IGNORED

Coleman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news indeed!

I think its a good sign that they are getting all the contract extensions sorted early doors we might even see a new singing before August 30th at this rate

Agree with you Dunc, great to see we are sticking to the promise of keeping the squad together, great news!

He was probably on very little money though I'd have thought and his performances/potential needed recognising :) .

Thought he only had a year left, sure I read that somewhere but that's not to say it was accurate.

I bet he was only peanuts in comparison to our lot and if we're gonna see more of him in the future (next season) you would expect him to get a pay rise anyway! And i think he did only have a year Mike, yeah.

i'd be half tempted to send him there for another season...i wanna see him play for us but if he gets a whole premieship season behind him instead of just 10 games or so whilst we use neville in perhaps is last full year then...i think i would to be honest! be interestin to see though because if moyes doesn't then that means he has him in his plans :D i'd be happy enough either way!

I'd like to see a half year spell, not a full year. With how he has played already for us and Blackpool I don't see him being a whole season of play off the mark of Neville and Hibbo. He should be a regular in the side come the new year.

I agree only half a year tops with a recall clause...

Having said that Id rather see Duffy (when fit again), Ruddy and Vaughan go on loan to a prem team ahead of Coleman as he has a real chance of starting for the 1st team.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moyes on Coleman...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/08/27/boss-urges-coleman-patience

Unusual for him to describe one of his players as "poor," even though he went on to praise him a lot and not rule out the possibility of him playing at Villa.

Just read that and I agree 100% with what Moysie had to say.

Everybody can see what a talent he is going forward but against Huddersfield his defensive frailties were also there for all to see. He sounds like a quick learner though and Im sure its only a matter of time before he sorts our the defensive side of his game

Totally agree. Some people are going way, way overboard about him. We can all see he's great going forward but he's got no Premier League experience and could be found out defensively. I think he's going to be a very good player for us, but if he gets thrown in too early and has a shocker or two defensively his confidence could totally collapse. I agree with Moyes that patience is very important.

Edited by tonyhibbertshairline

Totally agree. Some people are going way, way overboard about him. We can all see he's great going forward but he's got no Premier League experience and could be found out defensively. I think he's going to be a very good player for us, but if he gets thrown in too early and has a shocker or two defensively his confidence could totally collapse. I agree with Moyes that patience is very important.

That's a poor excuse for not playing him in my opinion. You can't get experience if you don't play. He's excelled and stood-out at every level he's played at (not entirely easy for a defender) whether that be the League of Ireland Premier League, the Championship or U-21 internationals. The only really poor performances he's had is vs. Benfica (out of position at left-back against a rampant di Maria in a make-shift defence on his debut) and the first half against Huddersfield and you could qualify that with his stellar performances against Tottenham and Manchester City in the Premier League.

By all means question his defensive abilities but when you can count his poor performances with your thumb and forefinger and you're losing track of his brilliant ones then you have to ask yourself why not just play him.

Lest we forget that Jack Rodwell was the main reason we were knocked of the Europa League and people were still calling for him to be on the plane to South Africa.

That's a poor excuse for not playing him in my opinion. You can't get experience if you don't play. He's excelled and stood-out at every level he's played at (not entirely easy for a defender) whether that be the League of Ireland Premier League, the Championship or U-21 internationals. The only really poor performances he's had is vs. Benfica (out of position at left-back against a rampant di Maria in a make-shift defence on his debut) and the first half against Huddersfield and you could qualify that with his stellar performances against Tottenham and Manchester City in the Premier League.

By all means question his defensive abilities but when you can count his poor performances with your thumb and forefinger and you're losing track of his brilliant ones then you have to ask yourself why not just play him.

Lest we forget that Jack Rodwell was the main reason we were knocked of the Europa League and people were still calling for him to be on the plane to South Africa.

Lol Clearly Coleman is a favourite of yours!

You are right about him needing to play to learn, and thats precisely why he was farmed out to Blackpool last season. I also wouldnt hold the Benfica game against him but you are way off the mark if you think he has only had two poor performances defensively.

I have seen a fair bit of him and he does look dodgy at the back. Its no good saying this player has made a mistake and that player has made a mistake we are talking about Coleman. ( Rodwell isnt a starting player either by the way)

His time will undoubtedly come but why throw him in before he is ready?

Stick the lad in and let him learn from his mistakes or loan him to Blackpool and let him make them there.. He's 22, he's a big boy and he can handle it.

I agree he's got to learn, and he'll only do that from playing. But what I'm saying is that we can't just stick him in – he has to be brought in gradually and protected. The way some people talk about him you'd think he's been playing at the top level for a couple of seasons and we know he can handle it. He hasn't and we don't.