IGNORED

Moyes: Raise Wage Limit

Louis

http://www.guardian....ore-david-moyes

The Goodison futures of influential midfielders Mikel Arteta and Steven Pienaar are both uncertain with the pair yet to accept lucrative contract extensions offered this summer. Pienaar has 12 months remaining on his Everton contract and wants more than the £60,000-a-week offer to stay while Arteta, who is under contract until 2012, would become the club's highest earner should he accept a proposed £75,000-a-week extension.

Despite Moyes's appeal, the offers to Arteta and Pienaar represent a marked increase on their existing contracts at Everton. The Spanish midfielder, who has been linked with Manchester City, Arsenal and Barcelona this summer, earns £45,000 a week, and the Everton manager believes improving the terms of existing players is a more pressing issue than new signings this summer.

Ridiculous.

what is ridiculus he hans't moaned about a transfer spend of 1.5 mil for a top 5 side. (Stoke will spend 10 mil today on one player)He is only trying to keep the current squad together and hope one of the buys turns into a 8 mil player. I think it's very sensible to try and tie this team down to contracts. I have to pinch myself to understand how he has amassed a team/squad of such quality with such small spend. I bet when you add up his transfer dealings he has spent very little. against what has come in. Our current squad has a young average age we have bought in 4 players (1 international) for 1.5 mil and we have retained rodwell. If he can keep piernar and arteta. I think we have a good crack at the top 4 finish.

I agree, what he has had to spend is a joke. We are taking baby steps due to lack of funds theoretically, whereas clubs who have not had to operate in a similar fashion can make strides. The reality is that pound for pound we should be challenging for the league, take a 5 year plan and double it for us, when others can play catch up. My fear is that we will never be able to amass such a quality squad on a limited budget again, we need to capatalise on this opportunity, if that means pay structure then so be it. Sadly, I do feel that wage caps need bringing into the game, not just clubs, then you will not see portsmouths etc

My fear is that we will never be able to amass such a quality squad on a limited budget again...

Absolutely. It's a vital season I think.

But the thing is that if he is spending peanuts on new players (which so far he is) maybe it's because he needs all available cash for new contracts. If we're going to re-write the wage structue, which it looks like we need to, it's going to cost a fortune. It's an extra £1.5m a year for Arteta on the figures in that article and everyone else will want a rise as well.

I'd rather any money we have went there personally.

It seems ridiculous when you think that the last five seasons have been very profitable with the league position and Europe, and we have continually broken our transfer record, Beattie, Johnson, Yakubu, and Fellaini to name the main buys.

Then comes a double swoop of Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga, so why all of a sudden do we have no money this season. ??

I'll keep hoping not only do we keep Arteta and Pienaar, but also to have one big swoop in the transfer market, preferably for a right winger before September the 1st. ;)

It seems ridiculous when you think that the last five seasons have been very profitable with the league position and Europe, and we have continually broken our transfer record, Beattie, Johnson, Yakubu, and Fellaini to name the main buys.

Then comes a double swoop of Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga, so why all of a sudden do we have no money this season. ??

I'll keep hoping not only do we keep Arteta and Pienaar, but also to have one big swoop in the transfer market, preferably for a right winger before September the 1st. ;)

Because we haven't sold anyone of any note.

sold beattie to get the yak

sold johnson and got fellaini

sold lescott and got distin, bily and heitinga

i can't remember who we sold to get beattie and johnson though :lol: personally i'm fed up with pienaar and would rather we sold the ungrateful little shit..comin out sayin he feels at home and then wantin mass amounts of money to stay here..he isn't worth it imo..too much graft and not enough end product at times for my liking! good player but we can manage without him..we can't without mikel

Do we have the revenue to up our wage limit? I'm not sure we do.

I thinks its all realative. Sky money is the main income but our squad is not huge but full of quality. I would rather one Arteta on big money than 3 average players taking up a squad place. How much has Carlo Nash cost us in wages? A million? Scary!