IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

If they can be relegated while still taking a few points off sides around us (like tonight) then I'll be very happy. I don't like them and would love to see them go down.

that's the funny thing about being american. all the insider logic about why to like or not like sides goes amiss on me. guess it's better that way i dunno.

If they can be relegated while still taking a few points off sides around us (like tonight) then I'll be very happy. I don't like them and would love to see them go down.

I'd like them to go down because of all the "Randy Lerner is the messiah, we had him wanting to buy us and he'd had taken us to the next level but we blew it" talk.

Nothing against them as a club.

Just read something on a goal in the Celtic/Hearts game.

"Billy King is brought down 30 yards from goal. The free-kick is rolled short to Osman Sow and the big Swede absolutely hammers a strike into the top corner. Craig Gordon could only stand and watch as the ball zipped past him."

Made me think, nobody does that any more, free kicks from score-able range are invariably dead ball strikes. Wonder why; changing the angle slightly to negate the position of the wall/keeper would seem to make sense, or at least the threat of it would unsettle defences a bit. Just seems to have gone out of fashion.

Do you remember a famous free kick a while ago (against Everton, unfortunately)? Ernie Hunt scored for Coventry after Willie Carr raised the ball in the air with a "donkey kick".

When I coached my oldest son's team, we practiced that for a lark. When the kids tried it out in a real game, they didn't score but came close. It looked so spectacular that it was a major talking point all season.

PS - here's the goal.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Do you remember a famous free kick a while ago (against Everton, unfortunately)? Ernie Hunt scored for Coventry after Willie Carr raised the ball in the air with a "donkey kick".

Remember it very well :dry:. We lost 3-1 from memory.

Edit: Was 3-1, just checked to ensure my memory wasn't playing tricks. We'd had a midweek European Cup game in Iceland on the Wednesday though in our defence, lads were tired :(.

I just can't forgive the fuckers beating us a few times undeservedly.

Sat in a (neutral) pub watching the Everton Villa game which we lost 2-3 (2008?). We battered them from start to finish but Young pulled a late winner (after Lescott vollied in to draw level) well into extra time. We honestly destroyed them, peppered their goal and they had 3 shots on target, all in. Villa fan in front of me was laughing his head off (bare in mind geographically, he's more out of place than me) saying how they deserved it, that they were the better team, more clinical, faster on the ball blah blah blah we gave them the second goal and the third one was a hit and hope. I returned with the facts, we peppered them and his ignorant, stupid responses and then Martin O'Neil's press conference implying they deserved it and that they were the better side and it was soo one sided in Villa's favour, made me insta-rage and wanted to throw something at the TV.

What made it worse, Young spent most of the game on the floor, rolling around, diving and conning the ref, who ate it up. He gave them everything! It was us vs them (and the ref) and we battered them, but not in result.

I understand you defend your team but to outright ignore the facts and lie, infuriated me so much, i've hated Villa ever since.

Edited by Lowensda

Sat in a (neutral) pub watching the Everton Villa game which we lost 2-3 (2008?). We battered them from start to finish but Young pulled a late winner (after Lescott vollied in to draw level) well into extra time. We honestly destroyed them, peppered their goal and they had 3 shots on target, all in. Villa fan in front of me was laughing his head off (bare in mind geographically, he's more out of place than me) saying how they deserved it, that they were the better team, more clinical, faster on the ball blah blah blah we gave them the second goal and the third one was a hit and hope. I returned with the facts, we peppered them and his ignorant, stupid responses and then Martin O'Neil's press conference implying they deserved it and that they were the better side and it was soo one sided in Villa's favour, made me insta-rage and wanted to throw something at the TV.

What made it worse, Young spent most of the game on the floor, rolling around, diving and conning the ref, who ate it up. He gave them everything! It was us vs them (and the ref) and we battered them, but not in result.

I understand you defend your team but to outright ignore the facts and lie, infuriated me so much, i've hated Villa ever since.

Not that you hold a grudge at all!

Seen the carrot last night, was too busy watching the revenant on my shiny new Nvidia shield (which is awesome by the way)

I feel sorry for Villa as it stands - moreso I feel pretty sorry for Lerner. My Villa supporting mate (yeah got one of those too - haven't got a birmingham fan friend fortunately) has more on this subject than all of us put together.

If anyone has actually looked at what he has done in terms of investing in that club they wouldn't be making comments that reflect badly on him regarding villas plight... He is the victim/fool of trusting one man - too much and that man is currently plying his trade where transfer money and wages in not involved - Mr Martin O'Neil, a compete and utter football charlatan if there ever was one.

Old Doug Ellis promised x y and z to Villa fans - he was lucky in the sense that he appointed decent enough managers but basically never invested any money into the club - they never had a quality training ground, their stadium needed work to realise some added revenue, they needed debt clearing. In essence they were in a mess.

So lerner came in, gave them bodymoor heath - one of the best training facilities in the country, rennovated the trinity stand. Gave Martin O'neill over £120m to spend on players in 4 years, this is back when £120m would be like a manager getting £250m now.

So..... lets put it another way.... (and I'm no massive Moyes fan, but he knew how to pick a player)..... Lerner comes in - clears our debt, actually buys Finch Farm (not rent) - rennovates Goodison to increase match day revenue, and gives David Moyes £30m a year average (over 4 years) to add to a squad of players that included james Beattie, Mcfadden, Van der meyde and we wouldn#t have pushed on???

As I have already said, I'm no massive Moyes fan but as a football manager he would have taken Lerners money and made us a major force - as it happens Lerner trusted a man with a big gob, big ego, who wanted more money to eradicate the mistakes a poor manager makes.

So there is my response - lerner trusted the wrong man, does that make make him a poor chairman??? Well Steve Gibson is supposedly one of the best chairmen around for doing exactly the same thing with Bryan Robson - even though they got relegated too...

Lerner backing Moyes, clearing debt, owning training complex, improving stadium in the mid noughties = success IMO.

I concur. Don't think Lerner's done a bad job. More nice stadium since he's been involved.

Lambert hasn't helped either. Sold all their stars and replaced them with either very young or inexperienced players. Pulled that squad apart. I wouldn't know half of their starting 11.

Edited by Lowensda

I concur. Don't think Lerner's done a bad job. More nice stadium since he's been involved.

Lambert hasn't helped either. Sold all their stars and replaced them with either very young or inexperienced players. Pulled that squad apart. I wouldn't know half of their starting 11.

Funny isn't it - Kenwright gets great credit for supporting his managers and giving them freedom of choice rather than comittees etc, Lerner gets criticism for it.

The difference is Kenright got the right managers in which has eridicated his lack of investement in the club - essentially his managers have used player trading as a means of generating money - Lerners managers lost them massive amounts of money in transfer activity and that is the difference.

Had a similar experience. Watched it in didsbury with a united, and Liverpool fan. Young was bollocks, MOTD player. The United fan still brings it up now and again and laughs. Grr!

who appointed Lambert and signed off on the sales and signings?

who appointed Lambert and signed off on the sales and signings?

There was many a poster on here in favour of Lambert when he was at Norwich? I know I was... he tried to drastically overhaul the mistakes made by MON which was overpaid, overpriced and too old and threw out the baby with the bath water.

The days when chairmen stand in the way of signings or influence signings over the managers is when you have a set up like QPR, Newcastle and most recently Liverpool. It does not work - simple as that. You hire the manager and back him - even Sherwood expressed his appreciation of this regarding Lerner.

I get SO frustrated that United eke out games by a single lucky goal after playing some of the most dour, uninspiring football played in recent years. They just don't deserve it. But today, it's OK. :)

Yeah I though Louis van gaal was the pep guardiola predescor for beautiful football? Not sure how you go from barca tactics to the crap here serves up over there. Strange.