IGNORED

Sports quiz.

Bill

I will try to provide a quiz every few days if you'd like to have a go, It should be able to run alongside the trivia without causing any problems.

Please dont shoot the messenger if any of the answers are disputed, i didnt compile them myself so i take no responsibility for their accuracy.

Dont be afraid to answer as many as you can, and when they have all been answered or it has come to a standstill, i will provide the answers and put up another Quiz

A very easy one to get you started ......

1. Which famous footballer left Tottenham in 1992 to join Japanese side Grampus Eight.

2. On a football pitch, how many yards should the penalty spot be from the goal line?

3. In what year was the first World Cup held?

4. What was the number on the back of the jersey that both Maradona and Pele said was lucky?

5. Who managed the first English side to win the European Cup?

6. Which English football team are nicknamed the "Hornets"?

7. Which is the only country to have played in every World Cup since it started in 1930?

8. The book "Macca Can" was about which ex-Liverpool footballer?

9. Which European football club is nicknamed "La Vicchia Signora", which translates as "the old lady"?

10. Who is Edson Arantes do Nascimento better known as?

11. Which team plays soccer at Rugby Park?

12. Who was the first professional soccer player to be knighted?

13. Which soccer team takes its name from a Walter Scott Novel?

14. Which was the first British Soccer team to win the European Cup?

15. What is Britains northernmost first class soccer club ?

Edited by Bill

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quite easy and I know I should be getting more right, some shocking guesses from me.

1. Which famous footballer left Tottenham in 1992 to join Japanese side Grampus Eight.

Lineker

2. On a football pitch, how many yards should the penalty spot be from the goal line?

3. In what year was the first World Cup held?

4. What was the number on the back of the jersey that both Maradona and Pele said was lucky?

5. Who managed the first English side to win the European Cup?

Paisley

6. Which English football team are nicknamed the "Hornets"?

Watford

7. Which is the only country to have played in every World Cup since it started in 1930?

Uruguay

8. The book "Macca Can" was about which ex-Liverpool footballer?

McAteer probs written by Ruddock aha (this is a complete guess but them 2 on soccer am is worth a look)

9. Which European football club is nicknamed "La Vicchia Signora", which translates as "the old lady"?

Juventus

10. Who is Edson Arantes do Nascimento better known as?

Pele

11. Which team plays soccer at Rugby Park?

Stevenage

12. Who was the first professional soccer player to be knighted?

Bobby Robson

13. Which soccer team takes its name from a Walter Scott Novel?

Port Vale

14. Which was the first British Soccer team to win the European Cup?

Celtic

15. What is Britain?s northernmost first class soccer club?

Carlisledoh.gif Aberdeen

Edited by pete0

1. Which famous footballer left Tottenham in 1992 to join Japanese side Grampus Eight. LIneker

2. On a football pitch, how many yards should the penalty spot be from the goal line? 12 yards

3. In what year was the first World Cup held? 1934

4. What was the number on the back of the jersey that both Maradona and Pele said was lucky? 10

5. Who managed the first English side to win the European Cup? Matt Busby

6. Which English football team are nicknamed the "Hornets"? Watford

7. Which is the only country to have played in every World Cup since it started in 1930? Brazil

8. The book "Macca Can" was about which ex-Liverpool footballer? Steve McMananman?

10. Who is Edson Arantes do Nascimento better known as? Pele

11. Which team plays soccer at Rugby Park? Gone blank

12. Who was the first professional soccer player to be knighted? Bobby Moore?

13. Which soccer team takes its name from a Walter Scott Novel? Hearts

14. Which was the first British Soccer team to win the European Cup? Celtic

15. What is Britains northernmost first class soccer club ? Inverness Cally Thistle?

I said It was easy, just one answer missing

1. Gary Lineker

2. 12

3. 1930

4. 10

5. Matt Busby

6. Watford

7. Brazil

9. Juventus

10. Pele

11. Kilmarnock

12. Stanley Mathews.

13. Heart Of Midlothian

14. Glasgow Celtic in 1967

15. Inverness

Edited by Bill

Steve McMahon Is right Mark.

New quiz, still in the easy category, name the sportsmen in the Anagrams.

Hint ...... They are not all footballers

1. Roger Benter

2. Tom Rat R.I.P.

3. Finer Android

4. Yore One yawn

5. N. Liable

6. A Sicko tailor

7. Bar a pavior

8. Roaming on ash

9. U. Bat or darts

10. Hey! Meek lies

11. Y! one gay lush

Edited by Bill

See if i can mix it up a bit, some peeps might know more than others about a certain sport, so i will try and change the Quizzes to different sports on a regular basis

Cricket.

1. Who is the Bodyline style bowling attributed to?

2. In a One-Day match, if a team needed 8 to win from the last ball of the innings, what should the batter do?

3. Which businessman turned cricket upside-down in 1977 when he lured many test cricketers away from test matches to play World Series Cricket?

4. Who was the first batsman to score more than 500 runs in a single first-class innings?

5. Who was the first batsman to be given out 'obstructing the field' in test match cricket:

6. With which spinner did Nicorette chewing gum manufacturers sign a four-month deal on condition that he did not smoke during that period?

7. When a bowler oversteps his mark, or is called for 'chucking', what would be the umpire's ruling?

8. Which team featured for the first time in the 1992, cricket World Cup.

9. Whose record did Len Hutton break when he set the record for the highest score ever made by an Englishman?

10. Which famous cricketer had a Test batting average of 99.94? (Clue: He was'nt English)smile.png

11. Which player was dropped from his team though he had scored a double century in the prior test match:

12. Except for the fact that they are all Indian, what do K.S Ranjitsinghji, K.S Duleepsinghji, B.C Khanna, P.B Dutta, Swaranjit Singh, Santhosh Reddy and A.N Bhatia all have in common?

Edited by Bill

As an avid follower of Lancashire, celebrations this year, for the first time since 1937, I should get some of these.

1. Who is the Bodyline style bowling attributed to? Harold Larwood who got fast bowler Douglas Jardine to bowl at the body and down the leg-side, in the 1930's, i think.

2. In a One-Day match, if a team needed 8 to win from the last ball of the innings, what should the batter do? Hit a six and hope it's a no-ball or run four and hope they get four overthrows OR am I missing the obvious?

3. Which businessman turned cricket upside-down in 1977 when he lured many test cricketers away from test matches to play World Series Cricket? Kerry Packer

4. Who was the first batsman to score more than 500 runs in a single first-class innings? Brian Lara for Warwicks against Durham, I think.

5. Who was the first batsman to be given out 'obstructing the field' in test match cricket: MMM Graham Gooch was given out for handball, I presume that isn't the same?

6. With which spinner did Nicorette chewing gum manufacturers sign a four-month deal on condition that he did not smoke during that period? Phil Tuffnell was a smoker, have to say him.

7. When a bowler oversteps his mark, or is called for 'chucking', what would be the umpire's ruling? No Ball

8. Which team featured for the first time in the 1992, cricket World Cup. South Africa

9. Whose record did Len Hutton break when he set the record for the highest score ever made by an Englishman? W G grace or Wally Hammond

10. Which famous cricketer had a Test batting average of 99.94? (Clue: He was'nt English)smile.png Sir Donald Bradman, who was once out for a pair playing at Liverpool (Aigburth)

11. Which player was dropped from his team though he had scored a double century in the prior test match: Geoff Boycott, for being too slow.

12. Except for the fact that they are all Indian, what do K.S Ranjitsinghji, K.S Duleepsinghji, B.C Khanna, P.B Dutta, Swaranjit Singh, Santhosh Reddy and A.N Bhatia all have in common? All took 10 wickets in an innings OR all played for England as they had English passports, obviously many years ago?

Edited by The Beard

1. Who is the Bodyline style bowling attributed to? Harold Larwood who got fast bowler Douglas Jardine to bowl at the body and down the leg-side, in the 1930's, i think.

Was the other way round...Jardine was the captain and Larwood was the fast bowler who, along with the others, put Jardines "leg theory" into practice. It was specifically dreamed up to try and get Don Bradman out.

And I think six was Shane Warne...certainly he got photographed smoking at an IPL match recently and I'm pretty sure I heard something about a sponsorship deal at the time.

Was the other way round...Jardine was the captain and Larwood was the fast bowler who, along with the others, put Jardines "leg theory" into practice. It was specifically dreamed up to try and get Don Bradman out.

And I think six was Shane Warne...certainly he got photographed smoking at an IPL match recently and I'm pretty sure I heard something about a sponsorship deal at the time.

Oops my mistake Mike regarding Larwood and Jardine and Shane Warne sounds good, if correct, as he would probably do something like that as part of his overall make up. I know Tuffers enjoyed a drag so must be one of them.

I managed to get Stuart Broad and after establishing the link of England footballers and England cricketers I still got nowhere getting Graham Onions. crying.gif

Am not a cricket fan so was just working round the names i'd heard of, y'day ravi was the only one i could manage. Onions was a bugger, I thought the first name was Noah, and the only Noah I've heard of has an arc and no surname.