IGNORED

Jose Baxter Arrested

Bill

I think he's playing for the reserves tonight.

Not in the squad according to the OS, though they've not named the team.

Nash, Coleman, Bidwell, Peterlin, Nsiala, McCarten, Forshaw, Akpan, Agard, Gosling, Davies, Arnoux, Thompson, Kinsella, McAleny.

0-0 at half time.

Agree.

Most kids having a kick around would love to be in Baxter's shoes.

"A little cannabis never hurt anyone." Whatever, can't believe someone posted that crap.

Seriously? What planet are you living on? Cannabis has been proven in countless studies to be order of magnitudes safer than alcohol or tobacco. Just because capitalist interests managed to smear it so effectively is no reason for decent intelligent people to set those who enjoy it aside as pariahs.

Maybe coming from Canada alters my view, but I was certainly not under the impression that the UK held such reactionary views towards it. Ho hum.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=gZ7LSp-0GpOerAKTi6z8BQ&q=the+union&hl=en#

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/why-i-give-my-9-year-old-pot-part-ii

As to the second charge I just can't take seriously the notion that a 17 year old professional footballer is involved in counterfeiting. Ludicrous.

Seriously? What planet are you living on? Cannabis has been proven in countless studies to be order of magnitudes safer than alcohol or tobacco. Just because capitalist interests managed to smear it so effectively is no reason for decent intelligent people to set those who enjoy it aside as pariahs.

Maybe coming from Canada alters my view, but I was certainly not under the impression that the UK held such reactionary views towards it. Ho hum.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=gZ7LSp-0GpOerAKTi6z8BQ&q=the+union&hl=en#

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/why-i-give-my-9-year-old-pot-part-ii

As to the second charge I just can't take seriously the notion that a 17 year old professional footballer is involved in counterfeiting. Ludicrous.

Alcohol is perfectly safe in moderation, while tobacco and cannabis are not.

Cannabinoids have been proven multiple times to trigger latent genetic mental problems such as Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia.

At any rate, if it's true then he's a fucking waster who doesn't deserve the chance Everton have given him.

Alcohol is perfectly safe in moderation, while tobacco and cannabis are not.

Cannabinoids have been proven multiple times to trigger latent genetic mental problems such as Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia.

At any rate, if it's true then he's a fucking waster who doesn't deserve the chance Everton have given him.

Seriously? That's your concern? Have you ever looked at the numbers for deaths related to the substances that people consume? More people are killed by Aspirin every year than by 'cannabinoids'

http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30

--

Acute effects while under the influence can include euphoria, anxiety, temporary short-term memory loss,[1] and circulation effects which may increase risks of heart attacks and strokes. However, chronic use is not associated with some cardiovascular risk factors such as blood triglyceride levels and blood pressure, as indicated in a longitudinal study.[2] The evidence of long-term effects on memory is preliminary and hindered by confounding factors.[2][3] Concerns have been raised about the potential for long-term cannabis consumption to increase risk for schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and major depression,[4][5] but the ultimate conclusions on these factors are disputed.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis

For a substance that has been available and in use for possibly 10,000 years those risk factors are about as minimal as any I can imagine. Name any prescription medication that has less severe side effects.

Just saying.

I suppose this isn't really the venue for this debate, but I certainly don't want to see the lad slandered over nothing.

Now if he is actually involved in counterfeiting money that's something else completely. But I have to imagine that even at 17 he's got to be on better wages than any of us so this just makes no sense to me. Besides, is the Bank of England, or our Federal Reserve any less a thief. Me thinks not.

Maybe we should just wait until we have a better idea of what happened. My guess is some shoddy reporting. Maybe one of the older men was a family friend/uncle etc and Jose was just in the car etc. At any rate, I don't see the need to jump all over the lad on the basis of this story.

Seriously? That's your concern? Have you ever looked at the numbers for deaths related to the substances that people consume? More people are killed by Aspirin every year than by 'cannabinoids'

--

Acute effects while under the influence can include euphoria, anxiety, temporary short-term memory loss,[1] and circulation effects which may increase risks of heart attacks and strokes. However, chronic use is not associated with some cardiovascular risk factors such as blood triglyceride levels and blood pressure, as indicated in a longitudinal study.[2] The evidence of long-term effects on memory is preliminary and hindered by confounding factors.[2][3] Concerns have been raised about the potential for long-term cannabis consumption to increase risk for schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and major depression,[4][5] but the ultimate conclusions on these factors are disputed.[6][7]

For a substance that has been available and in use for possibly 10,000 years those risk factors are about as minimal as any I can imagine. Name any prescription medication that has less severe side effects.

Just saying.

I suppose this isn't really the venue for this debate, but I certainly don't want to see the lad slandered over nothing.

Now if he is actually involved in counterfeiting money that's something else completely. But I have to imagine that even at 17 he's got to be on better wages than any of us so this just makes no sense to me. Besides, is the Bank of England, or our Federal Reserve any less a thief. Me thinks not.

Maybe we should just wait until we have a better idea of what happened. My guess is some shoddy reporting. Maybe one of the older men was a family friend/uncle etc and Jose was just in the car etc. At any rate, I don't see the need to jump all over the lad on the basis of this story.

You can get cannabis on prescription too. Most medical professionals will also tell you if we discovered paracetamol tomorrow it would be prescription only.

None of that is important however as it is an illegal substance that, if in quantities sufficient to be charged with intent to supply, requires you to deal with a very serious criminal underworld that funds gangland crime and terrorism. And as an Irish person I can name you a number of people who are well known in my general area as cannabis dealers who are fronts for the IRA.

It is unbecoming of a person who has been given such an incredible opportunity. He shouldn't even be talking to these people, let alone being out with them.

Most medical professionals will also tell you if we discovered paracetamol tomorrow it would be prescription only.

And alcohol would never be legal.

"OK guys I've discovered this great new drug....it'll kill 8,724* every year but it's great fun in moderation!"

"Brilliant....let's sell it in supermarkets!"

*the reality is that it's a lot higher than that, up to five or six times higher but that's the government figure for 2007.

On the cannabis thing....it's a question of quantity and intent. If it was 100 kilos he's in the shite....if it was an eighth for himself he wouldn't have been arrested.

Time will tell, bit pointless to speculate until we know more.

Yet we don't even know who 'these people' are. I'm just urging restraint until we know more.

Think every reply's been prefaced with, "If guilty" hasn't it? Should have been.

Calm down everyone! Baxter has hired the same defence lawyer that Gerrard had.He will probably recieve an award for tackling that counterfeit gang single handedly, only moments after removing cannabis from a gang of hooded teenages!If only he had removed someone's tooth in the process, that usually helps!

Seriously though I fall into the group who are thinking that whilst this may not be the crime of the century, if guilty he has let Everton down.

I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent reason for how he was caught up in this and that will be presented by his defence. As with the Gerrard situation, it's not what you did in some cases, it's who you are and your "importance". Same went with Cantona, could you imagine SAF sticking up for Djemba Djemba or Kleberson in the way he did with Eric?

Sad thing is, if he was your average talent he may not get the support he may well be afforded and the club may wash their hands of him. Everyone makes mistakes at some stage, let's hope his first alleged big one isn't his downfall. Still a young lad, and whilst we still don't know the details, there will be an element of learning to be taken from this event. He could do with reading Mark Wards book...

A lot of young players do tend to get in some form of trouble when they are younger, it seems they are unable to appreciate what they have and what will become of them if they lose it. Nothing is proven, innocent till proven guilty stands for all, footballer or not.

Edited by Hafnia2

--

Just saying.

Right on brother! Have to say I'm with you all the way on this one, the amount of pisshead footballers who have drank their careers away and STILL got the backing of fans, i think to slaughter a kid over a bit of weed is more than harsh. And as for the law, believe me, they'll automatically nick you for possession with intent to supply if you have anything more than a couple of joints worth on you... and who knows if it was even his, if it was found on someone he was with at a house or something that's an automatic arrest, the bizzies dont stand around asking who it belongs to.

That said, the kid should know better - maybe growing up in Bootle he's known a fair few shady characters, but football has given him a chance to do something better with his life than be a scally on the streets selling dope and ripping people off. You'd just think he should have the sense to be a bit more careful and not risk his career over something so stupid - then again, i guess footballers and brains don't always go together

And alcohol would never be legal.

"OK guys I've discovered this great new drug....it'll kill 8,724* every year but it's great fun in moderation!"

"Brilliant....let's sell it in supermarkets!"

*the reality is that it's a lot higher than that, up to five or six times higher but that's the government figure for 2007.

On the cannabis thing....it's a question of quantity and intent. If it was 100 kilos he's in the shite....if it was an eighth for himself he wouldn't have been arrested.

Time will tell, bit pointless to speculate until we know more.

Think every reply's been prefaced with, "If guilty" hasn't it? Should have been.

Yeah he would have done - it's Class B again, automatic arrest no matter what the quantity

Very disapointing IF true. A sure fire way to start pissing your carear away before it's even begun. It could be a real shame and a real disapointment, then again it could all be a big load of nothing so i'll reserve judgement.

As for people stating about Cannabis, even though it's class B again now police will often still only give a warning if its a small amount for personal use (This is not from personal experience, I work in a night club sometimes and alot of people get caught with stuff on them s i see on a fairly regular basis how police decided to act in this situation, we could have been arrested if he kicked up a fuss though). If the lad is smoking weed then i've lost alot of respect for him, sure alot of 17 year old kids decided to spend there time doing it (I wasted a good few years doing it, and they where years wasted, and thats not a pun). But this kid is supposed to be a professional sportsman, and smoking cannabis is a stupid stupid thing to do.

Very disapointing IF true. A sure fire way to start pissing your carear away before it's even begun. It could be a real shame and a real disapointment, then again it could all be a big load of nothing so i'll reserve judgement.

As for people stating about Cannabis, even though it's class B again now police will often still only give a warning if its a small amount for personal use (This is not from personal experience, I work in a night club sometimes and alot of people get caught with stuff on them s i see on a fairly regular basis how police decided to act in this situation, we could have been arrested if he kicked up a fuss though). If the lad is smoking weed then i've lost alot of respect for him, sure alot of 17 year old kids decided to spend there time doing it (I wasted a good few years doing it, and they where years wasted, and thats not a pun). But this kid is supposed to be a professional sportsman, and smoking cannabis is a stupid stupid thing to do.

May not of been a pun but made me laugh

Does anyone know if he has passed his driving test yet?

I reckon it may be that he's been driving someone round whos had a pocket full of weed and counterfeit notes, and he's been arrested as well as the two other guys as they were all in the same car - probably driven by him.

And to the guy who said cannabanoids have been shown to cause mental illness, thats actually only partly true - they've only been shown to bring mental illness on in those already predisposed to it.

Case of wrong place, wrong time? They guys in question could have been relatives, uncles etc. He may have been there in person when the raid took place,of course they're gonna arrest him. Playing last night however makes you think, was he really a major part in it? Everton really wouldnt tollerate it, i can assure you!

• 6 months later...