IGNORED

Rooney On Evertontv

Romey 1878

I've read an awful lot into the whole Rooney saga, the bottomline is that we needed to sell him to stay afloat, end of matter. Sure the lad has reacted badly at times which you would expect given the initial outpouring of anger over the deal, and the hatred he faced. I do feel that the club could have made it alot smoother by stating that he was going to be sold no matter what. The lad was a pawn, he wanted to play football and it was worked at a high level to cash in on him. Do not be under any illusions about that, he had just come back from almost single handedly running the show at the Euro's and we had no media plans to use him for the next season!

As if at the age of 18 he was greedy enough to demand a move for money, the lad had all he ever needed, a bit of dosh, a nice girlfriend, playing for his club. The club should have stated that he was sold because the money was the reason. He no doubt wants to play for the club again, he has almost satisfied his domestic need for medals. I know someone who works for the club at a decent level, at the time of the transfer he stated he thought Rooney would play for us again... I am starting to sense that.

End of the day, we were not in the right place to keep a talent like his, now?.... maybe, let's see what happpens with Rodwell.

I've read an awful lot into the whole Rooney saga, the bottomline is that we needed to sell him to stay afloat, end of matter. Sure the lad has reacted badly at times which you would expect given the initial outpouring of anger over the deal, and the hatred he faced. I do feel that the club could have made it alot smoother by stating that he was going to be sold no matter what. The lad was a pawn, he wanted to play football and it was worked at a high level to cash in on him. Do not be under any illusions about that, he had just come back from almost single handedly running the show at the Euro's and we had no media plans to use him for the next season!

As if at the age of 18 he was greedy enough to demand a move for money, the lad had all he ever needed, a bit of dosh, a nice girlfriend, playing for his club. The club should have stated that he was sold because the money was the reason. He no doubt wants to play for the club again, he has almost satisfied his domestic need for medals. I know someone who works for the club at a decent level, at the time of the transfer he stated he thought Rooney would play for us again... I am starting to sense that.

End of the day, we were not in the right place to keep a talent like his, now?.... maybe, let's see what happpens with Rodwell.

I dont really know where to begin with disagreeing with you!

Rooney was sold because Rooney wanted to go end of. There was no undrehand plot by the board or Moyse to get rid of him, he was offered a very lucrative contract to stay that would have made him the best payed player in the clubs history .Moyse even went on record as saying he was a future captain of the club and that he wanted to build a side around him

I can understand why he wanted to go and to a certain extent I dont blame him but to say that he was a pawn is absurd and bordering on the ridiculous, in fact no it is ridiculous

The fact that it worked out well for the club is by the by,. the fact of the matter is he had his head turned at the Euros and he turned his back on the club. I did have sympathy for him but that all dissapereared the moment he kissed his United badge to taunt the Everton fans

I dont resent him for wanting to go on to bigger and better things, just like I dont resent Lescott, but to imply he is the victim is beyond belief

I dont really know where to begin with disagreeing with you!

Rooney was sold because Rooney wanted to go end of. There was no undrehand plot by the board or Moyse to get rid of him, he was offered a very lucrative contract to stay that would have made him the best payed player in the clubs history .Moyse even went on record as saying he was a future captain of the club and that he wanted to build a side around him

I can understand why he wanted to go and to a certain extent I dont blame him but to say that he was a pawn is absurd and bordering on the ridiculous, in fact no it is ridiculous

The fact that it worked out well for the club is by the by,. the fact of the matter is he had his head turned at the Euros and he turned his back on the club. I did have sympathy for him but that all dissapereared the moment he kissed his United badge to taunt the Everton fans

I dont resent him for wanting to go on to bigger and better things, just like I dont resent Lescott, but to imply he is the victim is beyond belief

:thumbsup_anim:

I certainly wouldn't say he was a victim, but an easily manipulated pawn most definately, if we never sold Rooney what would have happened? It was clear that we were on the brink of administration and our one major asset was Rooney. Along with the Gary Speed saga this is something we would never get to the bottom of. To know that a staunch blue like Alan Stubbs remains to this day a close friend tells you all you need to know, would you remian a close friend to a team mate who displayed such lack of loyalty?

The anger and hurt I felt at the time was very much directed at Rooney, when you stand back and look at the money we got which effectively kept us afloat, was it realy Rooney wanting to go that did it? In the end I think he wanted to go, bit I believe it was initially started because the club needed him to go. Again this is a subject that will divide many fans, the sale of Rooney in my opinion was not an option, it had to happen. Just think if we got Kings Dock we would have likely been in a position to build a team around the lad. One day he will be back, I think he has probably had plenty of time to reflect and I feel that if he won something with the club he would enjoy that more than anything he has won before... maybe it's wishful thinking.

Only thing I hold against Rooney nowadays is the badge kissing he did, was disrespectful to do it to the club you support and the club that brought you through. However he seems to have matured alot since then and I actually have abit or respect for him nowadays.

No one be-grudges him leaving, he was always going to out grow us and the money came in handy, but it was the manner of his departure, like a rat deserting a sinking ship right on deadline day, leaving Moyes with no time t0 buy anyone.

Then, he has all this badge kissing antics and celebrating in front of the Gwladys street, if he had shown a bit of respect and humility then maybe the fans wouldn't give him so much stick but to behave like that (and slag Moyes off in the book) means that one little interivew on Evertontv won't get him back in Everton fans favour.

I certainly wouldn't say he was a victim, but an easily manipulated pawn most definately, if we never sold Rooney what would have happened? It was clear that we were on the brink of administration and our one major asset was Rooney. Along with the Gary Speed saga this is something we would never get to the bottom of. To know that a staunch blue like Alan Stubbs remains to this day a close friend tells you all you need to know, would you remian a close friend to a team mate who displayed such lack of loyalty?

The anger and hurt I felt at the time was very much directed at Rooney, when you stand back and look at the money we got which effectively kept us afloat, was it realy Rooney wanting to go that did it? In the end I think he wanted to go, bit I believe it was initially started because the club needed him to go. Again this is a subject that will divide many fans, the sale of Rooney in my opinion was not an option, it had to happen. Just think if we got Kings Dock we would have likely been in a position to build a team around the lad. One day he will be back, I think he has probably had plenty of time to reflect and I feel that if he won something with the club he would enjoy that more than anything he has won before... maybe it's wishful thinking.

In what way was he manipulated and by who? He stamped his feet and ultimately got his own way

You are using the fact the the club benefited from the money to try and imply it was all a big ploy by the Board/Moyse and the poor lad was sent packing

HE WANTED OUT AND TURNED HIS BACK ON THE CLUB

I can understand him wanting to improve himself and wanting to go to a bigger club to achieve his ambitions but it was the manner in which he left that irks.

I feel he could have given the club at least one more season, he was just setting out on his career and had plenty of time ahead of him to make his fortune and win medals.

The fact he was prepared to sign for Newcastle indicates to me that it was more about money than trophies anyway.

If he had given the club a couple of years and then moved on ala the Torres/Atletico Madrid then I dont think anybody would have begrudged him his big money move and he would have more than likely got a good reception every time he returned to Goodison

He has never once acknowldged the start that Everton gave him and after his badge kissing antics at Goodison I have no sympathy for him at all he desrves all the flak he gets

At the end of the day he is just a fat scally who happens to be an exceptionally good footballer

It sickens me to the core that anybody would suggest he was used in anyway, he demanded to leave and due to player power he got his way it had absolutely nothing what so ever to do with any underhand ploy by Moyse or Bill Kenwright or anybody else for that matter ( except possibly his agent!)

No one be-grudges him leaving, he was always going to out grow us and the money came in handy, but it was the manner of his departure, like a rat deserting a sinking ship right on deadline day, leaving Moyes with no time t0 buy anyone.

Then, he has all this badge kissing antics and celebrating in front of the Gwladys street, if he had shown a bit of respect and humility then maybe the fans wouldn't give him so much stick but to behave like that (and slag Moyes off in the book) means that one little interivew on Evertontv won't get him back in Everton fans favour.

Why was he always going to out grow us? Has Gerrard outgrown the shite? Did Shearer outgrow the toon? We're anything but a small club, if he loved us as much as he claimed he'd have at least stuck around for another two or three seasons, by which time he'd have found himself as the centrepeice of an established top-five Premiership side with one of the most respected managers in the country competing in Europe every year. He could have fulfilled all his ambitions with us, but he chose instant success and fortune at Manure over being the catalyst to taking us to top of the pile again, and if he'd done so, the most revered player in our history. i know which i'd have chosen if i were him.

What no one's mentioned is Stretford's role in his departure - Stretford is a despicable little weasel of a man, but he's clever and manipulative with it. He got to Rooney, and turned his head so he could line his own pockets - easy cash for a man like him when dealing with a star-struck 18 year old boy from an ordinary family from Croxteth.

And i don't believe the Rooney cash 'saved' us as a club - remember, quite a significant chunk of it got spent on the likes of Beattie, Johnson and Kroldrup, hardly the main players in getting us to where we are now.

you show me a teenage boy that wont react when almost 40,000 grown men taunt his evry touch of the ball, have die rooney die shouted at you, and painted on the walls of the stand. im 25, if someone gave me that much shit, id rub it in as much as i could when i shoved one right back at them.

the lad is still a blue, theres no denying that.

gary speed

wayne rooney

duncan ferguson

destination kirkby

they will all devide the fans, they always will.

I thought everton paid off a $10mil+ debt with it? Or is that speculation/wiki rubbish?

that is true. a loan was taken out for (i think) £10.4m six months before he was sold (the same ammount he was insured for apparently) and paid off the week he was sold.

speculates they wanted/needed to sell regardless, and the euros just bumped up the price.

can also add the rumour that BK asked his good friend Freddie Shappard to open the bidding for him to get the ball rolling, as united didnt want to buy him until the following year.

but we will never know.

Edited by StevO

you show me a teenage boy that wont react when almost 40,000 grown men taunt his evry touch of the ball, have die rooney die shouted at you, and painted on the walls of the stand. im 25, if someone gave me that much shit, id rub it in as much as i could when i shoved one right back at them.

the lad is still a blue, theres no denying that.

gary speed

wayne rooney

duncan ferguson

destination kirkby

they will all devide the fans, they always will.

that is true. a loan was taken out for (i think) £10.4m six months before he was sold (the same ammount he was insured for apparently) and paid off the week he was sold.

speculates they wanted/needed to sell regardless, and the euros just bumped up the price.

can also add the rumour that BK asked his good friend Freddie Shappard to open the bidding for him to get the ball rolling, as united didnt want to buy him until the following year.

but we will never know.

I agree that he is a blue at heart but that doesnt detract from the fact that he shat on the club from a great height

I havent even got a problem with Wayne Rooney , I always want him to do well for England and I even like to see him do well for United ( mainly because it normally means bad news for The Shite!) But what I do have a problem with is people trying to make out he was hard done by when Kenwright/Moyse packed his bags and frog marched him out of Goodison and down the M1 ooops I mean M62 to Man Utd

FACT

Rooney was desperate to leave hense his transfer request and infamous phone call to

Bill Kenwright

FICTION/CONSPIRACY THEORY/RUMOUR

The club was about to fold if we dint sell

BK paid Paul Mckenna to hypnotise Rooney so he would put in a written transfer request

Kenwright was discussing a dodgy deal with Freddie Sheppard while they were behind the fence on a grassy knoll waiting for JFK to turn up

I agree dunc, although I don't wish Rooney well whatsoever unless it benefits the blues. I'd quite happily see him win nothing for the rest of his career, he's a tit. All this crap about how he's still a blue - I find this hard to believe after how he acted both on and off the pitch. I know plenty of 18 year old boys who wouldn't have rubbed Evertonian's fans faces in it. A lot of fans don't despise him because he left, it's how he badmouthed Moyes/club after he left and how he has acted on the pitch against us. He started the bad feeling, it wasn't the other way around.

Oh and I also agree that rumours aren't fact, they're usually just total nonsence. Nice post.

If Rooneys children are brought up as Evertonians, as he's suggested (apparently)....then I'll be happy.

If Rooney returns to Everton in some capacity, maybe even investing what could be a chunk of a massive personal fortune, then I'll be happy.

A lot of Everton fans think if they had been in his shoes, they would have stayed at Everton......easy to say that.He (Rooney) had to do what he thought was right at the time and at 17 he's hardly ready for those big decisions.... but he left, Everton improved (came 4th), he made loads more money and won medals.....right decision then?

Good luck to him.......I'd like him back.

I agree that he is a blue at heart but that doesnt detract from the fact that he shat on the club from a great height

I havent even got a problem with Wayne Rooney , I always want him to do well for England and I even like to see him do well for United ( mainly because it normally means bad news for The Shite!) But what I do have a problem with is people trying to make out he was hard done by when Kenwright/Moyse packed his bags and frog marched him out of Goodison and down the M1 ooops I mean M62 to Man Utd

FACT

Rooney was desperate to leave hense his transfer request and infamous phone call to

Bill Kenwright

FICTION/CONSPIRACY THEORY/RUMOUR

The club was about to fold if we dint sell

BK paid Paul Mckenna to hypnotise Rooney so he would put in a written transfer request

Kenwright was discussing a dodgy deal with Freddie Sheppard while they were behind the fence on a grassy knoll waiting for JFK to turn up

you are entitled to your opinion, but dont state opinion as fact.

How he shat on us i have no idea. Sometimes grown men amuse me with their childish ideas when it comes to football. I love everton as much as i know is possible, but for adults to hold a grudge against what was a kid just confuses me. In the end, if rooney is the anti christ some make out, well he won, he won big time!

Why was he always going to out grow us? Has Gerrard outgrown the shite? Did Shearer outgrow the toon? We're anything but a small club, if he loved us as much as he claimed he'd have at least stuck around for another two or three seasons, by which time he'd have found himself as the centrepeice of an established top-five Premiership side with one of the most respected managers in the country competing in Europe every year. He could have fulfilled all his ambitions with us, but he chose instant success and fortune at Manure over being the catalyst to taking us to top of the pile again, and if he'd done so, the most revered player in our history. i know which i'd have chosen if i were him.

What no one's mentioned is Stretford's role in his departure - Stretford is a despicable little weasel of a man, but he's clever and manipulative with it. He got to Rooney, and turned his head so he could line his own pockets - easy cash for a man like him when dealing with a star-struck 18 year old boy from an ordinary family from Croxteth.

And i don't believe the Rooney cash 'saved' us as a club - remember, quite a significant chunk of it got spent on the likes of Beattie, Johnson and Kroldrup, hardly the main players in getting us to where we are now.

Good post Nogs totally agree mate

you are entitled to your opinion, but dont state opinion as fact.

How he shat on us i have no idea. Sometimes grown men amuse me with their childish ideas when it comes to football. I love everton as much as i know is possible, but for adults to hold a grudge against what was a kid just confuses me. In the end, if rooney is the anti christ some make out, well he won, he won big time!

:blink:

Are you for real??

It is not my opinion that Rooney put in a transfer request nor is it my opinion that he made an emotional phone call to Kenwright begging him to let him leave they are well documented facts

If you had bothered to read my posts I dont hold a grudge against Rooney what pisses me off is people trying to make out he was a"pawn" in the whole saga or that he was forced out in any way

The reason I say he shat on the club was because he led everybody on pretending that he was going to sign a new contract and that he was ahappy at the club ( Oncea blue always a blue-- remember that?) then with less than right at the end of the transfer window he forces through a move leaving Moyse no time to rebuild his side

Are you for real??

It is not my opinion that Rooney put in a transfer request nor is it my opinion that he made an emotional phone call to Kenwright begging him to let him leave they are well documented facts

If you had bothered to read my posts I dont hold a grudge against Rooney what pisses me off is people trying to make out he was a"pawn" in the whole saga or that he was forced out in any way

The reason I say he shat on the club was because he led everybody on pretending that he was going to sign a new contract and that he was ahappy at the club ( Oncea blue always a blue-- remember that?) then with less than right at the end of the transfer window he forces through a move leaving Moyse no time to rebuild his side

dunc, it seems you take as fact what you choose to believe. Look at the minutes from the 2004 agm. We paid stretford 1.5m when rooney was sold. Interesting transcript showing the verbal beating that kenwright got from someone clued up on what happened. Stretford claimed he was told 4 months prior to rooney being sold that he was instructed to find a buyer. Bill was challenged to sue him if this was incorrect, did this happen? That's not opinion. You can find it on scribed. Did rooney want to leave? Whatever. Would it have made any difference? No. We are fans of a football club that happens to have been a very badly run business, rooney being sold was the only option at the time. In years gone by since, we have no real assets. I admire your passion, unfortunately that does not make you right.

Are you for real??

they arent facts they are rumour and conjecture.

im sure it was all his idea to leave it until the last day of the window. im sure it was also his idea that we couldnt spend the money too.

none of us know for certain if he was pushed or jumped. only however its been spun from both sides.

this isnt a conversation worth having in my opinion so i'll jst leave it here.

they arent facts they are rumour and conjecture. im sure it was all his idea to leave it until the last day of the window. im sure it was also his idea that we couldnt spend the money too.

none of us know for certain if he was pushed or jumped. only however its been spun from both sides.

this isnt a conversation worth having in my opinion so i'll jst leave it here.

So are you saying that Rooney didnt put in a transfer request?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3592494.stm

"Both United and Newcastle are fighting it out for the 18-year-old who handed in a transfer request on Friday. "

http://manchesterunited.y2u.co.uk/MU23_Wayne_Rooney.htm

"Rooney first appeared for Everton in the youth team, and during his time there, after scoring a wonder-goal in the FA Youth Cup, he revealed a T-shirt under his jersey that read "Once a blue, Always a blue". [2] However, he would end up playing just two seasons in the Everton first team before demanding, and then executing, a transfer"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-315751/Moyes-gets-tough-Rooney-request.html

"The Everton boss was reacting in the wake of Rooney's transfer request today which heightens the prospect of him joining Manchester United or Newcastle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-315751/Moyes-gets-tough-Rooney-request.html

"The Everton boss was reacting in the wake of Rooney's transfer request today which heightens the prospect of him joining Manchester United or Newcastle"

Or are you saying Rooney was never on the phone to Kenwright?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/23/everton-fa-cup-final-bill-kenwright-interview

"In his time, Kenwright has been accused by fans of forcing Wayne Rooney out ("even though I'd had the lad in tears on the phone, ­pleading with me to let him go")"

Now you may be of the opinion that BK is a liar and is making the entire phone call up but a first hand account of an event is proof enough for me. Rooney has never denied it by the way

Rooney even goes into the reasons why he put in a transfer request in his autobiography so I would say that was fact

Not going to agree or disagree with anybody on this, but a little bird once told me they wanted Rooney to sign a contract (the best in the clubs history) but would let him leave in the next window, thinking it would get them a higher fee. Rooney wanted to go right away knowing he could get twice as much at United plus the fact they were playing Champs League and Sitting top of the prem League. :unsure:

I think that's a good enough excuse to want to go, when United come calling nobody turns them down.

I don't like him as a person but he's a top class footballer.