IGNORED

Europa League Group Draw

jcrawfor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so bad a draw I suppose, but could still be some tricky games. Does anyone know who we'll be playing first, and whether it'll be home or away?

actually it's a good draw.

benfica was a big team back in my grandfather's days, not anymore. don't like to play greek teams, but this one should be ok. bate borisov? could be worse!

it's a good draw and we should target the top spot in our group.

Just like yesterday's draw, today's should be interesting too.

The pairings were almost incredible. Real and Milan, plus Barcelona and Inter, after the summer transfers, are amazing pairings. Chelsea getting porto again is also gonna be interesting.

Anyways, while I'd like to see you guys come visit us, I'd prefer you teaching our "dear" benfica neighbours a couple of lessons ;), but most of all I wish you guys good luck on the draw, may we meet each other in the final :D

Wow, it looks like they were reading my mind :D

I'll look forward to having you guys over at our fine city, and though I tend to root for Portuguese teams when they play in Europe, I won't root for "them" against Everton, you guys got my well wishes for both games. :D

All in all, a decent draw. Most groups are decently balanced, at least for the top 3 seeds.

To those that didn't see/read/heard, here's the groups:

Group A

Ajax

Anderlecht

Dínamo Zagreb

Timisoara

Group B

Valencia

Losc Lille

Slavia Prague

Genoa

Group C

Hamburg

Celtic

Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Rapid Vienn

Group D

Sporting Portugal

Heerenveen

Hertha Berlin

Ventspils)

Group E

AS Roma

Basel

Fulham

CSKA Sofia

Group F

Panathinaikos

Galatasaray

Dinamo Bucarest

Sturm Graz

Group G

Villarreal

Lazio Roma

Levski Sofia

FC Salzburg

Group H

Steaua Bucarest

Fenerbahce

Twente

Sheriff Tiraspol

Group I

Benfica

Everton

AEK Athens

BATE Borisov

Group J

Shakhtar

Club Brugge

Partizan

Toulouse

Group K

PSV

Copenhagen

Sparta Prague

Cluj

Group L

Werder Bremen

Austria Vienn

Athletic Bilbao

Nacional Madeira

Sporting results..Don't be afraid them too..

Fiorentina 1-1 Sporting

Sporting 1-2 Sp. Braga

Sporting 2-2 Fiorentina

Nacional 1-1 Sporting

Twente 1-1 Sporting

Sporting 0-0 Twente

V. Guimarães 2-2 Sporting

Sporting 1-2 Feyenoord

Sporting 0-1 Nottingham Forest

Sporting 3-0 At. Cacém

Group H

Steaua Bucarest

Fenerbahce

Twente

Sheriff Tiraspol

Would have liked to be in this group instead of Fenerbahce... But all in all, not a bad draw. One of the best groups i think. Big hopes of going through to the next round.

sure, it's the best one. but ours is accessible. it's nice to be able to visit cities like athens and lisbon...these cities have no strong football, but i'm sure we'll find good weather, good food & drinkin' :-)

benfica, known as "orcs" by Sporting Supporters, will not pass trought second fase of Europa League.

Dont be afraid, they are too arrogant to realize that they will go away at this stage.

Go Everton, destroy them!!! :D

You can't be a Sporting Lisbon Fan and be a Soccer Fan...it just doesn't match !

yeah! :-) that too. we'll exchange with our nice souvenirs courtersy of Luis Saha...just to name one ;-)

Those will actually come in handy after the match. There will be alot of tears to wipe... Seriously you guys dont expect this will be a walk in the park?

We are clearly one of the top 5 teams in this competition. We can clearly win this thing, if you really expect to win in Lisbon, go watch the game Benfica 4 - 0 Portsmouth.

We beat the current cup holders Shaktar Donetsk by 2-0 in one of the first games of the pre-season. They had far more preparation than we did, we won 4 pre-season tournaments, including Ajax's tournament. We beat AC Milan for the Eusebio Cup.

You people need to wake up...

Anyway I hope we can enjoy great football when we meet on the pitch, and may the best win.

Hey there Everton fans!

I´m a Benfica fan and am really glad to meet Everton in this stage of the Europa League!

I honestly think our group is a good one, with a niece historical english team like Everton, with top players like Saha, Jo, Cahill, Arteta or Fellaini, and AEK Athens!

I think we´ll have 2 very good games against you guys, with good atmospheres and great football!

I hope Benfica and Everton qualify in the end!

If you want to know Benfica´s team in detail or anything else about the club, just ask! ;)

We usually play with:

Quim

Maxi Pereira

Luisão

David Luiz

Shaffer

Javi Garcia

Ramires

Di Maria

Aimar

Saviola

Cardozo

Big hug...and sorry for my bad english!

By the way...visit our forum anytime...you´ll be very welcome there...It´s: www.serbenfiquista.com

;)

When I was a wee lad, many years ago...... :lol:

Well frankly, Benfica were THE team, a sort of Barcelona of the 1950's and 1960's if you like.

Garincha (excuse the spelling) Eusebio and the like.

This is one game, win lose or draw I want to see like no other. I would watch Benfica over the likes of Real Madrid any day of the week.

Possibly because I am an old fart to be honest.

In our group I think Everton are the best team, but they really need to improve on their performances of late. Not one of the group will be a push over.

If only my Aunt Maria were still around, I am sure she would pop round and get me a ticket for the away leg. (Before making me eat one of her awful burnt offerings) But it would be worth it.

I will be pulling out all stops to get to the away leg.

To be honest I was hoping we got to play against a team like Everton in the group stage. Inferior teams its easier but, you never know what can happen, and if you win its considered "normal" but if you lose, you lose reputation. So Im glad we got Everton in our group. And yes, Benfica and Everton are the favourites in this group, but like I said before, you never know what might happen.

Edited by nullus

Rubecula...good to see someone who knows about the great Benfica and respects us like you!

We also respect Everton very much...Premier League is the greatest in the world...and Everton is one of the teams that has been champion multiple times!

It´ll be for sure a great match in the "Luz" and another in Goodison Park!

Looking forward for that!

Thank you for that Rui Costa. I would not slight Sporting, as I think they too are a great side. However when I was growing up it was Benfica thet were exotic, talented and brilliant to watch on the old black and white TV.

My father and his brothers, along with little me, used to listen to the football on the radio. There were some mighty teams in Europe that we could only dream about ever seeing, and Benfica was one of them. Of all of us in the family, I am the only one who now has a chance to realise that dream.

Yes of course I want Everton to beat Benfica, that is normal. But more than that, I simply want to see Benfica for real at Goodison Park, were I was able to go to the World Cup games in 1966.

Benfica at Goodison Park should be similar to the game we played against Bayern Munich there on one of the greatest nights of European football our club has seen.

If the atmosphere is only half as good, it will be better than anything that you can get up the road at L'pool.

And if it is good here, what will it be like in Portugal?

European games in the "Luz" are always special...we are in fact a European Club...

With 2 Champions League titles, and 5 finals lost to Milan (2), PSV (penaltys), Inter, Manchester United (after extra time...and 1 Uefa Cup final lost to Anderlecht!

We love to play in the european competitions and our stadium brings in extra energy!

But against teams no so well known like Bate i doubt it´ll be full though!

Against Everton, for sure there will be a great attendandce and bright...since the biggest portuguese team meets one of the historical teams in England!

We look forward for both matches...and I hope Benfica wins, of course, but above all, a great match with an exciting atmosphere, and a good chance to make somo british friends! ;)

Good luck for Everton in the Premiership this week! ;)