IGNORED

Ambitions For Season?

nogs

The welcome reprieve from our abysmal Prem start with what should be a straightforward game in Czech has got me thinking about what I'd really like us to achieve this season - do I want another top-six finish, or a glorious cup run in Europe or at home ending in us lifting a trophy?

Ok, in an ideal world, I'd like both, but we all know we haven't got the biggest squad so competing on all fronts is difficult. I know everyone says the league is the bread and butter, but tbh, I want to win something, and if I had to choose, I think I'd take being the first club to win the Europa League over finishing in the top four and qualifying for the CL (I know which our accountants would prefer, but that's another story). What does everyone else reckon - given the poor start and the fact that there's serious competition for the European places this year, would you take slipping to mid-table if we won something? Obviously, we'd HAVE to win something coz I'd want to be in Europe next year... anyway, just a thought, I think i'm more excited about Europe than I am the Prem this year.

The welcome reprieve from our abysmal Prem start with what should be a straightforward game in Czech has got me thinking about what I'd really like us to achieve this season - do I want another top-six finish, or a glorious cup run in Europe or at home ending in us lifting a trophy?

Ok, in an ideal world, I'd like both, but we all know we haven't got the biggest squad so competing on all fronts is difficult. I know everyone says the league is the bread and butter, but tbh, I want to win something, and if I had to choose, I think I'd take being the first club to win the Europa League over finishing in the top four and qualifying for the CL (I know which our accountants would prefer, but that's another story). What does everyone else reckon - given the poor start and the fact that there's serious competition for the European places this year, would you take slipping to mid-table if we won something? Obviously, we'd HAVE to win something coz I'd want to be in Europe next year... anyway, just a thought, I think i'm more excited about Europe than I am the Prem this year.

Sort of agree with you there dude, i think winning the Europa will be horrendously tough but just as tough as breakin the top 4, and we came pretty close in recent seasons. I think for me, a top 8 finish, a semi-final in a domestic cup (both would do me) and putting in a decent challenge to Europa isnt too unrealistic and something we should be doing. Id love Moyes to win something, but if he does, its because he has put all his eggs into one basket and that competition becomes the priority.

like our motto says, nothing but the best, so i dont see why we have to choose between european sucess or good finishes in domestic competetions. we should be looking to push for 4th and further, whilst getting to as many finals as possible. dreamland i know but its what we should be looking towards...

like our motto says, nothing but the best, so i dont see why we have to choose between european sucess or good finishes in domestic competetions. we should be looking to push for 4th and further, whilst getting to as many finals as possible. dreamland i know but its what we should be looking towards...

Quite right, and I think Nogs' original post hinted at that but I believe he's trying to apply a healthy dose of realism! ;)

Quite right, and I think Nogs' original post hinted at that but I believe he's trying to apply a healthy dose of realism! ;)

i know, and for the most part i agree with him. but my expectations are also realstic (allbeit less realistic), with Arteta Yak and Jags still to comback, we have a decent team. for the 1st time in a long time we have too many attacking options! if we get a couple of centre backs in, a DM, and RB, were sorted! well, nearly....

ive always said id take a 10th place finish and winning european cup anyday! anyone who wants us to go out of the competition early is just talkin rubbish imo cos i know a few of my mates who wanted us to go out against sigma...

with a few signings with the lescott money though i dont see why we cant have a top 6 and european challenge also!

ive always said id take a 10th place finish and winning european cup anyday! anyone who wants us to go out of the competition early is just talkin rubbish imo cos i know a few of my mates who wanted us to go out against sigma...

with a few signings with the lescott money though i dont see why we cant have a top 6 and european challenge also!

i can understand why people wanted us to go out following the Arsenal game. as long as we get some bodies in, a push for another top5 finish and a good run in Europe is perfectly possible...

I'd like to see us reach a minimum of the last 8 of the Europa Cup and to achieve a top 6 finish. That would demostrate ongoing overachievment given the resources.

Entirely agree. Maybe also a view at some good attacking football given that we now have two wingers who can hopefully persuade Moyes into pushing Areta into CM.

Would like to make it to final of the Simod Cup!

Nah seriously, good run in domestic cups, last 4/8 in Europa and (please God) top 6 finish.

When all members are fit, we have a got some real quality.

Billy is an extra body, when you think that VDM didn't play.

Distin good replacement, and Pip can cover both fullback slots.

Jags, Arteta and Yak will all be quality additions once back fit.

Quite optimistic after the last couple of days, lets hope the next few are as eventful!

Prem League 6th

FA CUP 4th Round

League Cup 3rd Round

Europe Last 32

Sorry I thought this was the predictions thread.....

ok Ambitions for the season (What Id be happy with)

Prem League 5th & More points than last season... a good push for 4th place

FA CUP Final/Winners

League Cup PLAY THE KIDS

Europe Semi Final

Edited by DangerMouse