IGNORED

Europa League Group Draw

jcrawfor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All weekend results of the teams that are in this group (not including Everton since you all know that one):

The Super League Greece -> Atromitos 0 - 1 AEK (Blanco 58') | Match Highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemX9pS-Gnk

Vysshaya Liga -> Bate Borisov 1 - 1 Dinamo Minsk (Sergei Kislyak 40' -Minsk ; Sergei Krivets 85' -Bate)

Liga Sagres -> Benfica 8 - 1 Vitória de Setúbal (J. Garcia 16', Luisão 21', Cardozo 29, 65' and 75', Aimar 35', Ramires 37', Gomes 85'; Barbosa 90'+2) | All Goals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_OXWEqU0U | Full Game Download: 1st Half - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TL4OBZ3W <> 2nd Half - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OVGBIAUG

Edited by nullus

Bookies have got it down as pretty much a two horse race...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/europa-league/europa-league-group-i/win-market

Greek sides can be dangerous but AEK look to have had a pretty bad season last year. The "big three" over there (AEK, Panathinaikos, Olympiakos) are normally even more secure at the top than our sky four but they dropped out of it for only the second time in ten years last season (maybe longer but that's as far as I looked). Away form screwed them; they only won three out of fifteen and scored only nineteen....although they only lost one...drew eleven.

I really don't get this 5 officials in a match. (Six if you count the 'fourth' official on the dugouts)

Soon there will be more officials than fans. Rugby, (both Union and League) use televised replays. Tennis has Hawkeye, Cricket has something (whatever that is called). Football creates the most income, generally over a season creates more interest. So why in hell's name can't we have technology?

I have heard arguments for and against, and frankly the arguments against are no real arguments at all.

Doing what? Waiting to see if the ball crosses the line? Or are they an extra pair of eyes for other incidents too?

"In addition to the match referee and two assistant referees on the touchline, two extra assistants are placed behind the goalline, with the mission of focusing on incidents which happen in the penalty area, such as fouls or misconduct. "

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=524288/newsid=835399.html

"In addition to the match referee and two assistant referees on the touchline, two extra assistants are placed behind the goalline, with the mission of focusing on incidents which happen in the penalty area, such as fouls or misconduct. "

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=524288/newsid=835399.html

The thing is Mike, the occurances whatever they may be will still be diagnosed and cross referenced by TV broadcasters, and mistakes will still be highlighted on air.

We have the technology, and a lot of it is already in use by TV companies such as Sky etc. I can not see why it is not used to sort out things (eg Eduardo's diving)

Don't get me wrong, having extra officials may be a good idea. But with modern technology, for the modern game, available. Why not use it?

Issue with TV replays during the game is the time it takes to make a decision when the evidence can be replayed over and over.

Football is fast paced so needs to remain that. Imagine a shot hits the bar bounces over the line but back out in to the keepers arms. The keeper goes to throw it out for a counter attack but referee gestures the TV judge to take a look...the whole game stops and the opposition regroups.

We already see the impact players faking injury has on the pace of the game, it would further slow it if we keep stopping for the TV judge.

Where would the TV judge stop, just for goal line dramas or for tackles in the centre circle too just to make sure the yellow card wasn't harsh enough?

Personally, I think the drama and conversations that some decisions spark brings excitment to the game. Looking at TV footage after the event for blatant assaults, cheating should continue to be used.

I do think goal line technology should be pursued...for situations like Crystal Palace found themselves in couple of weeks ago. This can be automated without a person behind a TV screen, a buzzer on the refs watch for example.

Edited by Everton_Worshiper

Leave it all to the ref... thats why hes there.... just give more powers to a "review panel"

The most important questions are....How far do we go? & What exactly do we target?

A process allowing managers to "report" incidents for review post match wood be good.. I dont want Big fucking Andy Gray getting involved.....

OK this may not have an effect "in game" but if players and referees were punished for their mistakes / cheating they would think twice about doing it again....

The only technical aspect I would introduce is goaline technology

I really don't get this 5 officials in a match. (Six if you count the 'fourth' official on the dugouts)

Soon there will be more officials than fans. Rugby, (both Union and League) use televised replays. Tennis has Hawkeye, Cricket has something (whatever that is called). Football creates the most income, generally over a season creates more interest. So why in hell's name can't we have technology?

I have heard arguments for and against, and frankly the arguments against are no real arguments at all.

The main argument against is simply one:

The money that revolves around the post-match debates. Talk shows, radio programs, and tons of papers. That's lots of money that wants things like they are, and they have a lot of power.

Issue with TV replays during the game is the time it takes to make a decision when the evidence can be replayed over and over.

Football is fast paced so needs to remain that. Imagine a shot hits the bar bounces over the line but back out in to the keepers arms. The keeper goes to throw it out for a counter attack but referee gestures the TV judge to take a look...the whole game stops and the opposition regroups.

We already see the impact players faking injury has on the pace of the game, it would further slow it if we keep stopping for the TV judge.

Where would the TV judge stop, just for goal line dramas or for tackles in the centre circle too just to make sure the yellow card wasn't harsh enough?

Personally, I think the drama and conversations that some decisions spark brings excitment to the game. Looking at TV footage after the event for blatant assaults, cheating should continue to be used.

I do think goal line technology should be pursued...for situations like Crystal Palace found themselves in couple of weeks ago. This can be automated without a person behind a TV screen, a buzzer on the refs watch for example.

It's not the job of the tech to do the refereeing. It's there as a tool to assist them in their job. As you pointed out, the game already takes stupid breaks when players roll around on the pitch. Imagine the tech saying "he wasn't hit that hard, or at all", and the ref books him. Players get a casual clip on the shoulder and fall down grasping their faces, wtf is this???

There's lots of pauses in the game, this would only help in that. Clear up penalties, to get Eduardo booked ON the pitch, ammong other things.

Leave it all to the ref... thats why hes there.... just give more powers to a "review panel"

The most important questions are....How far do we go? & What exactly do we target?

A process allowing managers to "report" incidents for review post match wood be good.. I dont want Big fucking Andy Gray getting involved.....

OK this may not have an effect "in game" but if players and referees were punished for their mistakes / cheating they would think twice about doing it again....

The ref, just like everyone else on that pitch, is HUMAN. They make mistakes. And what we're seeing more and more is players taking advantadge of the faster pace that gameplay is having, and pushing further and further to force those mistakes.

Like Rubecula says, we have the tech. What's the harm in having a assistant for the linesmen, to which they can ask to confirm if a player was offside or not. We've seen numerous instances of the flag going up 5 seconds later, and he was just trying to make up his mind if he gave it or not. With the level of tech we have now, someone could confirm that almost in real time.

Goal line tech, use what they do in Ice hockey.

Replays are a good idea, Andy townend(who i can't stand) made a good point the otherday, he said by the time the Celtic players had stop arguing, they seen 3 replays of the incedant an could have said it wasn't a pen.

also 5 ref's meand s 2 extra refs to screw us over. Colina the best ref in the WHOLE WORLD on his last ever game, was told to make sure we don't win. an he did, robbing git. so all an extra 2 refs do is increase the change that Uefa can fix who goes throught an who doesn't.

Edited by Adpom

Goal line tech, use what they do in Ice hockey.

Replays are a good idea, Andy townend(who i can't stand) made a good point the otherday, he said by the time the Celtic players had stop arguing, they seen 3 replays of the incedant an could have said it wasn't a pen.

also 5 ref's meand s 2 extra refs to screw us over. Colina the best ref in the WHOLE WORLD on his last ever game, was told to make sure we don't win. an he did, robbing git. so all an extra 2 refs do is increase the change that Uefa can fix who goes throught an who doesn't.

THAT just shows what a numpty Townsend is..... HE HAD TIME TO SHOW REPLAYS BECAUSE THE GAME HAD STOPPED.......

If it hadnt been given.... how long to say it was a pen....would he have time to do that...

THAT just shows what a numpty Townsend is..... HE HAD TIME TO SHOW REPLAYS BECAUSE THE GAME HAD STOPPED.......

If it hadnt been given.... how long to say it was a pen....would he have time to do that...

his point was, that in a dection like that, players will argue with the ref over a x amount of time, the time taken to carm them down, could have proved if it was or wasn't a pen.

his point was, that in a dection like that, players will argue with the ref over a x amount of time, the time taken to carm them down, could have proved if it was or wasn't a pen.

ANYTHING can happen in 30 seconds.... goals can be scored, players sent off anything....

I dont want to see the game stopped every 10 mins..... it could just turn into a farce....

Dealing with these thing afterwards is much easier without interupting the game / viewer experience.

I agree goal line technology can and should be used as this wouldnt stop the game......Everything else can be dealt with retrospectively..... Getting cought and banned should deter cheating and "SIMULATION". Referees will be under pressure to get their decisions right & panels should be able to "punish" them accordingly...

ANYTHING can happen in 30 seconds.... goals can be scored, players sent off anything....

I dont want to see the game stopped every 10 mins..... it could just turn into a farce....

Dealing with these thing afterwards is much easier without interupting the game / viewer experience.

I agree goal line technology can and should be used as this wouldnt stop the game......Everything else can be dealt with retrospectively..... Getting cought and banned should deter cheating and "SIMULATION". Referees will be under pressure to get their decisions right & panels should be able to "punish" them accordingly...

How do you deal with afterwards?

A badly called penalty that gives a team 3 points, how do you overturn it? Punish the ref, the diver, but what about the 3 points? You need to deal with that during the game. The game already stops more than once every 10 minutes. Actual play time is little over half of actual game time, so you can't say that there'll be more time lost. Not until you actually TEST it.

I'd perhaps look at a referral system similar to American Football and what they plan to put in place in the Cricket pretty soon.

Teams allowed X number of challenges, but if they get it wrong there's some form of standard penalty.

Either that or a system where the ref will allow play to continue until a video ref makes the call. That could be a bit messy though I suppose.

Good idea. Also think it would be good if the referees had an open post match review to explain some decisions. We know they have a tricky job but some decisions defy belief and need explaining.

How do you deal with afterwards?

A badly called penalty that gives a team 3 points, how do you overturn it? Punish the ref, the diver, but what about the 3 points? You need to deal with that during the game. The game already stops more than once every 10 minutes. Actual play time is little over half of actual game time, so you can't say that there'll be more time lost. Not until you actually TEST it.

Im happy to say thats just part of the game.... sometimes you will get them sometime you wont....

I would rather that than ruin the game by stopping it every time someone falls over...

Football will never be free flowing if there is too much emphasis on the TV judge.

Just too many negatives for me and probable reason it very rarely get's much publicity.

Plus, someone mentioned earlier, the number of TV shows that exist to debate decisions, off the ball incidents etc would never go for it. Just like we will never see the common cold cured, the pharamcutical industry makes too much money from it.

Im happy to say thats just part of the game.... sometimes you will get them sometime you wont....

I would rather that than ruin the game by stopping it every time someone falls over...

I doubt very mutch anything would be implemented that would force football to become like that. No one wants football to be like american football, where game time is 60 minutes but actually it takes like 3 hours!

But it's necessary to implement more control, because if nothing else, it lessens the risk of corruption that exists now, which is pretty high.

And given the money involved in betting, the less corruption we have, the better.

Football will never be free flowing if there is too much emphasis on the TV judge.

Just too many negatives for me and probable reason it very rarely get's much publicity.

Plus, someone mentioned earlier, the number of TV shows that exist to debate decisions, off the ball incidents etc would never go for it. Just like we will never see the common cold cured, the pharamcutical industry makes too much money from it.

Exactly. I think tech can be implemented without it having to become involved in every little aspect of the game. but when controversy arrises, it's there to clear the issue.

Another result:

SL Benfica 3 - 1 Celtic FC (Friendly CNE CUP - Toronto Canada - Sept 3rd)

Both teams were missing a lot of starting eleven players due to national team games. I read alot of british and scotish news that said Benfica had a lot of regulars on their starting eleven, thats was clearly an overstatement, there were only 3 on Benfica side plus the 3 that entered during the game, and we also had alot of youth on that game Roderick Miranda, Ruben Pinto, Nélson Oliveira, Diogo Figueiras and Tiago Ramos, they are all from the U-21 team.

All goals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmtInlkpvfg

It was a good opportunity for both teams to give some minutes to some players and give some experience to the youth players. Of course it was a friendly match, and the result is the less important thing.

Edited by nullus

In the earlier posts of this thread it seems like some like that you guys got Benfica in the group stages...I don't think you guys should be happy lol we're not push overs :D

Well, given the seeded clubs that were possibles, you're one of the better choices. Plus, AEK are struggling hard, so the chances that both Everton and you "lamps" willl go trough is good. I hope you do. Last season you guys were terrible in europe, and Portugal needs as many points as we can get, as it seems that even if we get 6 teams to the qualifying rounds, we never get more than 3/4 to the groups stage.

Another result:

SL Benfica 3 - 1 Celtic FC (Friendly CNE CUP - Toronto Canada - Sept 3rd)

Both teams were missing a lot of starting eleven players due to national team games. I read alot of british and scotish news that said Benfica had a lot of regulars on their starting eleven, thats was clearly an overstatement, there were only 3 on Benfica side plus the 3 that entered during the game, and we also had alot of youth on that game Roderick Miranda, Ruben Pinto, Nélson Oliveira, Diogo Figueiras and Tiago Ramos, they are all from the U-21 team.

All goals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmtInlkpvfg

It was a good opportunity for both teams to give some minutes to some players and give some experience to the youth players. Of course it was a friendly match, and the result is the less important thing.

Remember, you took a lot of 1st team players, they didn't play because of the synthetic grass, jesus said it himself, so it's normal that they expected a stronger team, and use that as an excuse for the result.

Well, given the seeded clubs that were possibles, you're one of the better choices. Plus, AEK are struggling hard, so the chances that both Everton and you "lamps" willl go trough is good. I hope you do. Last season you guys were terrible in europe, and Portugal needs as many points as we can get, as it seems that even if we get 6 teams to the qualifying rounds, we never get more than 3/4 to the groups stage.

Remember, you took a lot of 1st team players, they didn't play because of the synthetic grass, jesus said it himself, so it's normal that they expected a stronger team, and use that as an excuse for the result.

We were poor yah but we make too many changes we never have stability. This year should be different. We have pretty much the same squad with the right players added to the squad so we wont have the same as last season.

Everton is a great team and I've been waiting for a while to play them. I BELIEVE it will be Benfica and Everton through

Hey Benfica can't do worse then the 20-0 scoreline Sporting had last season against Bayern :D

We were poor yah but we make too many changes we never have stability. This year should be different. We have pretty much the same squad with the right players added to the squad so we wont have the same as last season.

Everton is a great team and I've been waiting for a while to play them. I BELIEVE it will be Benfica and Everton through

Hey Benfica can't do worse then the 20-0 scoreline Sporting had last season against Bayern :D

20-0?? I see this is gonna be like those Jardel penalties, with you "lamps" making a storm out of a mild rain... ;)

Besides, didn't you guys got some interesting results last season in europe as well...?

A question for one of the many portugese fans posting in this thread. Apologies if this has already been asked 9and answered) but can you tell me how many tickets Benfica usually provide for visiting supporters? UEFA rules state it has to be a minimu of 5% for Europa League games but that's just over 3000 and I can see us wanting 3 or 4 times that amount.

Also, is anyone on here a member of the European Travel club as I understand that is the only way to get a ticket through the club or am i mistaken??

Played as AEK Athens on Fifa last night, against a mate who was Olympiacos. I ripped the shreads out of him, it was gurrd! On a side note, i know its a game, i know it doesnt reflect 'real' life but they were pretty good hahaha

p.s. i laugh now but i know i wont be laughing come the line-up!

Edited by tenaciousj

Hey there Everton fans!

I´m a Benfica fan and am really glad to meet Everton in this stage of the Europa League!

I honestly think our group is a good one, with a niece historical english team like Everton, with top players like Saha, Jo, Cahill, Arteta or Fellaini, and AEK Athens!

I think we´ll have 2 very good games against you guys, with good atmospheres and great football!

I hope Benfica and Everton qualify in the end!

If you want to know Benfica´s team in detail or anything else about the club, just ask! ;)

We usually play with:

Quim

Maxi Pereira

Luisão

David Luiz

Shaffer

Javi Garcia

Ramires

Di Maria

Aimar

Saviola

Cardozo

Big hug...and sorry for my bad english!

By the way...visit our forum anytime...you´ll be very welcome there...It´s: www.serbenfiquista.com

;)

I don't want to be an immature child...but...you have a keeper called Quim?

That's is the greatest name ever. Ha ha!

Played as AEK Athens on Fifa last night, against a mate who was Olympiacos. I ripped the shreads out of him, it was gurrd! On a side note, i know its a game, i know it doesnt reflect 'real' life but they were pretty good hahaha

Plainly not real life.

AEK have only beaten Olympiakos twice in the last twenty league meetings....lost thirteen and drawn five :) .

Ολυμπιακός!

(Apologies for the red....won't happen again.)