IGNORED

Neill At Centre Back?

nogs

I can forgive Yobo's uncultured flailing boot diverting a crap speculative shot into his own net, but when he gave away the ball in his own box to Gerrard, i wanted him hung, drawn and quartered. Having had a night to calm down, I'll now settle for him being dropped immediately. His head has gone, he's a liability at the moment and needs some time to sort himself out. Distin's not much better, but not sure we can muster up two replacement CB's right now...

And yes, I reckon Neill should be the man to go in there for Yobo. Not much good for Athens i know, but it's pretty clear that Yobo and Distin don't have any leadership qualities between whatsoever, there's no organisation between thm, no talking, no steel. Neill offers experience, leadership, grit and determination - it might not be his position, but let's face it, he couldn't do any worse, and we can't just keep throwing points away coz of bad defending like we are. Heitinga is the other obvious option, but I think he's doing a decent job covering for Pip in CM at the moment.

I can forgive Yobo's uncultured flailing boot diverting a crap speculative shot into his own net, but when he gave away the ball in his own box to Gerrard, i wanted him hung, drawn and quartered. Having had a night to calm down, I'll now settle for him being dropped immediately. His head has gone, he's a liability at the moment and needs some time to sort himself out. Distin's not much better, but not sure we can muster up two replacement CB's right now...

And yes, I reckon Neill should be the man to go in there for Yobo. Not much good for Athens i know, but it's pretty clear that Yobo and Distin don't have any leadership qualities between whatsoever, there's no organisation between thm, no talking, no steel. Neill offers experience, leadership, grit and determination - it might not be his position, but let's face it, he couldn't do any worse, and we can't just keep throwing points away coz of bad defending like we are. Heitinga is the other obvious option, but I think he's doing a decent job covering for Pip in CM at the moment.

I wouldnt be surprised if Moyes drops Yobo anyway

I heard a rumour that they had a falling out in Benfica and it was noticed yesterday that when Cahill was substituted he tried to give the armband to Yobo who refused to take it and was then subsequently substituted himself

So it could well be that not all is right between the 2

Yobo was injured, hence his substitution. He's not travelled to Athens due to said injury, and with no Heitinga or Neill for Europe we may get to see Rodwell at CB (who has travelled), but that fills me no confidence either :unsure:.

I said before the derby that I'd rather Neill play CB at the expense of one of our clowns (preferably Distin) so I'd be more than happy for that to happen. If Yobo's injury keeps him out at the weekend against Spurs it may happen.

Yobo was injured, hence his substitution. He's not travelled to Athens due to said injury, and with no Heitinga or Neill for Europe we may get to see Rodwell at CB (who has travelled), but that fills me no confidence either :unsure:.

I said before the derby that I'd rather Neill play CB at the expense of one of our clowns (preferably Distin) so I'd be more than happy for that to happen. If Yobo's injury keeps him out at the weekend against Spurs it may happen.

;)

Hmmm imagine Joey having an "injury"

He certainly never seemed to be carrying a knock before he went off

From where I was sitting he did, and everyone around me was commenting that he was injured as well mate.

Well fair enough maybe I just didnt notice it from where I was sat but I did notice him snub the armband as did a few of my mates who were sat at the opposite end of the pitch.

There may be nothing in the rumour about him having a fall out with Moyse but the fact he is meant to be the vice captain and yet Cahill is wearing the armband doesnt help matters and I think his form since Benfica has also addaed fuel to it

Heitinga is suspended for the Spurs game

Plus Im not sure Moyes will want to take out probably his best midfielder unless Pip was back, which he wont be. Id certainly give Neill a try at CB (does he play there for Australia??) as I cant believe he could be much worse than the current partnership.

With regards to the Yobo/Distin combo, I noticed on sunday that Distin likes to follow the attacker quite a bit and pull out of the line. Sometimes its because someone drops deep or sometimes its in cover for Baines. When this happens Yobo doesnt cover leaving a massive gap between the 2. Normally you would expect the other CB to drop a little deeper and move over slightly or call in a midfielder to cover. A couple of times Liverpool exploited this gap (I remember one Stevie G shot early on off the top of my head) but Im not sure whether thats what Moyes wants him to do (with Yobo meant to be covering) or whether Distin is doing it off his own back. I fairly sure it Jags didnt do it, but maybe Lescott did??

From where I was sitting he did, and everyone around me was commenting that he was injured as well mate.

Lol It would appear Im not the only one who didnt notice Yobo was injurd!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/12/01/nigel-martyn-everton-defender-joseph-yobo-has-bouncebackability-100252-25292377/

Plus Im not sure Moyes will want to take out probably his best midfielder unless Pip was back, which he wont be. Id certainly give Neill a try at CB (does he play there for Australia??) as I cant believe he could be much worse than the current partnership.

Yeah he's played at CB for Australia for the last five or so years and he's been solid as a rock really. I actually rate him higher at CB than at RB, and he's got the great leadership we desperately need at the back right now.

he cant play till the next stage if we are still in it that is...which is looking a bit ominus at the moment.

Well now where through id like to to see a pairing of either Jonny/Jags or Neill/Jags. Because i dont have faith in either Yobo or Distan! Both of them have no leardership what so ever. I know Yobo has been a good servant for us but ive never rated him hes just to prone to mistakes. Yes hes quick and powerfull but compared to jags he's no where near the same quality. I remember he got injured last time and we had Lescott and Jags in defence an we was solid. I hope this new injury will give Moeys a chance to let either Jonny or Neill to partner Distan i know Distan aint the best but i think he defends alot better than Yobo! Only time will tell.

yobo needs a mouth next to him, to keep his concentration up. distan wouldn't even be premiership standard player IMO if he weren't left footed. reads the game like he's been poked in the eye and jus follows the blur of the ball past him, cant keep a defensive line to save his life, it's shockin how awful he is.

Well now where through id like to to see a pairing of either Jonny/Jags or Neill/Jags. Because i dont have faith in either Yobo or Distan! Both of them have no leardership what so ever. I know Yobo has been a good servant for us but ive never rated him hes just to prone to mistakes. Yes hes quick and powerfull but compared to jags he's no where near the same quality. I remember he got injured last time and we had Lescott and Jags in defence an we was solid. I hope this new injury will give Moeys a chance to let either Jonny or Neill to partner Distan i know Distan aint the best but i think he defends alot better than Yobo! Only time will tell.

Forget the football. The bird on the right with the banner. Woooooahhhh.

yobo needs a mouth next to him, to keep his concentration up. distan wouldn't even be premiership standard player IMO if he weren't left footed. reads the game like he's been poked in the eye and just follows the blur of the ball past him, cant keep a defensive line to save his life, it's shocking how awful he is.

Yeah I completely agree with the 1st bit. When Jags gets back, and maybe even Neville to some extent I think his performances will improve.

I don't agree with the Distan opinion though. He is a quality player but he also needs someone else to keep him in check. He does push out of the line however, I believe Moyes must give him the license to do it, because surely otherwise, he would get a bollocking and not do it again. At the end of the day Moyes and Distan are no mugs, its something we obviously work on, although I think Distan may take it too far. I pretty sure Lescott also used to step out of the line, but then again positionally I wouldn't rate him that highly either.

I dont see wy you guys seem to dislike Distin so much I think he is a good player and hes just having trouble connecting with yobo.

im with you, i think hes been a good signing. his first few games he was brilliant imo, its yobo ive not been impressed with. Distin has been the talker at the back since he arrived, but if hes playing scared that yobos gunna make a mistake it cant help.

I think we have seen today why we don't want Neill at centre back he was rubbish today. His defending for the second goal was shocking.

Think it's a little harsh to judge him on one game against a team (and strike force) bang in form when he's in an untried pair with a right back :mellow: .

I think we have seen today why we don't want Neill at centre back he was rubbish today. His defending for the second goal was shocking.

Wasn't his brightest moment. But he needs to be center back. Hes been Australias best player in the position for the past 5 years with Cahill. I'd pick him over Distin and Yobo any day of the week!