IGNORED

Danny Welbeck

I would prefer Welbeck over Lukaku, especially if he's going to be cheaper as well. A striker's goal scoring record doesn't particularly matter all that much to me. (And if I'm to go by those Whoscored stats, he's scored 5 goals in the 7 games he's started as a centre forward this season as well. Plus 9 goals in just 1288 PL minutes this season is actually pretty good. And it doesn't look like he's having trouble scoring for England either. Also, I've seen some very pretty lob finishes that require quite a bit of skill.)

The most important part is that he fits into your setup and I think Welbeck would fit in ours. He's very quick and moves fluidly, can even run at defenders with the ball, so he would be a threat on counter attacks. So we could retreat in a defensive shell and exploit that in certain games if we want to. But he's also strong and has a good first touch. This season, we've sometimes looked stale against teams that sat back and packed their box and we're just passing around it without getting any penetration. In times like that, we need a centre forward that can play with his back to goal and bounce the ball back in one touch like a wall to the runners behind him to get them through on goal.

We'll have to wait and see what his ambitions are though. Is he happy being third choice at his boyhood club or does he want to be a first choice centre forward somewhere. I don't want Hernandez btw as he wouldn't offer those wall-like qualities, I'd rather pay extra to get Lukaku then.

I rate Wellbeck. Granted he has missed a few chances but if he knows he is the main striker I reckon he would be like a Sturridge. Look how well he did at Sunderland in a shit team! He has parallels to Sturridge. played out wide in a 4-3-3.Never the "man" I wouldn't pay more £12 mill

Guest Nikica

I still think this stuff about his 'link up play' is a myth. He's a glorified pace merchant in my view - he's always falling over his own feet, his dribbling is more a case of brainless running rather than anything intelligent, and his decision making is frankly average.

Most people don't rate him because his finishing is poor, but I wouldn't care about that if I thought he had ability as a footballer. I don't see much ability though. People are slating Lukaku, but he shows signs of being good outside the box. Welbeck doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

There's no stated link to Everton in this article but we've been linked recently and now Welbeck himself is saying he's unhappy at Man Utd and may leave in order to play regularly up front, either in the centre or on the left of a front three.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/25/danny-welbeck-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal

If we did sign him then I'd hope he wouldn't be played as the central striker; I don't think he'd score enough goals.

If we did sign him then I'd hope he wouldn't be played as the central striker; I don't think he'd score enough goals.

If your not going to play him centrally then there is no point buying him at all. Dont quote me on it but I think his goal scoring record through the middle isnt actually that bad. He isnt going to be a 20-30 goal a season man but I think it would be a safe bet to say that he would get 10-15.

If your not going to play him centrally then there is no point buying him at all. Dont quote me on it but I think his goal scoring record through the middle isnt actually that bad. He isnt going to be a 20-30 goal a season man but I think it would be a safe bet to say that he would get 10-15.

The article posted said he wants to play as the central striker or on the left of a forward three. That's where I'd want him because he needs too many chances to score a goal - we can't afford to have a main striker needing 4 or 5 chances to score one.

The article posted said he wants to play as the central striker or on the left of a forward three. That's where I'd want him because he needs too many chances to score a goal - we can't afford to have a main striker needing 4 or 5 chances to score one.

Would mind that with Lukaku central and Mirallas on the right? Actually sounds like a very powerful front 3.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with Steve.

I think he has got Sturridge written all over him. Been at a big club and hasn't really achieved much, loaned out to Sunderland where he showed he has got promise and talent.

I think he could really develop into a good player if given game time.

But there would still be no point playing him from the left because he isn't a creative player either.

He isn't a player I would want us to go in for but he could do well enough up front if we did and I don't think he is that bad of a finisher. He needs confidence and to be playing regularly and when he has had that for spells he has done ok. He offers nothing from the left that we need.

Guest Nikica

It's strange. Man United fans are adamant he's very technically gifted, and some people on here are mocking Lukaku's first touch. But when I watch them Lukaku looks more comfortable dribbling and Welbeck's first touch is just as erratic as Lukaku's.

It's strange. Man United fans are adamant he's very technically gifted, and some people on here are mocking Lukaku's first touch. But when I watch them Lukaku looks more comfortable dribbling and Welbeck's first touch is just as erratic as Lukaku's.

Welbeck is Bambi on ice.

Guest Nikica

Welbeck is Bambi on ice.

Agreed. I have never rated him and think he's a pretty average player. It's just bizarre how players get a reputation for better than they are. In saying that, most non-United fans seem to think Welbeck is average and we know how United fans wildly overrate their players, so probably just best to ignore them.

I would take Welbeck in a heart beat. I think he is a good player and is such a work horse. If we got him and a player like Bony, Lukaku we would be doing VERY well.

Welbeck is a good player and under the right manager could become an even better player.

Yeah I like him and think he would do a good job taking Nut's place on that left wing in the long term. He's got power and pace, imagine him next to Lukaku with mirallas on the other side its exciting. 3 pacey strikers/inside forwards.

Edit: Plus he has 9 league gaols this season and how much of them are off the bench?!

Edited by AidanLewis

I think Welbeck would be a very fine striker for as long as the price doesn't drain EFC's summer budget.

The best way I can describe Welbeck is that he's the complete opposite of Carlos Bacca: he's not an instinctive pacey, dirty little killer. (that's why I don't get the Sturridge comparison)

He plays in an technically well fashioned way, straight from the book. Typical MU academy player, he doesn't play with raw instincts at all, but exactly as he's been taught. With his brains and not with his belly. And he's strong with headers. He's the kind of guy you need at least one of in your squad, in case your instinctive little killer doesn't obey the manager's instructions. This is just my impression, does that make sense to you?

Edited by Mirallas