal for Bily so maybe he already has cover for both positions lined up?

I know, I am naive but signing Bily has me all excitable :lol:

Echo said we have agreed a fee, but it is the Echo is don't know if it's true or not?

That means nothing, didnt we agree a fee for Naughton. ?? and probably 1 or 2 others.

If we bring in Distin, we might as well bring Carsley back, (who we got rid of because he was over 30) sadly we have missed him most.

That means nothing, didnt we agree a fee for Naughton. ?? and probably 1 or 2 others.

If we bring in Distin, we might as well bring Carsley back, (who we got rid of because he was over 30) sadly we have missed him most.

I didnt realise he could play CB/LB??

A question for everyone who is so against this deal, What do you suggest we do instead, bearing in mind we need a LB as well?

I suggest getting a younger alternative without the experience but with more than 2 years ahead of him of top flight football. It all boils down to the fee though doesn't it? If he's dirt cheap then sure, as cover for 1 or 2 seasons he'd be decent. But there's bound to be a reason for him going dirt cheap too.

But with the sums suggested it's like throwing away money we don't have. With the availability of funds we have to plan more than one year ahead.

distin is asolid defender, he may be 31 but he is still in great shape. We can easily get two to three good seasons out of him and have a solid player who can cover. And talk of moyes' policy on over 30s, anyone remember nevilles contract extension? How long?

I suggest getting a younger alternative without the experience but with more than 2 years ahead of him of top flight football. It all boils down to the fee though doesn't it? If he's dirt cheap then sure, as cover for 1 or 2 seasons he'd be decent. But there's bound to be a reason for him going dirt cheap too.

But with the sums suggested it's like throwing away money we don't have. With the availability of funds we have to plan more than one year ahead.

Be more specific . Its no good saying hypothetically we should sign this fictitious young CB who is also superb at LB and would only cost us 5p and would be willing to play for nothing!

There are only 6 days left we are desperate and Distin fits the bill in all but age

distin is asolid defender, he may be 31 but he is still in great shape. We can easily get two to three good seasons out of him and have a solid player who can cover. And talk of moyes' policy on over 30s, anyone remember nevilles contract extension? How long?

Aye, Weir give us years of service so isn't that bad a signing. Though 5 million is way too expensive.

Be more specific . Its no good saying hypothetically we should sign this fictitious young CB who is also superb at LB and would only cost us 5p and would be willing to play for nothing!

There are only 6 days left we are desperate and Distin fits the bill in all but age

I was being intentionally vague as I feel that Distin is about as far from what I believe we should be looking at as is possible. Especially with all the other names at CB we've been connected with. If we get a decent battling midfielder Neville can cover LB and RB if needed. A CB needs to be added with potential and ability in mind, which is why Steven Taylor fits the bill perfectly even if I think people's opinion of him has skyrocketed after his name was mentioned.

While Distin and Huth would be good temporary solutions I still believe with the funds that we have that we need to look at more longterm solutions.

I was being intentionally vague as I feel that Distin is about as far from what I believe we should be looking at as is possible. Especially with all the other names at CB we've been connected with. If we get a decent battling midfielder Neville can cover LB and RB if needed. A CB needs to be added with potential and ability in mind, which is why Steven Taylor fits the bill perfectly even if I think people's opinion of him has skyrocketed after his name was mentioned.

While Distin and Huth would be good temporary solutions I still believe with the funds that we have that we need to look at more longterm solutions.

I admit its not an ideal situation but there are only 5 days left to go we have left it too late to start scouring the world looking for somebody younger.

None of the other CBs we have been linked with can fill in at LB. Its ok saying Neville can fill in at RB,LB,CB and DM but what happens if he gets injured?

I agree with you about Taylor and Everton have obviously enquired about him. Moyse has said he wants 2 CBs and I personaly will be happy if he is one of them

Guest blueboy122

i would be seriously pissed off if we signed distin for 5.5 million pounds for a 31 year old. am sorry but there must be other options for davey to look at surely he wont spend 5.5 million on distin, a few years ago i would have said yes good signing but not now. why the hell did we let valente and jacobson go?

It was on Radio City before that someone from Porsmouth fc had confirmed that they have accepted a 5m bid from Everton & they now expect him to leave.....

Ill try and find a link on the net

It was thier Chief Exec Peter Storrie , its also been on SSN & TalkSport

http://www.tribalfootball.com/portsmouth-chief-storrie-reveals-everton-offer-distin-280461