IGNORED

Conor McAleny

• 3 months later...

who has the most potential in the squad?

Distin:

I like Conor McAleny. He trained with us a few times last season and he always looked like he could be in the squad.

Interesting that he said McAleny and not Barkley or Baxter or Duffy.... I've always liked McAleny, hope he stays another few years before his future is decided.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm slightly concerned. 21 years old and being loaned to a League 1 club (albeit a very good one), I feel like he'd be going on loan to the Championship if we truly rated him. Then again, he missed a lot of last year with injury, and he scored a lot for the reserves.

I'm slightly concerned. 21 years old and being loaned to a League 1 club (albeit a very good one), I feel like he'd be going on loan to the Championship if we truly rated him. Then again, he missed a lot of last year with injury, and he scored a lot for the reserves.

I think a more important part is probably Championship teams not really rating him. I don't think we'll have denied him a move to a Championship team if there was one that wanted him.

I think a more important part is probably Championship teams not really rating him. I don't think we'll have denied him a move to a Championship team if there was one that wanted him.

That's what I meant... Didn't really make that clear, I just can't be super positive about him if a Championship club doesn't want him. He's 21, not 18, his future has to be decided soon. Best case scenario is that he comes back after a short, successful loan period and then goes toa Championship club, or breaks through with us.

I guess it would depend on whether any Championship club were prepared to offer him a place in the first team. Obviously Everton wouldn't want to loan him to a club that weren't intending on making him a regular starter, even if it meant a drop down in class.

The fact he is going into League 1 doesn't look positive though. I thought he looked really sharp on the couple of occasions I saw him and whilst I don't think he will be that RM type possession striker he could have probably been a useful player to bring off the bench when we need a goal.

I just looked through his career history and he has only played 5 first team games, 2 of which were late subs for us. You know the system isn't right when lads of 20-21 have made less than a dozen league starts. I know he had some kind of injury last season but as a reasonable prospect, he should have at least 30-50 first team games under his belt.

Does anyone know what happened to his loan with Scunthorpe?

Just found this article on him from Scunthorpe which sounds promising.

Between them they are yet to make 20 appearances for Scunthorpe United.

But the Iron's most recent strike partnership, Jordan Robertson and Conor McAleny, look a 'pretty sharp pair' according to manager Alan Knill.

1. 3673040.png

Jordan Robertson (right) and Conor McAleny (centre), seen here celebrating combining for the Iron's equaliser at Chesterfield, impressed up front. Picture: Phil Cook.

Everton loanee McAleny made his first senior start at the weekend as Scunthorpe won 4-1 at bottom club Chesterfield to deliver a telling blow to the Spireites' survival hopes, improving their own in the process.

But whereas he had been expected to replace Robertson in the starting line-up at the B2net Stadium, he actually featured alongside the former Sheffield United youngster, with Jon Parkin ruled out by a hamstring injury.

McAleny set-up his strike partner for Scunthorpe's equaliser and also had a hand in their second goal, scored by Josh Walker on the back of some brilliant build-up play.

It was a display that backed up exactly why the Iron moved to recruit the 19-year-old for the final six weeks of the season.

"He's very clever, finds a space and then quickly moves the ball," said Knill, of McAleny, a product of the Toffees' Academy.

"He's produced all the things I saw when I went to watch him.

"It doesn't matter who he's playing against, he never gets fazed and we're hopeful that playing for us, in league football, will help nurture the talent he undoubtedly has.

"The only thing that was missing on Saturday was a goal at the end, but his whole round game is very, very good. That's why he's at Everton.

"I'm sure he'll go back there a better player."

That's what I meant... Didn't really make that clear, I just can't be super positive about him if a Championship club doesn't want him. He's 21, not 18, his future has to be decided soon. Best case scenario is that he comes back after a short, successful loan period and then goes toa Championship club, or breaks through with us.

The loan is for the season.

I wouldn't worry too much about it only being a League 1 side you know. He's probably gone there because the two clubs have built a good understanding with previous players and we view it as a good environment for him to develop based on how the other loans have gone. Plus, their manager seems to try and get his side to play a bit of football.

The loan is for the season.

I wouldn't worry too much about it only being a League 1 side you know. He's probably gone there because the two clubs have built a good understanding with previous players and we view it as a good environment for him to develop based on how the other loans have gone. Plus, their manager seems to try and get his side to play a bit of football.

exactly. lets just hope he doesnt follow in the footsteps of the others and join permanently!