IGNORED

Striker - affordable - scores goals - not too old. Name one.

Can we afford this guy?

benteke_2547815b.jpg

I doubt it, Villa payed £7m and they'll want a whole lot more after he scored 19 Premier League goals (and 6 for Belgium, 4 in the League Cup, 3 in the Belgian League and 1 in the Europa League qualifiers with his former team).

If £5m is considered affordable: Carlos Bacca. Top scorer of the Belgian league in his first year: a whopping 25 league goals, Columbian international, very quick feet and skilled. Also followed by Sevilla and Valencia. Club Brugge will let him go.

Edited by Mirallas

Jozy Altidore has been good this season has scored 23 goals in 33 games for AZ bare in mind it's the Dutch league but he's been impressive this season. Andreas Cornelius. Wissam Ben yedder is more of a number 10 or an attacking midfielder but he has scored 15 goals in ligue 1 this season and he is only 22. Jelle vossen

24 years old and scored 16 goals in the Belgium league another would be Ezekiel of standard liege 19 years old Nigerian forward with 14 goals this season. Wilfried bony 31 league goals this season. Alfred finnbogason 24 goals this season and 24 years old I think.

I think most strikers who have done well in the Premier League will probably be rather expensive, can't really think of one who I like and who we could get. Romelu Lukaku on loan? Loic Remy? Darren Bent will probably be available, but he's turning 30 and I don't really like him as a player. I'd have John Guidetti, but not as the one we have all our hopes pinned on.

I know a fair bit about the Belgian and Dutch leagues. There's very few I like for us in those leagues.

In Belgium, there's Carlos Bacca and Ilombé Mboyo (he rejected Norwich last January). Both are 26 and have never proven themselves outside of the poor Belgian league, I'd rather not take the risk with either. While Bacca has been very prolific, I fear he might not have the power and pace to make it here. Jelle Vossen and Imoh Ezekiel don't fit into the 1-striker-system we're likely playing. There's also 19-year-old Michy Batshuayi. He's very skilled on the ball and athletically gifted, but the two coaches he's had this year have both publicly complained about his effort in training, the first one actually didn't even play him because of his lack of effort. The Belgian U21 head coach also sent him back to his club because he had invited call girls to his hotel room. So there's character concerns, but he's very talented if someone could sort him out.

In Holland there's Wilfried Bony of whom I'm pretty sure he'd do well. There's Jozy Altidore who I'd take a gamble on. And there's Ola Toivonen and Siem De Jong who can play both midfield and as a striker, who I'd take for the right money as well. Don't want Pelle or Finnbogason.

I hope Martinez could get a Spaniard in. Real Madrid's Alvaro Morata or some other youngster I've never heard of :D

Edited by Steve_E

Lukaku - Now Mourinho is back I think they will spend big on a striker and could push him further back in the pecking order which seems ludicrous really considering he's pretty proven now but that's football for you.

Guidetti - admittedly not seen a great deal of him but he to ticks most of the boxes and has bags of potential.

31?! wow. the way he plays I thought he was around 25...

Apologies to Av to, didnt see the "name 1" part :unsure:

I like Lambert too, but too old mate. He 'should' at least have gotten a call up simply for recognition. The 'one' wasn't meant as a number, but more as 'name a striker' so you have my forgiveness.

Lukaku on loan (or in a swap deal involving Fellaini).

Can you believe this guy is only 20?

1127573_151343.jpg

While Bacca has been very prolific, I fear he might not have the power and pace to make it here.

Pace is Bacca's biggest asset, apart from his distinct nose for goals. And while he's not reallly physically strong, the players he's played with and against have all said you can't push him off the ball, cause he sort of "bends" away and still retains his balance somehow. (I can think of a few ELP strikers who aren't "strong" btw) While some think he might not be suitable, I actually think he's a hidden gem for the Premier League.

Pace is Bacca's biggest asset, apart from his distinct nose for goals. And while he's not reallly physically strong, the players he's played with and against have all said you can't push him off the ball, cause he sort of "bends" away and still retains his balance somehow. (I can think of a few ELP strikers who aren't "strong" btw) While some think he might not be suitable, I actually think he's a hidden gem for the Premier League.

You obviously know him better than me, so I'll trust your instincts. He's always struck me more as a good finisher, rather than an exceptional athlete though. It's always hard to say whether someone from Belgium will be able to make the step up. A lot of players do well in Belgium, but they all get a lot more time and space on the ball and have to do less running because of the lower pace of the game, unless they have played in European games or internationally it's hard to say which ones are good because of all that time and space and which ones would be good regardless. I wouldnt have taken the gamble with Benteke for £7m last season for example, so Bacca could very well do fine here. Benteke was younger and an outstanding athlete though, I don't think Bacca is as good as him, plus he's older too. I'd still rather pass.

You obviously know him better than me, so I'll trust your instincts. He's always struck me more as a good finisher, rather than an exceptional athlete though. It's always hard to say whether someone from Belgium will be able to make the step up. A lot of players do well in Belgium, but they all get a lot more time and space on the ball and have to do less running because of the lower pace of the game, unless they have played in European games or internationally it's hard to say which ones are good because of all that time and space and which ones would be good regardless. I wouldnt have taken the gamble with Benteke for £7m last season for example, so Bacca could very well do fine here. Benteke was younger and an outstanding athlete though, I don't think Bacca is as good as him, plus he's older too. I'd still rather pass.

Well I'm indeed a Club Brugge fan, they're my local team. There is one reason though why Bacca may not succeed in England and that's his selfish habits. He usually wants to go for the goal on his own. England is much more of a teamplay league than Belgium is and cause the level is so much higher, he might not always pull it off on his own, so if he stays selfish, he's probably going to miss out on quite a few goals. Apart from that, I rate him higher than Jelavic.

This is Bacca btw. He's definitely the most accomplished striker in Belgium at the moment and he does appear rather quick :D

And that's Batshuayi. That vid is a couple of months old so it doesn't include a couple of stunners he's made recently.

I think with strikers, you need to be instinctive, but also lucky.

Little moments can turn your whole season, and put you in the zone, or in the doldrums. Professional sportsmen who become the best are often super strong psychologically, and it's often how you deal with your bad spells, not your good spells, that keeps you at the top.

Many clubs dive in for players who have had one good season, and spend a fortune for players who turn out to be indifferent once taken out of their comfort zone. Very few go on to other clubs and remain prolific. Those that do are generally the cream of the crop, and are helped by the fact their move was to a bigger club, but fewer go to lesser clubs with success. I think we should always seek to recruit lower league talent when possible, as their move upwards is often the trigger that awakens their potential.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/top_scorers/default.stm

Little moments can turn your whole season, and put you in the zone, or in the doldrums. Professional sportsmen who become the best are often super strong psychologically, and it's often how you deal with your bad spells, not your good spells, that keeps you at the top.

Many clubs dive in for players who have had one good season, and spend a fortune for players who turn out to be indifferent once taken out of their comfort zone. Very few go on to other clubs and remain prolific. Those that do are generally the cream of the crop, and are helped by the fact their move was to a bigger club, but fewer go to lesser clubs with success. I think we should always seek to recruit lower league talent when possible, as their move upwards is often the trigger that awakens their potential.

Charlie Austin could do a job if he was playing as a like striker.

I also like Shane Long but dunno if we could afford him!

Geez Avin, did I just catch you writing a well explained on-topic valuable reaction using logical reasoning?

I was impressed a few years ago with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. He is still only 27, and still a terrific striker in my opinion.

Charlie Austin is the one for me though. Weren't we linked heavily with him last year? Rhodes would cost us too much. Blackburn paid a few quid for him.

How come most are lookin at the shitty dutch belgian type leagues?

Our own Championship beats most of these foreign leagues.

Jordan Rhodes for me. To score 30 odd goals for that pile of crap...worth a shot.

It's because I'm Belgian. 4 of the top 6 goal scorers in the Prem this year were bought from shitty dutch and belgian leagues btw.