IGNORED

Rooney On Evertontv

Romey 1878

So are you saying that Rooney didnt put in a transfer request?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3592494.stm

"Both United and Newcastle are fighting it out for the 18-year-old who handed in a transfer request on Friday. "

http://manchesterunited.y2u.co.uk/MU23_Wayne_Rooney.htm

"Rooney first appeared for Everton in the youth team, and during his time there, after scoring a wonder-goal in the FA Youth Cup, he revealed a T-shirt under his jersey that read "Once a blue, Always a blue". [2] However, he would end up playing just two seasons in the Everton first team before demanding, and then executing, a transfer"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-315751/Moyes-gets-tough-Rooney-request.html

"The Everton boss was reacting in the wake of Rooney's transfer request today which heightens the prospect of him joining Manchester United or Newcastle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-315751/Moyes-gets-tough-Rooney-request.html

"The Everton boss was reacting in the wake of Rooney's transfer request today which heightens the prospect of him joining Manchester United or Newcastle"

Or are you saying Rooney was never on the phone to Kenwright?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/23/everton-fa-cup-final-bill-kenwright-interview

"In his time, Kenwright has been accused by fans of forcing Wayne Rooney out ("even though I'd had the lad in tears on the phone, ­pleading with me to let him go")"

Now you may be of the opinion that BK is a liar and is making the entire phone call up but a first hand account of an event is proof enough for me. Rooney has never denied it by the way

Rooney even goes into the reasons why he put in a transfer request in his autobiography so I would say that was fact

You don't need to have an inquisitive mind to realise that the club had an extremely strong motive 1. To sell Rooney - given the dire financial position we we in and 2. To ensure it is covered up as best as possible to avoid what would have been a revolt ala Fiorentine re Batistuta sale and what would potentially happen in Athletico if Aguero is sold.

Sure some could have been orchestrated by Rooney, but to hold Rooney solely accountable is very short sighted. We had borrowed £10m to keep administrators away from Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander, which was paid back with the Rooney money. Was the sale of Rooney needed? Well put it this way look at Victor Moses at Crystal Palace now, a player worth at least £5m plus is going to be sold by the administrators for £1.25m in what is classed as a fire sale - what would Rooney have gone for £8m, £10m? with a 10 point reduction?

Rooney had 2 years on his contract, would never turn up to a game and give less than 100%, we knew he was world class and was going to get better, why did we sell? He couldn't force the sale? He was contracted to us, was he going to sit and rot in the reserves and play in front of 500 fans a week?

Hardly work for a conspiracy theorist.

Edited by Hafnia2

But when you talk of the board covering up that's what it is...a conspiracy theory pure and simple. So you choose to buy into it or you choose not to.

Entrenched views..."conspirators" v "apologists." :P . No point taking it further for me....but carry on if you like :jerry: .

You don't need to have an inquisitive mind to realise that the club had an extremely strong motive 1. To sell Rooney - given the dire financial position we we in and 2. To ensure it is covered up as best as possible to avoid what would have been a revolt ala Fiorentine re Batistuta sale and what would potentially happen in Athletico if Aguero is sold.

Sure some could have been orchestrated by Rooney, but to hold Rooney solely accountable is very short sighted. We had borrowed £10m to keep administrators away from Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander, which was paid back with the Rooney money. Was the sale of Rooney needed? Well put it this way look at Victor Moses at Crystal Palace now, a player worth at least £5m plus is going to be sold by the administrators for £1.25m in what is classed as a fire sale - what would Rooney have gone for £8m, £10m? with a 10 point reduction?

Rooney had 2 years on his contract, would never turn up to a game and give less than 100%, we knew he was world class and was going to get better, why did we sell? He couldn't force the sale? He was contracted to us, was he going to sit and rot in the reserves and play in front of 500 fans a week?

It may seem short sighted in your opinion but either way I was arguing more against people saying that he was a pawn and was forced out of the club

Really , so we managed to keep Lescott then and obviously the Board wanted Barmby to join the Shite? You calim I am short sighted for beleiving that Rooney wanted to go, even though he has just admitted it again on Evertontv, but you cant see that players have all the power these days and that if they want a move invariably they get thier own way

It may seem short sighted in your opinion but either way I was arguing more against people saying that he was a pawn and was forced out of the club

Really , so we managed to keep Lescott then and obviously the Board wanted Barmby to join the Shite? You calim I am short sighted for beleiving that Rooney wanted to go, even though he has just admitted it again on Evertontv, but you cant see that players have all the power these days and that if they want a move invariably they get thier own way

I discussed this with someone yesterday, unless we go back to the days when players share buses with the fans, have mortgages, need to take up physiotherapy after their careers then ultimately player power will rule. Look at Birmingham, those players are fighting for new contracts and their performances have been great because of it.

We will never know what goes on behind the scenes, but I guess the question I need to ask myself is 'do I believe the chairman and the board are honest with the fans' - the answer I am afraid is no. The sale of Rooney will always be one of the great unanswered questions.

i think these interviews are nicely time couple of weeks before we play them.

Has sir alex advised rooney to do these interviews so the crowd are not on his back as much.

sir alex knows if the everton fans gets on rooneys back he will have to take him off or he will be sent off.

I discussed this with someone yesterday, unless we go back to the days when players share buses with the fans, have mortgages, need to take up physiotherapy after their careers then ultimately player power will rule. Look at Birmingham, those players are fighting for new contracts and their performances have been great because of it.

We will never know what goes on behind the scenes, but I guess the question I need to ask myself is 'do I believe the chairman and the board are honest with the fans' - the answer I am afraid is no. The sale of Rooney will always be one of the great unanswered questions.

Well if you dont believe Kenwright, The Board, David Moyes or the press try believing Rooney himself who has admitted umpteen times and has just reiterated it again on Evertontv that he asked to leave

For me the only mystery surrounding this deal is why so many people seem to think Rooney was forced out

[/b]

For me the only mystery surrounding this deal is why so many people seem to think Rooney was forced out

because some people find the truth too hard to take and it makes them feel better to blame the board rather than the player. He's such an Everton fan that he was at the after match celebration with the Chelsea players following their FA Cup win against us. My attitude has soften slightly towards him following his recent comments but seriously, he's treated us like garbage ever since he left until now. I have no real bitterness towards Rooney, he was pretty much useless for us anyway and we got a great deal for him which revived our fortunes as a club. I'm glad Kenwright sold him, one of the best decisions he ever made, probably second only to appointing Moyes.

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but I can easily imagine that when he (Rooney) heard about Utd's interest he asked to leave (or at least was interested in talking to them) - to become a better footballer, playing Champs League, playing with world class players and winning medals and trophies, what footballer doesn't want that. I can also believe that Moyes didn't want him to go, of course, why would he, but then Moyes was still rather new to the job at the time, and I can believe that Kenwright had a little word in his ear and said, "Listen Moyesy lad, we need to sell him to sort out the club's financial 'crisis'(I use this word loosely), sorry."

Whether that is anywhere near the truth of the matter, I couldn't care less. We've done well without, and we'll continue to do so. If it was a choice between Moyes and Rooney, I'd take Moyes any day of the week.

All those arguments aside, if Rooney wanted to come back to Everton, would you have him?

Yeah, of course, did you not see him on Sunday? ;)

If he was still in his prime yes without a doubt.

If its when he is passed it and at the end of his career probably not

That's most likely when (if at all) he will come back. I think we may just be witnessing Rooney in his prime now. The worst thing I'd like to see though, is an aging, fat, slow used-to-be, kissing his badge on Saturday afternoons.

+1.

No one can deny that it transformed our fortunes.

Relegation strugglers to European regulars.

I would perhaps concede that it helped in a financial aspect maybe, but in the main I would say the major factor in that "transformation" would be the manager and what he has done and brings to the club.

I can't see how any team can be better off without one of the best players in the world. We became a better team because the sale of rooney to united arguably gave us money, a great leader in neville, and a top class goal keeper. Of course such a sale creates siege mentality also. Does anyone honestly believe that rooney in our side over the last two years would not have made us achieve champions league? If we made improvements to the team without rooney being sold we would be in a far stronger position. But hey, that brings me back to the fact, we needed to sell rooney to survive, he had two years left on his contract, not six months. We were under no risk to sell in terms of loss of value. That to me says it's more than just rooney wanting to leave. Every club in europe would have wanted him united were the first and we sold him to them on the drip, why? Cos we were desperate. It was not a great deal, for someone with potential alone maybe, but he had just single handedly carried englands hopes in the euro's.

Edited by Hafnia2

I can't see how any team can be better off without one of the best players in the world. We became a better team because the sale of rooney to united arguably gave us money, a great leader in neville, and a top class goal keeper. Of course such a sale creates siege mentality also. Does anyone honestly believe that rooney in our side over the last two years would not have made us achieve champions league? If we made improvements to the team without rooney being sold we would be in a far stronger position. But hey, that brings me back to the fact, we needed to sell rooney to survive, he had two years left on his contract, not six months. We were under no risk to sell in terms of loss of value. That to me says it's more than just rooney wanting to leave. Every club in europe would have wanted him united were the first and we sold him to them on the drip, why? Cos we were desperate. It was not a great deal, for someone with potential alone maybe, but he had just single handedly carried englands hopes in the euro's.

What does on the drip mean? cheap? I still can't believe anyone can moan about the deal, we got £20m up front, possibly rising to £30m for a player who had done nothing for Everton the season before (except look frustrated) and helped us finish to our lowest points total in something like 40 years (if my memory serves me correct). True, he had a very good Euro tournament for England but Baros also had a very good tournament for Czech Republic (in fact an even better tournament than Rooney) and he wasn't being sold for £20-30m. Kenwright has consistently brokered fantastic deals for this club - Jeffers, Ball, Barmby, McFadden, Lescott & Rooney yet some people still moan about it. Get a grip.

If we had Rooney now we would no doubt be a much better team but if to get Rooney we had to sell £20-30m of players we have bought (in transfer fees) ie Arteta, Cahill, Howard, Jags, Pienaar, Neville etc, then we'd be an infinitely worse team. I would suggest that Kenwright got the aforementioned players 'on the drip' rather than the other way round. Give him some credit.

Ten million up front. Rest of payments were installments and based on uniteds success. Given that chelsea had just spent 30 million on essien it hardly suggests we should have snapped their hands off. To compare rooneys euro campaign to baros is outrageous. Rooney single handedly took the game to one of the best teams in the world in france, at times overshadowing zidane drawing superlatives from thierry henry, with gerrard claiming he was the best player in europe. He didn't mention baros funny enough, his liverpool team mate. Sure, let's give bill praise for selling our assets, he's had plenty of practice.

...gerrard claiming he was the best player in europe. He didn't mention baros funny enough, his liverpool team mate.

When he said that (two days before the Portugal game) Rooney was his team-mate, not Baros, and he was talking up England's chances. Why would he mention Baros?

(Personally can't remember what sort of tournament Baros had, just putting the comment in context)

When he said that (two days before the Portugal game) Rooney was his team-mate, not Baros, and he was talking up England's chances. Why would he mention Baros?

(Personally can't remember what sort of tournament Baros had, just putting the comment in context)

From memory, Baros was at least joint top scorer in the competition, scored some fantastic goals and the Czech Republic did a lot better than England. Rooney did play very well in the Euro's, no doubting that, but he was a young kid who had just endured a very poor (in and out of team) season for his club. If we had have kept him and he had endured another pretty awful season at Everton then his value would have been nearer £10-15m than £20-30m. We had a poor team, Rooney was getting no space, he was on the wing a fair bit and getting more and more frustrated - I can't see any reason why his value would have gone up if we didn't cash in then. We all knew he had talent but for Everton, he was less effective than £2.5m Cahill.

Baros scored one more goal than rooney. Played more games and two of his goals were against a poor latvian team. Let's not even start comparing the attributes of baros to rooney it's almost like comparing kevin kilbane to pienaar. Rooney was being doubled up on in our team, which if we had players to complement him would have given us more space to exploit. It has gone full circle undoubtedly, his talent has gone to help united win a host of trophys, we never had the financial status to hold on to him, nor the players to complement him. Whatever part he played in leaving you can certainly be sure the dire finances of the club meant it had to happen. If there was ever a sure thing in terms of an 18 year old set to become a world class player it was him. Was anyone surprised when they seen his hattrick debut, goal against newcastle, double against middlesboro? No. That's why selling him with two years left made no sense.

Why do people insist on reading more in to this than there is?

What more do people want Rooney has been all over the press again this week saying that he wanted to leave and he has said it many times before. He has said it , Moyse has said it , Kenwright has said it, Rooneys agent has said it. Its has been widely reported by just about every media outlet in the UK and still the conspiracy theorists are having none of it.

He wanted to go he was not forced out, it has worked out better for all parties because undoubtedly the money has helped Everton ( I wouldnt go as far as to say it saved us) Rooney is better off and Man Utd are certainly better off

He is a world class player but he is Uniteds world class player so can we please forget about him now and move on!

the oldest TT phrase - agree to disagree.

if this thread is stopping you moving on, stop reading and posting it. simple.

Your right I am flogging a dead horse.

If I could produce the actual written transfer request some people would claim that Kenwright & Moyse were holding Coleen hostage and threatening to behead her if he didnt sign it

Edited by bill.......headbangsoncomputer_t_01.gif:D:D