IGNORED

Elstone's Account Of The Window

MikeO

Interesting explanation/web of lies or somewhere in between depending on your point of view...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/a-night-out-in-hamburg.html

...it started well before the summer. We met as a Board, including the Manager, in late March and discussed and agreed squad needs and transfer and wages budgets. Post Cup final, the Chairman and I began to follow up on the Managers targets. As was widely reported in the press, this included Senderos, Delph, Elm and Naughton and much work was progressed on each player. Every deal includes a player, an agent, a selling club and inevitably some competition and, as a result, and without an unrestricted cheque book, each deal is difficult, protracted and has a high propensity to unravel. For various differing reasons, thats what happened on each of those prospects.

Perhaps most frustrating was Naughton. We reached written agreement with Sheffield United, who also confirmed as such on their website and we also agreed a deal with the agent who told us the player wanted to come to Everton. Twelve hours later the player had changed his mind about the Club of his dreams and he opted to join Spurs after they declared an interest. Of course, we didnt take it lying down and spent the best part of a week fighting for the player. Sadly, all that work was wasted.

At this point, we were still working and negotiating within our original budget which meant we were still determined to fend off Manchester City and retain Lescott. What became very clear was that City were determined to land the player and were prepared to do whatever it took to get him to Eastlands.

By early August, despite our efforts to keep Lescott - what clinched it of course was the player stating in writing and emphatically that he wanted to go, we reluctantly agreed to talk. Press speculation on the initial bids, were reasonably accurate the media is either very good at guessing or they have their sources but we knew City wanted their man and they have very deep pockets and, accordingly, as you would expect, we sought to take advantage of this. Over the course of three to four very intensive days, our Chairman drove up the final fee substantially.

Of course, concluding on Lescott, changed the Managers needs and his spending power. Manager, Chairman, scouts, Club Secretary, Finance Director and CEO became totally and exclusively focused on replacing Lescott and strengthening the squad. What ensued was an intensive and demanding fortnight which was always going to run down to the wire. It did!

Bilyaletdinov was followed by Distin, then Heitinga and now, of course, Lucas Neill and, as we all know, time will tell. We dont play on paper but everyone here is optimistic; everyone is excited. Trips to Hamburg, final day planes from Amsterdam and hours and hours of midnight oil negotiation will bear fruit, Im sure!

Speaking on the Daily Post website last week, I was challenged about how much weve spent. Are we continuing to support the Manager to the limit? Are we looking to build on the successes of 2008/09? The answer is absolutely yes. The answer is that the Lescott proceeds, after the sell-on fee payable to Wolves, and after funding the not unsubstantial agents fees, transfer levies, solidarity payments and financing charges, and after picking up a significant increase in our player wage costs has been more than fully spent. In fact theres been an overspend by more than the original budget we set when we were trying to sign Naughton, Delph, Elm and others, in June.

All our efforts have been directed at maximising our investment in players and negotiating skilfully to get the best talent at the best price. Current Dutch, Russian and now, Australian internationals along with a proven and experienced Premier League centre half have replaced yes, an England centre half but also Van der Meyde, Castillo, Jacobsen and Nuno. It does feel like a summer well spent.

End of the day you can't deny the mistakes made during this summer, but when you consider that we went into the window trying to buy Senderos, Elm, Delph and Naughton and ended it with Distin, Bilyaletinov, Heitinga and Niell you have to be thankful that we acted late rather than acting early. I would prefer each of the players that we have now over each of the players originally mooted.

Pure cobblers from the man, but not surprised some think it's valid literature. Elstone said we over-spent, ok then how much by? A lot of smoke and mirrors, but like the Labour government there's no substance!

The increase in the wage bill will have taken a chunk out of Lescott money and the couple of quid we had before the lescott money. The people we have brought in have altered the wage structure within the club and that will have been taken out of what mney we had to spend on players.

Pure cobblers from the man, but not surprised some think it's valid literature. Elstone said we over-spent, ok then how much by? A lot of smoke and mirrors, but like the Labour government there's no substance!

Staying with the political reference, this is the typical opposition response to anything.

If he says nothing you moan that he's not talking to the fans.

If he explains it then you say he's not giving you figures. He's running a fucking company here! He doesn't give away figures like that. It's a legal minefield full of confidentiality and gentleman's agreements.

He's a CEO of a major company and you're just a minor consumer. I'm amazed he's said anything tbh, I thought that after they said nothing during the summer they weren't going to say anything but I'm pleasantly suprised.

The increase in the wage bill will have taken a chunk out of Lescott money and the couple of quid we had before the lescott money. The people we have brought in have altered the wage structure within the club and that will have been taken out of what mney we had to spend on players.

With ADVM, Valente and Lescott going, the wage bill has marginally increased as the three brought in I imagine are not on much more than the three departed. So that still doesn't give Elstone creditability about the budget.

Staying with the political reference, this is the typical opposition response to anything.

If he says nothing you moan that he's not talking to the fans.

If he explains it then you say he's not giving you figures. He's running a fucking company here! He doesn't give away figures like that. It's a legal minefield full of confidentiality and gentleman's agreements.

He's a CEO of a major company and you're just a minor consumer. I'm amazed he's said anything tbh, I thought that after they said nothing during the summer they weren't going to say anything but I'm pleasantly suprised.

Oh please, ok then if you have the answers then explain the summer events to us all at Everton? And there is a major difference between positive interaction with fans, and a letter that answers nothing.

I never said I had all the answers. I said in a slightly more polite tone to grow up and stop expecting him to detail the summer window minute-by-minute and figure-by-figure.

The wage budget needs to be forecasted for. We don't make enough to fully cover it without the TV money, so that's transfer money going. Signing on fees, Agent's fees, transfer tax etc. all account for more than the layman knows.

It's like when a club buys a player one year for £20m for then sells 3 years later for £25m and people honestly think they made a "profit"

With ADVM, Valente and Lescott going, the wage bill has marginally increased as the three brought in I imagine are not on much more than the three departed. So that still doesn't give Elstone creditability about the budget.

In fairness the people brought in are on a much bigger wage than previous players that have just left.

VDM was on 25k I believe. As was Nuno, and I think J.Lo was on 35k. Heitinga has come in on at least 40k, Distin is roughly 35k, Neill is 40k if press is to be believed and Bily is on 35k.

So we have taken around 85k off the wage bill which roughly equates to just under £4.5m in a year. The new players will equate to roughly £150k a week which is just under £8m a year. So that's an increase of around £3.5m, there will then be signing on fee's for the new players and the "loyalty" bonus paid to J.Lo (what a joke that is!)

You asked for figures and from a bit of looking around and basic math skills that is what I can deduce. £3.5m may not seem an awfuly large amount but for a club of our financial situation it is.

The figures for the players I have mentioned are rough figures based on numerous reports. The fact is that we began the summer with a small amount of players on salaries pushing past £35k, now a large majority of the squad are on thos figures. Pienaar and possibly Rodwell will also probebly be offered new big money contracts soon as well.

Anyone know what kind of figures players would get for a loyalty bonus? I know that it's City so there landscape is very different but Dunne got a £2m loyalty bonus! (one source stated £6m, but I cant see that being true!)

Edited by jamiemaher85

It's there for all to see, a grand old club with far more history, success, fan base than all of the other clubs around us being snapped up is waiting patiently for a sugar daddy to come in and rescue it. We are playing minor league in the transfer market and all the other teams and players know it, we couldn't secure Elm and Senderos (fee agreed - personal terms)- hardly blue chip players. It's amazing that Moyes has secured the players that he has.

We are never going to be run as a profitable business if we are to buy the types of players that will see us break the top 4 - so the choice is:

A: Stay as we are, Cheap and cheerful, hope for a few cup runs, maybe top 8 and sell the likes of Rodwell to Man U and Chelski to keep a transfer float once the player becomes disillusioned with not playing champions league.

B: Get the club sold to someone who has money to throw into it.. someone who can fund a transfer war chest which will satisfy the managers and top players ambitions. Break into the top 4 and start generating the type of income that has seen the current top 4 establish themselves as Champions league contenders year in, year out.

Does anyone actually believe someone with more money and financial ambition than Blue Bill has never sounded Mr Kenwright out?

Looking at the whole transfer window as a whole and the other teams around/above us, with the obvious exception of man city and or spurs, did anyone else spend a fortune???????????

Man u NO

Arsenal NO

Chelsea NO

Liverpool NO

Before anyone says I dont care about anyone else, its a very good indication that no ones flush with cash, even the teams that you would expect to be

Looking at the whole transfer window as a whole and the other teams around/above us, with the obvious exception of man city and or spurs, did anyone else spend a fortune???????????

Man u NO

Arsenal NO

Chelsea NO

Liverpool NO

Before anyone says I dont care about anyone else, its a very good indication that no ones flush with cash, even the teams that you would expect to be

The Shite spent £40M and Man Utd and Chelsea both spent nearly £20M so I would say they did spend a fortune!

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

The Shite spent £40M and Man Utd and Chelsea both spent nearly £20M so I would say they did spend a fortune!

Irrelevant...it's the net spend that counts.

Liverpool brought in £35m, ManU are plainly well in profit if you include the ladyboy sale and Chelsea (for them) spent petty cash.

im not oneto praise the board at all, but this summer, with our finances, they've done good.

Elstone told us when he got the job he would keep in touch with the fans, and he has. Been a fan of his from day one, and i hope he's still around when bill finally sells up. Hes a good guy, and hes trying very very hard. If anybody wants to question him just remember wyness and birch.

I think it's not the case of who spent how much - it's a case of how much did they need to spend to strengthen their squad adequately.

Man u NO - Sold Ronaldo and lost Tevez, bought in Valencia, Owen, Obertan and already have a massive squad - 52 players per position at least with Hargreaves coming back.

Arsenal NO - Sold Adebuyor and Toure - bought in Vermaelen and have an outragous number of youngsters coming through

Chelsea NO - big squad already, borught in zhirkov - £18m

Liverpool NO - lost alonso - brought in Johnson and Aquilaini to add to an already decent sized squad.

Everton: Struggled through last season having to play the same players with little rest. Injuries meant threadbare squad relied on youngsters with little or no premier league expreience sitting on the bench. Lost Valente, Castillo, Jacobsen and Lescott as senior players. Brought in: Billy, Heitinga, Distin and under the realisation that we are still threadbare Lucas Neill.

Yes we have strengthened in quality a little maybe, the damning fact remains is that our nearest rivals such as Villa and Spurs have strengthened what were already stronger squads than us.

If we are to continue to look to improve we need to get strength in depth. We are always 2 injuries away from a disaster - our first 11 is great, how often do the first 11 stay fit?

I applaud those who continue to look at the glass being half full - I wish I could. Fact is history has a way of repeating itself at this club. The only thing that keeps it positive is the work that Moyes and the boys do. We are being let down at a higher level.

Burning question: "How much is Everton up for sale for?"

Everton: Struggled through last season having to play the same players with little rest. Injuries meant threadbare squad relied on youngsters with little or no premier league expreience sitting on the bench. Lost Valente, Castillo, Jacobsen and Lescott as senior players. Brought in: Billy, Heitinga, Distin and under the realisation that we are still threadbare Lucas Neill.

Yes we have strengthened in quality a little maybe, the damning fact remains is that our nearest rivals such as Villa and Spurs have strengthened what were already stronger squads than us.

We finished 5th and made the FA Cup Final. Hardly strugeling is it?

Villa do not and did not have a stronger squad than us. Last season they only used 21 players, the least amount in the whole of the league. In the summer they have lost there captain (Laursen) and vice captain (Barry) and in fairness have not replaced with the same quality. We have more strength in depth than Villa do, and in fairness Liverpool do not have much depth to there squad. If, like us, they lost the spine of the team (Torres, Gerrard, Carragher) I just cant see who would step up for them.

Sorry but this just smacks of a PR smokescreen for the more gullible.

We spent jack crap until we got the Lescott money in. FACT.

Naughton and Delph we were outbid on and Senderos we couldn't agree a fee on which suggests we didn't have the money required to land those targets. We didn't get as far as negotiating a fee for Elm as he decided we weren't attractive enough.

So we missed out on all of our original targets which left the sale of Lescott inevitable and a last minute re-think of targets having agreed to sell him.

Any business would have a contingency/risk plan for such events - where was ours?

I agree that ultimately we have ended up with better players than those he claims were on the original target list but again we have a start to the season that's already left us 6 points behind Villa and Spurs.

Personally, I don't think it's good enough for a large business such as Everton.

Edited by SharpysVolley

I think it's not the case of who spent how much - it's a case of how much did they need to spend to strengthen their squad adequately.

Man u NO - Sold Ronaldo and lost Tevez, bought in Valencia, Owen, Obertan and already have a massive squad - 52 players per position at least with Hargreaves coming back.

Arsenal NO - Sold Adebuyor and Toure - bought in Vermaelen and have an outragous number of youngsters coming through

Chelsea NO - big squad already, borught in zhirkov - £18m

Liverpool NO - lost alonso - brought in Johnson and Aquilaini to add to an already decent sized squad.

If we are to continue to look to improve we need to get strength in depth. We are always 2 injuries away from a disaster - our first 11 is great, how often do the first 11 stay fit?

I applaud those who continue to look at the glass being half full - I wish I could. Fact is history has a way of repeating itself at this club. The only thing that keeps it positive is the work that Moyes and the boys do. We are being let down at a higher level.

Burning question: "How much is Everton up for sale for?"

Unfortunately I think Evertonians have a habit of putting themselves and the club down.

Do these other teams really have a big squad??? If man u get a few injuries they are depending on reserves and younsters like the rest of us. If liverpool loose someone like Torres or Gerrard, who replaces them. I think its all a bit of a myth and if only people believed in the team as much as they did in these idiological hurdles then maybe we will "stuggle through" this season and finish 5th again and be in a cup final, something I'm sure many other clubs are aspiring to

We finished 5th and made the FA Cup Final. Hardly strugeling is it?

Villa do not and did not have a stronger squad than us. Last season they only used 21 players, the least amount in the whole of the league. In the summer they have lost there captain (Laursen) and vice captain (Barry) and in fairness have not replaced with the same quality. We have more strength in depth than Villa do, and in fairness Liverpool do not have much depth to there squad. If, like us, they lost the spine of the team (Torres, Gerrard, Carragher) I just cant see who would step up for them.

spot on. just an addition, the other big spending teams are very similar to last year, sunderland/spurs/city, and they acheived what last year? to be fair, this year Citeh and Spurs seem to be living up to the money spent but my point i suppose is this: money is nice, but whats wins games is team spirit and a good manager. i will be very surprised to see sunderland/spurs/city continuing their good streaks through out the season.

im sure this same arguement cropped up last year when we had a stuttering start....

The quality of our squad is a hell of alot better this season then last, we lost 3 players who never played and brought in 3 STARTING xi players.

alright we sold Lescott and brought in 3 players, tbh i'd reather have the 3 players.

When Moyes joined Everton we had ZERO resale value on players, our squad was old an worthless, Now its not, Each player has a decent price tag now. If we have to sell a player to bring in a few more then so be it.

Lescott wanted to leave,not "because were a team going backwords" but because City offered him MASSIVE money. That the only reason he left, otherwise why would he of signed a 5 year deal last season?

The end of the day its a business and all business have to make money, by selling products, Everton brought Lescott for 4mil(i think) an sold him for 20mil more. With that money we brought in a class left winger and two very good defenders. We brought in far better an more polished players then we were going to an had.

Senderos vs Distan Distan has played constantly for the past 2-3 years without missing a game, Senderos hasn't played a game for over a year. Distan Wins

Elm vs Bily Elm is a unproven kid who spent 3 weeks in a Farrari dealership an brought a skoda(in my opinion) Bily is a proven international players with 20 odd caps for Russia. Billy wins

Naughton vs Heit Naughton is again a unprove kid, who can't get in the spurs team. Heits is a proven international player.

We may of started looking at good players, but we ended up with great players an all it cost was one GREEDY basterd.

The quality of our squad is a hell of alot better this season then last, we lost 3 players who never played and brought in 3 STARTING xi players.

alright we sold Lescott and brought in 3 players, tbh i'd reather have the 3 players.

When Moyes joined Everton we had ZERO resale value on players, our squad was old an worthless, Now its not, Each player has a decent price tag now. If we have to sell a player to bring in a few more then so be it.

Lescott wanted to leave,not "because were a team going backwords" but because City offered him MASSIVE money. That the only reason he left, otherwise why would he of signed a 5 year deal last season?

The end of the day its a business and all business have to make money, by selling products, Everton brought Lescott for 4mil(i think) an sold him for 20mil more. With that money we brought in a class left winger and two very good defenders. We brought in far better an more polished players then we were going to an had.

Senderos vs Distan Distan has played constantly for the past 2-3 years without missing a game, Senderos hasn't played a game for over a year. Distan Wins

Elm vs Bily Elm is a unproven kid who spent 3 weeks in a Farrari dealership an brought a skoda(in my opinion) Bily is a proven international players with 20 odd caps for Russia. Billy wins

Naughton vs Heit Naughton is again a unprove kid, who can't get in the spurs team. Heits is a proven international player.

We may of started looking at good players, but we ended up with great players an all it cost was one GREEDY basterd.

Well said