106 replies to this topic

#41 EFC fan in oz

EFC fan in oz

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:13

Johnsons a great signing and well 8.5 million is probally justified by his goalscoring record for Palace and the pace he'll bring to the team plus the value of other strikers . Just watched a video of him and he's pretty damm quick will leave our ageing centre back partnership for dead in training and he's a great finisher.

As for CraccerC saying that Cahill isn't good enough i have to disagree with you and it's not because i live in Australia or anything like that. Cahill will give 100% every game and is a great box to box player who will run until his legs drop off. He can score goals, is a decent passer and he can tackle. I think he was our best player this season in the opta stats no mean feat since he didn't really hit any proper form this year plus he had Australia commitments. Personally i don't think he's anything other than a 1st team starter and is an asset to the team and the club. You just have to look at the fuss the Aussies have made about him being fit to see how they rate him and you won't find a better player for less than 5 million which we really don't have to spend in midfield. To me the only position in midfield which needs to be filled is on the left wing and definitly not changing anything in the centre, we just don't have the money.

#42 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:00

i dont think hes a good passer or tackler really... i like him but in a 4-4-2 i dont think he fits...

i think he displays better attiributes as a striker ... i means u look what he does in midfield... runs a lot, no particular great movement or passing or ball winnin.... gets into the box and suddenly his movement is amazing ... not to compare too much but when you look at arteta there we have a player that has wat u want in ur midfield, they are very different players though

ideally if u want a good team in the formation were trying u need to be good in the center , defensive mid needs to be able to fill the gaps drop deep collect the ball and pas it around, nevilel isnt good at that at all..... then in cahills role u need a more creative player and soem 1 to pass the ball, but he doesnt really fulfil that ....

hes is 1 of the best we have, i jus dont think we have been nor will we play to his strengths this season, and that his goal scoring talent will go to waste...

if he has a good world cup and sum1 wer to offer nethin like 6 million i think tht would be great business...

also you comment about a left mid, i think right is more important, weve got vdm and kilbane at the moment as shit as kilbane is, if vdm gets fit wer sorted, right we have no1...ossie isnt really a right sided player

#43 BristolToffee

BristolToffee

Anders Limpar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:48

I personally think the £8.5m has been well spent. I have watched him play for Palace several times and he is very fast and finds the net from even the tighest of angles. With regards to the penalties arguement, as people have rightly stated he won most of them!

From what i've read on the BBC the deal is £5m upfront, with the rest perfromance related, so covers our backs a little.

However I think a lot of people are fogetting about the effect it will have on Beattie. Beattie has had to change his style to playing upfront on his own, and imo done a good job. In the past however he has performed past when linking up with a fast forward. BT is good at winning and holding up the ball, whilst AJ is good at running and opening defences up. Together I feel they will create a lot of opportunities for each other. I might be wrong, but i think BT was at his best when partnered up with Kevin Phillips.

#44 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:05

I personally think the £8.5m has been well spent.  I have watched him play for Palace several times and he is very fast and finds the net from even the tighest of angles.  With regards to the penalties arguement, as people have rightly stated he won most of them!

From what i've read on the BBC the deal is £5m upfront, with the rest perfromance related, so covers our backs a little.

However I think a lot of people are fogetting about the effect it will have on Beattie.  Beattie has had to change his style to playing upfront on his own, and imo done a good job. In the past however he has performed past when linking up with a fast forward.  BT is good at winning and holding up the ball, whilst AJ is good at running and opening defences up. Together I feel they will create a lot of opportunities for each other.  I might be wrong, but i think BT was at his best when partnered up with Kevin Phillips.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, its harder for a stiker on his own, the defence has less to worry about. And if they now have AJ to worry about it will give BT more of an oppportunity

One thing is for sure. Its a very positive step

#45 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:09

^true , also makes things easier for runs from midfield

#46 java2001e

java2001e

Duncan Ferguson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:24

weve gotta new goalie, new striker and new defender if huth signs.

if we turnaround the negative goal difference that weve had for the last two seasons it'll prove that its money well spent.

i'm really looking forward the next season. i think it could be special!

#47 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:36

Exactly, its harder for a stiker on his own, the defence has less to worry about. And if they now have AJ to worry about it will give BT more of an oppportunity

One thing is for sure. Its a very positive step

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The defenders will be wondering who the hell they're supposed to double, whoever they leave with one man is going to cause them trouble

#48 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:42

AJ HAS PASSED HIS MEDICAL AND AGREED TERMS ON A 4 YEAR DEAL!!!!!!!!

#49 Lower Gwladys

Lower Gwladys

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:45

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does it say this :blink:

#50 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:47

Jordan just said it now on Sky Sports News, he was talking about losing AJ and said hed just heard AJ had passed a medical and he wished him luck at Everton and expects him to do well for us

#51 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:47

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You realy need to stop that without a link :blink:

#52 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:50

You realy need to stop that without a link  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no fucking link, it was live on Sky Sports News

#53 Lower Gwladys

Lower Gwladys

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:04

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Fair Enough

#54 Guest_fozzie22_*

Guest_fozzie22_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:04

We're paying nowhere near 8.6 mill up front for him,no doubt it's an apperance/goals related deal..

Amazing how BK can spin things.

#55 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:06

am actually lookin 4ward to this a bit now.....
i stil lthink it was too much, jus cant wait for new season i love new signings and hope to see things workin well

#56 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:14

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

easy tiger Posted Image

#57 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:21

^ hahahaha

#58 Mac

Mac

Hang the Kopites one by one on the banks of the royal blue Mers

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:33

With all due respect to all concerned, I will wait until I see him paraded in front of the press with a shirt with his name and number on it. I have been an Evertonian too long to accept things at face value.

ATB

Mac

#59 toffeplus

toffeplus

Duncan Ferguson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:35

I think he is slightly over priced at 8.5 mil but even so I think he will be a good signing and as stated by a few other people he will help bt game as well so if we can snap up a cb or 2 and a left sided midfielder then i think we will have a decent season

#60 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:39

With all due respect to all concerned, I will wait until I see him paraded in front of the press with a shirt with his name and number on it. I have been an Evertonian too long to accept things at face value.

ATB

Mac

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats me at the mo' but i'm like a kid on Christmas eve, i keep logging on in hope that the EFC site has a picture of our man wearing his shirt.

I'v said all morning to the lads in work that i'v gota see him in the shirt before i'l believe it :unsure:

#61 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:40

Just been txted that he has passed the medical as well

Hes not over priced if he bangs in 20 goals next seson

Look at the RS record signing (CISSE) is he worth 14 million :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#62 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:42

Its all confirmed on SNN now

#63 thebluenose

thebluenose

ALEX:Immortal Justice Lead Guitarist and backing Vocalist

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:45

bbc north west today has confirmed it as well. but nothing on the official site

#64 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:49

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/5026130.stm

I know, maybe there all celebrating and forgot to let the fans know

#65 Bluepips

Bluepips

Joe Parkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:58

YEEES cum on what a sIgning, 20+ GOALS next season

#66 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 13:03

http://www.evertonfc...p?page_id=10151

On the official site now

#67 Adam

Adam

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 13:22

And they say its an £8.6m move

#68 Ola

Ola

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 13:23

http://www.evertonfc...p?page_id=10151

On the official site now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: some of you dont half panic, the lad said hes coming to bt then we pay 8.6 mil ,then he passes medical today signs 4 year deal 40.000 a week whats the problem we need a striker and we have one a good one ,you watch huth will be next ,then what will you have to moan about then am sure you lads will find somthing :P ps i bet yobo goes to the gunners ive heard wispers wenger wants him to replace cambell ;)

#69 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 13:45

And they say its an £8.6m move

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Simon Jordan corrected the person on SNN who said it was £8.5million but he told them it was actually £8.6million

#70 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 13:53

The official site says AJ has signed a contract to keep him at Everton till 2011 - so thats a 5 year deal and not the 4 year deal reported earlier?

#71 Ola

Ola

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 14:09

The official site says AJ has signed a contract to keep him at Everton till 2011 - so thats a 5 year deal and not the 4 year deal reported earlier?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: if thats tue its even better i love being blue :D

#72 thebluenose

thebluenose

ALEX:Immortal Justice Lead Guitarist and backing Vocalist

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 14:12

well so far we have signed a decent keeper (who played really well against venezuala) and up and coming youngster and a good striker ( i now change my views on Johnson after seeing a video of his best goals)

cmon a centre back and yobo to sign a new deal and were sorted

#73 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 14:16

am excited but ill wait to see how he does before i get excited as u lot, still have some doubts

and to bluepips 'YEEES cum on what a sIgning, 20+ GOALS next season'

i think thts a bit optimistic tbh, giv a year to settle and a few more signings , but i think 15 is more realistic aim.

#74 Ola

Ola

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 14:45

am excited but ill wait to see how he does before i get excited as u lot, still have some doubts

and to bluepips 'YEEES cum on what a sIgning, 20+ GOALS next season'

i think thts a bit optimistic tbh, giv a year to settle and a few more signings , but i think 15 is more realistic aim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that will do for me craccer well this season coming anyway :lol:

#75 EVA

EVA

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 15:48

BT is okay as he himself got 10+ goals.

Jimmy Mac is weaker than AJ. If Jimmy got 6 or 7, I expect AJ to get 10+ as well, given (1) he is English and should not have probelm in settling down; (2) good friednship w/BT may bolster their linking and partnership.

It is just too early to comment if the price tag of AJ is over-rated or not. We may have the answer by the end of next season. I suggest we Evertonians stop debating this on the basis of hypothetical scenarios. The price tag of player to certain extend is quite subjective.

Perhaps try get behind AJ, give him the cheers and support. Our support will definitely help him to prove to us he does worth 8.5M. I believe!!!

Would you guys believe that?

#76 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:04

i hope i dont die durign summer... i wanna see next season

#77 BLUE-TAC

BLUE-TAC

Duncan McKenzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:06

Number of goals (for BT & AJ) depends a lot on who would take the penalties. Either would do for me, they're both great peno takers. How about AJ does the diving and BT does the rest! :P

#78 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:16

Number of goals (for BT & AJ) depends a lot on who would take the penalties. Either would do for me, they're both great peno takers. How about AJ does the diving and BT does the rest!  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beattie had one saved (scored the rebound) and hit the underside of the bar with another, dodgey penalty taker IMO!

#79 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,218 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:30

Id try Johnson out first and if he misses a few then BT can have them back

#80 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward