IGNORED

Everton v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 1897-2013

THFC6061

A2064_zps72758a0b.jpg

Everton visit Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Sunday 7th April 2013 (KO 14:05) in the 32nd round of Premier League matches for the 2012-13 season.

Everton come into the match in 6th place in the League on 51 points, while Spurs are in 3rd place on 57 points

This will be the 171st time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in April 1897 in an end of season friendly match at Tottenham Marshes which Spurs won 2-1. Everton were founder-members of the Football League and had just finished 7th in the First Division while Spurs were in the Southern League and had finished 4th.

A further friendly was played at Goodison Park on New Year's Day 1902 which Everton won 3-1.

The clubs' first competitive match came in the old First Round (today's Third Round) of the FA Cup in February 1904 at Goodison Park which Spurs won 2-1 with a Vivian Woodward goal and an own goal from Everton's Balmer.

Both clubs embarked on a central European tour in the summer of 1905 an met twice with Everton winning both matches 2-0 in Vienna and 1-0 in Prague.

A second FA Cup meeting came in January 1908 with Spurs losing 1-0 at Everton.

At the end of that season, both Spurs and Everton set sail for a tour of South America and played two exhibition matches in Palermo, Argentina with the first game drawn 0-0 and Everton winning the second 4-0. On the voyage home, Spurs 'borrowed' the ship captain's parrot who lived happilly for a decade at the Tottenham offices in the High Road until it dropped dead the day news came through that Arsenal had stolen Spurs' First Division place in 1919.

The first Football League meetings came in the First Division in the 1909-10 season with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison and Spurs winning 3-0 at the Lane.

The clubs then met regularly in the First Division up to season 1927-28 with eight wins for Spurs, ten wins for Everton and eight matches drawn.

The only League meetings between the two clubs outside the Top Flight of English Football came in season 1930-31 in the Second Division with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison Park and Spurs winning 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The clubs met for two more seasons in Division One before the outbreak of World War Two with a win apiece and two games drawn.

Spurs won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 3-0 at home in 1934 and a 5th round tie at home in 1937 4-3 after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

The first meeting after WW2 came in the 5th Round at Goodison Park in February 1950 with Everton winning 1-0.

Spurs regained their First Division status in 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Everton on their way to the first Football League Championship won by Tottenham Hotspur with a 2-1 away win and a 3-0 home win. Everton lost their First Division place that same season along with Sheffield Wednesday, while Chelsea escaped the drop on goal average.

Everton were back in the First Division for the 1954-55 season and the clubs have met in the Top Flight for every subsequent season to date, except for 1977-78 when Spurs dropped down to the Second Division for one season.

Bill Nicholson's first game as Tottenham's manager came at White Hart Lane in October 1958 and Spurs were 6-1 up at half-time and went on to beat Everton 10-4.

A League game at White Hart Lane in December 1969 was abandoned due to floodlight failure after 29 minutes.

The two clubs met in February and March of 1986 in a competition called the Screen Sport Super Cup, which was introduced to give teams who would have qualified for the European competitions some compensation, as English clubs were banned from Europe. The first match at White Hart Lane ended goalless while Everton won the return leg 3-1.

The only Football League Cup meeting between the clubs came in the Fourth Round in October 2009 with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane with goals from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Everton were founder-members of the Premier League and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present for the entire 21 seasons of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Spurs have taken more points off Everton in the Premier League than from any other opponent. The 71 points won by Spurs against Everton in the 40 matches played to date gives an average of 1.775 points won per game.

The 2010-11 meetings in the Premier League only yielded one point for Spurs, which came in a 1-1 draw at the Lane in October 2010. The reverse fixture in January 2011 was won 1-2 by Everton. The Toffees' goals were scored by Leighton Baines at Spurs and Louis Saha & Seamus Coleman at Goodison Park. Rafael van der Vaart scored both Spurs' goals last season.

Spurs' home game last season was re-arranged from the opening day to January 2012 due to rioting in the Tottenham area. Spurs won the match 2-0 with goals from Aaron Lennon and a belter from Benoit Assou-Ekotto. During the January transfer window, Spurs signed Everton's French striker Louis Saha while Steven Pienaar moved in the opposite direction on loan until the end of the season. The match at Goodison Park in March 2012 was won 1-0 by Everton when Nikica Jelavic scored his first goal for the club in the 22nd minute.

During the Summer of 2012, Everton re-signed Steven Pienaar from Spurs on a permanent basis.

Everton won the fixture at Goodison Park in December 2012 with two very late goals in injury time from Steven Pienaar and Nikica Jelavic after Clint Dempsey had put Tottenham ahead after 76 minutes.

Overall, Everton have won 59 of the 170 matches played so far with Tottenham winning 61 and 50 matches drawn.

A2065_zps43afa8fd.jpg

Full History of Everton v Tottenham Hotspur Matches 1897-2013

A2068_zps01bdf0f4.jpg

They Played for Everton & Spurs...

Jamie Attwell
John Barlow
Nick Barmby
John Brearley
Frank Brettell (Everton player, Spurs manager)
Charlie Brown
Bob Cain
John Cameron (also Spurs manager)
Simon Davies
Anthony Gardner
Paul Gascoigne
David Ginola
Richard Gough

Charlie O'Hagan
Ted Hughes
Pat Jennings
Steve Kelly
John Kirwan
Gary Lineker
Bobby Mimms

Charlie Morgan
Steven Pienaar
Robert Pilch
Louis Saha
Vinny Samways
Pat Van den Hauwe

John Watson
Alex 'Sandy' Young

A2067_zpsc53e964d.jpg

Everton Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2012-13

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2012-13

A2091_zpsdecfafb1.jpg

A2092_zpsee271a99.jpg

Why on earth would you guys take a draw? dont%20know.gif

We're Everton. We are better than Spurs, and nothing but a win is going to be worth the journey as we are chasing European places.

We still have to play Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea.

Some look at those fixtures with doom and gloom. I personally look at them as the best possible fixtures we could hope for, as the destiny of our finishing position is in our own hands. Win 'all' our remaining fixtures, and we will 'probably' finish in the top 4, if not 3rd.

Going to be a tough game and whilst Bale is obviously a threat and Defoe is always lively given half a chance I certainly think we have the ability to win this match. If we show the same determination as we did against City then I'm confident we will.

Idiots. It's one of the best match day threads I've ever seen and the author put together a superlative piece for the upcoming event. I don't give a fuck who does the match day games anymore, more important aspects of life to worry about, but once again, THFC6061 has done a great job with it.

Going to be tough. They've put together a dangerous side that will surely obtain a european place for next season and even though we've done well in the last six or seven years there, our overall record at their venue in disappointing. I don't believe we're better than Tottenham right now, as someone stated. Don't be surprised if a defeat is handed out. Wish I could be more hopeful, but worth noting we invariably play better against the more heavyweight opposition of this league.

Tottenham 2 Everton 1

Idiots. It's one of the best match day threads I've ever seen and the author put together a superlative piece for the upcoming event. I don't give a fuck who does the match day games anymore, more important aspects of life to worry about, but once again, THFC6061 has done a great job with it.

Going to be tough. They've put together a dangerous side that will surely obtain a european place for next season and even though we've done well in the last six or seven years there, our overall record at their venue in disappointing. I don't believe we're better than Tottenham right now, as someone stated. Don't be surprised if a defeat is handed out. Wish I could be more hopeful, but worth noting we invariably play better against the more heavyweight opposition of this league.

Tottenham 2 Everton 1

Can't you 'just once' not mess a match thread up? dont%20know.gif

My match-day threads are better. wub.png

Just found out that Gareth Bale is yet to score past us in his career, so we need to mark him up tightly as he'll want to cross us off his list. Apparently he's failed to find the net against both us and Sunderland.

My match-day threads are better. wub.png

Just found out that Gareth Bale is yet to score past us in his career, so we need to mark him up tightly as he'll want to cross us off his list. Apparently he's failed to find the net against both us and Sunderland.

Indeed.

But the way he's playing at the moment, you wouldn't want to bet against him ending the season with Premier League goals scored against all the other 19 clubs...

P0229_zps33d1be06.png

I don't like him at all but you can't deny he's in a great run of form.

What really annoys me is that "heart" gesture when he scores; everyone knows, get over yourself!

Also the fact that he's such an ugly bastard that if he wasn't a mega rich footballer he'd struggle to pull at a partially sighted pensioners speed dating night.

You know what's going to happen right... we're going to pull off a massive win against Spurs, and then bottle it against QPR next week... I so very hope not, but I see it coming.

That aside, this game should see what our manager and lads are made of. Happy that DM was willing to tinker around with the formation and tactics. Wasn't a convincing win, but it did the job against Stoke. Tottenham are doing well, so it will be two in form teams. I reckon it will be 2 - 1. Osman and Big Vic to score.

I dont know if Moysie will stick with the three at the back, With Spurs playing one up front normally he might not but with Bainesy and Shamus tucking into midfield maybe he played that formation to get the players ready for Spurs. Pack the midfield and limit the space for Bale to run into. I like the idea of the rest of the season is in our own hands. Spurs,Arse,Shite and Chelski all away. If Moyes wants to go out with a bang now is his chance. Definately gonna be a goal fest

Didn't realise Pienaar misses this one too.

I'd like to see 442 for this one. Pace down the wings to pin Spurs back and Gibbo-Osman to stop them playing in the middle and have the passing range to get us forward. Really think Jela and Vic work well together, but it doesn't quite work if Anichebe is deep. Neither Distin or Heits deserve to be dropped, but I can't see Moyes leaving his favourite out so I'd rather it be Distin as he looked a little jaded last game.

Howard

Coleman Jags Heitinga Baines

Mirallas Gibson Osman Oviedo

Anichebe Jelavic

Can see us getting twatted with that team to be honest Mirrallas and Oviedo arent typical wide players in a 442. I think Moyes will go back to 451 Vic up top. Id play Super Kev on the right and Oviedo on left to give Lennon a running race. Gibbo sitting with Ossie and Ross in midfield.

Yeh 4-5-1 for me too. Lets be difficult to break down and catch them on the break. They have shown vulnerability to that this season and we can make it count.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Hitz

Mirallas Gibson Osman Oviedo

Vic

Id even be tempted to put Heitinga in as a true DM because he can do that. Its when he is played as a CM that he is woeful.

Much rather start Hitz then put Johnny anywhere near any form of midfield roll...

-----------------Howard

Coleman---Johnny----Distin---Baines

-----------------Gibson

Mirallas---------Osman---------Oviedo

-------------Jelavic

-----------------------Vic

Much rather start Hitz then put Johnny anywhere near any form of midfield roll...

-----------------Howard

Coleman---Johnny----Distin---Baines

-----------------Gibson

Mirallas---------Osman---------Oviedo

-------------Jelavic

-----------------------Vic

No jags?