IGNORED

Joel Robles

I wonder if there will be any money left over to get some more Wigan players in January

To be fair I think Martinez is being very prudent here - if he has the benefit of knowing first hand players strengths and weaknesses then why not steal a march and get what could be absolute bargains. Do his 'safe' transfers first and then look at what he left to play with when we know what will happen with Fellaini and Baines. He ain't gonna bring in players that he thinks will offer us nothing - unless getting beat each week is his aim. I like the approach he's taking.

I think it would be ignorant on my part to outright dismiss a player simply because he played for Wigan.

That being said, the lack of creativity in our purchases does concern me. There is LITERALLY an entire world of football players, many of whom are or at least have the potential to be EPL quality and would love to join a team like Everton. Yet we have tunnel vision and have narrowed our scope to one single team; a very mediocre team at that. By all means, if these are guys who truly will make Everton a better team then add them. But one has to wonder if these signings are made for those reasons or instead because they are convenient and familiar.

I think it would be ignorant on my part to outright dismiss a player simply because he played for Wigan.

That being said, the lack of creativity in our purchases does concern me. There is LITERALLY an entire world of football players, many of whom are or at least have the potential to be EPL quality and would love to join a team like Everton. Yet we have tunnel vision and have narrowed our scope to one single team; a very mediocre team at that. By all means, if these are guys who truly will make Everton a better team then add them. But one has to wonder if these signings are made for those reasons or instead because they are convenient and familiar.

I dont think it would be ignorant to dismiss signing 4 Wigan/ex-Wigan players at all. We look really stupid right now.

I dont think it would be ignorant to dismiss signing 4 Wigan/ex-Wigan players at all. We look really stupid right now.

Robles would be a good signing and was part of their late rally towards the end of the season. nothing on the OS yet though...

Everyone keeps on going about us being linked to Wigan players. We might as well change our name to wigan, start playing at DW stadium bla bla bla

I remember the Martinez thread full of post hoping that he would take a few players with him. McCarthy, Mcmannamon, some even mentioned Kone as a good option. (myself included)

So as I see it, theres apparently nothing wrong with being rumoured to be interested in Wigan players as long as they are the right ones. (McCarthy, McMannamon etc) Complain about the players we are linked with, not the clubs they have played for

Now we have ONE! There are bound to be rumours, nothing is true unless its confirmed.

Everyone keeps on going about us being linked to Wigan players. We might as well change our name to wigan, start playing at DW stadium bla bla bla

I remember the Martinez thread full of post hoping that he would take a few players with him. McCarthy, Mcmannamon, some even mentioned Kone as a good option. (myself included)

So as I see it, theres apparently nothing wrong with being rumoured to be interested in Wigan players as long as they are the right ones. (McCarthy, McMannamon etc) Complain about the players we are linked with, not the clubs they have played for

Now we have ONE! There are bound to be rumours, nothing is true unless its confirmed.

Thing is though, what actually sent Wigan down? the manager? well we are stuck with him for the time being although it's fair to say he showed at Swansea under the right conditions he does have something else to offer. So it comes down to the players, if they are not good enough to do a job for Wigan, then there is no way on hells earth they are going to be good enough to do one for Everton. We are 2 teams at opposite ends of the spectrum and i don't give a monkeys how much Martinez says how well he knows a player(ie Kone) i honestly don't see how these players can offer us anything. Im waiting to be proved wrong.

The only one who i do think might be useful IS this one. Like i said in my post above, reading through the comments at the bottom, the Athletico fans say we are getting a good young keeper and they all wish him well. The only worrying thing is a couple who mention about a buy back clause if they can't get Courtois on a permanent deal next year.

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time I don't know if you fully understand what others (or at least, I) am saying. The point is that we believe the only reason for the signings is BECAUSE of the Wigan link. If a McCarthy was playing for Reading he'd still probably be a player of interest. If Kone et al were Reading property instead...? I don't think we'd even put in inquiries for them.

Robles would be a good signing and was part of their late rally towards the end of the season. nothing on the OS yet though...

I would like Alacaraz. I would like Kone. I would like Robles. I would like Diame.

I wouldn't like all 4 of them.

That's the best way I cant put my point haha.

Alacaraz - no brainer getting him as a free transfer - as a back-up squad defender.

Kone - A decent buy at £5M, we need another striker who can do the business now rather than a more risky 'prospect'.

Joel - Spainish U21 player. Martinez has worked with him, we need a second keeper, why look elsewhere if we can get this youngster.

Diame - £3.5M release clause makes him attractive low cost purchase (if Fellini goes)

Mosese - I am actually a fan of his and think he may be the big money youngster we should go for.

I have nothing against Martinez bringing in player he already knows and has done his research on if he is happy they will improve our current squad.

Why wouldn't he grab what he know's before somebody else does - these are his 'easy' transfer target and are bound to make up the first to arrive under his management.

Now if I was also seeing big money moves for McCathy and McMannaman, I would start to get a bit concerned.

I'd be happy with this signing, as has been mentioned, looked good at Wigan, with a very poor defence in front of him.

Rated rather highly in Spain. Doesn't look like he'll cost a bomb. Will gain experience with Howard competing. Has the potential to be a decent player.

I'm chuffed we're looking to bring in a GK who isn't an old, couple of month stopgap or someone who's not hit puberty yet. We're buying a young, established player, with plenty of big-game and tournament experience.

Yay from me.