IGNORED

Tiny Midfield

Lowensda

Ok, i know some people will point out that Fellaini won't be out that long but with the types of games coming up, Man U, Chelsea, Sporting and Tottenham, im getting slightly worried of our lack of 'steel' in the middle. Fellaini is our current and only decent option in the middle that adds 'precence' (playing in a correct position) and now that he maybe out for some time, who do we play and how are we going to cope with the likes of Ballack, Lampard, Palacious, Huddlestone, Carrick and Veloso.

Our Midfield will probably average out at about 5'10 so theres no real height there. Ok we have tenacious ( ;) )players but they can't compete with the strength of those guys. Look at the Liverpool game - together, Donovan, Pienaar, osman were being bossed off of the ball constantly and not able to win fouls, which leaves us open. Its not their fault beacuse the make it up in skill/guile/pace but we still need someone who can put a foot in, but have the weight behind it to make a real impact.

Do we need someone else there for future references or can we just rely on our one 'big' man?

Edited by tenaciousj

My guess would be that either Rodwell will return (although I dont think he has much physical presence - yet) or Heitinga may move forward and risk one of Senderos, Yobo or Jags (depending on how long Felli is out) to take his place or as Pete0 says Neville might move there and Coleman slot in on the right.

I would probably favour Heitinga moving forward (only league though) and seeing whether any of our other CB's can step up but then again he has been our best player at the back?!

Im not a big fan of Neville playing RB and even less of a fan of him playing midfield purely because he isnt that great on the ball, but I would like to see Coleman.

I'm more worried that we have a midfield of bottlers without Fellaini tbh. You don't need to be steely if you can keep hold of the ball and not shirk your responsibilities after all.

Agreed, we went hiding on saturday. As its been said before balls is not defined on how many men you kick its the willingness to accept the ball in difficult situations and not give "chicken shit" passes to a team mate with a fullback up his arse!!!

the run out will have done Arteta a lot of good. Arteta is a better player than Fellaini, no question, once he's fit then we'll be ok. Bring Neville back into midfield alongside him with Coleman at right back and I don't see a big problem. The league doesn't really matter now anyway, we don't have much to play for except the Europa. We just need to get players fit for next season and try and bring on some of the youngsters - ie Coleman and Anichebe. We just don't have enough quality up front, Moyes needs to start playing Yak or Anichebe regularly as if they can't cut it then we need to buy someone in the Summer as Saha isn't going to get any better and I think Vaughan just doesn't quite have enough at the moment. If we can get a real quality striker then I don't see an reason why we can't break the top 4 next year, barring another injury crisis.

the run out will have done Arteta a lot of good. Arteta is a better player than Fellaini, no question, once he's fit then we'll be ok. Bring Neville back into midfield alongside him with Coleman at right back and I don't see a big problem. The league doesn't really matter now anyway, we don't have much to play for except the Europa. We just need to get players fit for next season and try and bring on some of the youngsters - ie Coleman and Anichebe. We just don't have enough quality up front, Moyes needs to start playing Yak or Anichebe regularly as if they can't cut it then we need to buy someone in the Summer as Saha isn't going to get any better and I think Vaughan just doesn't quite have enough at the moment. If we can get a real quality striker then I don't see an reason why we can't break the top 4 next year, barring another injury crisis.

Neville is a liability and to play him in the middle of the park is just asking Chelsea to walk all over us. Please tell me what you think Neville offers us in the middle of the park? He doesn't have much influence at fullback which suits our tactics perfect because if you throw Neville in against players like Ballack and Lampard we will only make problems for ourselves in terms of creating a chance to score. He shits it when any decent player gets near him and brings them down. I really havent seen anything since he's been back to say he should be in midfield.

Edited by Blue4Ever

We really don't have a physical presence now, but I like moving Heitinga forward. He will beat and bang with the best of them and he can play forward. The next thing though is who fills centerback. Neville is struggling right now and hurting Landon I think. Pineaar is playing really well because Baines is getting forward very well. I would like to see Seamus get some more time. I really would like to see Arteta in the midfield even though he is struggling. If he gets going so will everyone else especially Timmy.

However I do not agree with Carlmc in that were out of league. Teams could struggle and suffer injuries. If we got on a roll we could pick off a few teams. Never give up as there is a long ways to go still. Saha can't be that bad as he leads us in goals. When on his game he is the best striker and scorer we have.